Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
2070 was okay for a period of time when uplay didn't take forever to let you click the play button. At some point they transformed it into an hideous monstrosity that wouldn't let you play until you finished downloading uplay updates even if it's a offline game. :shepface:

The mountains in the distant look like the map edge, I suspect it means the maps will be more terrestrial without the underwater layer or the island theme of 2070 and 1404 as part of 'simplifying' the game. I was half-expecting 2205 to be asteroid based, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

They honestly should reuse the guy in your av. Like, not even update him for the future or anything - just have this 15th century merchant guy inexplicably there saying "Looks like you got a good deal there!" as you rocket away a load of helium-3.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Delacroix posted:

I suspect it means the maps will be more terrestrial without the underwater layer or the island theme of 2070 and 1404 as part of 'simplifying' the game.

Islands aren't just from 2070 and 1404, they're in every Anno game, even as far back as Anno 1602 in 1998. They're pretty much the core concept alongside satisfying demand.

Islands aren't going anywhere. No longtime Anno fan is buying a new Anno game without islands.

The earth portion of the game is gonna have islands.

Seriously. Islands.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 27, 2015

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
They better melt some of that polar ice on the moon so we can have islands there too

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Making pretty islands is the only reason I play this series.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm getting a bit worried the game won't be very good. The impression I've got so far is less of the stuff I enjoy of the series and more of the things that bothered me in 2070. Going to the moon sounds fun, but if the rest isn't it won't matter.

Rascyc posted:

Making pretty islands is the only reason I play this series.
:colbert:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Pvt Dancer posted:

They better melt some of that polar ice on the moon so we can have islands there too

We'll probably be building only in craters or something.

I really cannot see them getting rid of islands.

Fake edit: if they get rid of islands, they better be adding trains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Islands were always annoying to me in previous games because they were a bit too small, I like the idea of being able to link islands by bridges or build on bigger landmasses. Honestly the whole pixel aligning aspect of anno never appealed to me, where you have a very strict yes/no factor in whether something has or doesn't have a resource/service.

Being able to connect islands without using boats and not spending most of the game cramming things into arbitrary pixel circles is a promising change.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Wouldn't surprise me if there's only one Moon map and you just interact with that map through an orbital or something.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
No islands, bring on the craters!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

Islands aren't just from 2070 and 1404, they're in every Anno game, even as far back as Anno 1602 in 1998. They're pretty much the core concept alongside satisfying demand.

Islands aren't going anywhere. No longtime Anno fan is buying a new Anno game without islands.

The earth portion of the game is gonna have islands.

Seriously. Islands.

There's the potential for a map to be continental rather than an archipelago, apparently. It's something more familiar to Simcity players (not necessarily a bad thing) but it won't be particularly compelling to me. Hopefully they won't be required to sustain the costs of the moon settlement.

I'm a little concerned about resource gathering being abstracted. If transporter units are cosmetic now then production buildings are only restricted by space and efficiency, which might as well be fire and forget without ecobalance. You might come back to add modules onto them later on and that's it. The game could stand to be a little more complex than simple and it sounds like they're simplifying things to cut down on background number crunching when you're on another map.

Multiple maps vaguely connected to each other sounds nice in theory but what does it entail? Will you need significantly higher pop to unlock the later buildings? Will resource consumption be so high that a giant metropolis requires an entire map dedicated to production? Or will maps that were previously had all the resources available no longer be the case? It'd be a little stupid if part of the reason to expand onto new maps is because you need to fetch a certain resource that's behind a loading screen and streamlined the core gameplay components because of it.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Wait a minute, no multiplayer at launch?? Ugh.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Figures. No shipping, no AI, no sandbox, no multiplayer... no fun? :mad:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This isn't unusual. The game before last, Anno 1404, didn't come with multiplayer, until the expansion was released.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 28, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

On one hand I can see this kinda sucking.

On the other hand it looks like they're going to try to go for a much different feel with the game than before. Also, something like 99% of my time in 1404 and 2070 is single player so I'm not terribly worried

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bitchin can't wait to build swastika shaped space weed farms on mars

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Alkydere posted:

On one hand I can see this kinda sucking.

On the other hand it looks like they're going to try to go for a much different feel with the game than before. Also, something like 99% of my time in 1404 and 2070 is single player so I'm not terribly worried

Yeah, I can see they're going for something different this time around. For me though it's more like 30% singleplayer in 1404 and 2070, so it's kind of a bummer. Hopefully it won't be too long before multiplayer is operational.

Agean90 posted:

Bitchin can't wait to build swastika shaped space weed farms on mars

This takes the sting off though, I will admit

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh geez Anno 2170 has added a lot of stuff in the newest patch.
A whole ton of prettifying stuff, like roads, water canals, more fences, clutter and stuff. It's even useful now! A lot of the decor only costs money to place, with no upkeep, and slightly boosts taxation in a radius around it.

