Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Don't worry.

Also, I thought that Sigurd's kid was named Seliph, not Celice. Alternate translation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel like we should start compiling some sort of Holy Weapon Tier List.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

theshim posted:

First, no.

Second, tier lists are stupid, and third, no.

Jeez, can't you take a joke? I was joking about the fact that almost (repeating, in case you don't hear me, ALMOST) all the Holy Weapons we've seen are OP. Some people just don't have a sense of humor.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thanks Fion. For now, all I can say is that it seems like a coin flip between Valflame and Mystletainn (I'll pronounce it how IntSys intended it, dammit).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Fionordequester posted:

Indeed. And for reference, Holy Weapons cost 1000G PER DURABILITY POINT! So repairing a broken one from 0 to 50 uses costs 50000G; for reference, that's the exact amount that your money caps at!
So remember kids: Save your Holy Weapons for emergencies, and always have a spare weapon. You never know when you might need it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder if any Fire Emblem map after Incest of the Holy War has ever had such big maps. Maybe in a fangame? I'd like to see them revisit the "Second generation replaces the first" thing as well (Sorry Fates, but Recollection of Bubbles/Heirs of Fate isn't enough for me).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Onwards, to the second generation and growth rates that look like they came out of Awakening! For truth, justice and incest!

Also, how many second-gener's make appearances in Thracia 776? Obviously there's Leif, Delmud, Nanna, Finn, Sety and Seliph, Altenna, Julia, Corple and Hannibal make cameos, but anyone else?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I... forgot your pairings, sorry. I at least know you're going Ferry/Fury x Claude and Titlyu x Levin, but I forgot the rest. Can you refresh my memory?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ah, I see. Thank you. Although for me, at least, I always go Levin x Fury, partially because Thracia 776 makes it canon and partially because it's really sweet. But I understand you wanting Fee to be basically a flying Ethlyn with combat viability and Ced to threaten capping a few stats rather than guaranteeing maxing one.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Onmi posted:

If things had gone how they originally designed it, then Levin would have given the Holsety on Chapter 10 to his son. As it stands though, the question is "Do I want Holsety on chapter 6, then on a horse" or "Do I want Holsety in Chapter 8 on not a horse."

Granted I always go Levin/Fury to. But it's easy to understand the Titlyu appeal.

Technically there's a third option in "Get it Chapter 9, but not until that character promotes and with no horse", but seriously, who would make Corple their Holsety user? I always go Sylvia x Claud, because then Corple can staffbot all the rest of the game. That, and Leen gets the highest Resistance growth in the game (at 65%, which admittedly is odd considering good pairings make sure their are growths higher than 100%) making her decent-ish at the GBA FE-style Dancer Long-Range Magic Tanking. But not by much, and I rarely use her like that. Which is why I'm raising an eyebrow at Slyvia x Dew. Dew I usually pair with Briggid (Sol helps Patty survive more, and Bargain is great to cut the cost of Yewfelle repairs in half for Faval). I guess Bargain does help Corple with staff repairs, and Leen can technically use Sol, but still, it's slightly iffy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My usual pairings:

Aira x Holyn (Because nice, snug, worry-free inheritance)

Aideen x Jamke (To train Lester in the art of Shooting A Shitload Of Arrows)

Lachesis x Beowulf (Because Thracia 776 makes it canon, and it's super easy)

Ferry x Levin (Free + Canon + Ced is awesome)

Tiltyu x Azel (Good all round, adorable pairing and it's incredibly easy)

Brigid x Dew (Lower Yewfelle repair costs, Solar helps Patty stay alive, and honor among thieves, after all)

Sylvia x Claud (Staffbot Corple and Sylvia's just a dancer)

Though I'd like to mention FE Binary, a rebalancing hack that's drat good at making a lot more pairings valid thanks to changed classes, modern conveniences, new weapons, and multiple promotion options.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Now I'm no expert on romanizarion, but I've had this gut feeling that Azel was supposed to be Axel. Maybe it's just me, however.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 31, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ephraim225 posted:

FE5 weapon locks always were total crap considering the Thief and Unlock staves that only one character on your side can use but any of the pesky enemy Bishops can abuse as they like.

Also...

I want my money back, Beowulf!

Agreed. FE5 in general was kind of bullshit. It's not that what they were doing was bad, it's just the sequels ironed out a lot of the problems with it, and made us take them for granted.

Beowulf probably took a Meteor for her at Barharra (Which my casual interest in mythology raises an eye at, because I think that should be Valhalla) so she could live.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah. drat that Manfloy/Manfroy! What kind of sick, twisted bastard gives a girl amnesia and marries her to her half-brother? Oh yeah, the kind trying to resurrect Dragon Satan.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, they gave you the option for Owain and Lucina to get engaged, and that's before we go into the whole Corrin/Azura debacle.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Onmi posted:

I just would have called it Valhalla because "gently caress it"

If it's supposed to be a corruption, I'd go with Valharra.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Onmi posted:

Like this ヴァルハラ I thinks is "Valhalla"

While This バーハラ Is what the location is called

I meant if I was going to do a localization. I only know a little bit of spoken Japanese, mostly from watching anime and video games. Like "Sonna bakana" means "This cannot be!" and other short phrases and words.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Idea on your... lecture about Modern Fire Emblem Difficulty:

Make the AI change behaviors on a map-by-map basis. If the enemies on a map are supposed to be guarding a fortress, have them get into a tight formation, rotate wounded units out for healthy ones so the healers can heal them up, and don't have them actively seek out unit to kill. If they're assaulting a guarded fortress you're guarding, have them try to break through your defensive lines, focus fire on staff-users and try to sneak through openings. It would make narrative sense at least. Your thoughts, Fion?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There are some things that I would like a future FE's AI to do.

