Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

dum is now duwnloadable?? getin

e: also i did the music for deliverer, i think one of the judges asked about that on stream

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

TheOrange posted:

Out of curiosity, since it got mentioned a couple times in the stream, but when will the reviews for the different games be available?

Friday the 14th. We'll be announcing Top 12 tomorrow with the community choice poll.

Community choice now has a 100+ DOLLAR PRIZE POOL thanks to the generous donations by Gong Show viewers. Thank you all so much!

Join us tomorrow for more Gonging! 5pm CST.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Great job guys. Exceptional gong.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Had lots of fun streaming, hope everybody enjoyed the show! Don't forget, you can play all those games (and the rest that are being showcased tomorrow) by going to the Awful Jams games page and clicking on links. If you thought a game looked cool, go and play it!

Do you need a better reason?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
That was a really fun stream.

Also, I cleared out a block of time tomorrow to watch Slam Fighter get played! Oooohhh man I'm puuuumped!

blinkeve1826, I see you're no longer assigned to our block! Why's that? It'd be awfully fun to hear you talking over Slam Fighter II :3:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

That was a really fun stream.

Also, I cleared out a block of time tomorrow to watch Slam Fighter get played! Oooohhh man I'm puuuumped!

blinkeve1826, I see you're no longer assigned to our block! Why's that? It'd be awfully fun to hear you talking over Slam Fighter II :3:

You might be sorely disappointed because I'm terrible at Slam Fighter and couldn't get past the first fight.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

You might be sorely disappointed because I'm terrible at Slam Fighter and couldn't get past the first fight.

Have you tried adjusting the difficulty?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

Have you tried adjusting the difficulty?

No I'll give that a shot. I didn't see that the first time around.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

No I'll give that a shot. I didn't see that the first time around.

Here's a tutorial on how to adjust the difficulty of Slam Fighter II. A little complicated, but I think it's worth it.

So next to your backspace key on your keyboard is a key with a plus on it. If you press that key on the character select screen, the difficulty goes up. To the left of the plus key is a minus key. If you press that key, the difficulty goes down.

:v:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

JonTerp posted:

Friday the 14th. We'll be announcing Top 12 tomorrow with the community choice poll.

Community choice now has a 100+ DOLLAR PRIZE POOL thanks to the generous donations by Gong Show viewers. Thank you all so much!

Ah, I thought it might of been with the Top 12 announcement. Really enjoyed the stream though, the impromptu voice acting on our game was great for a laugh. I just wish I could figure out what the hell was going on with our collision, feels like we spent way too much time on that and it still doesn't want to work right.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I really enjoyed the gong show! Thanks for taking a look at my game on its own merits, being a hobbyist one-person game and providing really good feedback without being mean about it. I had a lot of fun making it and I'm glad it wasn't trashed on for being so simple.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Been movin house all day and totally missed the show. Bummmmmmmmer. Hope theres archived highlights? Also thanks so much organisers / judges / participants. It were a blast

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

alf_pogs posted:

Been movin house all day and totally missed the show. Bummmmmmmmer. Hope theres archived highlights? Also thanks so much organisers / judges / participants. It were a blast

http://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev/b/681854586
Starts about 30m in

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 8, 2015

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Thanks heaps!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for playing our game and all the comments, it is always fun to see people play your game and see what you can improve.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

TheOrange posted:

Ah, I thought it might of been with the Top 12 announcement. Really enjoyed the stream though, the impromptu voice acting on our game was great for a laugh. I just wish I could figure out what the hell was going on with our collision, feels like we spent way too much time on that and it still doesn't want to work right.

Could be you were moving your Rigid bodies in Update and not FixedUpdate. FixedUpdate is where all physics calculations happen.

Or you could be moving a GameObject transform and not the RigidBody. Another common Unity whoopsie.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

BossRighteous posted:

I really enjoyed the gong show! Thanks for taking a look at my game on its own merits, being a hobbyist one-person game and providing really good feedback without being mean about it. I had a lot of fun making it and I'm glad it wasn't trashed on for being so simple.
Thanks for putting in the effort and making a cool game! Doing this stuff ain't easy, and we're happy to foster a chill environment where teams of all experience levels can have a good time learning and making games and get to see the fruits of their labor enjoyed and contemplated.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

JonTerp posted:

Good gong show, I enjoyed it :) Sorry Critical Admission decided to react badly to obs and start crashing much worse than before :/

Now that I think of it though, the submitted build for Windows did actually have a crash that usually occured on level 7 or 8 - which might have just been activating earlier than normal! it's fixed in version 1.0.1

@Melanie, we're not from a London university :p

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Thanks for playing our game, it was a lot of fun to watch :)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thank you for the review of Cyber Sight! I think we did pretty well for a team of two artists in the process of learning programming and having to deal with a 2 1/2 year old the entire time making it.

