Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't a season pass supposed to work for all dlc and the whole point in getting one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Poil posted:

Isn't a season pass supposed to work for all dlc and the whole point in getting one?

Season Passes have always been "some unknown amount of dlc's containing an unknown quantity of content released at an unknown date".
Don't buy Season Passes kids.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The season pass was just "we're doing tundra and orbit in the future and this will be those". I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't expecting to do three DLCs at all.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ubisoft's been pretty shifty with that lately, rear end Creed Syndicate had a DLC outside the season pass too. Looks like they're testing the limits.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
All the Season passes I've seen lately clearly state something like 'first two story DLCs plus 3 cosmetic ones' and things along that line.

Seems fine to me if you're ok with that and realise they're going to do more.

Not sure about the new difficulty levels. Veteran start is a real slog but at least I do have to think about things now. Seems like every time they add something it always makes the beginning harder but there's still nothing I see that will stop late game from being a joke.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Poil posted:

No, they specifically say that it's for the first two DLC. The point in getting one is that it's still cheaper than getting the two DLC separately.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Lorini posted:

No, they specifically say that it's for the first two DLC. The point in getting one is that it's still cheaper than getting the two DLC separately.

Yeah, I knew what I was getting when I bought in. Except I'm really disappointed by orbit. I think everyone is.

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013
I thought Tundra was pretty lackluster as well. I'm really disappointed with the scale of the DLCs for this game, it feels like Deep Ocean was bigger than all of them put together :(

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Darkhold posted:

All the Season passes I've seen lately clearly state something like 'first two story DLCs plus 3 cosmetic ones' and things along that line.

Seems fine to me if you're ok with that and realise they're going to do more.

Not sure about the new difficulty levels. Veteran start is a real slog but at least I do have to think about things now. Seems like every time they add something it always makes the beginning harder but there's still nothing I see that will stop late game from being a joke.

Pre-Frontier, Expert was pretty good honestly. You had to deal with some bullshit no matter what to get to that rating, but there was more than enough leeway to pick and chose which BS you wanted to handle. Now they added so much that if you look at the expert bar there is such a comically big difference between Expert and Veteran. Oh and all of the modifiers they added are all negative. So the "easy" setting on workers provided by houses, or quantity of resources absorbed, % bonus to an industry for a stock share, etc. are all the old/normal settings.

I actually tried for a good four or five hour game with "medium" workers provided and resources consumed before giving up and restarting. I ended up in a vicious cycle of to get more workers I needed more production facilities to make my houses happy, which needed workers. The margin was so incredibly thin that I just threw my hands up and started a new game on "mere" Hard settings.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

64bitrobot posted:

Yeah, I knew what I was getting when I bought in. Except I'm really disappointed by orbit. I think everyone is.

Agree with Orbit, I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do. Being that ubisoft.com still didn't have the DLC, I just bought the whole package over again on Steam and am now happily playing the new stuff. Just got started though and won't have a lot of time for awhile to dig in, but it was nice starting on one of the new continents.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lorini posted:

Agree with Orbit, I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do. Being that ubisoft.com still didn't have the DLC, I just bought the whole package over again on Steam and am now happily playing the new stuff. Just got started though and won't have a lot of time for awhile to dig in, but it was nice starting on one of the new continents.

My first thought was "Yaaay! I can finally start by looting Trenchcoat's Irridium stash!"

Followed by "Oh, right, they also just nerfed the rare resources into the ground so they're nigh-useless". They're basically used for major, non-quest projects now. you still need irridium for poo poo like building bridges and drainage pumps in the Tundra, but beyond that you'll need so few that the Asteroid Miner thing will keep you golden forever.

Honestly I do like the new balance, being able to build modules for $$$ and construction materials, but it makes the rare resources more or less worthless. On the plus side though, I actually upgraded my titanium plating production on the moon for the first time ever because you need 100 plating to build a module for the fusion core plant. Conversely, you'll be able to make bank selling construction resources right now. Especially if you start in a sector that gives bonuses to mining (or the Magma Chamber for cheap-rear end constructobot factories early on).

Oh, also, you can't chose the new arctic region when first moving into it. You gotta buy it later.

Also, Orbit was a fairly nice tech tree on its own. I'm mostly annoyed I had to pay for a tech-tree system.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah i started a new company and i havent seen metal foam prices this high since the game first came out

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You now also need a gently caress load of Graphene to expand in the new sectors since they're made of dozens of tiny islands. Kind of a pain really; I liked building larger cities now.