-If their Hit is below, say, 50-60%, don't attack that unit using that weapon.
-Have a general knowledge of unit strengths and weaknesses so they can use that knowledge (send high Hit attackers against Myrmidons/Swordmasters, use magic against Knights/Generals, etc.)
-Don't attack a unit that will counter-kill them.
-For the love of God: Make "Unit cannot counter-attack" a lower priority! I don't know how many times I've seen a Handaxe/Javelin bounce right of of Oswin's shiny armor for no damage, or something similar. It's an exploit we've all used at some point in our FE'ing experiences.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Onmi posted:

See some of those sounds good in theory, but if the AI is only in range of you with attacks below 50, then what happens, does the AI sit there dumbly not knowing what to do? Does it walk away? What about Myrmidons, which are almost purely valued for their evasion and counter-kill status? Do we now redefine the role of that unit? How slow are we making the game here. As well, does that mean that now every enemy army has to deploy the same types of units to be able to match the players ever-evolving arsenal, that leads to the enemy ceasing to feel like a unique entity and basically just becoming clones of each other. One of the things I hated the most about the Black Fang was despite being 'assassins' they somehow had an entire church on one map (a castle producing nothing but monks) Nothing felt unique about them, they felt incredibly boring. One of the things FE6 actually does really well is that It's not like every enemy force has Pegasus Knights, that's Ilia's thing. Ilia's armies make sense for the region of Ilia. Lycian armies make sense for the region of Lycia and etc. etc. It's not homogenized. Where as the enemy having perfect knowledge of what to do either changes how enemies have to be developed (All enemies must have a high hit weapon, a piecing weapon/high mt weapon)

By the way, we had a game where the enemy ignored units who they couldn't hit. It was called SRWJ, and it just made the units that couldn't be hit useless, because at most they could kill 1 enemy a turn.

Also god, don't attack a unit that can counter kill? Well now this games slowing down to a horrendous grind of moving to attack the enemy. You're also penalizing the player for having strong units. Say you have an armorslayer, vs an entire horse of Armorknights, you're the only unit on the map, they will be ORKO'd attacking you, are they now supposed to sit there fiddling with their spears while you meticulously cut them down one by one?

With the exception of the last, all of your suggestions, while in theory making the enemy smarter, actually just makes them slower to kill, makes the player use less fast units like the Myrmidon and rely more on bulky units who aren't evasive but will take minuscule damage, while being encouraged to use weaker weapons just so the enemy will attack them en masse.

Oh.
Sorry.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, newer, better ideas that don't bog down the pacing.

-Give enemies more weaponry. Like, every endgame enemy unit should have multiple weapons, either varying in options covered (A Swordmaster with a Killing Edge, Armorslayer and Silver Sword), weapon types (A Paladin with a Silver Lance, Steel Blade and Killer Lance) or just plain old variety (A Sage with a Bolting, Rexcalibur and Physic).
-On the other hand, less annoying out-of-reach enemies that make no sense but to annoy. I'm talking about Sleep/Silence/Berserk Assholes and Bolting Assholes. If you're going to have them, integrate them into the strategy the enemy is using! For example, give a Bishop a Mend and Sleep staves, then put his AI so that he only uses the Sleep staff if there's no one in range who need healing. Then make sure that when resolving enemy turn order the phalanx Generals go first, so that the wounded frontliners can rotate into the back in range of the Bishop, new meat can replace the position, then the Bishop(s) can take their turns casting Mend. That way, the only times they can use Sleep are when you're just arriving at the defensive formation or if you let up on the offense so no enemies get hurt.
-Have enemies take their (and their allies's and enemies's) skills into account. If you can see their skills, they should be able to see your skills and plan around you activating an Astra or getting the boosts of Rally skills.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So an idea for a "Leadership" skill given to commanders that affect anyone in their army on the map:

Calm Leadership: All units regenerate 50% HP when they end their turn

Does that radically change anything? I've been told on Serenes Forest that I do have pretty good ideas.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How about skills that give passive benefits (buffs to Hit, Evade, Crit. Evade, Crit, etc.) when at full HP? What if the enemy had versions of Fates's personal skills, like Chivalry, Pragmatic or Rose's Thorns?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A FE6 hack? Please tell me you upped Roy's growths and caps.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr Pepper posted:

Roy's growth rates aren't bad. It's his awful, awful promotion time that makes him bad.

