Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

You know why you clicked this thread,

WATCH THIS FIRST: Anno-uncement Trailer

THEN WATCH THIS: "Gameplay" Trailer

Did you watch those? Yes? Good.

ANNO 2205?

Yes! We're going to space! Same sort of resource production logistics city builder action you love, except instead of heading off to the orient or the sea-floor for those exotic things people just couldn't live without, we're going to the moon. To the loving Moon! I cannot wait.
Formally announced at E3 2015 (IE, yesterday) it would seem that developer Blue Byte has been busy, as initial release date is set for the third of November 2015. Book your time off now.

Shamelessly stolen from Ubisoft's website.:

Ubisoft posted:

The beloved city-builder takes off into space!
The addictive Anno gameplay is back and taking strategic city-building to new heights, launching connections from Earth into space. In Anno 2205 you are part of human-kind‘s next step into the future with the promise of a better tomorrow. Venture into space and settle on the Moon in the thrilling race for resources and power!

Key Features

The Acclaimed City-Builder Reaches for the Stars: Colonize continents on Earth, establish Moon bases and mine the moon’s resources to transform your cities on Earth to thriving metropolises.
Unlimited City-Building: Thousands of hours of accessible and challenging gameplay let you go beyond the story and ultimately grow monumental cities with thousands of buildings.
Indulgent Graphics Bring Your City to Life: The new engine offers an unprecedented level of details, and now islands in ANNO 2205 can be five times bigger than in previous ANNO games.

Screenshots:

(timg'ed because 1920x1080. Also shamelessly stolen from the official website)

(Stolen from RPS's impressions)

Larger version of title image

What do we know?

Not much yet. Some things!

Rock Paper Shotgun's initial impressions highlight some interesting features:
Basic Anno gameplay is effectively unchanged although streamlined slightly, the trailer suggests neat new additions like bridges (The future is here!) and non-standard hydroelectric dam layouts. Your cities are going to look pretty neat, it would seem, but due to the basic incompatibility of the Earth and Moon settlements (likely both are fully restricted to their respective planets) means they will both be reduced in complexity compared to 2070.
Zooming out from your settlement, select another planet, zooming back in. Presumably this means that you'll be effectively switching from map to map nearly seamlessly, although perhaps not instantly? "Select another planet" suggests other celestial bodies may be relevant, not just the moon? Also, verbatim from RPS: "...also hinted that more terrain types than grass and lunar dirt will be available to build on..." Orbital platforms? Asteroids? Mars? We'll have to wait and see.
Expandable production facilities, neat! Invest more resources into a single production plant to increase output, saving on footprint for maximum grognard swastika pattern placement. Also you can apparently move things around for no cost? Might have been just something in for the preview build but if not, that's practically cheating compared to the earlier Anno games.

Gamespot's E3 Preview (Do people still go to gamespot? I guess so?)

Reddit's "All known information about Anno 2205". Poor spelling. Loads of info.

Right now just read through that reddit link, if you want more information. A proper summary will be forthcoming.

Speaking of earlier Anno games:

Link to previous Anno 2070 thread (Requires archives)

They're pretty great!
Anno 2070 (released 2011) is the most recent release, near future setting with three factions; The Tycoons, Ecos, and Techs, all with their own unique city designs. Undersea adventures and gorgeous visuals. Slightly lacking in charm compared with:
Anno 1404 (or Dawn of Discovery in the US, released 2009) is titularly set in 1404. Old world sailing ships and pastoral villages growing into charming medieval cities meets Arabian nights settlements transforming into equally developed oriental metropolis. Still amazing to see, despite its age.

There are earlier entries in the series, but I've not played them, nor am I likely to intentionally write a megathread.
Anno 2205 though, that's exciting.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted after playing Anno 2070. I'm really super excited it was announced. November can't come soon enough.

