Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The impression I got was that after the growing worries that Metroid was truly dead when they didn't mention it E3 after E3, they decided to put out something to assure those people that no, it wasn't.

And of course because they did that, now Metroid is definitely dead. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

This looks like an bland, blurry FPS on a handheld not suited for FPS'

At least there are plenty of upcoming games for my wii u such as

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MechaSeinfeld posted:

This. Metroid Prime Hunters had a lot of cool ideas but it was on the wrong platform. You had to use your left hand to hold the DS and fire using the L trigger and moving using the Dpad. You use your right hand to aim and rotate the camera. Coupled with the meh graphics, the repetitive bosses, the rather annoying boss invasions and you were in for a bad time.

Anyway, that UI better be improved too because it looks balls awful.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Yeah this is just straight up just one of the ugliest games I've seen in a long time. I had a legit hard time deciphering everything that was going on in that trailer.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Hopefully this can be another XCOM fps situation, where the extreme backlash gets a gravitational slingshot around into universal praise when they reveal the real game now that the franchise is back on everyone's minds, but this NX talk is killing that possibility.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Crosspost from other thread, dude interviewed the game's producer: http://kotaku.com/everything-we-could-find-out-about-that-new-metroid-gam-1712003930

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

quote:

Totilo: Are there Metroids in the game?

Tanabe: Would you rather know that now?

Totilo: If you don’t mind telling me, yeah. But if you don’t want to say, you don’t have to say.

Tanabe: [laughs] You will be able to see them. There’s a certain mission.

:sbahj:

Really knocking it out of the park here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What a lovely interviewer.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It's a Kotaku interview, they didn't get in his face and start screaming about rape culture so it's a pretty decent interview by their standards

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

What a lovely interviewer.

'Thanks for allowing me to interview you. My first question would have to be what is this poo poo?'

Newb-o-Vision
Oct 15, 2012

Golly!

Chaltab posted:

To be fair I'd rather Metroid be this than Other M.

:agreed:

This is totally blasting my balls though.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
gently caress it, I want yarn metriod, gently caress prime 4.

in fact I want a yarn version of every Nintendo franchise then we make super yarn bros.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

If they called it anything else, or if they did like SE and announced this right before showing off the actual Metroid game they were working on, this would end up being a neat little game [that I still wouldn't play because it's a shooter on a handheld and it's a visual mess].
Instead it's more like being psychologically teabagged because this is the only Metroid game we've gotten in seven years.

Cyron posted:

I would buy that.

halwain
May 31, 2011
http://i.imgur.com/KjbDxoy.png

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

personally I plan on gettin mario tennis, mariomaker, xenoblade, starfocks, and Woolly World, I love that they are all coming out this year. but yeah nintendo was retarded coming out with very little new poo poo and they had to have fuckin known the stakes of announcing a "metroid" title which is just a 4 player arena thing.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It's time for some BLAST BALL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncxTFIEr7GI

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Cyron posted:

in fact I want a yarn version of every Nintendo franchise then we make super yarn bros.

Please support my cause, we are growing fast and I really think the momentum for this thing is building:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-make-metroid-epic-yarn-wooly-world-instead-of-federation-force

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

This looks like a cool video game for my handheld pokemon player.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Wait, what? At 2:30:00-ish, why are they showing a new Custom Robo game that wasn't announced? And why is it not called Custom Robo?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ElegantFugue posted:

Wait, what? At 2:30:00-ish, why are they showing a new Custom Robo game that wasn't announced? And why is it not called Custom Robo?

That's Little Battlers Xperience, obviously a similar concept but a different IP. It has its own children's cartoon that I think is already showing everywhere, and it had one or more PSP games, with this 3DS game being an updated port of one of those or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ElegantFugue posted:

It's a Level-5 game called LBX: Little Battlers Experience; Nintendo announced they were bringing it over a month or so ago. There are 5 or 6 games across PSP, Vita and 3DS but this is the first one to be localised. There's also an anime that recently started running in the US, but the big pull in Japan is the model kits.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

So, basically, they're trying to expand the Metroid (Prime, at least) universe by having some games outside of Samus' perspective. I guess I can dig that, not everything gets to be a core game with Nintendo. I think it'd be cooler to explore the other bounty hunters more than the federation though, but it sounds like we may eventually get to see that. Sounds like Sakamoto want to keeps Samus' character development to himself.

Also, bleh bleh, kotaku/VG journalism, kinda being a baby with his line of questioning here. "But it's not the game I want, do you understand?"

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think my main issue with Federation Force is that they expect me to want to play as these guys.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Expanding the universe is fine but I think the issue is that it doesn't look like it belongs in the same universe as the other games. Prime Hunters was not a great game but it was at least visually consistent with the main Prime series.

