Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

You can tell this is from the Financial Times, but they have an effective paywall so no point in looking for a link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I need some help with something. I'm trying to figure out what word would mean "rule by the living dead" for an article I'm working on. I figure it's something like vivo-necrocracy, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Suggestions anyone?

In the news: Bail-ins for Greece looking more and more likely everyday. I've heard, depending on the size of the "haircut," it could be as much as 50 percent of depositor funds.

Some bonus images:

EDIT: One more I just saw on Imgur.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hsL9UL9qbv8&t=48s

Freedom bitches!

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

This question of "why is reality being shunned in favor of symbols" has been appearing again and again lately. Fortunately, I think I have an answer. It's a bit involved but the short version is that a society in transition, is a society without identity, what anthropologists call "Liminality." As a result, everyone is hosed up and crazy.

This helps to provide some explanation (but is not limited) to the following:
  • Sudden emotional outbursts
  • Mass shootings and violence in general ("Violence is always a quest for identity. The less identity the more violence." - Marshal McLuhan)
  • Obsession with symbols (eg. Confederate Flag)
  • Preoccupation with rules over nebulous concepts like justice (See 'Zero Tolerance' abuses)
  • A desire to "define" oneself (eg. conservative, American, Christian, transgender, etc.)
  • Self-directed violence in the form of local rioting (possibly, still thinking on this one, though if anyone else has a thought, I'm all for hearing it.)

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Look, the stoic and bureaucratic nature of the German people has never hurt anyone before.

From Greece:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

I guess this means less than it seems

Leave it to liberal elites (Yes the Post qualifies) to completely misunderstand Trump's appeal. Trump is like Hitler, a demagogue, appealing to a broad disenchantment with reality. He says a few things which people believe are true, getting him some attention. But what really attracts him to the Republican base is his vitriol. He is an embodiment of their pent up rage.

Hannah Arendt wrote the primary appeal of the totalitarian culture, perhaps any culture, is that it can create “a lying world of consistency which is more adequate to the needs of the human mind than reality itself." We cannot stand that the world does not make sense to us. So much about life seems arbitrary, directionless and futile. If our cultural myths are inadequate to the task of creating meaning and purpose, we work to create new meaning. Violence is one such method and Trump is willing to supply some of it.

This is part of a subconscious hostility, our “rage to live” as Belgian writer Raoul Vaneghime described it. This hostility is profound in the US, especially among Republicans. They want someone to smite their enemies with unrelenting force. It is through this violence they hope to have new meaning and direction in life.

Long story short: McCain is seen as a weak loser. I'm sure they're completely happy to throw him overboard.

In other news, I'm getting better at GIMP. I call it "Shine, Perishing Republic" after the Jeffers poem.

EDIT: Had to clear up some of that rant.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 19, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

SO sick of seeing that one and its variations.

From Udo J. Keppler:

Bonus images:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

The sad part is that Trump is just some ridiculous sideshow there to highlight how ridiculous the Republican party has become...

I think it's a mistake to say Trump is just a symptom of the Republican party's excess, though he is that. To be more accurate, we have to look at ourselves too. A nation is like an organism, something that works in a far more fluid manner. Trump is a symptom (and a symbol) of the psyche of the entire United States. Shallow, detached from reality, desperate for meaning and willing to use violence to "right the ship" as it were, to bring order to chaos.

Trump is what anthropologist call a "trickster" personality -- never considered important in a sane society, but deadly serious in a time of transition or uncertainty. They sometimes offer Faustian bargains, mostly for their own amusement. Mythologically, there are many examples. The classic historical example of course is Hitler, who never would have been able to come to power without the hyperinflation and indignities of living in Wiemar Germany.

Typically however, the trickster is not totally evil or totally good. After all, Trump isn't Hillary Clinton or Lindsey Graham, who certainly qualify. I can't hate Trump, not after giving out Graham's phone number (who incidentally would play the part of Martin Sheen in the Dead Zone).

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 26, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Cosby mural tagged, then removed.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I think you are misunderstanding the motive of our political and military institutions. It's continual failure to rebuild other bombed out nations is at least partially because that isn't the motive. Typically the motive of a colonial war is to extract wealth, not deposit it. Further, this tendency is exacerbated by an emphasis on strip mining resources as opposed to investing in them for future returns. What good is a functioning economy in the Middle East to America's oligarchy anyway? There may be a broad benefit, but not one that is sufficiently relevant to the elite.

Charles Bukowski: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDiLfQUBnyA

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
More random stuff.

They civilize left
They civilize right
Till nothing is left
Till nothing is right
They civilize freedom
Till no one is free
No one except
By coincidence, me

—The First Thing You Know, Paint Your Wagon

"I have caught him, he who has been feared since time immemorial: I have made him small and my hand surrounds him. That is the demise of the Gods: man puts them in his pocket. That is the end of the story." —Carl Jung

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 5, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Plato, quoting Socrates, said in Phaedrus:

Plato posted:

“The discovery of the alphabet will create forgetfulness in the learners’ souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves…You give your disciples not truth but only the semblance of truth; they will be heroes of many things, and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing. They will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality.”

