Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I wonder why anyone on the left would support restricting firearms when you have greater oligarchic control being pushed on our society.

America is a well armed society but doesn't seem to have much trouble maintaining a large class divide and massive accumulation of wealth in the hands of the elite in spite of that, the idea that a well armed populace will eventually rise up against Corporate taskmasters is usually wishful thinking, in any event people with the money and power will also usually have more and better weapons.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Your point illustrates exactly what I think is a major fallacy. The government is far from benign--that's true. On the other hand, it's at least partially accountable, and it can become as benign as we make it.
What's not benign (what's extremely harmful, in fact) is something you didn't mention--business power, which is highly concentrated and, by now, largely transnational. Business power is very far from benign and it's completely unaccountable. It's a totalitarian system that has an enormous effect on our lives. It's also the main reason why the government isn't benign.

As for guns being the way to respond to this, that's outlandish. First of all, this is not a weak Third World country. If people have pistols, the government has tanks. If people get tanks, the government has atomic weapons. There's no way to deal with these issues by violent force, even if you think that that's morally legitimate.

Guns in the hands of American citizens are not going to make the country more benign. They're going to make it more brutal, ruthless and destructive. So while one can recognize the motivation that lies behind some of the opposition to gun control, I think it's sadly misguided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rGX91rq5I

The UK is bad at elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nckdictator posted:

Have some random WW2 Japanese propaganda.

Uh, don't octopus regrow damaged limbs without too much hassle? These propagandists were anticipating the 'A good cartoon' thing decades before it appeared here.

MORE CEPHALOPODS:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crowsbeak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLKwNthD0go

Remember you are a murderer if you eat Meat.

Won't somebody think of the lowly meat-eater, oppressed from all directions of society.

Jeremy Corbyn became a vegetarian after his experiences working on a pig farm.

On the other hand David Cameron remains a fan of pork to this day.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey good for Jeremy, all power to him. I like that he rides a bike everywhere. Also I like that he doesn't barge into restaurants to scream at people for eating chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfRMeU6pQ8

He also appointed a vegan as his shadow secretary of Environmental, Rural and Food affairs, one who thinks that encouraging Vegetarianism is a good idea which sent a lot of people, predictably ballistic.

Choice quote:

quote:

Oh, the irony: Left wing pushing for "liberalism" with fascists policies
First they came for meat eaters...

• Locked thread