Well, the 25 cap across the board doesn't help. And his growths are consistently mediocre across the board (He's essentially Eliwood, with 5% taken off his Strength, Speed and Skill growths and all three 5%'s, adding up to 15%, put into his Luck growth. He's not good is what I'm saying.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr Pepper posted:

They're servicable.

Roy will do his job of taking thrones while being tough enough not to be a liability.

At least until he doesn't promote and is dead weight for most of the second half of the game.

The Sword of Seals does help. By the standards of FE4's legendary weapons it might not be anything special, but by the standards of FE6's legendary weapons it's totally broken. Remember Ragnell? Ike's super-awesome infinite use sword? Well start with its base stats and effects. Now add 15 Hit. And 5 Crit. And +5 Res from equipping it. And make it so that you can burn one use to have Roy recover 30 HP.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
One thing I don't like about FE AI is how easily it's distracted from it's intended goal in places where defense is the objective. Like this:

:hist101: : Okay guys, we have a good tactical formation there. The long-range tome will be hurting them from afar while we protect the healers. With our good ruler's leadership and the river to slow them down, we shall prevail in the long run. Any questions, soldiers?
:geno: : Captain, there's someone standing on the other side of the river. She's calling us armored chickens.
:hist101: : After her!!
:geno: : What about our healers?
:hist101: : Get them as close to the action as you can!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I was just thinking of who the best candidate for Nihil from Alec would be. Anyone who has it is guaranteed to be immune to criticals, which is nice, but the person who actually would get the most mileage out of it would actually Fee, of all people. While it would be decent on any other mounted unit, horse effectiveness is limited to certain weapons only. Pegasi, however, are universally weak to Bows, which is a pretty major problem. Nihil would allow Fee to go up and poke Archers/Bow Knights in the face with safety.

Too bad this pairing leaves Ced incredibly mediocre. C'est la vie...

I'd like to mention FE4 Binary, a rebalancing hack that does a lot to make a lot more pairings viable (classes having new weapon ranks making inheritance easier, multiple promotion options to give mediocre characters new tricks, cool new weapons that can turn the tides against the increased difficulty), but one of the coolest things is that Minor bloods can use holy weapons! Albeit with halved stat boosts, but you can do some cool poo poo with it. You can obtain the Helswath, Valflame and Mjolnir, and give it to (Joha- siblings and Lex's kids/Azel's kids/Arthur and Teeny)! Lief can dual-wield the Tyrfing and Gae Bolg! Holyn can pair with Aira so that their kids can use the Balmung awesomely!

Plus it fixes some of the more... eyebrow-raising decisions. Anyone can double and crit! The Pursuit and Critical skills just make it easier to do so. Nihil works like it does in the Radiance games, nullifying enemy skills. Sol/Luna/Astra can be used by anyone, not foot-based sword users!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So... The Fire Emblem Direct just happened, and four games were anounced:

-Fire Emblem Warriors, a Warriors game with FE characters for the Switch
-Fire Emblem Heroes, a mobile game
-Fire Emblem 15, but not much was revealed
-Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, a remake of FE2 on the 3DS

... I think I died and went to heaven. This looks great...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd be down with that.

Idea! When the next chapter happens and we have the classic Siblings +1 Luck For The Daughter Talk, I want people to make adorable and heartwarming fanart of the reunion!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
By the way, I have a question. Is there a way to have a child with Pursuit, Continue, and Charge simultaneously? If they had a Brave weapon on top of that, and capped Speed in their promotion, how many times could they possibly attack?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, this is back. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Of note is that Fionordequester is actually doing this in two seperate locations, as he has a thread on Serenes Forest with the exact same Lp.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, here! Have some FE: Heroes art of Seliph and Julia!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...you know what? I'm going to do this! I think I'll do it at the start of every new Chapter!

Previously on Seisen no Keifu...

The Resistance was in a pickle!

I'm going to break you into a million pieces!

But we got some help from some... unexpected allies!

Prepare to be... BLOWN AWAY! Geddit?

I officially regret having you.

What was that?

Nothing.

ALL THIS THINKING IS HURTING MY BRAIN! I'M GOING TO SMASH YOU! YAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I wish I could do a Triangle Attack...

Now all we have to deal with is a deadly desert, a time limit to save my cousin, and a rescue mission for Shanan. Wish us luck, we'll need it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I always just figured they were off-screen.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did somebody say...

FIRE EMBLEM HEROES JUDGRAL ART?!

From left to right: Tailtyu, Deirdre, Sigurd, Arvis, Ayra, Arden

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just out of curiosity, Fionordequester, what would you be interested in seeing in a FE4 Echoes?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have re-read this thread, now reading Sigurd's lines as delivered by Grant George in my head, and the same goes for everyone else in this game that is also in Heroes (Cassandra Lee Morris for Julia, Christian La Monte for Seliph, Xander Mobus for Arvis, etc.).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some new FE4 characters were added in the update, but I'm not sure if it's okay to show them, given what two of them are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I can work with that. Spoilers for two playable units and two enemies!

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Ares:_Black_Knight
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Lene:_Yearning_Dancer
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Ishtar:_Thunder_Goddess
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Julius:_Scion_of_Darkness