If you are reading this, your language is in decay. Words are inherently "low context" compared to spoken language, and as a result, do not carry meaning as easily. However, it is more efficient at communicating quickly and disseminating that information. Even more low context is the image. The image based society communicates extremely quickly, but without depth. This enables centralized power to control people very effectively.

According to the biblical legend, a unified humanity, speaking the same language, was able to create a structure tall enough to pierce the heavens, the tower of Babel. God, angered by this display, dispersed humanity and gave it many languages, assuring no such power could be reassembled.

Today, the image is becoming the new "global language." It has fulfilled the prophecy that one day we would create a new language that could once again ascend to heaven and challenge (kill) God. The image is an extension of civilization. It doesn't empower individuals, but enables them to work in pursuit of civilization's goals. The image enslaves us as we construct new towers to kill god.

Sorry, this is grossly oversimplified, and I'm writing fast. Enjoy these pictures as penance.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
G.K. Chesterton once said something to the effect of "When things are done wildly, but taken mildly, the state is going insane." If things continue as they have, we are mere years away from the president naming a horse as Secretary of State (a la Caligula).

^Prepare to be disappointed.

OK. Quiz time. Who said this 3 years ago:

quote:

I’m kind of a Snooki fan. Look how tiny she’s gotten. She’s lost weight. She’s energetic. Just her spark-plug personality is kind of fun.
—Mitt Romney, when asked to choose whom he likes more: Honey Boo Boo or Snooki

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

For the record, the non-seasonally adjusted unemployment numbers were +77,000. That's lower than the same time last year (161,000) & much lower than the year before (272,000).

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
File these under parody that could easily be real (a file which gets larger everyday).

More random goodies:

"In the end, man is not entirely guilty — he did not start history. Nor is he wholly innocent — he continues it." —Albert Camus, The Rebel

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
This seems to be the theme for today: "Welcome to the Left, where your number one enemy is other Leftists."

Random unconnected stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M-cmNdiFuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz0o9clVQu8

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 10, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Domestic Terrorism in the US: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY8N_tSBDts

Just a short reminder of what the Republican base consist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83LDtji3iEY

"One of the good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." —Kurt Vonnegut

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I was at the barber the other day and one of them compared Trump to Hitler. While he is still a Trump supporter (along with the other half dozen people there), there was an awareness that supporting Trump is a desperate act, similar to what occurred during the Weimar republic. His support has more to do with rejecting the establishment than actually believing in anything Trump has to sell. Trump has what I like to call a Transformers-esque foreign policy. "What's the plot? What do the bad guys want? Who cares?! These racist robots with testicles don't need a reason to kick Decepticon butt. Get to the explosions!"

That works for the Republican base, who would settle for a swift kick in the face for every man woman and child if it would give their pathetic lives just the slightest bit of meaning, but the majority of Americans are now totally nihilistic in their rejection of everything. Hence Trump's very broad support that extends well beyond the party. When nothing is true, everything is permitted... even voting for a total lunatic.

Here is a series of photos I compiled from José Clemente Orozco's mural The Epic of American Civilization at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. It is meant to be a chronological depiction of life in America. There are a few more images I haven't tracked down, but this is most of them. It should be remembered that this is indoors, so there are doors, vents, etc. bordering some of the images.

You can see the full album I compiled here. You should really view those images through that link, since I include the names of each section, which is really helpful in understanding what the hell you are looking at. A description of these and the other parts of the mural not included can be found in this brochure.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

tbp posted:

I AM EYE ROLLING SO HARD IT SHOULD BE AUDIBLE.

To quote Christopher Lasch, "When the images of power overshadow the reality, those without power find themselves fighting phantoms.”

The living dead:

More random stuff:

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 18, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Holy christ, we're going to lose the white house next year.

Good. You deserve it.

EDIT: I also LOVE how her staff let her dress up in solid orange. Subliminal messaging at it's finest right there. I was utterly transfixed by it and didn't even know why. Then it hit me.

"When nothing is true, everything is permitted… even voting for a total lunatic." - Nihilist for Trump

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 19, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1U-6Erus5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRHS-8IEuC8

In other news... It's 2011 all over again.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Woman Sees Trump’s Face In Tub Of Butter

I can't believe it's not Trump!

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

There is nothing objectionable about an image of a black man being lynched.

And if he is guilty of war crimes (which he almost certainly is)? What then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdD9uSrNFT4

Alternatively, if you can't stand listening to Chomsky speak, as I cannot.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
When asked what group is the highest threat to America, the answer is the US government, followed so distantly by everything else as to be completely irrelevant. Anyway, here's a whole bunch of crap I dug up for you.

Nov 2014: A wheelchair & blankets in 28F weather, in front of the blue screen of death in our nation’s capital.

