Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I just wanted to add my support for the local colour theme, could probably do a lot with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Wait, are we voting for the theme, or is it being chosen externally?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

quote:

The theme has yet to be chosen, so feel free to discuss and opinionate as the judges will take your feedback into account.
So, no. But also, yes?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Ah right I see. Ok well in that case I'll also show support for Local Color as well.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Well now I'm inspired to develop.

The only theme I'd say sounds a bit boring is Games For Grandma. Critical Omission and Local Color both have some cute ways to take it. I'd probably submit something for Critical Omission, since it could be half-finished yet be to theme. :v:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 18, 2015

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

I'll likely be submitting a game this year.

I could use an artist to help me out! (jusion /at/ gmail /dot/ com)

Teams I've been associated with have it the top 15 (!!!!!) before, so I'm pretty amazing.

jusion fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 18, 2015

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I'll make an Octo entry.
It will be amazing.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The new judging system sounds great... I judged last year and having to play *every single game* was a much bigger and more arduous task than you'd imagine.

I'd love for this contest to get a bit meaner. Most game jams are a weekend or less... This one is 30 days but, each year, there are still TONS of submissions that are something like: a single screen with one stolen sprite, no sound, no music, no instruction, and then it crashes. I'm all for brand new devs jumping into stuff like this in order to learn new skills, but people who actually submit stuff like this, forcing judges to install and play, deserve at least a little ridicule, in my humble opinion

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

I'd love for this contest to get a bit meaner. Most game jams are a weekend or less... This one is 30 days but, each year, there are still TONS of submissions that are something like: a single screen with one stolen sprite, no sound, no music, no instruction, and then it crashes. I'm all for brand new devs jumping into stuff like this in order to learn new skills, but people who actually submit stuff like this, forcing judges to install and play, deserve at least a little ridicule, in my humble opinion
Going by their new rules, that's exactly what they did. Since they're basically just making picks, if a game is a piece of poo poo / non-existent, they trash it and move on, done. Active ridicule would add effort back into what is now a nice frustration-minimized judging experience.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Polo-Rican posted:

The new judging system sounds great... I judged last year and having to play *every single game* was a much bigger and more arduous task than you'd imagine.

If this would happen then I'm out.

just saying.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Fredrik1 posted:

If this would happen then I'm out.

just saying.

Are you afraid of GameDev Challenge ruining your online reputation? :D

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
As a judge, I see it as my responsibility to provide constructive criticism for all the games that come before me, irrespective of their quality. There's no need to be unprofessional or dismissive.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Polo-Rican posted:

We do a Gong Show every year where we basically riff on all the games good and bad. That's about the extent of ridicule. Not everyone is familiar with game development and overscoping projects is a problem with nearly all of them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sympathetic to the pain of being a judge, but if you want the event to continue to be newbie friendly there's going to have to be a certain amount of tolerance to junk. Being "meaner" is just going to convince people to not bother.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

SnowblindFatal posted:

Are you afraid of GameDev Challenge ruining your online reputation? :D

I've got no worries there, my online reputation is as low as it gets.

I just don't feel like spending free time on a competition which encourages new people to make games and then ridicules them if they are not successful.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 18, 2015

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
As a judge this year and knowing the other judges pretty well, I guarantee that you won't be ridiculed for your entry beyond a small ribbing during the Gong Show at the end. All effort is appreciated and SAGDC is all about getting people out of their shell and submitting something.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

poemdexter posted:

As a judge this year and knowing the other judges pretty well, I guarantee that you won't be ridiculed for your entry beyond a small ribbing during the Gong Show at the end. All effort is appreciated and SAGDC is all about getting people out of their shell and submitting something.
:love:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Polo-Rican posted:

I kind of like this thing since its the only 'game jam' type thing that is a little more low pressure, though I'll admit maybe that's encouraged my own faults in the last couple years. It's still nice to have something that you can commit to and see fleshed out a little more than the usual 48 to 72 hours would afford, plus I feel like part of the reason something like Global Game Jam really works is because it makes you go out and work with other people in person.

I sympathize with the judges though, maybe there's a way to make some kind of minimum criteria to get full judging? Like having to provide ready instructions or web players / non-installer based executables to be considered? Don't know if that goes a little too far or discourages people from using different tools.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Fredrik1 posted:

I've got no worries there, my online reputation is as low as it gets.

I just don't feel like spending free time on a competition which encourages new people to make games and then ridicules them if they are not successful.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to really mock someone for producing crap. Just crack a few jokes about it and then proceed.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Hey participants and potential participants,

Last year I gave a talk for the local indie group here in Dallas about how to do well in game jams. It goes over a few of the gotchas that first timers experience as well as some tips and tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OevClUQg-lQ

I promise I've gotten a haircut since then.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

TheOrange posted:

I sympathize with the judges though, maybe there's a way to make some kind of minimum criteria to get full judging?