After nothing was said about a sequel in the 3 years since the 2070 expansion I just figured the games weren't selling enough and we'd never get a new one. I'm glad I was wrong.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, that is going to take a lot of my time come November! loving loved Anno 2070 and 1404 and can't imagine this one'll be any different.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I hope they'll go back to historical games honestly. I absolutely loved every single game in the series up to 2070 which just didn't click with me at all. Which is a shame, because I got the collectors edition :v:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I agree, the historical setting is way more appealing.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Skilleddk posted:

I hope they'll go back to historical games honestly. I absolutely loved every single game in the series up to 2070 which just didn't click with me at all. Which is a shame, because I got the collectors edition :v:

It's a shame, but I somewhat agree with you. 1404 was just wonderful and loads of fun to just pan around looking at my cities and people and ships at work. Absolutely beautiful. Certainly do this with 2070 too, but as I said, it's lacking in charm compared to 1404.
It's a bother because there's more than a few small UI and interface tweaks in 2070 that would be so very lovely to have in 1404.

Also you can apparently already pre-order 2205 from the official site. The 'select a retailer' button is more than a little amusing.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Any news on what the DRM on this stuff is gonna be like? 1404 was fine. 2070 was...a bitch, really. I just want my games to launch directly from Steam :(

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Uplay is back in its full "glory".

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Firos posted:

Any news on what the DRM on this stuff is gonna be like? 1404 was fine. 2070 was...a bitch, really. I just want my games to launch directly from Steam :(

It's an Ubisoft joint, so you can rest assured that it will have the most archaic anti-consumer experience imaginable!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

It has a steam entry.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/375910/

Slam that 'Add to wishlist' button. Or pre-purchase it if you're nutty.

It's probably going to be much the same as 2070. Hitting play in steam will launch u-play which then will need you to hit play again. Fantastic.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Sometimes, when the stars align and the wind rustles restlessly through the trees, Uplay will even press its own play button automatically (after about a minute) when you press play on Steam!!

Variable Fighter
Aug 1, 2014

More info: http://www.reddit.com/r/anno/comments/3a65jr/all_known_information_about_anno_2205/

Uplay, no other DRM. Activate & play offline.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
There's some livestreaming right now:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/gamespot-stage-day-3/

e: they were just replaying the trailers I think. The dev made it sound like it has standard Anno gameplay, he didn't mention anything special really.

Knitting Beetles fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 18, 2015

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Anno 2070 was the only game I've played in the series but I loving loved it. My dream sequel would have been colonizing the methane seas of Titan, but going to the Moon is a good start.

Also pleasantly surprised they're making a sequel at all, last I had checked Blue Byte had been working on F2P mobile games and nothing else.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
This and XCOM 2 both in November?

Ow, my GPA.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is combat still going to be a thing?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Mr. Peepers posted:

Anno 2070 was the only game I've played in the series but I loving loved it. My dream sequel would have been colonizing the methane seas of Titan, but going to the Moon is a good start.

Also pleasantly surprised they're making a sequel at all, last I had checked Blue Byte had been working on F2P mobile games and nothing else.

You should really check out Dawn of Discovery if Anno in that setting interests you. It's also really good but has a sense of style that Anno 2070 lacked.

Anno 2070 is still great, though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Oh my god they're making another one I thought they'd gone with some freemium bullshit idle MMO thing after 2070 :flashfap:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

2070 was pretty good but I never really got very far into it. Here's hoping there's less boats and more land to build sprawling cities on. The moon even looks pretty flat and I'm digging the greenhouse sprawl up there.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

President Ark posted:

Oh my god they're making another one I thought they'd gone with some freemium bullshit idle MMO thing after 2070 :flashfap:

They did. Anno Online. I have no idea how freemium or bullshit it is. I don't think I want to find out.

Rascyc posted:

Is combat still going to be a thing?

I think it highly likely. As for moon combat? Who knows.

E:

quote:

Confirmed:

No DRM. Activate game and play offline
No factions
Commodity production, trade and population development itself does not take place on servers, but only on your PC. And only when the program is running
The spaceport is the new ark, acting as your main base. You can upgrade it and eventually send ships to the moon from here!
The camera can be set to "free mode" in the options menu, allowing you to make these kind of videos aswell. 2:20 The size of buildings is more realistic this time! Bigger Wuselfaktor aswell. (Ed: Warehouse? I have no German)
Many 'need' buildings can now be placed outside the city or where ever you like, as people finally figured out cars and public transportation and stopped walking everywhere. However, the further away something is, the higher the logistic costs become - This seems to be a new kind of cost you have to pay.