That's really neat,a decent incentive to pretty up the cities.
And apparently the Tycoon and Eco monuments are also island-wide, like the Tech monument now, which is doubly sweet.

It's a fun thing to play until 2205 pops out, atleast.

http://www.anno2170-arrc.de/index.php?language=en
For anyone who hasn't messed with it before: Anno 2170 is a pretty large mod for Anno 2070, that adds and rebalances a ton of stuff.

Like for example being able to build a lot more buildings on harbors, or being able to build some of the previously underwater-only buildings on land! And adds some new production chains, like being able to turn wood or algae into coal.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

SubNat posted:

Oh geez Anno 2170 has added a lot of stuff in the newest patch.
A whole ton of prettifying stuff, like roads, water canals, more fences, clutter and stuff. It's even useful now! A lot of the decor only costs money to place, with no upkeep, and slightly boosts taxation in a radius around it.

That's really neat,a decent incentive to pretty up the cities.
And apparently the Tycoon and Eco monuments are also island-wide, like the Tech monument now, which is doubly sweet.

It's a fun thing to play until 2205 pops out, atleast.

For anyone who hasn't messed with it before: Anno 2170 is a pretty large mod for Anno 2070, that adds and rebalances a ton of stuff.

Like for example being able to build a lot more buildings on harbors, or being able to build some of the previously underwater-only buildings on land! And adds some new production chains, like being able to turn wood or algae into coal.

Holy poo poo, how did I not know about this mod?

From what I've heard, Anno 2205 is looking to be a different animal than previous installments. Not that I'm against it, but I like Anno for what it is and I hope they don't change a huge amount. I've played every single Anno game since the first one, 1602 and I don't want my series to get all uppity and new-fangled and move away from its roots :colbert:

Going to the moon is neat, though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PiCroft posted:

I've played every single Anno game since the first one, 1602 and I don't want my series to get all uppity and new-fangled and move away from its roots :colbert:
Preach it. :hfive:

I learned the game playing 1602 lan with a friend many years ago, and we last played some multiplayer Anno last year (1404).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How would multiplayer even work if you can't have another faction settling islands on the map with you? I feel like their "multiplayer won't be in on release" comment is just a mealy-mouthed marketer's way of saying "there won't be multiplayer".

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

How would multiplayer even work if you can't have another faction settling islands on the map with you? I feel like their "multiplayer won't be in on release" comment is just a mealy-mouthed marketer's way of saying "there won't be multiplayer".

Multiplayer can be shared control with 2-4 players and not necessary competing for islands and resources. It's pretty fun to make cities with distinctly different quarters or containing natural disasters while someone else is breaking the bank arranging circus animals inside extremely extravagant palatial gardens. :3:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

What are you talking about? There will be enemies settling islands. Not "factions" as in 2070, but as we've seen with previous Anno games, "factions" are not a pre-requisite for multiplayer. You have played previous Anno games I take it? Multiplayer feels completely natural in those.

As for multiplayer. we've seen this before. In the last Anno game (before 2070) have had to wait until the first expansion to receive multiplayer. I expect that to be the case once again.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

On kinds wondering if this name will have the same melancholy I felt 2070 had.

I mean in 2070 the earth was hosed, natural resouces were reduced, you could scavenge building materials from the sunken remnants of a bygone age, accompanied by sad music, and your faction choices are a megacorporation straight out of a cyberpunk novel or megacorporation that cares claims to care about he environment while being just as wasteful in many respects. Despite their precarious situations, they are still willing to go river with each other, complete with nuclear bombs.

These 2 exist along sides the techs, who are literally the university faction from alpha centauri complete with a disdain for safety and ethics strong enough that one of the factions is a splinter group who has the radical idea of not doing experiments that could cause horrifying damage to the few remaining pieces of habitual land on the planet.

There are also large populations of poors who aren't a part of any faction and thus live like waterworld style pirates.

tl;dr 2070 fuckin owns its only downside is loving uplay

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 4, 2015

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i mean goddamit uplay i just want to play may game stop crashing is that too much to ask :negative:

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 4, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I broke my usual rule and preordered. I feel simultaneously dumb but also excited.

Does anyone know when the beta will be available?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

PiCroft posted:

I broke my usual rule and preordered. I feel simultaneously dumb but also excited.

Does anyone know when the beta will be available?

Unfortunately not, no.
I wouldn't be too surprised if it first opens up in October or something, so that they can do one last round of testing on a ton of hardware configurations before launch.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I gotta say it's taken a lot more will power to not pre-order this than it should, when the beta finally comes out I'll probably cave but I for now I just have to keep telling myself that there is no point.