Yeah, this is really all I meant. There's such a stigma attached to appearing on the Wall of Shame that people who should be on the Wall of Shame (because they've literally done nothing) are incentivized to submit their nothingness.

I need to brush up on 3D Unity stuff really badly so if the theme "speaks to me" I might throw something together quick this year!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

poemdexter posted:

My attitude toward these things is that if the answer is "did I learn something?" my game was a success no matter how bad it was. My submission last year (The Game Knight) was absolutely terrible in so many ways but I learned an absolute poo poo load along the way. I went from "I have never programmed an RPG" to "I have an RPG that I programmed that doesn't crash" along the way. The game was absolute poo poo but it taught me many things.

So yeah, to people that are on the fence, go for it if you have the time. Just take the plunge. If you learn something or have some fun along the way you've succeeded. Game jams aren't really about making the next Skyrim.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

KiddieGrinder posted:

but I'm just a (bad) artist
Just popped in to say that this goon is a terrible liar and a good artist.

Also I'll be able to help out with some last minute / occasional Unity/C# stuff if anyone here needs it. (Registered for Orphans etc)
Local Colour has my vote without a doubt. Maybe some doubt for Critical Omission.
I'm really excited to see what people create, no matter the theme. Best of luck to everyone participating! :3:

e:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So yeah, to people that are on the fence, go for it if you have the time. Just take the plunge. If you learn something or have some fun along the way you've succeeded. Game jams aren't really about making the next Skyrim.
This a thousand times over.
Last year I think our game might have had the worst physics of any entry, but boy did I learn a lot about making games!

DancingPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 18, 2015

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My submission last year (The Game Knight) was absolutely terrible in so many ways

It was too difficult but otherwise not bad at all!!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah, this is really all I meant. There's such a stigma attached to appearing on the Wall of Shame that people who should be on the Wall of Shame (because they've literally done nothing) are incentivized to submit their nothingness.

I need to brush up on 3D Unity stuff really badly so if the theme "speaks to me" I might throw something together quick this year!

In my opinion, that should be the point of the Wall of Shame. When it comes down to the end, people get nervous about what they've completed already and what they have defined as "done". As long as you get a quick prototype banged out early in the process, that can quickly become your minimum viable product (PRO TIP). I'd rather judge a one screen, single button input, crash prone game with a single sprite on black screen than see that same thing end up on the Wall of Shame. For all I know, this could have been the product of a one person team learning to program for the first time and excited to get a sprite on the screen and some input as well. That's a pretty big accomplishment over the course of a month in my opinion and a step in the right direction to making games as a hobby.

~All Games Are Beautiful~

If any of you are first timers to game dev, programming, art, or whatever, you should definitely hop over into the #SAGDC channel on synirc. The channel has been nonstop over the past 2 years with close to 100 people online at all times and it's a huge hugbox for people making games regardless of skill.

There's also the Making Games Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853
There's also the Game Development Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947

There's also Pixel Prospector - http://www.pixelprospector.com/ with TONS of resources for getting started including free sounds and art.

My wish as a judge this year is to be absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of entries. Last year was great with over 40 games to judge I think. Plus, instead of getting some arbitrary number score, you'll actually get real feedback on your game. Exciting!

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Polo-Rican posted:

In that case I'd think the best thing to do is have some sort of section where people can upload something and acknowledge that it's not really meant for judging, kind of something for those people that might of worked on but maybe they had to drop out halfway through or something. I know that probably goes against the wall of shame idea but I know there's at least a few people that would benefit from such a category without having to take more of the judges time.

By the way looks like I have myself and Marsol0 thus far, no idea settled on yet except for maybe local color, thinking we could probably use some kind of artist or sound guy. Almost certainly working with Unity this year. If you think you might be interested then I'm easily contacted either by PM or email at forwardbackspace[at]gmail[dot]com.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

It was too difficult but otherwise not bad at all!!

The issues with it were that I made some fundamental design errors that it just got too late into the cycle to fix. The difficulty was one of them; I never did the math and most of the testing was fudging the numbers to make myself invincible. The biggest issue was that it was too easy to die a lot in the earliest part of the game. Some of the amateur hour things I put in it to make it look like some public access nonsense turned out to be just plain bad instead of endearing bad. There also weren't exactly special abilities and whatever. Fortunately the people that soldiered on and actually played it generally found it hilarious and like I said before I went from "I do not know how to program an RPG" to "here is an RPG I programmed!" so I count it as a win. I'm actually kind of toying with the idea of rewriting it and making an actual game out of it on account of some positive feedback I've gotten, especially about the humor.