He also says that the bridge is a monument building and can be placed a pre-defined edges of certain islands to connect several of them together. Seems like there won't be a way to freely drag bridges everywhere.

The dam is a sidequest building that can only be unlocked on this specific map, but more on this further down.

Rice farms! In the middle you see a logistic centre that reduces logistics costs. The overall gameplay change is that you build less, but optimize more - you can add modules and other stuff to make them more efficient.

Another sidequest, salvaging the old ark!

The game does not have separate gamemodes for campaign and endless anymore. Instead you play it like an endless game, but it will occasionally throw you story and sidequest bits depending on some factors he doesn't elaborate. You do not have to fulfill any of these, but you can if you want to.

Progression is now mainly done through population, you don't collect points like in 2070.

The new strategic overview! Important to know is that each map is now interconnected with the others and trading can be done between every single one. They continue to produce goods even while you aren't directly playing one and those can be used to supply another map. He mentions a fully persistent world, but I'm not sure if that means you cannot delete a map or not.

Trading routes can be set manually, no auto-trading if you don't want it. If you look at the northern island, covered in white? He indirectly confirms snow biomes, but he's being coy about it. NDA and all.

Moon! The first building you see is the moon warehouse, presumably for off-world trading. Moon base building will have a bigger focus on spheres of influences again, as opposed to earth building, much like previous games. ( for example, they absolutely have to be within the SOI of a shield generator ) Only two stages of civilisation on the moon. The base they're showing is fairly advanced, so don't expect skyscrapers or major cities on the moon.

One of the ultimate goals is to make the moon self-sustaining with their own green-houses and other buildings.

Going to the moon is relatively easy ( between the second and third stage of your population ), but building a big moon base is extremely hard, because sending resources up into space is very expensive. So, easy to get there, but if you want to build a huge settlement you'll be busy for a while.
The last picture is of fusion reactors, run by Helium-3 you only get on the moon.
They talk about how the game feels more streamlined. You get a central resource overview that gives you a better idea what you're missing, instead of needing to check every single island.
It's entirely offline! No need to check in with the server for stuff, it's your world to play in. There's more tidbits here and there, but I've run out of time and I think I covered most of it. Keep in mind that it's all still alpha footage and that the developer has stated that things may change and nothing is final.
You must build a spaceport and upgrade it to build moon bases
You can build different modules to production buildings
Modules do not instantly built (2 secs)

UI, Top Left: Overall Money, Overall Income, Overall Population, Resources
UI, Bottom Left: Built, Copy, Delete, Civilization Overview?, Local Power, Local Population, Local Logistic Transporter Balance
UI, Top Right: Uplay Icon, Settings
UI, Bottom Right: Map, Ship Icon (Trade Routes?)

Spaceports will contain space elevator
Overview Screen lets you link different game worlds. You can create Trade Routes
Overview Screen is in alpha state, will get improved
Earth appears from the moon crater

Lots of mining at the edge of the craters
Radiation, Meteor Showers will destroy buildings if they are out of the shield generator
Asteroids will hit the moon base periodically
Production buildings and farms are huge
Creep Harvesters harvests minerals from the ground
You can built fusion reactor that use Helium-3

Microwave transmitters allows you send power from the moon to the earth

Overview Screen has 12 game worlds

Now a game world can contain a continental map instead of the usual archipelago
Continental map provides huge flat land

Twitch question: Major changes? Instead of 1 session - 1 map, now 1 session 12 maps and the new module system
Audience question: Why 2205? 9
Twitch question: Climate Mechanic? No, it made 2070 too dark, 2205 is about building an uthopia and going to the moon
Audience question: Dams and Terraforming? No Terraforming. Every session has a story; You are part of the new corporation taking part of lunar program and you will be challenged by other corporations. There will be sub storyline and the dam will part of it. Dam will be first broken and you must repair them which when done, it will provide you with huge energy
Twitch question: Learning curve? It's easier but becomes challenger as you progress
Audience question: Science stuff? Space Elevator, Intelligent Clothing, Flying Cars
Twitch question: Favourite thing of anno 2205? Leaving Earth
Audience question: Streetview? We are working on it but it takes time to implement it since it destroys the illusion of the buildings
Twitch question: Multiplayer? Focus on the single player. No Multiplayer at launch
Twitch question: Starting (Question was unclear)? It will be faster to built huge metropolis. You can choose difficulty and how much storyline to follow.
Audience question: Mod Support? They believe that past anno games had fantastic mods. They allow modders to tweak anything. It will be a focus on its own, maybe in a future anno. They hope that 2205 will have good mods.
Twitch question: Resources Diversity? A Lot, last anno game had a lot futuristic resources. 2205 will have more relatable resources. Moon has underground frozen water. You can use it to produce drinkable water or oxygen.
Twitch question: Factions? Yes and no. 2070 was confusing when you unlocked all factions since you had 200 buildings. 2205, Earth has one faction and moon has another (like 1404).

