Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I am so glad this has started back up again (well a week ago but whatever), FE4's such an interesting game and seeing it played as a max rank run is really something.

It'd be cool if they tried a game in this style again. The giant maps and how it gives story, the actual "armies", the emphasis on talking for cool bonuses...it's all pretty neat and it would be cool to see another go at it that's more balanced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

The story has a lot of power struggle between lords and juggles many balls simultaneously. The power struggle doesn't get near the level of Game of Thrones, but is still leaps above the average JRPG. Another factor is that the game doesn't shy away from controversial subjects. I don't think we get any of that just from large maps, it requires a certain willingness, and effort in writing that many videogame developers lack. The large maps may enable this type of story in a way smaller won't, but I would not say that they "give story".

Sorry I wasn't entirely clear, I meant how the game gives story not necessarily how the maps give story. THe ball juggling, basically.

It gives the story in more piecemeal as the chapter goes on rather than just the usual preamble & epilogue.
it's not even at every conquered castle, plot events happen more frequently all over the place.

Like you said the maps help & necessitate this type of story telling better than smaller maps but even quality of plot & writing aside it's just nice to see a bunch of not-necessarily-related events happen all over. Like 2 updates ago we got the tower of blagi in one part while brigid is running away from all the pirates and we're dealing with a huge attacking army and so on.
And then you have all the different conversations between characters (even ones you've already recruited) if you drag them to talk, or the different events you can trigger if you go out of your way.

it's novel, i guess

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There are many problems with Fates, but for the most part level design and general gameplay is top notch across the 3 games. Well, Conquest is the king there, then Birthright and Revelations has...issues...but i can look past those. I'd still recommend playing them. Though, ah, maybe not all in a row...pretty easy to get burned out on them.

The baffling part about Niles being Bi and Solei "loving girls" is like
The former ONLY applies to Corrin because no other character is bi and the latter isn't just male corrin seducing the lesbian. She can not reach S Rank with ANY girl, not even Rhajat or Female Corrin.
One actually good thing I can say about the Niles/Corrin support is that the S Rank is actually pretty sweet? I went into it out of curiosity and ready to groan, but i probably would have kept it in my conquest file if it didnt mean losing out on 2 kids & their chapters.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

wait are there seriously no gen 2 units with axes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

Understand that, for the first 4... really 6 games, IntSys considered Axe's to be the enemies weapon. Fighters didn't promote in 1. They were hardly there in 2 (If not at all I don't remember. Game was very non-standard). In 3 Gen-2 you get no axe users period and they give you a Silver Axe and say "Sell this for money" And in 4, no CHILD unit is a primary axe unit. Which means none of them can inherit it.

Those weapons are distributed to enemies in the game so they can drop them for your next gen.

Well I guess only the children being axeless isn't AS bad but the bold is genuinely amazing.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Corrin is worse than Robin (who I also enjoyed, but I liked the bulk of awakening so...) because they're just such a nothing character at best and actively annoying at worst ( c o n q u e s t )

Azura felt like she should have been the main lord. Conquest & Revelation are more for her but they still present it haphazardly as Corrin's. Conquest in particular is spurred on by her taking direct action and I was significantly more in her emotional corner in the final chapters nonsense than the royals'.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

I mean yeah it can work like that, but even that for Fire Emblem is strange, since it removes the Weapon Triangle and other mechanics for monster stuff.

As for what I did?

[[snip]

I took inspiration from Advance Wars

please tell me this won't take as long as AW1's final map does. That was a great map idea that felt like it took three eternities to finish.

also just want to say I've seen your assorted posts over several FE threads and your hack seems really interesting, pretty excited for whenever it gets finished. Going back to the "every FE is someone's first FE" discussion in relation to difficulty I also appreciate that you didn't just go with the assumption of "this is for super players" that most romhacks do.

and while i'm dumping praise, may as well turn it to the actual LP and say it's been pretty enjoyable. Fion you're so aggressively up beat about everything and its nice that you never let it die. & Super skilled play is always a treat.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Junpei posted:

So... The Fire Emblem Direct just happened, and four games were anounced:

-Fire Emblem Warriors, a Warriors game with FE characters for the Switch
-Fire Emblem Heroes, a mobile game
-Fire Emblem 15, but not much was revealed
-Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, a remake of FE2 on the 3DS

... I think I died and went to heaven. This looks great...

Echoes is likely considered 15 in the same way the FE1 & 3 remakes are 11 & 12.

also you can vote on the Heroes website from any characters from any game in the series (ANY character, it's absurd) including FE4 so hey if you want to vote for your favorite guy t oget a fancy new outfit artwork character now's the time.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

a speed run for that would be cool to read about, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Always good to see this back

Incidentally, Heroes got a Thracia 776 update so enjoy the artwork for Leif, Nanna & Finn. The other characters added are Thracia-specific