Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkVgc6gIqk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

You realized you weren't mentally stable enough for work today and called off rather than potentially gently caress up badly

congrats you are more responsible than the average police officer

Jonny 290 posted:

every old man that does that lovely IVE NEVER MISSED A DAY OF WORK IN 67 YEARS HERE AT THE HARDWARE STORE. WATCH MY KIDS BEING BORN? gently caress THAT thing is a literal traitor to Labor and should be hung from a streetlight
jonny right as usual

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

GoldenTeeth posted:

it sounds like you need to take a real break and find something fun to do, even if it's just working on a personal project instead of a work one
yeah i always found it funny when i finished a project and was like "oh thank god i don't have to code for a while" and found myself coding some dumb poo poo just for funsies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
code a virus

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

once I saw a guy do labour, building a new office for somone to code in, and then go home and drink and watch TV to distract him from his broken body and poor income

qirex posted:

porter beer was invented for dock workers [porters] to have for breakfast so they could be drunk enough to not dwell on the fact that they were literally breaking their backs for a pittance

echinopsis posted:

you say alcohol is a scourge but low incomes are associated with drug abuse so guess what way the causation is with labour and drinking

these stories are the best because they're so transparently intended to erode worker solidarity by associating Doing Labor with degenerate activities while simultaneously absolving those who peddle alcohol from their pernicious marketing to and disproportionate presence within low income communities

alcohol is a scourge and the shame of a nation, and it is unbelievably hateful to pin its effects on the exploited rather than those who stand to benefit from its production and distribution

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
counterpoint : home brew

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the point was that people who do labour aren't inherently happier and in fact their low income predisposes them to virtually every bad thing. poor people even have more car accidents

that's literally what you are wishing on LP0

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LP0 have you ever considered a career builingd stadiums over in Qatar? it's labour so you'll be happier

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

counterpoint : home brew

do you mean homebrew as in the bourgeois hobby of making frou-frou craft beers to impress your computer buddies by just how lovely of an ipa you can make?

now if you want to talk about moonshine, that's a different matter because that is workers appropriating the tools of their oppression as a means of resistance

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

the point was that people who do labour aren't inherently happier and in fact their low income predisposes them to virtually every bad thing. poor people even have more car accidents

that's literally what you are wishing on LP0

hahaha yes those foolish Laborers are so awful that they can't help but get in accidents all the time! must be because they can't keep from drinking themselves to death, the degenerates!

it's so horribly funny to see how desperately eager the parasite class is to slander those who Do Labor because they cannot conceive of someone who Does Labor as anything other than a shambling sack of misery, and then they go on to refuse to do anything that might benefit Laborers because they clearly don't deserve it, the pack of drunk driving idiots that they are

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you keep on capitalizing those words, what is the significance of doing that?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BONGHITZ posted:

you keep on capitalizing those words, what is the significance of doing that?

to emphasize how important it is to Do Labor, but i'm too lazy to format other, less worthy endeavors like programming with smaller fonts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

do you mean homebrew as in the bourgeois hobby of making frou-frou craft beers to impress your computer buddies by just how lovely of an ipa you can make?

now if you want to talk about moonshine, that's a different matter because that is workers appropriating the tools of their oppression as a means of resistance

only one person ive met brewed their own beer to try and outdo themselves flavour wise. every other person i met who did it did it coz it was poo poo loads cheaper

also in this country we are FREE to also make our own spirits.. so its hardly a method of resistance

Stymie posted:

hahaha yes those foolish Laborers are so awful that they can't help but get in accidents all the time! must be because they can't keep from drinking themselves to death, the degenerates!

it's so horribly funny to see how desperately eager the parasite class is to slander those who Do Labor because they cannot conceive of someone who Does Labor as anything other than a shambling sack of misery, and then they go on to refuse to do anything that might benefit Laborers because they clearly don't deserve it, the pack of drunk driving idiots that they are

it's you, you're the piece of poo poo you assumes I thnk I'm better than labourers.. i don't consider them worse or anything... but I know some facts : they aren't paid well for their jobs, and hence, don't recommend it as a line of career for someone to get into. financial stress is a powerful burder on peoples lives that drives them to drink and all manner of lovely things. thats the basis of my arguments - that dfoing labour wont inherently make you happier.

when people have less money, statistically, they are likely to have more car crashes. i have no idea why this is. maybe they cant afford cars with ABS brakes. either way... its not because the people are worse or any of the things you are saying, its just statistics. and if people want to have less crashes, and all those things, they should aim for jobs that pay more.

hell, if unions were a thing again, labour would be appealing. its not though.. so its not.

Stymie posted:

to emphasize how important it is to Do Labor, but i'm too lazy to format other, less worthy endeavors like programming with smaller fonts

bold or italics are used for emphasis. capital letters are just thing adults use when they are trying to look intelligent

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

lol this thread

code during work hours, don't touch a computer after hours (including weekends) you'll feel fine in a few days

oh yeah, start going to the gym during work hours, like lunch time, I feel way more motivated and have solved more problems in the gym shower post workout than I ever did killing time at my desk.

