Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Unormal posted:

Make Games! Meet People! Engage In World Domination! #SAGAMEDEV

Excuse me, the hashtag is #SAGDC. Please stay on message #JoinTheConversation #SocialMedia #IJustWantToDie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Harold Krell posted:

Is the Wall of Shame even a real thing? I've never seen it before.
Back at the VERY beginning of SAGDC, it was a very real thing, and we carried the names across, and you had to redeem yourself to get your name off the Wall Of Shame. Now it's mostly symbolic. A metaphor for your supreme failings as a get-stuff-done'er.

Unless the new organizers are bringing it back for real. :3:

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Rumor tells of a vast swath of desert land being bought up in the US south west, but the buyers are untraceable. Make your own conclusions.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I am an orphan. I make noise. Someone claim me so I can make noise for you in an orphan-y fashion. I swear I don't eat much, and I can sleep outside. All I need is phantom power and the cover of night.

In other words I will sound design the poo poo out of some games for people. No music though, you'll have to sucker some other poor sap into doing that poo poo for you.

I'm usually on IRC, but my day job is a horrific battlefield for the next week and a half, so if people actually want me on their game PM's work fine, or topherpirkl at gmail dot com.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Shalinor posted:

Back at the VERY beginning of SAGDC, it was a very real thing, and we carried the names across, and you had to redeem yourself to get your name off the Wall Of Shame. Now it's mostly symbolic. A metaphor for your supreme failings as a get-stuff-done'er.

Unless the new organizers are bringing it back for real. :3:

Oh it's coming back. This time it's fully automated and inescapable, powered by a sinister robot heart located ~IN THE CLOUD~. (Shout outs to people with cloud-to-butt extension)

We've got some fun ideas.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 19, 2015

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Atoramos posted:

I think Games for Grandma or Critical Omission have a lot of promise. Feed Your Grandchild simulator. Professional One-Man-Baseball. A Finger-Gun FPS.

Ok wow I changed my mind, Critical Omission sounds boss as hell.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Critical Omission seems like the easiest to get ideas for, but maybe that's a sign to do something else

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
I really like Critical Omission, and I think the challenge comes with doing something that not only fits the theme but actually plays into the mechanics while still having a good game that is fun to play.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
At least a solid half of my critical omission suggestions on IRC have been bad.

No, I will not stop making them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm guessing if that theme gets picked, at least half a dozen games will be 2d side scrollers with no jumping.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

I'm guessing if that theme gets picked, at least half a dozen games will be 2d side scrollers with no jumping.

It worked for Bionic Commando.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I think that is everyone's first thought.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If Critical Omission is the theme, I hope someone just submits a short film.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The wall of shame is real.

It is in your heart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the upside, if you get old without no regrets it means you haven't lived.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

MockingQuantum posted:

If Critical Omission is the theme, I hope someone just submits a short film.

Is David Cage a goon?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

Is David Cage a goon?

For that matter, is he a game designer?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

xzzy posted:

"2D platformer with no jumping" was brought up by someone else in IRC.

My response was "2D platformer with no ground. Technically just a falling game."

And then someone else added "2D platformer with no gravity."

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Local Color could be more interesting for learning things about places, but I like Critical Omission more. If seems like you could come up with a lot of creative ideas for it after you get past the surface ideas.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Fish Noise posted:

"2D platformer with no jumping" was brought up by someone else in IRC.

My response was "2D platformer with no ground. Technically just a falling game."

And then someone else added "2D platformer with no gravity."

I was kind of thinking of a platformer where you have no legs and have to crawl along surfaces and up blocks, but I can't think of a way to make it fun.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
My idea for that theme would be a 2D platformer with no enemies. Instead it would be an exploratory game where the player would have to search for an exit. It would kind of be like a big maze in terms of design.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deki posted:

I was kind of thinking of a platformer where you have no legs and have to crawl along surfaces and up blocks, but I can't think of a way to make it fun.

Oddly enough a goon did exactly that for a game jam.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/nagnazul/you-have-no-legs

Or at least I'm pretty sure this was a game jam entry. If memory serves it landed the dude a job.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oddly enough a goon did exactly that for a game jam.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/nagnazul/you-have-no-legs

Or at least I'm pretty sure this was a game jam entry. If memory serves it landed the dude a job.
Yep. Was it... Brackhar? I think it was someone else. I can't remember. Anyways, dude's working at an awesome studio now.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Deki posted:

During initial theme suggestions, I had even put in "1D game", and it now occurs to me that if Critical Omission is picked, it can still be done: "2D platformer missing an entire dimension."

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Deki posted:

I was thinking of something similar to that, where Bosses for a platformer are omitted. So you can't trigger defeating the boss, so you have to "speedrun glitch" your way through to the next level.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

xzzy posted:

poo poo!

