Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I wonder if the official ages references to when the characters join you or when the prologue starts. It doesn't matter that much though, at least not in this generation, since the very youngest characters join too early for it to make a significant difference.

Anyway, I love how Sigurd is all "I didn't intend to conquer Augustria, it just happened".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Actually, I think about 4 years passes between the start of the game and the end. I would know because, um...well...that whole thing about who I'd pair Sylvia and Dew with :cripes:.
Well, yes, obviously it matters a lot that Dew is 17 instead of 13 in chapter 5. However, I was talking about starting ages. Dew joins early and is still 13 even if the starting ages refers to start of prologue instead of when they join. As for Sylvia, she joins in chapter 2. The game takes place over 4 years, but the prologue is short and I know there's at least one "almost a year passed" timeskip coming up, so probably not much more than one year has passed by the time she joins.

Anyway, the LP is working out just fine to me. Typically, the level of explanation is right, very little time is spent explaining things I already know and I haven't encountered a "what did you just do right now?" situation yet.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I've played most Final Fantasy games and Dragon Quest games up to and including the Playstation 2 era. In general, I've played a lot of RPGs up until then. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series seems like good bets for JRPG players.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I don't know if it says more about the game or the fans that people are still making translations, but it is impressive either way. In terms of story, this game has definitely aged the best, it actually seems more modern than the later Fire Emblems.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

rannum posted:

It'd be cool if they tried a game in this style again. The giant maps and how it gives story, the actual "armies", the emphasis on talking for cool bonuses...it's all pretty neat and it would be cool to see another go at it that's more balanced
The story has a lot of power struggle between lords and juggles many balls simultaneously. The power struggle doesn't get near the level of Game of Thrones, but is still leaps above the average JRPG. Another factor is that the game doesn't shy away from controversial subjects. I don't think we get any of that just from large maps, it requires a certain willingness, and effort in writing that many videogame developers lack. The large maps may enable this type of story in a way smaller won't, but I would not say that they "give story".

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
About Manfloy's involvement, I would say that it works to the story's advantage if he's not involved all the time. Back in Verdane, he pulled the strings really heavy, going so far to outright off the king when he stopped to obediently dance. In Augustry, he did pull some strings, but it looked more like he added fuel to the fire rather than controlling the events. Now in Silesia, it seems he may not be involved at all. This strikes me like a good balance.

The heavier Manfloy can pull the strings, the more powerful he and his sect appears to be. On the other hand, if every chapter had been like Verdane where the Lopto sect practically controlled the events, we would not have much of a living and breathing world. Everything would just be the heroes vs the main villains and the rest are just puppets. To make the world feel alive, it's important that things happen without the main villains being too directly involved.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Sylvia is probably what I'd call semi-accidental. I don't think that all of what you wrote in your analysis of her is intended, hence accidental. I say semi-accidental though because I nevertheless don't believe it's a coincidence she fits so well with the image of an attention starved teenage girl who desperately plays out her sexuality in a bid of validation.

Anyway, I gotta question the intelligence of the enemies. Sigurd has already conquered Verdane and Augustri and they nevertheless intend to fight him.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Well executed plan! Destroy the queen's armies, capture the queen, capture her strongholds and be surprised as Sigurd moves in and destroys the rebellion.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

I know this is basically the name of the game in every Fire Emblem, but Sigurd and co. really do seem to pose a much more massive threat than they realistically would. Look at the massive amount of enemies you have to fight! And canonically you win every time! I mean I get that the Holy Weapons are crazy good, but at this point there's only two of them in Sigurd's party.
The problem is that the Fire Emblem mains don't take any significant casualties when they fight. If you have 1,000 soldiers vs the enemy's 1,000 and win, you will still have lost a portion of your soldiers. If the next enemy shows up with 1,000 soldiers as well, you maybe only have 900 (note that it's very unusual that one side gets annihilated, so defeating 1,000 with only a 100 loss is not unrealistic at all) this time and if you lost 100 the former battle, chance is you will lose more soldiers this time and also lose the battle as well. This is not really reflected in the story. If you win an FE battle, you got trough it unscathed as far as the story is concerned.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
About the explanation to Sigurd's success in battle, it is true that having a high variety of soldiers and commanders with different experiences. That way it's very likely that regardless of what the enemies are doing, there's someone who has seen that tactic before and can tell Sigurd various things like the strengths and weaknesses of said tactic. There are however disadvantages as well.

One disadvantage is the difficult of organizing your army. You will have an easier time organizing five units of spearmen, three units of cavalry and two units or archers than the same number of unique units. You could say that Sigurd's army gradually got more types of units and had a lot of time to adapt though. There is however another problem in that while you can exploit almost every weakness, your ability to do so will often be limited. If the enemies have a weakness that makes horse archers effective against them and only 5% of your army consists of horse archers, then 5% of your army is all who can take advantage of that weakness. Some tactic are also more or less disabled with an army like Sigurd's. If Sigurd gets into a situation where he'd want to form a spear-wall, tough luck unless all he needs is a really short spear-wall.