Corporation progression system is based on population from all worlds in all session. As you progress, you became the most powerful corporation and get special benefits

I didn't actually read all of this because it's too exciting. I don't know how that makes sense. Copied from Reddit.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 19, 2015

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, I noticed something while watching the stage demo:

Those fusion plants have an edge highlighting them, but while the ones to the left are only square, the ones on the right are rectangles with 2 extra modules.
So, it seems it's possible to expand some types of buildings? Or maybe the modules from 2070 come if the form of item/upgrades as well as actual physical buildings as well?
Hell, it also seemed like a lot of the production buildings were simply extended like that, some of the farms had what looked like 1 base building + a lot of fields, far more than were common per building in 2070.

I wonder how large the maps are, the one in the demo looked like there only was like 4 or so islands on the map, but to make up for it the scale/size of the islands seem pretty large.

e: Also, have they mentioned when the Beta is going to start? I was under the impression that it would start right away, since the game is slated for November. Or is it the beta that's arriving Nov 3?

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 20, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

That Q&A posted earlier mentioned that there are full-on continental maps this time around in addition to the usual island maps.

e: I'm a bit disappointed to see the disappearance of factions, I must say. The Eco/Tycoon choice gave 2070 a lot of replay value.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

SubNat posted:

So, it seems it's possible to expand some types of buildings? Or maybe the modules from 2070 come if the form of item/upgrades as well as actual physical buildings as well?
e: Also, have they mentioned when the Beta is going to start? I was under the impression that it would start right away, since the game is slated for November. Or is it the beta that's arriving Nov 3?

It seems that you can expand or somehow invest more into singular production buildings, probably what we're seeing here.

I assume Nov 3 is the game's release? Pre-orders gets you an invite to the beta, whenever that is. Probably soon, given that's only five months away.

There's a lot of information in that dump from Reddit, some not super pleasing changes too. Should sort and format that soon.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Very glad to hear this news.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Definitely looking forward to it. Hopefully they keep making good Anno games. Anno is one of the best.

Also, spaceships!

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 25, 2015

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
I want a Roman Anno :colbert:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I would love an Antiquity Anno that just kind of mashed thousands of years of ancient history together. Have one culture/Continent be Rome/Greece/Makedonia and the other be Egypt/Persia/Babylonian. Build pyramids, hanging gardens, Circus Maximus, Temple of Aphrodite, all that poo poo. Just go buck rear end wild in the ancient world like Rome Total War did only you're building ancient fictitious Utopias. The Mediterranean would be the equal of space in 2205.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

You might be interested in Grand Ages: Rome. It's not as good as Anno, and it has a lot less of the "managing intricate supply lines" stuff, but it's a game that exists, and it's not too expensive, and it even has a demo by the look of it.

I actually really like it, but I understand that it's not what everyone wants out of a city-building game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cautiously optimistic about this. Also gently caress ubisoft and their Udon'tplay.

Skilleddk posted:

Same for me (except I only got the regular version). Something about 2070 just lacks the charm of 1404. :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

I would love an Antiquity Anno that just kind of mashed thousands of years of ancient history together. Have one culture/Continent be Rome/Greece/Makedonia and the other be Egypt/Persia/Babylonian. Build pyramids, hanging gardens, Circus Maximus, Temple of Aphrodite, all that poo poo. Just go buck rear end wild in the ancient world like Rome Total War did only you're building ancient fictitious Utopias. The Mediterranean would be the equal of space in 2205.

