Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Stake Land was pretty OK. I mean it's clear the writer/director was super into Elmore Leonard and Near Dark, so if those two things are up your alley then you'll probably like it. I think it didn't get enough attention because it came out in 2011, when both Vampires and Post-Apoc were pretty played out. The director is pretty well regarded as far as undergound horror guys go, and his other gritty crime western was well received, but "horror western post apoc" is a pretty slim genre.

Streets of Fire is totally rad. A lot of people classify it as post-apoc (certainly moreso than Blade Runner) but I think the movie's own self classification as a "Rock n Roll Fable" is pretty spot on. It's a very classic western plot but in a post-apoc steel town setting and with a general 80's music theme.

Six String Samurai isn't a good movie, but it's popular with B-movie people for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Streets of Fire is almost like a hyper-distorted version of the 1950s as seen through a neon, coked-out '80s lens. It's an action movie, but also a musical (with two KICK-rear end Jim Steinman-written numbers bookending the film). I've often wondered if the lead, played by the forgettable Michael Pare, inspired Captain Mal's look on Firefly, but the movie also features young Willem Dafoe, Rick freakin' Moranis, and a gorgeous Diane Lane.

It was also originally meant to be based entirely on Bruce Springsteen songs (hence the name) like some kind of crazy rock opera but they couldn't get the rights to the songs so they dropped it.

• Locked thread