A lot of the things that was talked about how to make it better we had brainstormed, but we made the decision to focus down on what we could accomplish and fully accomplish ourselves.

The music everyone liked was done by my husband's colleague. He teaches musical theater at a university for a living.

It was a fun contest overall. Our goal was to actually fully complete something. We have a bunch of half finished games, some are even alpha complete, so actually finishing something for once was nice.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

JonTerp posted:

Could be you were moving your Rigid bodies in Update and not FixedUpdate. FixedUpdate is where all physics calculations happen.

oh riiiiiiiight...

I wondered why burgergame ran 10x the normal speed, and apparently it did that ever since we built it. I remembered update() being just a big while loop and fixedUpdate() being a loop that runs every frame but I couldn't remember what you use fixedupdate for aside from just controls which we didn't have in our game.

Then we compiled it and I assume that optimized it and removed a frame limit for update() and now the game runs way way quicker than we expected and somehow didn't break the game and still makes it playable.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Good gong show, I enjoyed it :) Sorry Critical Admission decided to react badly to obs and start crashing much worse than before :/

Now that I think of it though, the submitted build for Windows did actually have a crash that usually occured on level 7 or 8 - which might have just been activating earlier than normal! it's fixed in version 1.0.1

@Melanie, we're not from a London university :p

I KNOWWWWWW D: I couldn't remember specifically where and I'd meant to say "university in England" and as soon as "London" came out I was like CRAP THAT'S PROBABLY NOT TRUE :doh:

For everyone's reference, Team Critical Admission are all PhD students and research staff in the Web & Internet Science Group at the University of Southampton, and they ran the 100-person Southampton Game Jam last year so please ignore everything I said during the Gong Show, thanks <3

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

JonTerp posted:

Or you could be moving a GameObject transform and not the RigidBody. Another common Unity whoopsie.

poo poo, guess we did still have the player movement in Update(), still doesn't seem to fix it entirely but it helps considerably. The other big thing I could think is that the rigidbody was set to Discrete rather than Continuous but changing that seems to break any of the knockback objects.

Ah well, thanks for the tip, something I'm going to make sure I carry forward for sure :)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Forer posted:

oh riiiiiiiight...

I wondered why burgergame ran 10x the normal speed, and apparently it did that ever since we built it. I remembered update() being just a big while loop and fixedUpdate() being a loop that runs every frame but I couldn't remember what you use fixedupdate for aside from just controls which we didn't have in our game.

Then we compiled it and I assume that optimized it and removed a frame limit for update() and now the game runs way way quicker than we expected and somehow didn't break the game and still makes it playable.

If memory serves you can also give Unity a target frame rate for update(). The editor ignores it but actual builds will try to stay at that frame rate.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
In spite of Twitch dying from League and Dota we're going live NOW!

GONG SHOW. DAY 2.

https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
As referenced on the stream, The Jack Principles:

http://demos.jellyvisionlab.com/downloads/The_Jack_Principles.pdf

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
For final judging: The version of Critical Admission submitted to judges was marked as Mac only but does contain a (buggy) build for Windows. If the other judges want to play it on Windows you're better off using the one from itch so you can see the late-game content. The only difference is the fix of a null error which usually happens around level 7 (Though of course it's fair enough to count the crash against us, you might as well see the main part of the game).

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

quote:

We’ve revamped the scoring and judging system from previous years. For SAGDC X, submitted games will be split up between the 6 judges. Judges will rate each game on a scale from 1 to 5, and provide a few paragraphs of critique and reflection. Each judge will pick 2 “top picks” from their given batch, all judges will then play each-other’s top picks.

Can I ask what happened with this because I've seen the final list and it seems that there isn't 2 top picks from each batch (if the schedule is accurate showing what was in each batch). One has 3 picks and one has 1 pick. Is this accidental?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Heisenberg1276 posted:

For final judging: The version of Critical Admission submitted to judges was marked as Mac only but does contain a (buggy) build for Windows. If the other judges want to play it on Windows you're better off using the one from itch so you can see the late-game content. The only difference is the fix of a null error which usually happens around level 7 (Though of course it's fair enough to count the crash against us, you might as well see the main part of the game).
Sure, other judges who need to play it on windows should use that link then. As the review judge of Critical Admission I can say I didn't get crashes during normal gameplay, hitting level 10 or 11 I think, so it didn't color my (very positive) opinions of the game.

Second block of tonight's Gong Show has started! Come and watch some games!!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Your Top 12 Picks!

