Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

If my commentary sounds a bit disjointed in one specific place, click this. It will explain everything.

ViggyNash posted:

Please, please, please tell me we're going to the bottom of the quartz crystal next time! Everything about that reveal was utterly brilliant and I've got to know the rest.

Sorry, this video doesn't feature the quartz structure. That will have to wait for later!

After Thursday's update, I'm going to have to record some more. We caught up faster than I thought we would. That means that by the end of this week, we'll be 70% done with the game! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a real stickler for a low tempo sci-fi story so thanks for LPing this game and bringing it to my attention. I think by this point the mechanics would have been something to endure rather than enjoy, but watching you do all the hard work instead is oddly soothing.

Also as I'm currently playing through Borderlands 2 again, I'm wondering if they literally told the voice actor for the AI to sound like a less manic CL4P-TP. I'm assuming it's not the same guy as I think in Borderlands it's just some Gearbox employee rather than a bonafide voice actor. Either way, it's a bit of a weak point and the <insert robotic voice here> joke is getting old fast.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Fwoderwick posted:

I'm a real stickler for a low tempo sci-fi story so thanks for LPing this game and bringing it to my attention. I think by this point the mechanics would have been something to endure rather than enjoy, but watching you do all the hard work instead is oddly soothing.

Also as I'm currently playing through Borderlands 2 again, I'm wondering if they literally told the voice actor for the AI to sound like a less manic CL4P-TP. I'm assuming it's not the same guy as I think in Borderlands it's just some Gearbox employee rather than a bonafide voice actor. Either way, it's a bit of a weak point and the <insert robotic voice here> joke is getting old fast.

Near I can tell, the voice of ART is Erik Vale. He did do voices in Borderlands and Borderlands 2, but I don't think it was for CL4P-TP.
Wikipedia lists him as Boom and Will the Bandit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh come on ART, you might be a cheeky AI but I can't call you intelligent if you can't get your units right. Giving a megajoule figure when asked for a force, tsk tsk.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Despite being one of the longer videos I've done for the LP, not a whole lot happens here action-wise. However, that's going to change now that we're more-or-less at the end of the game. Just have one more major primary objective to complete.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dabir posted:

Could be, but I'm mainly thinking about the harvesters, and more importantly, where they're sending the extra power. Looks like the idea is to set up a miniature self-sustaining ecosystem in each cell, then the harvester converts the byproducts of the rest of the ecosystem into energy, while simultaneously making Mars a nicer place to live. Plus with how Liang is insisting that things just happened to evolve this way, it seems to me like the big twist is going to be that he's wrong and it was all engineered.
I mean it was fairly obvious really.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Huh, this is a shorter game than I thought. In any case, I'm excited for whatever may be coming next.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
And here I was, thinking the 0TC0 revelation would be a little more extreme. Oh well.

Looking forward to the next part, I mean it's not like Liang can head back to base camp, grab a bite to eat, then head back into the caves, right?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

berryjon posted:

And here I was, thinking the 0TC0 revelation would be a little more extreme. Oh well.

Looking forward to the next part, I mean it's not like Liang can head back to base camp, grab a bite to eat, then head back into the caves, right?

Exactly! I didn't have enough time to say it in the video, but Amani had said our life support was running low. So there's no reason we can't hang around for a bit, recharge, rest up, and go back at it with a clear mind. The rescue ship is still 3 months out, so what's the big hurry?

We also get one of two upgrades in the game for going back to base camp.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Got absolutely everything but one research entry, which is impossible to get after a certain point. Getting it on a second file would also require playing back through half of the game again, so :effort:

I've got another 2 hours recorded, and a whole lot of that is gonna be turbo-speed.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Got absolutely everything but one research entry, which is impossible to get after a certain point. Getting it on a second file would also require playing back through half of the game again, so :effort:

I've got another 2 hours recorded, and a whole lot of that is gonna be turbo-speed.

Well, just show us a copy of the missing research in your next post. It's all in a guide on the steam community page.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The research for this video is kinda chaotic. It's basically the round-up point for all the research I didn't catch on camera for various reasons.

This last one is the research data that I was not able to get before it became unavailable. Basically what I was supposed to do was throw a seed at the barren terrain in the broken reservoir. This is a snapshot of the Steam research guide for the game.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

0CT0 seems like a cool personality.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
RIP Octo. You did good work.