I remember discussions that took place around the time 2070 came out and a lot of people were postulating that space and specifically asteroid fields would be a likely next step. Not too far off, but like many others I'm glad they switched from freemium tablet/browser games back to actual games. From all the information and videos and screenshots we've seen so far it looks like they're prioritizing building ascetically pleasing cities than just plain old functional ones in the past, which I can sort of understand as it seems ever time you get to the late game in all the previous games you become more concerned about making things look pretty instead of copying the same old gird over and over (why didn't they bring back the palace building and other vanity projects from 1701?). It also sounds like this will be pure sandbox, build what you want, type of game design.

I honestly don't mind that but what I do hope they do is gussy up the game a bit - yeah it looks pretty from what we've seen so far but it looks like it suffers from the same problem as 2070 in that your cities just look "blah" by the end. Why didn't the Eco faction have grand, colourful gardens and plazas? Why weren't the Tycoon buildings covered in flashy neon? The Techs didn't have flashing lights and LEDs and other techy gizmos to liven things up? In the late game here, it looks like your building just turn into large geometric shapes covered in glass. Kinda boring...

Still, looking forward to this. Just sucks that all the games I'm looking forward to got shoved back to late Q4 2015 or early Q1 2016.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 5, 2015

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Agean90 posted:

On kinds wondering if this name will have the same melancholy I felt 2070 had.

I mean in 2070 the earth was hosed, natural resouces were reduced, you could scavenge building materials from the sunken remnants of a bygone age, accompanied by sad music, and your faction choices are a megacorporation straight out of a cyberpunk novel or megacorporation that cares claims to care about he environment while being just as wasteful in many respects. Despite their precarious situations, they are still willing to go river with each other, complete with nuclear bombs.

These 2 exist along sides the techs, who are literally the university faction from alpha centauri complete with a disdain for safety and ethics strong enough that one of the factions is a splinter group who has the radical idea of not doing experiments that could cause horrifying damage to the few remaining pieces of habitual land on the planet.

There are also large populations of poors who aren't a part of any faction and thus live like waterworld style pirates.

tl;dr 2070 fuckin owns its only downside is loving uplay

They straight up said that they didn't like how depressing 2070 was and that 2205 would be a more optimistic vision of the future. So no. Hopefully this means it has a little more warmth to it as well, since the sterility of 2070 only worked because of the soul-crushing existential despair behind its sterile facade.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Is the beta available now? I just saw on the steam page that you get access with the pre order, just not sure if that has started yet.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Nope, sorry. They still haven't announced when it'll start.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Francis posted:

They straight up said that they didn't like how depressing 2070 was and that 2205 would be a more optimistic vision of the future. So no. Hopefully this means it has a little more warmth to it as well, since the sterility of 2070 only worked because of the soul-crushing existential despair behind its sterile facade.

Is this a thing now with game devs? Civ Beyond Earth took the same tack compared to Alpha Centauri and it just made the game more dull and forgettable. I guess Deus Ex is going in the opposite direction with Mankind Divided.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SubNat posted:

Doesn't add up to 9, will not play.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zohar posted:

Is this a thing now with game devs?
i guess the germans are big on delusion lately

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Preordering Anno 2205 no longer gets you Beta Access. In fact, there no longer is an open beta. Instead, its a closed beta and everyone who preordered gets a boat skin.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1237098-Anno2205-Pre-order-offers-update

Its going as well as you would expect.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
People who preorder Ubisoft games deserve worse really.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
hHhHhHhH

edit: hahahahahaha (sorry my fat goonfinger slipped before, im sorry)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, I'm confident that Anno 2205 will be a beautiful game, but after 2070's always online DRM, global events, etc. BS I was pretty sure there would be plenty of enforced stupidity from on-high and the less time it was in my steam library before it came out the happier I'd be.

Anno 2205 is very likely not going to be a day 1 purchase for me...just because it's coming out in the season of video game super-saturation and I've got other games I'm more hyped for. I'll likely get it eventually unless people say that it turns out to be a complete dumpster fire (something I doubt is actually going to happen) but gently caress Ubisoft if they think I'm per-ordering.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I have no reason to believe that 2205 will look worse than 2070 (I doubt they'll make future tech as charming as 1404) but it could certainly be worse game-wise. I don't like how they want to simplify things so you can manage different maps while background processes are still running in real time since increasing scale won't necessarily make the game more enjoyable.

Ubisoft might try to push DLC harder this time around too if ACU and its microtransactions is any indicator . There were less aesthetic items in 2070 and all the DLC combined than there was in 1404 + Venice. This is important. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

New Trailer is up. Artic Regions are a thing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u-i_gNCHRE

• Locked thread