Zero-Grab Kitty
Go Fish!
Sub Optimal
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert
PZZL
Coinless
Conservation of Momentum
Echo
Critical Admission
VectoRocket
Impulse
Sandlot Basenoball

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Kinda bullshit that the judges didn't play cinder on the intended platform

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Aw man, Super Turbo Voynich Manuscript didn't make it, nor did my top picks (Super Slam Fighter II and Cinder).

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Are these 12 games the only ones eligible to win any category?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Are these 12 games the only ones eligible to win any category?

Best UE4 and Best Unity are fair game.

Your game is like my top pick for Best UE4 by the way.

Thanks to everyone who came out to watch and especially those who donated $371.38 which will get split between the winner of Community choice and to our server hosting fund.

Join us Friday August 14th at 5pm CST for the full judging deliberations livestreamed at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

JonTerp posted:

Your Top 12 Picks!

Zero-Grab Kitty
Go Fish!
Sub Optimal
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert
PZZL
Coinless
Conservation of Momentum
Echo
Critical Admission
VectoRocket
Impulse
Sandlot Basenoball

Why isn't slam fighter 2 on this list??

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Jon, could you clarify as to why you only had one pick in your group (and then, from what it looks like, picked another from another group) when we've been told that each judge would pick two in their group? Seems weird for you to be flexible with the rules now when judging, after your previous sternness with them.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Afal posted:

Jon, could you clarify as to why you only had one pick in your group (and then, from what it looks like, picked another from another group) when we've been told that each judge would pick two in their group? Seems weird for you to be flexible with the rules now when judging, after your previous sternness with them.

We always said we'd be reaching across group lines and trading with other judges if we had a particular game we played we wanted to see in the top 12 that wasn't getting picked. That was how we solved the potential issue with high quality entries getting clumped up in a few select judges.

And even with this in place, games like Slam Fighter II still fall through the cracks which bums me out. We had a TON of amazing games this year and only so many prizes to give out. Obviously a lot to think about and improve on for this Winter.

For Slam Fighter II specifically, I'm going to put it into the Community choice vote because I know it's a crowd favorite. I knew we might have some upsetting cuts from the Top 12 but that one stung a bit.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Got home from vacation a few days ago and finally got enough backlogged work out of the way I could read through this thread.

I want to thank everyone that actually played through my entry. You all were way more kind to it than I expected! I got a lot of good feedback that I will use when I eventually turn it into something more presentable.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Thanks for the meaty criticism of Slide, Crash, Bounce on the stream. Hearing criticism that is pretty accurate is kind of tough, but it's giving me a lot to think about and I'm really thankful for that. Seeing all the ways it could be better, and ways it didn't quite hit the mark does honestly kind of frustrate me, but when I think back to that month of dev work I'm also just really glad that I managed to get it that far.

My original plan was for one week of basic core gane work, one week to flesh out gameplay, one week to add more content, and the last week devoted to polish. What ended up happening was that I had my neat premise done in a few days, but not nearly enough done after that and I ended up with a half-finished game at the beginning of the last week. I ended up having to bust my butt just to even get all of the gameplay systems working in time, and having to cut a lot of fluff. It almost ended up having no sound effects.

One of the big, sad cuts I had to make was the inclusion of voice acting, which probably would have helped the flavor of the game a lot. I even had a nice offer from blinkeve1826 to do some voice work, but I ended up deciding that I was far too behind on basic, critical features to even worry about that. It would have been really nice to include, but oh well.

But even if I fell short of where I could have been, I'm really quite happy with what I did manage to accomplish. Last year, I made a crappy Anime Club Text Quest game that got around a 32 out of 100 and that I'm pretty sure only one person in the world kind of liked. There was some art to it, but I rushed it out in 2 days and it had some big, big problems. And this year, I made something pretty alright which people seemed to like, and which grabbed enough attention to get a few youtube videos and stuff made about it.

It's a massive improvement any way you measure it, and I'm happy. Now I just have to see how much I can improve next time. Or maybe see how much I can polish this one up. I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm really surprised our game didn't make it past the first round of judging. I would be lying if I said I wasn't devastated. However because of this project, I've gotten close to some people who are so talented, so creative, so funny, and so kind. I am overwhelmed by the gratitude I feel for the incredible love and effort that everyone on my team put into Slam Fighter II, from staying up with me until 4 in the morning discussing how to capture just the right emotional texture in a song to enduring grueling three hour long recording sessions in which I demanded greater fidelity to the flow of DMX than was probably necessary. I am truly humbled. Melanie, Michael, Christopher, and Johnny -- because I was fortunate enough to collaborate with all of you, I still feel like a winner. :unsmith:

• Locked thread