Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Beta access for preorders has been cancelled suddenly by ubi with no explanation, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Arctic islands look really cool. I wonder if they take the place of the "tech" faction from 2070 or is it just a re-skin of the stuff you will build on the "green" islands? For all the Ubisoft Uplay, DLC, pre-order beta cancelling bollocks, I still think Anno 2205 could turn out to be a pretty good game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BastardySkull posted:

Beta access for preorders has been cancelled suddenly by ubi with no explanation, apparently.
On one hand I feel that anyone dumb enough to preorder deserves it, but on the other hand ubisoft are big shitheads who need to stop being so slimy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well time to lose another 200h of my life at the very least.

I never really preorder games, let alone for €60,- but I am pumped. Some changes sound odd, but I have faith in BlueByte.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

[72:18] And the places of worship are only for Allah, so pray not unto anyone along with Allah.

[39:65] It has been revealed to you, and to those before you that if you ever commit idol worship, all your works will be nullified, and you will be with the losers.
Don't be a loser, Zedd. Please turn back to the Light :(

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BastardySkull posted:

Yeah, but instead you get an EXCLUSIVE COMMAND SHIP.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Don't be a loser, Zedd. Please turn back to the Light :(
:ohdear: Pretty sure I need to found a city in his name now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

BastardySkull posted:

Lol, watch this be Simcity all over again.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I think that was a really good trailer.

No idea what to think regarding Ubisoft. It's really a shame because Blue Byte can make some lovely things, but Ubisoft's involvement and other overhead market leveraging techniques (insert other advertising buzzwords) really irk me (and probably many other folks). Too bad someone has to pay for the development time.

I'm also a really poo poo OP, sorry folks. Haven't forgotten about this thread by any means, just busy and unmotivated.

E: I mean to say, it would have been a good trailer on its own. There certainly was lots of reused shots from earlier clips.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 7, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Eh, it's fine. It's not like there's been much to discuss or update yet. The trailer had nice music and revealed the presence of arctic islands, but basically nothing else. Until we get some extended footage showing what actual gameplay is like or what this stuff about multiple maps really means there won't really be much to say. The trailers so far haven't had any single shot last more than like 4 seconds, which isn't anywhere close to enough to really learn anything.

Which I guess is the point of marketing!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There's some additional footage and exposition that's been released with the coming of Gamescom:

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2015/08/08/anno-2205-footage-ign-live-gamescom-2015

Nothing really groundbreaking or new, they do go into some details about gameplay and how the various plots of land interact with each other. Instead of the usual variations of island biomes on one map they are now divided into separate maps dedicated to that one thing only; apparently being temperate, polar and lunar. They are also apparently 'gigantic' when compared to map sizes in previous games.

It also looks like every resource is transferred into one global pool instantly so you don't need to worry about things vanishing between maps like in SimCity. Combat looks like it's also still in the game but maybe just restricted to arenas? It's hard to tell and they don't discuss it much in the end.

The suddenly canceled Beta is somewhat concerning but I am trying to remain cautiously optimistic as the game looks good and I enjoyed Anno 2070 (and the future setting).

Not sure hen there next scheduled event is or when they'll be trotting this out for more coverage again but with barely 3 months before this is scheduled to drop I hope they have mostly everything in place by now...

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Psychotic Weasel posted:

There's some additional footage and exposition that's been released with the coming of Gamescom:

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2015/08/08/anno-2205-footage-ign-live-gamescom-2015

Nothing really groundbreaking or new, they do go into some details about gameplay and how the various plots of land interact with each other. Instead of the usual variations of island biomes on one map they are now divided into separate maps dedicated to that one thing only; apparently being temperate, polar and lunar. They are also apparently 'gigantic' when compared to map sizes in previous games.

It also looks like every resource is transferred into one global pool instantly so you don't need to worry about things vanishing between maps like in SimCity. Combat looks like it's also still in the game but maybe just restricted to arenas? It's hard to tell and they don't discuss it much in the end.

The suddenly canceled Beta is somewhat concerning but I am trying to remain cautiously optimistic as the game looks good and I enjoyed Anno 2070 (and the future setting).

Not sure hen there next scheduled event is or when they'll be trotting this out for more coverage again but with barely 3 months before this is scheduled to drop I hope they have mostly everything in place by now...

Looks like the Jorgensens are still kicking around too.

The game does look gorgeous too, but I wonder how it'll handle different island maps. Like, will there be a pool of different maps to pull from every time you start a new Temperate/Arctic/Moon map or what. They have shown off a couple different temperate maps atleast.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"You're here, hooray! Please never go away!"

I wonder how in the world his bloodline managed to survive. It was so disappointing his great-great-great-etc-grand daughter in 2070 didn't sing like he did.

Anyway, the game looks nice but the city layout looked really dull. Perfect grids are boring, at least try and be creative. It doesn't have to be amazing just better than not trying at all. :colbert:

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 12, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Poil posted:

"You're here, hooray! Please never go away!"

