Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You may remember the numerous explanations that child sexual abuse in the Catholic church was an old problem, that all the molestation happened in the past, that things were hunky-dory now what with the new safeguards. Surprise!

On June 15th, 2015 Ramsey County attorney John Choi filed charges (pdf) against the St. Paul-Minneapolis archdiocese, calling out Archbishop Nienstedt and his deputy in particular. If you don't want to read the PDF, see the Guardian story. The archdiocese had known since the 1990s that the abusing priest, Curtis Wehmeyer, had substance problems, personality problems, and chastity problems; in 2001 they went ahead and ordained him anyway. In January 2004 Wehmeyer got a citation for hanging out in an area used for cruising. Sometime during that year Wehmeyer was spotted leaving the boys' room in St. Joseph's school and was told to stop; the archdiocese was notified and the then- Archbishop Flynn agreed to act as Wehmeyer's "spiritual adviser". In May 2004 Wehmeyer tried to pick up two young-looking men in a Barnes and Noble; a parishioner, P.M., contacted the archdiocese because he was worried that the young men appeared to be the ages of his own sons, then 15 and 17. The then-Archbishop told P.M. that this was just "thrill seeking, playing with fire, and a misunderstanding." The usual story continues, with Wehmeyer being referred for treatment but not getting it, partial information being given to parishes about Wehmeyer, and the Archdiocese shuffling Wehmeyer around. Wehmeyer was assigned to a group called "POMS" (Promoter of Material Standards") monitoring to be watched and evalutated for sexual and substance problems. POMS doesn't actually monitor anything.

In 2008, Archbishop Nienstedt takes over. SSDD. In June 2009 the Archbishop appoints Wehmeyer to be pastor of two churches, ignoring a warning from Jennifer Haselberger (see below) about his record. Children get abused, the Archdiocese is told, nothing happens. Lather, rinse, repeat. As always, when the Archdiocese can no longer ignore Wehmeyer's behavior, the archdiocese minimizes it and assure complainers that Wehmeyer has repented now.

In June 2012, Jennifer Haselberger, the archdiocese's former chancellor for canonical affairs, gets tired of the coverups and goes to the police. Note the timeline: that's eight years after the Archdiocese was warned, explicitly, about Wehmeyer's inappropriate behavior with children. Once an actual investigation starts, it turns out that several other priests were abusing children in this time period. In June 2015 (see above) the formal indictments go down.

June 15th Nienstedt resigns -- the resignation is actually accepted promptly by the Vatican, which is an improvement over previous Vatican reactions -- with the comment "“I leave with a clear conscience knowing that my team and I have put in place solid protocols to ensure the protection of minors and vulnerable adults....”

Good to know his conscience is clear. So, presumably, is Wehmeyer's.

e: I meant to tag this as "Patriarchy", but somehow I misclicked.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/ex-pastor-on-probation-for-sex-assault-caught-molesting-another-child-while-wearing-ankle-monitor/

Moving the priests to other parishes not only makes the church look bad but faith in general.

I don't go to church anymore, I used to but there is no peace to be found there, just misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread