Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omobono posted:

To be fair, I don't think that quote has quite been denied*, as My Unit is not the main character, but the MC's second in command/tactician/possible bachelorette.

*until FE Fates I guess? My Unit is the main character there right?

Yup.

Corrin, the Fates Avatar, is also the main lord. And a triple princess. And can turn into a dragon.

Corrin is, no exaggeration, the worst written lord in the entire Fire Emblem series, and it seems to be in large part because of the Avatar traits.

It's funny. A lot of pitfalls Robin carefully evaded, Corrin charges into at full speed. And by funny, I mean sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

Robin wasn't that much better. The main benefit they had was being "Intelligent" so the player doesn't feel like they've self inserted on a maroon.

I heavily disagree.

Even aside from the basic "Robin isn't a blithering imbecile to point the player is ashamed to be associated with him", they did a lot of things right with Robin that Corrin hosed up.

Lessee...

First, Robin had a coherent and consistent personality in supports and the main game, complete with gags and recurring elements. Robin's pretty steadily portrayed as intelligent and willing, but self doubting and a bit of a pushover. Several supports even give Robin A Deal like the rest of the cast, even if he's more low-key. Corrin, meanwhile, has nothing you can point to that stays sturdy. Several second generation supports have Corrin be Robin-lite when it comes to tactics, and then the Leo support has him fail utterly. Corrin spares everyone early in Conquest, but has nightmares and ninja assassins after him for all the blood on his hands. Corrin is a friend to everyone... except Owain, who he's a total rear end in a top hat to. Corrin's charismatic according to everyone else, but it never shows.

Second, Robin is, well, secondary as a protagonist through most of the game. He and Chrom support each other, with Chrom up being The Lord, and Robin playing the Soren or August role of the more pragmatic tactician. Yes, yes, Robin winds up being the crux of the plot, but it's built up, with enough spotlight left for other characters to have their own arcs. Meanwhile, Corrin dominates everything to an absurd degree. Moreover, Robin's focus derives from negative traits that must be overcome (which harken back to some things showing up later in this very entry in the series!), where Corrin's focus comes from an ever-increasing list of heroic credentials thrown in his or her lap.

Third, where Robin has part of the cast obsessed over him, Corrin has almost everyone going all in on it. Multiple supports have both people talking about how much they love Corrin as the primary through-line. You can even look at their kids. Morgan and Kanna both have their obsessions, but where Morgan wants to emulate something Robin does, which leads to his or her distinct personality, Kana just likes that Corrin Is, leaving a blank husk that only exists to play cute child to groom the player's ego.

Finally, Robin and Chrom actually have a friendship. They reinforce each other's weaknesses, they spend time together, and in distress they immediately go to the other's aid. Meanwhile, Corrin and Azura try for the same thing, without any of the groundwork. Robin is grounded in the narrative by his attachments to the real lords in the game, while Corrin's elevation by the other supposedly central characters (along with Azura's tendency towards pointless secrets) makes it harder to believe in him or her.

Robin's not perfect, but he's still eight circles of hell away from Corrin.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 28, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Actually...Oifaye was the guy that was in charge of tactics and the like, remember?

Alec (Prologue; one of his very first lines): Actually, Oifaye takes credit for that one. I tell ya, that kid’s a strategist in the making. Takes right after that famous grandfather of his, Lord Sesar.

I'm thinking that Oifaye might've been the one responsible for helping Sigurd outmaneuver his foes...that is, before Sigurd sent him away to Isaac. Heck, maybe that's the only reason things ended so disastrously; Oifaye might've looked at the way the Royal Guard was assembled, and thought...

Oifaye: "...Huh. Sir Sigurd, doesn't this seem an awful lot like [this or that formation]? It seems odd that Alvis would change his mind so quickly, too...I think we should do [this or that] just in case."

I also agree with everything stated here, with the caveat that Chrom WAS awful quick to promoted Robin to head strategist.m But then, Frederick himself pointed out the folly of doing this, and Chrom IS basically a cross between Hector and Sigurd, so...that's not too bad.