I wonder how in the world his bloodline managed to survive. It was so disappointing his great-great-great-etc-grand daughter in 2070 didn't sing like he did.

Anyway, the game looks nice but the city layout looked really dull. Perfect grids are boring, at least try and be creative. It doesn't have to be amazing just better than not trying at all. :colbert:

I always loved that line of Tilda's. "My great-great-great-etc. grandfather was in the crusades you know."

Yeah, so was everyone else who had an ancestor in the region, and he survived by hiding behind the biggest, baddest player character he could find. :v:

I do hope the localization makes Ville just as dorky as his ancestors, especially since the Jorgensens have basically become the running joke of easy AIs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

"We've somehow managed to burn down our moon base, please send 200 spacelumber as soon as possible!"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

"We live without luxury, just like our ancestors did! :)"
"bitch you are on the moon"

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-subs_digest&v=8zW98NOlwHc

Some gameplay video. Haven't watched all of it, but first thing I noticed is that islands are indeed gone. Instead of the multitude of islands, the map is more like something you'd see in Simcity or Cities.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kris xK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-subs_digest&v=8zW98NOlwHc

Some gameplay video. Haven't watched all of it, but first thing I noticed is that islands are indeed gone. Instead of the multitude of islands, the map is more like something you'd see in Simcity or Cities.

Welp, looks like the Ecos won. Looks damned pretty so far though. Also, loving the fact that they stole the ability to just MOVE buildings from Skylines instead of having to tear them down and rebuild them if you're a few tiles off.

Edit: looks like you can build bigger, high-density housing buildings instead of just having the normal 3x3 house. Resource transport system is more like Tropico 3-5 where you have teamsters transport trucks that go all over your entire region and you build depots to get more trucks. No range limits anymore, neither for transport pick or build radius from your warehouse/depots/city centers (as mentioned depots just give you more trucks on your network). Also, no more having to race to tier 2 to get tier 2 building materials before you run out, you only use tier 1 building materials at tier one.

Oh, and bricks have been replaced with "bio-polymers" and tools are now "construction robots".

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 16, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Doesn't add up to 9, will not play.

holy poo poo

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Alkydere posted:

Welp, looks like the Ecos won. Looks damned pretty so far though. Also, loving the fact that they stole the ability to just MOVE buildings from Skylines instead of having to tear them down and rebuild them if you're a few tiles off.

Edit: looks like you can build bigger, high-density housing buildings instead of just having the normal 3x3 house. Resource transport system is more like Tropico 3-5 where you have teamsters transport trucks that go all over your entire region and you build depots to get more trucks. No range limits anymore, neither for transport pick or build radius from your warehouse/depots/city centers (as mentioned depots just give you more trucks on your network). Also, no more having to race to tier 2 to get tier 2 building materials before you run out, you only use tier 1 building materials at tier one.

Oh, and bricks have been replaced with "bio-polymers" and tools are now "construction robots".

Teamsters in tropico aren't really a great analogy since they're agents with their own needs making them unreliable. Transporters are nothing more than a binary resource like power since travel time is no longer an issue and depots can't be overwhelmed by production buildings. The transporters themselves are purely cosmetic since the resource ticks aren't actually tied to them picking up goods any more.

Mine sites are still going to stick out like a sore thumb though, it would have been nice if they expanded on aerial transporters among other things they introduced in 2070.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fish being almost extinct now is pretty funny.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
The old Anno games before 1404 are on GOG now.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thank goodness they're still doing that weird thing where the NPC delivers some voiced dialogue while a pop-up text box describes the general tone and intent of the dialogue.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

So I got the Anno fever again and decided to work on some ingame achievements for 2070. I had quite a few games where I made all 3 monuments but never on the same island, so I loaded up one of my continues games and got to work. Then I got a bit carried away with the population composition and island planning. :v:
(Not pictured: an ~10K pop Eco Island.)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of worrying if they canceled the beta because game sucked and they didn't want that being talked about too much.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Reason posted:

Kind of worrying if they canceled the beta because game sucked and they didn't want that being talked about too much.

I could readily be wrong here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a bizarre mistranslation from a studio that focuses almost exclusively on a German audience and an English speaking marketing department.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Omnicarus posted:

I could readily be wrong here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a bizarre mistranslation from a studio that focuses almost exclusively on a German audience and an English speaking marketing department.

I don't really see how you could mistranslate "alternate skin for a boat" into "early beta access". This doesn't really seem plausible.

Reason posted:

This sure seems plausible.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
On one hand I refuse to believe it will be bad, but on the other there's no way in hell Im pre ordering.

Cannot wait for this though. Besides Civ IV, 1404 is the last game I can remember where'd I'd become aware it was 5 in the morning by hearing the birds outside.