(also yes, let me quit my cushie 8 hour a day of meetings + coding + 1 hour a day at the gym to go ruin my skin at 25% of my current pay, great idea, I'll tell the wife to prepare for crippling poverty)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

it's you, you're the piece of poo poo you assumes I thnk I'm better than labourers.. i don't consider them worse or anything... but I know some facts : they aren't paid well for their jobs, and hence, don't recommend it as a line of career for someone to get into. financial stress is a powerful burder on peoples lives that drives them to drink and all manner of lovely things. thats the basis of my arguments - that dfoing labour wont inherently make you happier.

when people have less money, statistically, they are likely to have more car crashes. i have no idea why this is. maybe they cant afford cars with ABS brakes. either way... its not because the people are worse or any of the things you are saying, its just statistics. and if people want to have less crashes, and all those things, they should aim for jobs that pay more.

hell, if unions were a thing again, labour would be appealing. its not though.. so its not.

i don't assume anything, you've demonstrated it with your posting

Laborers are paid poorly, therefore we must not become Laborers because Laborers drink and crash their cars because they Do Labor, and you don't hesitate even for a moment to question this line of reasoning

in the words of samuel clemens, there's lies, drat lies and statistics and you blindly accept them because they fit the narrative you've already accepted that poverty is the inevitable (and deserved) fate of those who Do Labor

i'm sure unions will regain traction again as long as we continue to demonize and avoid Doing Labor, while working soul-sapping jobs that actively suppress worker solidarity because we'll be able to afford newer and better gadgets made by actual Laborers

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEgh8TUlpQc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

i don't assume anything, you've demonstrated it with your posting

Laborers are paid poorly, therefore we must not become Laborers because Laborers drink and crash their cars because they Do Labor, and you don't hesitate even for a moment to question this line of reasoning

in the words of samuel clemens, there's lies, drat lies and statistics and you blindly accept them because they fit the narrative you've already accepted that poverty is the inevitable (and deserved) fate of those who Do Labor

i'm sure unions will regain traction again as long as we continue to demonize and avoid Doing Labor, while working soul-sapping jobs that actively suppress worker solidarity because we'll be able to afford newer and better gadgets made by actual Laborers

i never said people crash cars because they do labour. computer coders would crash their cars more often if they go paid worse. if the incomes of laboueres and coders were swapped, id suggest poeople do labour. the job is irrelevant here, its the income that is what I am concerned about. jesus

you're a moron. what kind of political party do you think I vote for? what kind of policies do you think I like in place regarding drug or alcholol advertising? what kind of outcomes do you think I want for labourers? how do you think I treat labourers when they come into the pharmacy?

right now - your advice for LP0 to go do labour for him to be happier is very shaky and would likely lead him into a place for financial shittyness. you cant get over your own ideas of how you thnk labour is the savior of our society

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what it boils down to is that if you're miserable in your job, then question whether or not it is actually meeting your needs in any way other than financially

it's amazing how your life can improve when you don't accept the narrative that the only valuable work is intellectual work, and how that narrative is enforced by terror and deception

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats the best point you've made in forever

and I agree with it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i have over 30 work-days of PTO stored up, i should whittle away at that

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
edit: meh, not worth the continued agitation

so stipulated, money isn't everything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but certainly a major factor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

i have over 30 work-days of PTO stored up, i should whittle away at that

if im reading this thread correctly i think they're suggesting that you go on a bender while building something. i think this is how the groverhaus was made actually

at the end of the month unfortunately it seems you are statistically likely to get addicted to drugs and get into a car crash, its up to you to figure out which order to do this in. on the bright side you'll probably end up having built a bunch of little scale models of yourseld working out of old gum and toothpicks or something

oh also when you go back to work it will still be terrible sorry

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw4DxfIZIHo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I used to do labour and it loving sucked spending all day all week working on luxury apartments I could never afford to live in

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I went insane the day I helped install a little fridge specifically for wine in one apartment

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stymie posted:

epic thissery

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

if im reading this thread correctly i think they're suggesting that you go on a bender while building something. i think this is how the groverhaus was made actually

at the end of the month unfortunately it seems you are statistically likely to get addicted to drugs and get into a car crash, its up to you to figure out which order to do this in. on the bright side you'll probably end up having built a bunch of little scale models of yourseld working out of old gum and toothpicks or something

oh also when you go back to work it will still be terrible sorry

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
man OP when i saw the title i thought "oh man i bet he totally hosed up the whole system and brought sales down for a couple hours or somethin like that"

or maybe even "got caught perving on someone at work, now everything's awkward"

but "had a tough day, couldn't effectively do creative work, probably need a vacation"? dang man that ain't failing at all. that's taking care of yourself. you think [favorite author] never had a day where they tried and tried and just said "gently caress it, i'll pick this poo poo up again tomorrow"?

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

stop being a failtard and go surfing dumbass

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

man OP when i saw the title i thought "oh man i bet he totally hosed up the whole system and brought sales down for a couple hours or somethin like that"

but "had a tough day, couldn't effectively do creative work, probably need a vacation"? dang man that ain't failing at all. that's taking care of yourself. you think [favorite author] never had a day where they tried and tried and just said "gently caress it, i'll pick this poo poo up again tomorrow"?
:agreed:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

don't recommend

One-Man-Bucket
Jan 6, 2004
The banjo is the superior instrument
I'm pretty psyched to go back to work in august after being on parental leave for 7 months, so I can recommend that if you want to boost your motivation.

(if your backwards country doesnt provide 15 months paid parental leave split equally between both parents, then go for a walk outside or idk)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how the hell could anyone ever be pysched about having to do something. the best things in life are optional

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

echinopsis posted:

how the hell could anyone ever be pysched about having to do something. the best things in life are optional

MUCH! LIKE! YOUR! POSTING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I went insane the day I helped install a little fridge specifically for wine in one apartment

Lol I do a few of those daily, putting them in offices for CJs.

Naw man it's fine, I work 8 hours, get paid $250, and have the other 2 thirds of my life to work on my poo poo. said poo poo being engineering school :|

• Locked thread