Honestly, Robin was one of my favorite characters in that whole game. I wasn't particularly sure why he was so disliked, unlike Chris and Corrin.

I think it also helps that we see Robin isn't the only person getting absurd amounts of benefit of the doubt from Chrom. Gaius is another of his best friends, and the "How they met" there is "So, I was hired to murder his sister..."

It's a flaw of Chrom's, rather than a particular virtue of the Avatar's. Which, like with Sigurd, comes back to bite him in the rear end. Hard.

(I'm pretty sure that most of the backlash just comes down to the fact Robin is an avatar character, and people with an innate revulsion towards the concept will pick at anything to further show their distaste. Really doesn't seem to be that much hate, though. Some, but I've seen more "I don't like the concept, and the way Robin dominates the plot come endgame, but assuming you have to include an avatar, Robin's mostly alright." even on the negative side of the equation.)

Really, Chrom owes much more to Sigurd than to Marth. There's a solid amount of the Lex-Hector-Ike line for flavor, especially since Chrom's much less to-the-manner-born than Sigurd, but they've got some pretty strong similarities. Sadly, from what I remember, Seliph isn't nearly as interesting a second gen lead as Lucina is, but I'll be quite happy if I'm proven wrong.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 27, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fire Emblem 14 actually has some interesting stuff with AI on Conquest, including (if I remember right) some level of randomization. It includes things like enemies ignoring a unit if their defense is too high to do any damage, and enemies who move differently each time you reload your turns.

Unfortunately, it also has some weird reinforcement triggers and bullshit one-chapter-only rules. It's maybe worth a look, unlike the other two campaigns, but stick to normal until you know the ropes. It can get rough, and a lot's changed from earlier games.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

vilkacis posted:

How dare you ingrates talk like that about our lord and saviour Roy? You're all dead to me :colbert:

(Your death quotes were lame, too.)

As I'm required to make a speech about how lame Roy is in the second-to-last mission, I merely have a retreat quote.

(It's "Roy sucks, and also I am leaving because I am wounded but still alive.", by the way. You were right. It's pretty bad.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

rannum posted:

Echoes is likely considered 15 in the same way the FE1 & 3 remakes are 11 & 12.

also you can vote on the Heroes website from any characters from any game in the series (ANY character, it's absurd) including FE4 so hey if you want to vote for your favorite guy t oget a fancy new outfit artwork character now's the time.

Any?

Oh, sure, you can vote for the big names like Elena (Ike's mom) and Layla (Dancer in one cutscene in Fates), but just try to vote for Altina or Anri, and you'll only find disappointment.

(It's just almost any. But it's close enough you can think any if you aren't looking for the specific exceptions.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

Can we vote for Aimee/Larabel?

Yes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

And there we have it! Our team's next Super Saiyan! But can Shanan and Patty make it out of the desert alive? Can Leaf, Nanna, and Fin extricate themselves from their desperate situation? And what of the Liberation Army? Can Celice rescue everyone and see his army through unharmed? Or will the sacrifices Levin spoke of become a reality? Find out, on the next EXPLOSIVE episode of Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4!

This is Fionordequester, signing out. Have a nice night, and God bless you all!

Stress and nervous tension are now serious social problems in all parts of the Galaxy, and it is in order that this situation should not be in any way exacerbated that the following facts will now be revealed in advance.

Yes.

Yes.

They'll be fine.

Yes.

No, assuming you don't count a bruised upper arm.

In the interests of preserving some level of mystery, it will not be revealed whose upper arm is bruised at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

Why did Anna suggest they abandon the castle and find cover in a church? A lot of churches were indeed fortified, but not as heavily as a castle. Or is the idea just to hide there rather than fighting? Regardless, if help is on the way, a castle would be where you'd want to be to hold out until the help arrives. Heck, this is one of the things castles are specifically designed for.

She just wanted to steal from the offering plate and was looking for any plausible excuse.

Now, Nanna? That one I can't answer.