God I would love this. 2070 is cold and soulless compared to 1404. Delightful Mesopotamian mishmash would be a joy by comparison.

Oh well, maybe 2205 will be nicer :unsmith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I agree with the opinions about wanting another Anno in a historical setting, but on the other hand building on the moon is pretty awesome.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
In the newest GameStar, they wrote that the futuristic setting really helped the Anno series break through to audiences outside of Germany, so I wouldn't be optimistic about them returning to the historic settings anytime soon.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

And a cursory glance at steamspy reveals that roughly 7x as many people own Anno 2070 on Steam, compared to Anno 1404. ( 700,000ish k vs 100,000ish. ) Of course, there was a long period where you couldn't buy 1404 on Steam.

I prefer the future settings myself, but I do hope that they're getting more comfortable with it, and add more ways to pretty up the cities, build large parks, and so on.

... I really hope that the next EVE-like character will be less annoying, though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

SubNat posted:

... I really hope that the next EVE-like character will be less annoying, though.

You called? :shepface:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

SubNat posted:

And a cursory glance at steamspy reveals that roughly 7x as many people own Anno 2070 on Steam, compared to Anno 1404. ( 700,000ish k vs 100,000ish. ) Of course, there was a long period where you couldn't buy 1404 on Steam.

I prefer the future settings myself, but I do hope that they're getting more comfortable with it, and add more ways to pretty up the cities, build large parks, and so on.

I wouldn't put much stock on 1404's numbers on Steam. In addition to it not being available to buy for several years as you mentioned, the game was also sold under the Dawn of Discovery name in NA and thus has a different Steam store entry . Those two things combined probably make Steamspy stats on 1404 pretty unreliable wrt to the actual sales of the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hmm, depending on how reliable that reddit dump is, not sure what to think.

I liked the climate mechanic a lot, it added a factor to consider on your islands besides your income and your power generation. I thought those two mechanics (ecobalance and power) were a big improvement over 1404 where the only resource you needed to worry about was money.

I also liked the eco/tycoon faction split, as Good Lord Fisher! said it added a lot of replay value and some more character to your guys.

Going to the moon sounds kickass though.

I didn't see any comment about combat, but I hope it gets in. I know not everyone agrees, but I liked the slow industrial take on offense where your success is more based on your ability to manage your production lines than your ability to micromanage unit instructions. I also thought the move to aircraft over land units as the way to assault enemies inland was a good one. Eat poo poo, Strindberg.

Not sure what comments like "Overview Screen has 12 game worlds" or "No difference between campaign and endless mode maps" mean. Surely there will be customized scenario-type maps? I want to bash my head against another 30 hour hellgrind like Power Games.

Can't wait until fall when I can ask uPlay to reset my password because I haven't logged in in eight months.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mzbundifund posted:

Hmm, depending on how reliable that reddit dump is, not sure what to think.

I liked the climate mechanic a lot, it added a factor to consider on your islands besides your income and your power generation. I thought those two mechanics (ecobalance and power) were a big improvement over 1404 where the only resource you needed to worry about was money.

I also liked the eco/tycoon faction split, as Good Lord Fisher! said it added a lot of replay value and some more character to your guys.

Going to the moon sounds kickass though.

I didn't see any comment about combat, but I hope it gets in. I know not everyone agrees, but I liked the slow industrial take on offense where your success is more based on your ability to manage your production lines than your ability to micromanage unit instructions. I also thought the move to aircraft over land units as the way to assault enemies inland was a good one. Eat poo poo, Strindberg.

Not sure what comments like "Overview Screen has 12 game worlds" or "No difference between campaign and endless mode maps" mean. Surely there will be customized scenario-type maps? I want to bash my head against another 30 hour hellgrind like Power Games.

Can't wait until fall when I can ask uPlay to reset my password because I haven't logged in in eight months.

The German computer magazine GameStar visited Blue Byte Mainz (the developers of Anno2205) for an exclusive look at the game. Let me try to (badly) translate what they wrote in the newest issue, please excuse my English:

The overall goal of the campaign is to reach the Moon and exploit it's resources.