CPAC 2014

The Onion:

Random stuff:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Bernie Sanders Says He Will Not End Drone Program If Elected President

-16 and counting. Look at it go!

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

From Linh Dinh’s blog "Postcards from the End of America:"

From Iowa:

quote:

57-years-old, Dean is from Holland, MI, but has lived in Ohio, Louisiana, California and Oregon. A ex-junkie and life long con man, he has been jailed for 10 years altogether, and when I met him on the train going through Iowa seven weeks ago, Dean had just been released from a Michigan prison. He let me in on some of the intricacies of barcode, check and credit card frauds, and said he’s a kind of Robin Hood, “I give money to the poor. I’m stealing for Jesus."

"So how come he lets you go to jail?”

“Because sometimes it’s good to go to jail.”

Edit: With regard to our discussion earlier:

Wallace Shawn posted:

"It’s obviously a characteristic of human beings that we like to feel superior to others. But our problem is that we’re not superior. We like the sensation of being served by others and feeling superior to them, but if we’re forced to get to know the people who serve us, we quickly see that they’re in fact just like us. And then we become uncomfortable - uncomfortable and scared, because if we can see that we’re just the same, well, they might too, and if they did, they might become terribly, terribly angry because why should they be serving us? So that’s why we prefer not to talk to waiters."

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 4, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Good lord. Three former treasury secretaries (and bankers) joking over creating income inequality. Hank Paulson and Robert Rubin. Not pictured, Timmy "2011 is the Summer of the Recovery" Geithner, to the left, also laughing.

Full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZfXqxdGOB4

Analogous to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgflCE7zRpc

They forgot QE1... QE2... Operation Twist... QE3... QE4... the probably forthcoming QE5...

Come on people, I need a new avatar. Hook me up.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 5, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Wow, I never knew Father Coughlin and JC Denton were the same person.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Trump went on stage to REM’s “It’s the End of the World as we Know It (and I Feel Fine).” Could this get more surreal? I look forward to Trump’s acceptance speech at the Republican nominating convention set to RATM’s “Know Your Enemy.” I'd poo poo my pants if he did that.

Max Blumenthal riling them up as is his way: :nms:

Random poo poo:

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 10, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

I seem to remember Dick Chaney making a similar argument about Iraq.

The important lessons of history are often radical. As a result, history never records them. Old lies are reborn with every new election cycle and every new war.

Writers have been exposing lies like these for thousands of years, but new generations, disadvantage by their youth, must learn the lessons of human failure anew. This is more than ironic. It seems to be a rule that history repeats, only changing terminology to suit the zeitgeist.

Our attention span is so short, we cannot even remember lies we've seen in our lifetime. This is what Gore Vidal called The United States of Amnesia. We are like the protagonist in the film Memento; unable to form new memories, we are continually betrayed by the same cast of fraudsters, over and over again, tricked into acting out untold violence against innocent people for the benefit of some poo poo-heads in Washington or on Wall Street.

UK city installs 'Advertising Eyes' using facial recognition cams to display targeted ads at passersby. https://t.co/2uKXnt0Hla

'Safest School in America' has ridiculous anti-intruder measures. http://t.co/t4wUn4o8pv

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
You missed the best one!

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Showing my refinement and sophistication here.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

This site is "The Ultimate Online Archive of Unflattering Hillary Clinton Photos." Some care has been taken to weed out photoshoped pictures and sexist ones as well. My favorite:

Includes the caption: "The 'devil picture' may look suspect, but it's real; it was taken at an Ohio high school where the school team is called "The Red Devils"; the photo was released by Reuters."

I like this one too for it's alternate universe / nightmare America implications.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ2UAYgIXG8

In what can only be called an act of desperation, Fed Chair Janet Yellen gave a speech basically saying she would raise rates later this year, just a week after saying rates would remain at .1 percent. It's only serving to further the narrative that the Fed has lost credibility -- though really, it lost control long ago.

Toward the end of the speech, she faltered, later receiving medical attention for “dehydration.” Whatever the reason, she looked bad. Above is the isolated clip.

Random stuff:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Lena Dunham Asked Hillary Clinton if She Saw Lenny Kravitz’s Penis
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/lena-dunham-asked-hillary-clinton-if-she-saw-lenny-kravitzs-penis/

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
The Pope's visit to the US in brief.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Well, someone needed to put the Simpsons out of their misery.

Also, if you guys ruin another thread with gun poo poo... I will be mildly inconvenienced until another pic thread opens up.

EDIT:

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 4, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

The Dark One posted:

This is not fake.

+/- 4.9 percentage margin of error? Only 400 people polled? Not fake, but not really meaningful either. Polls of this size are done to drive media narratives. No one spends money on real polls (5,000+ people, >2.5% error) until there's actually something at stake.

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/654792470585196546

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I found Ben Carson's class portrait

I prefer mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

• Locked thread