The changes sound pretty drastic but I have faith, these games always tended to find their mark. I also loved finding the random map seeding with the giant islands on them, so losing islands entirely may be right up my alley in the long run.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 17, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zedd posted:

So I got the Anno fever again and decided to work on some ingame achievements for 2070. I had quite a few games where I made all 3 monuments but never on the same island, so I loaded up one of my continues games and got to work. Then I got a bit carried away with the population composition and island planning. :v:

Anno 1404 was the first game where my jaw dropped when looking at the achievements screen. There were so loving many. I don't think any other game on the planet has that many, except maybe World of Warcraft, but I don't play that game. And some of the achievements were downright impossible, like constructing a cathedral within 8? hours. Jesus.

Mazz posted:

The changes sound pretty drastic but I have faith, these games always tended to find their mark. I also loved finding the random map seeding with the giant islands on them, so losing islands entirely may be right up my alley in the long run.

What am I missing? What has changed about the game? It seems like everyone is discussing some big announcement but I don't see this announcement anywhere.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The previews mentioned that there's no separate island inventory management - everything goes into the one storage per map - but there are definitely the traditional islands. You can see them in-game here starting at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FicajO_J5D8&t=1m40s and at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FicajO_J5D8&t=6m40s on the territory interface.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Node posted:

What am I missing? What has changed about the game? It seems like everyone is discussing some big announcement but I don't see this announcement anywhere.

If you go over some of the posts above there are tidbits that seem to add up to big differences. No more warehouse radius, the addition of cars/trucks as a medium of transport, etc. it'll still be the same game at heart I assume but it seems like they are changing up quite a bit of the "core" systems we all know. I understand to an extent too, sooner or later you have to feel like doing something different beyond changing the setting. I'm looking forward to it though, at least for now.

On a side note... Now I gotta reinstall 1702, 1404 and 2070. It's been too long since I sperged out about farm placement.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm posting from a phone and can't double check the video I'm thinkg of, but I think in the preview video some British dude posted after Gamescom some of the buildings also looked like they required a certain number of works as well. Not just the standard "you need X number of this class to unlock" but actual people available to work in the building.

If so that'd be a major departure from previous games where you always seem to designate one island for population and then a half dozen smaller islands just for industry to supply it. With a global warehouse and instant collection goods (I believe its been mentioned that the trucks and cars and ships are just cosmetic?) that style of play would no longer be necessary. It also forces you to properly care for people in lunar and arctic zones since you actually need them for everything you're building.

Haven't seen anything new here in over a month though. Not sure what to think or really expect here anymore...

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm posting from a phone and can't double check the video I'm thinkg of, but I think in the preview video some British dude posted after Gamescom some of the buildings also looked like they required a certain number of works as well. Not just the standard "you need X number of this class to unlock" but actual people available to work in the building.

That would be a good addition - it will make the supply chains more like a web and less like a pyramid where everything just funnels to your One Population Center.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Zedd posted:

Well, I'd like you to thank me for convincing me to play 2070 again, which was great fun over the last couple of days. At least until for some reason Anno 2070 decided to not work all of a sudden today. Just gets stuck on an autopatcher screen for some reason.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mazz posted:

If you go over some of the posts above there are tidbits that seem to add up to big differences. No more warehouse radius, the addition of cars/trucks as a medium of transport, etc. it'll still be the same game at heart I assume but it seems like they are changing up quite a bit of the "core" systems we all know. I understand to an extent too, sooner or later you have to feel like doing something different beyond changing the setting. I'm looking forward to it though, at least for now.

On a side note... Now I gotta reinstall 1702, 1404 and 2070. It's been too long since I sperged out about farm placement.

Will building layout placement and its efficiency still be an important thing? That seems key to the Anno games.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Well, I'd like you to thank me for convincing me to play 2070 again, which was great fun over the last couple of days. At least until for some reason Anno 2070 decided to not work all of a sudden today. Just gets stuck on an autopatcher screen for some reason.

Uplay got patched and is causing this problem. They are aware of it, dunno when a patch will drop however.

Take this opportunity to play 1404 Venice with the modpack.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kris xK posted:

Uplay got patched and is causing this problem. They are aware of it, dunno when a patch will drop however.

Take this opportunity to play 1404 Venice with the modpack.

Oh I've got that and have been playing (read: re-learning) 1404 Venice. I just had a game in progress I'd like to continue is all which makes it rather frustrating.

I guess that explains Uplay's new look today. Actually navigable...even though I only have 2070, Farcry 3 and FC3: Blood Dragon on it. :v:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You can get around the UPlay thing by launching the actual UPlay.exe as an admin. Should be in a Ubisoft folder in Program Files.

Node posted:

Will building layout placement and its efficiency still be an important thing? That seems key to the Anno games.

No clue, I have only glanced over those posts. Haven't looked into anything else.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mazz posted:

You can get around the UPlay thing by launching the actual UPlay.exe as an admin. Should be in a Ubisoft folder in Program Files.

Tried that. Still get stuck in the idiot loop of Anno 2070 simply not working and getting stuck in the autopatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Occasionally I feel "man I really could go for some anno city building", then I remember uplay and I just "meh not worth it".

(which is a shame because I barely scratched the surface of 2070)

• Locked thread