This has been a broader problem with Nintendo lately, where they try to have their cake and eat it too by deliberately matching traditionally hardcore genres with kiddy visuals but it doesn't ingratiate them to either demographic, it just confuses people or turns them off.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm happy to play as characters other than Samus in the Metroid universe, as long as they have a cool adventure and do things that matter.
Federation Force is a co-op game, you can play the missions alone but at this stage it sounds like there is no single player adventure or anything of the sort.

The snowy map was a terrible choice to show the game in

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rocketlex posted:

I think my main issue with Federation Force is that they expect me to want to play as these guys.

in a game where they're not just there to make things look dangerous they would probably be cooler

its like how the stormtroopers and clonetroopers and whatever in star wars are just idiots who cant shoot anything, until you make something where they're main characters, and then they're all cool and stuff

if they give them some characterization and stuff then we might actually have some Metroid characters with names other than Samus and Ridley that matter at all. the bounty hunter guys in the DS game could have been that but they just kind of gave up on them immediately

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm excited for this game and will play it and probably enjoy it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In all fairness, the Federation were legitimate badasses in Prime 3 and were a huge help to Samus. A spinoff starring them as a way to expand the universe is hardly a bad idea and after Other M did such a thorough job making the Federation look like incompetent morons to a man, it's an even better idea to kinda get a clean slate there.

But this is definitely not gonna help. This is just a straight up ugly, aesthetically unpleasing, bad looking game. And after 5 years of no Metroid and learning that no console Metroid is coming anytime soon? Yeah, I dunno what the gently caress Nintendo was thinking but they deserve to feel the burn here.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad they acknowledge that Metroid Prime is canon.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'm gonna laugh when this game comes out and is actually pretty fun

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm gonna laugh when this game comes out and is actually pretty fun

I'm already laughing, because it is Nintendo and Nintendo does good things. Even when people hate them for it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mordaedil posted:

I'm already laughing, because it is Nintendo and Nintendo does good things. Even when people hate them for it.

Their batting average on this series isn't exactly superb lately. :v:

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I'm just glad they acknowledge that Metroid Prime is canon.

They actually are saying the Metroid Prime Universe is some sort of timeline distinct from the other one that includes Other M

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Boomstick Quaid posted:

They actually are saying the Metroid Prime Universe is some sort of timeline distinct from the other one that includes Other M

Can't wait until the timeline split entry into the series, Metroid: Missile Tank of Time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

VJeff posted:

In all fairness, the Federation were legitimate badasses in Prime 3 and were a huge help to Samus. A spinoff starring them as a way to expand the universe is hardly a bad idea and after Other M did such a thorough job making the Federation look like incompetent morons to a man, it's an even better idea to kinda get a clean slate there.

While I'm glad that they learned to use Phazon in Prime 3, they still take Space Pirate energy scythes like little bitches.

VJeff posted:

But this is definitely not gonna help. This is just a straight up ugly, aesthetically unpleasing, bad looking game. And after 5 years of no Metroid and learning that no console Metroid is coming anytime soon? Yeah, I dunno what the gently caress Nintendo was thinking but they deserve to feel the burn here.

This is totally on-point though. I'm not digging the vaguely cartoony look and the UI looks worse than Prime's. This is super weird to me because even if Nintendo wanted to make a sci-fi energy suit people game, they could totally make it look better. Even if it did have a kidie asthetic. I don't get how the art style and the UI looks worse than Custom Robo Arena's. And this is somehow on the 3DS instead of the DS :psyduck:

Seriously look at this. Literally DS jaggies.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 18, 2015

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
What if they're just using the Prime name because it's first person, and the game is actually a sequel to Fusion... and Samus is the final boss?!?!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The federation are a bunch of dumb idiots whose first thought upon encountering a hostile alien lifeform that absorbs and clones everything is too try and breed it into a biological weapon. Then when that lifeform kills everything on the station, their response is to try and do it all again because how could we gently caress this up twice?

Metroid is a tragic tale of a universe where nobody follows OSHA standards.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

The federation are a bunch of dumb idiots whose first thought upon encountering a hostile alien lifeform that absorbs and clones everything is too try and breed it into a biological weapon. Then when that lifeform kills everything on the station, their response is to try and do it all again because how could we gently caress this up twice?

Metroid is a tragic tale of a universe where nobody follows OSHA standards.

That's this universe, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Imagine how much better the reception would be if this was a Splatoon game in name and aesthetics. They wouldn't have young people going "Metroid who? is that some dude's name? Looks like a halo knockoff", they'd be riding on big coattails, it might actually look good, and they wouldn't have gotten one of their most loyal bases all riled up.

• Locked thread