The other thing is that looking at all the things I did wrong gives me a list of stuff to not do next time. You have to walk before you run and you have to make bad games before you can make good ones. So seriously people, throw your hat on the pile and dive in. If you have zero skills the only way you can go is up.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

poemdexter posted:

If any of you are first timers to game dev, programming, art, or whatever, you should definitely hop over into the #SAGDC channel on synirc. The channel has been nonstop over the past 2 years with close to 100 people online at all times and it's a huge hugbox for people making games regardless of skill.

Do you mean #SAGameDev? Seems a lot more lively.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

#SAGameDev is the general channel which always has about 100 people online. #SAGDC is a side channel intended specifically for discussion related to this year's competition.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Internet Janitor posted:

#SAGameDev is the general channel which always has about 100 people online. #SAGDC is a side channel intended specifically for discussion related to this year's competition.

To clarify, we split off into a side channel because of the public nature of this year's jam.

The general worry was if this did take off, it would flood the main #SAGameDev channel and drown out people talking about non-SAGDC related stuff or vice versa.

On the topic of first timers, SAGDC 2013 was my first time making a game. Sewer Solvers was literally my first ever "completed" game of any scale (You should go play it, it's hilariously bad.)

This experience was life-changing, not even exaggerating, and lead to me getting a pretty great industry job a little over a year later. Just make a game, make mistakes, make something wonderfully terrible and over-scoped. That's most of the fun for participants and spectators.

I know a lot of SAGDC alumni went on to be indie super-stars or hold pretty swanky AAA industry jobs. THAT COULD BE YOU! Or not, you could find out Game development isn't for you and that's just as valuable. If only so that you'll spare your friends from hearing you rant about how much you wanna get into game development.

In summary, MAKE A VIDEO GAME. You have no excuse.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

2013 was also my first year. I made a game called Cardsharp, which as far as I know is the world's only procedurally generated survival horror educational card game.

(Download, requires Java)

I am now mostly unemployed and I sort of moderate some IRC channels I guess. This could be you, too!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

2011 was my first game, and everything since then has been way too big for a single person to finish in a month. So it's safe to say I got worse with experience.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Internet Janitor posted:

2013 was also my first year. I made a game called Cardsharp, which as far as I know is the world's only procedurally generated survival horror educational card game.
Uh-oh, looks like I'm replaying Cardsharp.

2013 was my first year participating, as well. The experience gained has been wonderful, and I even got paid for a couple things thanks to SA connections!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

My grandmother wants me to make a game with the Critical Omission theme.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Ultigonio posted:

Uh-oh, looks like I'm replaying Cardsharp.

It's a bit of a slow burner. There's a good reason it got very mixed reviews.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Is the Wall of Shame even a real thing? I've never seen it before.

Anyways, my game for the competition last year Monday Afternoon Quizzlers has recently been retooled to stay in touch with popular culture. It's now called Monday Afternoon Crystalers and revolves around a certain cartoon show you may have heard about.

I'll probably have an entry up for this year, too, though I have no idea what to do with the Local Flavor theme.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

floofyscorp posted:

We're going to be a fiancé and fiancée team, but will probably be on the lookout for a floating audio person - and a 3D animator, if any of those exist. Now to decide on a team name...
Ooh, ooh, I'm a floating audio person! I also like 3D animation a lot, but I don't think I'd be able to utilize that particular skillset since I know so little about bringing animations into games (and I'm not particularly great at it, anyhow).

Internet Janitor posted:

It's a bit of a slow burner. There's a good reason it got very mixed reviews.
I know, but I still adore it. It's one of the few entries from that year that I've gone back to multiple times.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Harold Krell posted:

Is the Wall of Shame even a real thing? I've never seen it before.

When we're all dust, the wall will stand, emblazoned with the names of those who have failed this endeavor. Creatures of all kinds will instinctively shy away from it. It stands in the darkness, a lesson to sophonts through all the ages, for ever and ever.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
I'm definitely in! Haven't made a game in like 2 years but this combined with me having some time off work will hopefully result in something resembling a game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
2012 was our first year. I got this cool avatar and a new title for sassing Shalinor. Then we won. Then our team founded Freehold Games and made Sproggiwood!

You can still haz play Mad Ball here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/Madball/WebPlayer.html

Make Games! Meet People! Engage In World Domination! #SAGAMEDEV

Unormal fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 18, 2015

• Locked thread