The enemies tend to not only be overspecialized, but unreasonable so. The counters are also really hard in this game. There are medieval weapons that are more effective against horses than other in real life, but no "horse killers". Soldiers are by this game not allowed to do anything else than poking at their enemies with their weapons. The vyvern riders could have surrounded Ardan and then have whoever is behind him simple ram him with his Vyvern. Or try to grapple him or do just about anything else than uselessly having their weapons bounce off against his armor. The game engine doesn't allow it though thus making a particular counter unreasonable hard. There are other such examples where the game exaggerates an advantage or flat out creates one of thin air. This is in addition to overpowered units like Sigurd himself who can solo most of the game. That said, the Vedanians would lose even harder in real life than in this game. Their units consists mainly of axemen with no armor and no shields, which is overspecialization in this game, but in real life it would be an army that is weak against every enemy (including spearmen) and strong against none.

I think that ultimately Sigurd would have to be a great leader who not only can organize his army well, but also deal with conflict within his own army well, an excellent tactician who never gets outmaneuvered by his enemy in terms of combat (though he gets outmaneuvered in terms of politics all the time) and charismatic enough to keep recruiting a higher number of soldiers than what he looses. I guess that's more or less what happens in this game.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Makes sense, strategy and tactics can be handed over to someone else, leadership and charisma not so much. You'd still want the leader to have a fairly good tactical sense in case the original plan doesn't go as planned (happens very often) and you need to improvise without having the time to discuss with your tactician, but we have reduced the need of Sigurd's tactical prowess from excellent to capable.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Onmi posted:

EDIT: Addition, to clarify, their randomness should still follow a pattern I feel. I personally prefer to 'characterize' the enemy generics. "These guys are cowards, so they'll pick on weaker guys and attack in groups. These dudes are really noble so they'll always go after your strongest guys. These guys are bandits, so they'll try to soften the player up with ranged attacks and split them up by going after villages. Maybe add in some spawns in these forts here, to represent sneak attacks." That also gives the player a sense that they're fight an actual force, and not just enemy's in a video game.
This has the opposite effect on me. For example, if you go "these guys are bandits, so they'll try to soften the player up with ranged attacks" it just reminds me that I'm playing a video game since otherwise knights and really, most kinds or armies, would try that as well. Most "these are X, so they do Y" reasoning adds to the sense that I'm playing a video game rather than subtracting from it. I wonder how other feel about it though.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Genaro posted:

I would say it depends on how strictly the units follow the script, and how complex said scripts are. Having very specific and rigid rules could be a recipe for exploitation (example: saying knights don't attack priests/clerics, because they're religious or something. Now you could have a player forming a priest wall and attacking the knights from behind it) unless there's a condition upon which the rule could be broken, or unless the game is designed to allow for such exploits (such as pairing the knights with ranged units who would shred your wall, giving knights some way to push through, or giving the knights ranged weapons themselves).
I think you misunderstood what I was talking about. I was not talking about the mechanical implication. If you say knight don't attack priests/clerics because they're religious or something, you probably already lost me even before I get to test it out mechanically. Knights are not too religious to fight members of the clergy by being knights, there has to be a good explanation to why they are very religious. Ditto with the earlier example of bandits softening their enemies up with bows, why would only bandits do that and not, say knights? Unless you provide a good explanation to why bandits would be more inclined to deploy archers than anyone else, you are just reminding me that I'm fighting video game entities and not actual people. The same goes for most "these are X, so they do Y", there is usually no good reason to why X would do Y.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
That explains the deal with J&J. I didn't know what the game was trying to do with them, so for me the whole "recruit one, but only one" deal was just pointless and I didn't understand why it was even included.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Why did Anna suggest they abandon the castle and find cover in a church? A lot of churches were indeed fortified, but not as heavily as a castle. Or is the idea just to hide there rather than fighting? Regardless, if help is on the way, a castle would be where you'd want to be to hold out until the help arrives. Heck, this is one of the things castles are specifically designed for.

On the other hand, the talk about "breaking their line of defense" makes it look like Leaf defended his castle by parking his men outside of it and fighting it out there instead of fighting behind the walls. I know that in terms of gameplay, only one person can defend a castle, but does that hold true even for the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Junpei posted:

I always just figured they were off-screen.
We probably have to assume a lot of troops are just not shown, else the forces become hilariously small. Not only is Leaf's "line of defense" three people, but the attacking force seems to be eight people. Also, if the forces indeed were only what we've seen on the screen, the logistical and economical challenges like supplying them (which the game sometimes mention is a thing) would be a complete non issue. On the other hand, sometimes the dialogue makes it clear that a unit of one person is indeed just one person. The units have a dual nature, they are both only themselves and represents a lot of people.