I guess the last thing we have left to do is supply power to the core?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

If I'm not mistaken, that's all of the research!

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

That was a masterful throw at 10:36. You literally couldn't have timed it better for comic impact.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

RIP Octo. You did good work.

The body died, but 0CT0 is still alive.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

The body died, but 0CT0 is still alive.

More like Last Writes! :haw:

So did we meet the sentients in a previous video? There was so little fanfare to their appearance here that I'm thinking I may have skipped a bit somewhere. Also that minigame is some kind of LP kryptonite, I imagine it's alright to physically do but it's pretty painful to watch.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This game looks really annoying in places. It's hard to tell without having played it, but pushing those floaty seeds around looks really clunky. Herding Phyta looks kinda annoying too.

At this point I'm basically following the LP just to see how the story turns out.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Fwoderwick posted:

More like Last Writes! :haw:

So did we meet the sentients in a previous video? There was so little fanfare to their appearance here that I'm thinking I may have skipped a bit somewhere. Also that minigame is some kind of LP kryptonite, I imagine it's alright to physically do but it's pretty painful to watch.

We saw a dead sentient in I think it was the 7th video? It was where we first learned how to open the stasis pods.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Thanks for playing this game, I know that I would not have had the patience to see it through to the end myself without cheating. :v:

Can't wait to see how things are going to wrap up.

(ART is still the best [ : > ] )

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I saw this a while back and thought 'This seems interesting, I'll wait for it a bit before I watch it!' and now I watched it, and I feel as though I should have waited a bit longer. :mad:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oh great Liang, you turned on the Earth-destroying superlaser.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Thursday's video is gonna be the last one. It's gonna have all three of the endings.

64bitrobot posted:

I saw this a while back and thought 'This seems interesting, I'll wait for it a bit before I watch it!' and now I watched it, and I feel as though I should have waited a bit longer. :mad:

Do you not like it? :ohdear:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

Do you not like it? :ohdear:

No, he's saying he does not like waiting for the next one, especially since you ended the last one with a cliffhanger.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, he's saying he does not like waiting for the next one, especially since you ended the last one with a cliffhanger.

Yes this! No I love it so far, it's just very rough to be like 'Okay now I can watch it all at once!' and then, suddenly a cliffhanger

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When you were destroying all those Cephads, it made me wonder...

Would it be possible to make a species go completely extinct, and render the game unwinnable?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

When you were destroying all those Cephads, it made me wonder...

Would it be possible to make a species go completely extinct, and render the game unwinnable?

It's fully possible. It's not very likely to happen with halids, hydron, ledon, or prax. However, it's fully possible you could drive the feran or the cephad extinct. In fact, in order to complete the last chamber, I have to drive the yellow cephad to critically endangered. No living examples remain and the only spores in existence are in Liang's possession.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Apologies if the transitions between endings are a little jarring. Working out the kinks for those particular bits of code took something like six or more hours all-told. I'm just happy it worked at all.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Huh. That's a thing. And an ending or three.

I wonder how Amani would explain that last one to the GSA when they show up.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

berryjon posted:

Huh. That's a thing. And an ending or three.

I wonder how Amani would explain that last one to the GSA when they show up.
I'm far more interested in how Liang expects not to starve to death once the colony ship arrives to it's destination.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Is it possible to activate both machines sequentially?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Is it possible to activate both machines sequentially?

I just tried, triggering the "leaving the planet" ending first. The second monument can indeed activate, but it still gave precedence to leaving Mars.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

This was an interesting game. Thanks for playing it.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Wow that last ending is really...I'm not sure, solemn. Game was interesting, thanks for the LP!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I dunno, I like all of them equally. The Martians are quite clearly talented bioengineers, so I'm sure they'll think of something... And Liang gets to live a scientific dream few could dream of.

Actually, all three endings have something potentially nice happening. Either we let the aliens go on their journey.... We get new neighbours, and a long-term terraforming project to assist with... Or Liang and ART get to go on a magical space adventure.

Thanks for LPing this, Double Negative! :)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Thanks for the Let's Play, a very interesting premise, worth seeing but I can imagine the grinding aspect can be frustrating. Good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I guess after triggering the first two endings, before you walk to Amani's place, it's not possible to go back in and explore? It would be nice to see the empty hole where the core used to be.

Anyway, thanks for the LP.

• Locked thread