Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Cuan probably has a pretty good chance. Fin would too if you can finagle Prayer into functioning for it, I forget the specifics of how that skill interacts with the arena. If it doesn't work well, then Fin will probably get stuck at Shark. Weapon Triangle be damned, it's hard to beat the sheer speed advantage of swords, especially when Pursuit only needs a 1 point advantage to double. Pretty much anyone who can use the Uber Slim Sword stands a good chance at making solid progress. Lex will likely be stymied by Shark, barring a lucky string of hits. From what I recall, Midir stands a good chance of being stymied by Hood (Shark's equivalent for ranged characters, for those that haven't bothered checking the link) as well. Azel might maybe make it past rank 4, but with the ridiculous weight of Fire tomes I'd say it's unlikely. If he does, Emil will probably waste him at Rank 6 (seriously, Elwind, with wind being the magic equivalent of swords without the Mt disadvantage, plus 13+5 speed?).

Really, the hard points of the Chapter 1 arena are Rank 4 (Shark/Hood), Rank 6 (Emil) and, with no surprise, the final fight. Bachus (rank 5) isn't so bad because while he packs one hell of a punch and has good defense, he's slow as molasses and most of our army has the WT advantage on him to boot. Noish might find it tricky even with the Uber Slim Sword because he lacks pursuit (assuming lovely luck with crits), while Ardan at least can rely on his high defense to try and stick it out if the ~50% crit rate refuses to cooperate. Cuan and Fin may find him tricky too. Cuan because he lacks Pursuit (although lucky Continue/Adept procs can compensate), Fin because he lacks the raw stats Cuan has. If Cuan can make it past Bachus, though, he's probably in the clear. Really, the big threat Bachus (and to an extent, Dice) has is attrition. And Dice (Rank 7) can give pretty much everyone trouble if the RNG decides that 19% chance to ignore damage is going to keep triggering.

Edit: By the way, I'd just like to say that I'm loving this LP. FE4 isn't one of my favorites, per se, but it is one I enjoyed playing. I also enjoy just how hilariously unbalanced the whole thing is. Weapon Triangle? Forget it, the sheer weight advantage of swords, especially when combined with sword users typically being among the fastest classes, makes swords the best physical weapon most of the time. The best sword user has an effective 29 speed, fastest axe user can't even break double digits with the average axe, and the fastest lance user can get 18 (but can also use swords for another 27 effective. Next fastest lance user gets 12, third gets 10). This is excluding crazy stuff like the Master Knight class or legendary weapons that boost speed. Magic is even sillier since those don't even have Mt differences to justify the weights.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I, too, am happy to see this back! Y'know, I had some nitpick or comment to say about something early on in the update, but I had to stop halfway to leave for work and I've long since forgotten it.

Still, though, keep up the good work! I know doing this has to be exhausting, especially with how long each chapter is in this game.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Actually, out of curiosity, what RPG's have you all played? This War Room update is going to be on why it's sometimes better to skip enemies than to fight them, in-spite of the fact that there's an EXP Rank to fulfill, and I'm thinking of using something like FFVI, FFVII, or Dragon Quest IV to demonstrate a point that I want to make this update. Or perhaps I'll use an anecdote from Melth's FE6 LP, I haven't decided. Either way though, I also want to make sure it's something you all can relate to.

Pretty much any example would probably work for me, as well. I've dabbled in Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy, tiny bit of Dragon Quest, lots of Shin Megami Tensei, Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Super Robot Wars... And that's just JRPGs. I like RPGs. I like them a lot.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
It's good to see this back! I know this doesn't generate a whole lot of discussion, but it's still an LP I greatly enjoy and look forward to reading! It's always hilarious to me just how imbalanced this game is, but it still makes it work somehow. It really sells you on just how powerful some of these characters are, seeing as several are pretty much one-(wo)man armies unto themselves.

It's made me ponder, from time to time, how an FE would work if it represented the player characters as actually leading groups of footsoldiers to battle, and a character's stats representing not only their own personal prowess but an abstraction of the force they're leading as well. It'd certainly make the epic conflicts in this FE in particular make a bit more sense. Rather than a dozen and a half of people running around conquering entire nations (whose armies consist of a good several dozen troops), Sigurd is actually leading a troupe of knights and soldiers into every clash, while Azel heads up a small cabal of mages, etc. There's probably a game or two out there that try to do something like this, but they elude me as of yet.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah, definitely make sure the streams can go to youtube. Combinations of time zones and work schedules can leave a lot of people missing out otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I know I've not really posted, and for that matter there's not a lot of traffic in this thread in general, but I just wanted to let you know that I am reading this LP and enjoying it. FE4 has always been a pretty fun game to me, even through all it's flaws and sometimes weird design decisions. I'm looking forward to the next update!