Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zephyrine posted:

Doom 64 had a sort of railgun thing. Personally I'm not sure how the railgun works. Sometimes it does a little damage. Sometimes it does a lot of damage. It doesn't seem to use a lot of ammo but still runs out of ammo fast.

there are collectible artifacts in each of the secret levels that power it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

does DOOM multiplayer hvae players again? i really like TDM and i was first/second place every round i played for the first two weeks, then the pop dropped off and i stopped playing. i wonder if the sales and stuff have revived it

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Demonius Darkblade's Retrogaming Dungeon.

i still type "dome" into the url bar to go to this forum...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

i still type "dome" into the url bar to go to this forum...
I just go to my user panel because if I haven't already posted in a thread it aint worth posting in.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

[standing up straighter, said a little more confidently] doom shouldnt have a railgun

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it shouldnt have cinematic takedowns either.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it shouldnt have cinematic takedowns either.

You can break off a demons rear end and then smack it in the face with it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

You can break off a demons rear end and then smack it in the face with it.

thats almost as epic as your overwatch av and gangtag combo

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

you can suck and gently caress a demon and then blow its freaking brains out with your foot. sexy but badass

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

What about the super shotgun? I get what kind of weapon they were going for. But the grenade launcher on the regular shotgun has just been invaluable to me.

When you first get the super shotgun if you have a maxed grenade on combat shotgun it's hard to see why you should switch, but by the time you max out super shotgun with mastery it's probably the best weapon in the game for most things. The mastery upgrade lets you fire it twice before reloading and even on the bigger enemies I'm always surprised how quickly they die to it

Also if you beat the game without trying out Siege Mode Gauss Cannon you missed out

Zephyrine posted:

I gave the Gauss Cannon a test run. It is ridiculously overpowered.

But it's a non-canon weapon. There has never been a Gauss cannon in a doom game and it's too late to put one in now. So I'll have to stick with the plasma rifle.

- uses same ammo as plasma rrifle
- kills a lot of things from a distance
- does a lot of damage

sounds like a bfg to me???

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When you first get the super shotgun if you have a maxed grenade on combat shotgun it's hard to see why you should switch, but by the time you max out super shotgun with mastery it's probably the best weapon in the game for most things. The mastery upgrade lets you fire it twice before reloading and even on the bigger enemies I'm always surprised how quickly they die to it

Also if you beat the game without trying out Siege Mode Gauss Cannon you missed out

- uses same ammo as plasma rrifle
- kills a lot of things from a distance
- does a lot of damage

sounds like a bfg to me???

this posts is reminding me why upgrades and poo poo in a game like doom are gay as gently caress

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HORMELCHILI posted:

you can suck and gently caress a demon and then blow its freaking brains out with your foot. sexy but badass

Can you really do this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw&t=114s

this track reminds me of something marilyn manson might've mixed up in the late 90s and i might just pick up the game for 20, i liked the demo and thought it was fun but 30 is still too much for a short SP shooter to me

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

trying to jack off posted:

this posts is reminding me why upgrades and poo poo in a game like doom are gay as gently caress

you're wrong

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hes right

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

all it needs is gun customization and a crafting system

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bobnumerotres posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw&t=114s

this track reminds me of something marilyn manson might've mixed up in the late 90s and i might just pick up the game for 20, i liked the demo and thought it was fun but 30 is still too much for a short SP shooter to me

It's real fuckin good bro

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Dongicus posted:

all it needs is gun customization and a crafting system

And weapon durability :worshipfap:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

you're a loving dumbass

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

durrr im getting rear end angry at a completely optional game feature because its not the exact same as the game from 30 years ago hurrr!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ok now imagine all those epic upgrades arent locked behind a skill tree and instead you get to use the maxed out version of every weapon by the end of the game and they balanced the game around it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

durrr im getting rear end angry at a completely optional game feature because its not the exact same as the game from 30 years ago hurrr!

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think he's right.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think weapon upgrades are retarded unless it's like in Hard Reset or maybe for slowing the pace of the game so you aren't just thrown into it with 12 weapons and they all have alt fires or whatever.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hows the multiplayer DLC?

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/doom

On sale for $30

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
official soundtrack out!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRuTYtSbJQ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just a quick question I had about the new doom:

credburn posted:

Hey, all you old-school Doom and Quake players, I have a question about Doom...um, the new Doom. Not called "The New Doom" but just "Doom" for some stupid reason. That's strike 1, new Doom! :argh:

I've never been into multiplayer games because I'm a misanthropic agoraphobic human hating fire bombing loner. So this question is specifically about the single player. Also, I'm playing with a proper mouse and keyboard, not the NES Advantage or whateverthefuck incarnation of that homophobic racist Linkin Park kids use with their 30 FPS games.

I want to pick up Doom, but I'm not entirely sold on it. I haven't actually seen any videos of it since a little bit before its release, and I wasn't really liking what I was seeing. What I saw was some frantic, wonderful running and gunning, jumping and splattering and blowing away demons and it looked like a proper update to the Doom classic, a Doom for the new generation. But then I saw that switching between weapons brought up a weird UI and it brought the game into slow motion. Well, this offends me. Doom didn't slow down for nothing. Leaping behind cover and swapping your weapon and then leaping back was part of the chaotic fun. I know it was pretty simple back then; you didn't have to reload your gun or anything. But I don't LIKE the idea of time slowing down to swap out my weapon. So I am wondering, 1) can this be disabled and 2) if it can't be disabled, do you find this hurts the gameplay, especially coming at this from the thirst for Doom-like nostalgic ultra-violence?

My next question pertains to finishing moves. I think I saw a Youtube video with a guy playing a beta of it (or something) and he said that doing finishing moves makes you invulnerable during the animation, and he went on to say that that becomes a rather necessary gameplay element, with so much going on one needs a brief break of random invulnerability. This offends me. I've been playing some other games wherein performing finishing moves makes you invulnerable, and I use this to my advantage. If it's part of the game, I'm going to use it, but I sure don't like it. I think it pulls me out of the immersion. Not the finishing moves -- that's fine -- but let me be at risk doing it. So I am wondering, 1) Does it still make you invulnerable, or was that an early build feature, 2) are there multiple finishing moves for various monsters? I don't want to see the same finishing move 100 times, and 3) do you have to initiate the finishing move, or does it just happen mid-combat?

Oh, and final question: How is health handled? Is it like classic FPS games where you have to monitor your health and go get medikits and such, or is it like pussy boo-hoo modern FPS games where you just squat behind a table and wait for your health to come back you loving pussy wimp?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Greetings fellow Goons. Call me EricHarris69. Big Doom fan here... thjat's the OG Doom, heh (not that Doom is "Gangsta", rap is degenerate garbage for the masses). My three "pet hates" are Linkin Park, human interaction and weapon wheels. I'm scared of the sky... any of you loving pussies got a problem with that? I'm an arsonist.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

hows the multiplayer DLC?

The multiplayer in the game is not great in the first place.

Though on the plus side if you do play MP, only the host actually has to own the DLC.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdsuUlEP57g

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

In Training posted:

He's right.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Nice

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The single-player is really good though

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ill never understand why people on these forums need to write five paragraphs of embarassing words to ask a sentence long question

• Locked thread