I also turned the new rules on for one of my older games and then spent hours running around fixing the 9 sectors I had already so that people weren't starving to death across the globe. Maybe it's better to just start over again...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, the rare resources seem to be used more for sector expansion. So less of a deal early on, but bigger later. So I'm actually kinda liking this new balance.

Also, I just got Synthetics. You can only upgrade large houses to them (I'm assuming developer time/resource constraints...or laziness) but they offer TWICE the housing that investor houses do, at the cost of providing no income. So it's actually something you gotta decide if you're gonna do it or not. On the plus side, they ONLY require the Investor level resources, no need for water or orange juice. Also, they cost graphene, petrochemicals, and magnetite to upgrade a house (10,10,5 respectively) so another end-game rare resource sink.

I upgraded 10 houses and suddenly jumped 3 company levels.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, the rare resources seem to be used more for sector expansion. So less of a deal early on, but bigger later. So I'm actually kinda liking this new balance.

Also, I just got Synthetics. You can only upgrade large houses to them (I'm assuming developer time/resource constraints...or laziness) but they offer TWICE the housing that investor houses do, at the cost of providing no income. So it's actually something you gotta decide if you're gonna do it or not. On the plus side, they ONLY require the Investor level resources, no need for water or orange juice. Also, they cost graphene, petrochemicals, and magnetite to upgrade a house (10,10,5 respectively) so another end-game rare resource sink.

I upgraded 10 houses and suddenly jumped 3 company levels.
Why would I possibly want more workforce when I already have literally tons of it without the benefit of the income?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I absolutely have to have a level 300 corporation for [reasons].

Given the way temperate works suck down goods now it is somewhat of a challenge to jam everything in that you'd need. Though there isn't anything stopping you from just importing a lot of things from the world market assuming you could afford it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

64bitrobot posted:

Why would I possibly want more workforce when I already have literally tons of it without the benefit of the income?

A) it shoots you up through the roof for population count/company level.
B) Synths don't require any tier 1, 2 or 3 resources, or any public buildings. They only need Investor level resources. So suddenly you have a fuckton of resources to build even more housing for workers, operators and executives.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Do they count toward the investor building cap?

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Well this was a rather unexpected move. The Frontier DLC is now baked into the Season pass. I myself just bought the season pass and frontier DLC on Ubisoft 5 hours ago, so I'm curious to see when they will untangle that mess with an email.

Neat though!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

cool! :cool:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Good triumphs!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Very curious how this will work with Steam owners.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have the season pass, so apparently I got the new DLC but honestly, The Orbit totally ruined the game for me.
I have no desire to play it anymore.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I got the season pass but I haven't played since after the first expansion; now that we get everything I'm looking forward to spending 90 hours playing again after the next time I have surgery :)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Have to wait and see if they ever do reach out - I own the Season Pass and the DLC but haven't yet heard anything (granted it's been less than 24 hours). If nothing comes of it then that's fine, I guess I'll be out $16, but I very much doubt I'll be purchasing anything at full price from Ubisoft ever again.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ergh, yeah, I think I gotta send Steam support a ticket on that because it's BS. It's not that much money, but the principal of the thing...

Anyways, so far I'm liking the balance a lot more with the new changes. It's a lot easier and cheaper to build the modules to reduce maitenance when they cost constructo-bots or just titanium plating instead of valuable Irridium. Rare resources seem to be relegated to expansion and end-game stuff now (making synth houses/building your corporate HQ), and you don't get a constant drizzle raining on your head from corporation level-ups anymore.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

We can get refunds now for those who purchased it. Though I'm a bit unsure how I actually report this on the Steam Support tab.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, I got a mail from Ubisoft that simply refunded me the money I had spent on the Frontiers DLC.

I just "finished" (the story, got multiple sectors and dominating the stock market) a new playthrough with all the DLCs after only playing the base game at launch.
While there are a lot of things I really like that they changed since I last played (Modules not costing rare materials anymore, the Stock market building being a thing) there are also a lot of head scratchers.

For example - Synthetics. They are at the very end-tier and appear after you've pleased the Investors. What do they give? Workforce. Nothing else. You know what kind of module you can build? -20% Workforce. 5 per building bringing it down to 1 worker per factory for a measly 5 grid space and a low cost investment. So that was a huge letdown after all that work. Starting a new sector and need the workforce? No sorry you can't bring the synethics. At least they sound like Eve and that made me smile a bit.