There is no difference between campaign and endless mode maps, because there are no endless mode maps. According to GameStar, at the start of the game you can see a 3D map of Earth and the Moon, and can chose between three different maps on Earth to start your game. Each of these maps will be hand crafted, with very different topographies (there's for example a map with very few islands but a new, continent-sized island, like a Pangaea map in Civilization), and different side quests. The quest to reach the Moon will be the same regardless of the map you start on, and will function as a sort of tutorial. Every region will also have one mega-project, like recovering the old Ark from the bottom of the ocean, or building a gigantic dam.

Once you've fulfilled all quests in a world, you will unlock another map, including a map on the Moon at some point. There will be between 8 to 12 maps in total. You can leave a map to build up a new world, and can come back later. You can somehow trade resources between the individual maps, which is necessary since you can't reach the highest civilization level without goods from the Moon.

There will be a global warehouse for each map, no longer will ships ship goods between your islands. This point is a bit confusing, since it also says that islands share a resource pool once you've connected them with bridges, so I'm not 100% sure how it works.

There are also other changes. As far as I understand, buildings no longer have an influence radius. Build a media center anywhere on the island, and you citizen's media need is fulfilled, but it costs more the further it is from the city center. In the same vein, production speed no longer depends on buildings being close together, the orange plantation can be on the other side of the isle from the juice factory, it makes no difference. But you do incur logistic costs, so it advisable to build the buildings close to logistic centers. It's basically to simulate the modern economy, steel mills don't get their coal and iron from mines in the neighborhood, but are part of the global economy and get these from overseas, but they do have to make sure that they have a good connection to the global logistics system. So it's similar to the old system of grouping farms and mills and bakeries around a warehouse, only that the processing firms no longer get their materials directly from the farms/mines/etc., but always receive these from the logistic centers/warehouses.

There will be a global warehouse for each map, no longer will ships ship goods between your islands. This point is a bit confusing, since it also says that islands share a resource pool once you've connected them with bridges, so I'm not 100% sure how it works. Perhaps it will cause higher logistics costs to have your wares transported between islands as long as you haven't built the bridges? This is probably a non-issue in the Pangaea map.

There is also the addition of labor. You need a certain number of people to work in each building, and you will rarely have enough to work all open jobs. So you have to build robots to supplement your work force, which will be an industry chain of it's own. So the big concerns of your industry will be logistics costs, worker availability and energy. But you will now be able to build additions on your buildings, for example to decrease energy requirements of logistics costs. The overall goal is to have fewer production chains, while having those require more player management.

Very important for you will probably be this change: There will be no AI competitor on the map. You can settle all islands in peace. There will be AI megacorporations who try to get to the Moon before you, but they won't appear on the map. There is still supposed to be conflict and combat, but away from your island cities. The developers didn't want to shot the GameStar crew what that means, but there were "suspicious red icons on the strategy map", which makes the GameStar guys guess that there will be separate combat zones.

There's more but this post is probably too long already, and I'm going to watch the World Cup match between our women and the French now. If you have questions, I will look them up tomorrow and see if they wrote anything about it in the GameStar.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
No random map generator and just a massive campaign basically? I guess that's okay.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

There will be a global warehouse for each map, no longer will ships ship goods between your islands. This point is a bit confusing, since it also says that islands share a resource pool once you've connected them with bridges, so I'm not 100% sure how it works. Perhaps it will cause higher logistics costs to have your wares transported between islands as long as you haven't built the bridges? This is probably a non-issue in the Pangaea map.

I'm assuming this means that when you're trading across maps it doesn't matter what warehouse something is in, but when you're trading inside of a map it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skilleddk posted:

I agree. Anno 2070 was a fine game.. it just wasnt nearly as chillaxing and enjoyable as 1404 so the "holy poo poo how is it 4AM ALREADY!??! WHAT THE gently caress!" moments never happened for me with it. I really didn't like the transitioning from Land to Water either, and this also seems to have an Earth -> Moon transition which well.. could be fine but maybe just not for me.

There's just somehow about lush blue oceans, blue sky, colorful trees/sand/forests/grass, silly voice acting and dialog, and being somewhat less complex that just made it so much more fun to play.

Anyways I'll give this a shot because I still loving love the Anno series.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 26, 2015

• Locked thread