Yeah, I mentioned "You Have No Legs" in the IRC the other day - couldn't remember the name, though! Glad to see someone found it. I'd like to believe I've got an especially good take on "2D platformer without a jump button," but we'll have to see how it pans out when I actually try to execute it.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
We got a nicer domain because domains are cool I guess.

https://www.awfuljams.com

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

JonTerp posted:

We got a nicer domain because domains are cool I guess.

https://www.awfuljams.com

your captcha on the register page isn't setup so can't register an account

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Shuffle posted:

your captcha on the register page isn't setup so can't register an account

Top men are on the job.

Use the old site sagdc.sagamedev.net in the mean time.

Disabled Captcha verification until we get this sorted. Everything should work fine!

Calipark fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 19, 2015

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm in. I'm in a way better position to get something finished this year (I actually know a modicum of code).

I gotta voice my vote for critical omission too. Local flavor is cool, but I think omitting stuff opens up a really wide range of creative solutions for the mechanics that ride on whatever's missing.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

JonTerp posted:

On the topic of first timers, SAGDC 2013 was my first time making a game. Sewer Solvers was literally my first ever "completed" game of any scale (You should go play it, it's hilariously bad.)

This experience was life-changing, not even exaggerating, and lead to me getting a pretty great industry job a little over a year later. Just make a game, make mistakes, make something wonderfully terrible and over-scoped. That's most of the fun for participants and spectators.
That's right, you too can have the life-changing experience of having a game about power ranger dildos on your portfolio front and center! The time is now, join SAGDC!

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Definitely gonna get in on this this year, all of your posts about just getting something done have inspired me. Hoping for Critical Omission, seems like it could lead to some pretty hilarious entries.

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.
Oh man, it's this time of the year again!

So, we will be returning this year again as Team Name Subject To Change. We debuted last year with "You Have To Do Everything" which scored surprisingly high for some reason :v:

We're looking for a game designer/ideas guy so if someone wants in, PM me. No experience needed, just a sense of humor and some dumb/fun ideas. We're based in Poland so there'll be some timezone fuckery involved but we can work it out.

Also, I tried to register on the site, but I never got a confirmation email.
e: nevermind, I'm a dumb and did not see the "resend" link.

thehoax fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 19, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is helping out multiple teams allowed for us one-trick ponies?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

MockingQuantum posted:

Is helping out multiple teams allowed for us one-trick ponies?

Absolutely. Keep in mind though that you might not get any prizes if a game you worked on wins. We're leaving it up to the team leader to distribute the prize haul among the team-mates.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

JonTerp posted:

Absolutely. Keep in mind though that you might not get any prizes if a game you worked on wins. We're leaving it up to the team leader to distribute the prize haul among the team-mates.

works for me! I'm just in it for the ~game dev~

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
My current idea for Critical Omission is to do a twin-stick shooter with only one stick. A physics-based shooter where you have no fuel for your thrusters, so you have to use your weaponry to move around. Now it would be pretty simple to just do something like "ok when you shoot you get pushed backwards", but that would be pretty lazy so I'm thinking you have a bunch of different weapons with all kinds of movement effects on them. Gravity bombs, grappling hooks, teleportation mines, etc.

Grandma Games idea is that you play as a grandkid trying to coach your grandma through playing a game (or games). So imagine, as an example, she's playing Super Mario Bros. But you don't control Mario, instead you have to click on stuff on the screen and issue commands like an adventure game like "Jump" "Attack" "Avoid" "Go" etc., and try to get grandma to respond to your instructions. Kind of like that old Pac-Man 2 Adventure game. The trick though would be making it fun and not frustrating.

I don't currently have an idea for Local Color.

Last year I did #YesCallMen mostly solo, with a few pieces of donated art, music, and sound. It ended up winning, but it was a turn-based card game, so this year I want to try to make something a bit more arcadey/actiony so I don't have to do so much writing and my players don't have to do so much reading. Should be fun.

Sounds like Ultigonio is up for helping me with sound/music design, so I'm going to be looking for a 2d artist for sprites/backgrounds/ui.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best critical omission idea I have so far is some kind of shooter with no bullets, best grandma game is some kind of knitting simulator, best local color is a maze game where you play a cow in downtown Chicago that's littered with oil lamps.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I think if Critical omission gets selected, I'm going to make "Money is no object", a game where you run/manage a store in a world where money doesn't exist and everything is bartered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Have an idea for Critical Omission, it's basically a game where your character jumps out of a plane just before it explodes and has to figure out a way to land safely. The omission is that there's no way to land safely. With both puzzle game elements (locate and combine different objects you find from the exploded plane falling with you in different ways to altar your abilities and the way you fall) and arcadey elements (actually getting around to the objects as you try to combine them in midair, avoiding obstacles, navigating to places on the ground where you will be unable to land safely) elements, it will hopefully be enjoyable.

I will admit that this idea was inspired by the person mentioning "a platformer with no ground".

Looking forward to getting to spend a week and a half coming up with progressively better ideas for that one possibility only for it to end up being one of the other two.

If anyone needs a team member or something to do design/programming. I'm a good deal more likely to accomplish something if I'm not alone.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 19, 2015

• Locked thread