The Tundra DLC was OK but it felt like borderline cheating when I slapped on a x2 bonus on a factory and saw that it pumped out double the androids without needing more material input (except the tundra gel).

The Orbit DLC I'm sad over the wasted potential. I like the potential bonuses it can give (Organic food for Luxury meal instead of Soy->Beef!) and it's a nice puzzle to figure out what goes where. What I hated was the time gating. If I had gotten it for 12€ I'd been pissed for how little actual "content" it added and how much was waiting around for modules to unlock.

The invasions that the frontier DLC added was a nice surprise. Drake, the villain of the game, was actually a huge threat to my sector since my income dropped into the huge negatives. The scramble to get the fleet ASAP into the sector, split it up and hunt down everything as quickly as possible was a nice diversion and definitely made him feel like a threat rather than a toothless crazy moon man he was before. Since it also gives out Combat experience and a bit of rare materials when you liberate the sector it worked like a nice alternative to doing the "combat zones".

Honestly I'm very split about the season pass. The addition were nice, but I feel like they easily could've doubled the amount of new maps since they removed the random map generator.

After both 2070 and 2205 being futuristic I want to see a return back into the medieval times. Here's to hoping Anno 2205 didn't flop too badly. :(

Lamquin fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 4, 2016

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I'm looking forward to Anno 9.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
...Roman colonies on fictional Mediterranean islands? Because I would play the poo poo out of that.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tehan posted:

...Roman colonies on fictional Mediterranean islands? Because I would play the poo poo out of that.

if they do that the jorgenson for that setting should be a hard as nails barbarian warlord.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Agean90 posted:

if they do that the jorgenson for that setting should be a hard as nails barbarian warlord.

Tehan posted:

Absolutely yes. :neckbeard:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Does anybody here have experience modding Anno 1404? I'm messing with the AI using the .rda explorer, and thought I should check in to see if anybody else has tried this before.

Ultimately I just want to slow down the AI start by a little bit, so the rush to tools and colonizing the orient and a bread+beer island isn't quite as frantic. The belligerent AI's are cool, I just want more time to build the prettiest peasant hovels :v:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I played mountains of Anno 1404, a tiny bit of 2070, and I'm working on 2205, but I'm kinda in a slump just after getting the second tier of Lunar colonists. Not being able to set up complex trade routes where I route really optimal cargo loads and sell off excess goods is kind of a bummer, as is not having my trade routes visually traveling around the map (since it's all between sectors).

So I've been thinking about just going back to 1404, but I was wondering if there's A) any sweet mods or something, I dunno what I would ask for but I always ask if there's anything like that, B) some collection of really cool or neat map seeds people have found?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ambivalent posted:

as is not having my trade routes visually traveling around the map (since it's all between sectors).

They are in the game. Temperate and arctic zones have container ships (of varying sizes depending on how much you're moving around) sailing around between the spaceport, harbors, and the edge of the map for each trade route, and lunar settlements have shuttles taking off and landing for lunar trade routes (and again, bigger shuttles for bigger trade routes).

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, but it's not the same as having my like 12 ships in 1404 that are doing an intricate ballet of loading & unloading goods. My beautiful precious ballet of automation

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 21, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Consider the timeline. Historical may be better for you. I'm a high tech futuristic type so I like the way 2205 does it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lorini posted:

Consider the timeline. Historical may be better for you. I'm a high tech futuristic type so I like the way 2205 does it.

Agreed. 2205 is my first entry in the series, and I've since gone back and tried 1404. I just can't do it. I don't mind the historical aspect, but good lord do I miss the screen to instantly see my overall output of each resource. Also miss the ability to move buildings around with a click, but really it's that button to immediately see at a quick glance my output of each resource automatically calculating my production versus my consumption.

Still on the fence about getting Tundra or Orbit, though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tundra is good and easy to digest, it creates stuff to make your main base much more efficient. Orbit's the one with the Stock Market right? I'm meh on that one but I think others have enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lorini posted:

Tundra is good and easy to digest, it creates stuff to make your main base much more efficient. Orbit's the one with the Stock Market right? I'm meh on that one but I think others have enjoyed it.

Nah, stock market was free. Orbit's the tech tree. Which, for a tech tree, was actually really well done. It was still a paid DLC for a tech tree.

• Locked thread