Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Volcott posted:

If you ever want to feel better about the state of race relations in the US, ask an European what they think of Gypsies/Romani.

:smith:

quote:

"I was walking down Moore Street Dublin on a Sunday when I was passed by a family of Romany Gypsies and then I heard behind me a bunch of Irish teenage girls shouting abuse at them and thinking they were very funny. They then picked up old fruit from the stalls and were throwing this at the Romany Gypsies, this escalated as the Gypsies responded verbally. Then further as one teenage girl found an old stallholders plastic chair and ran after the Gypsies hitting the woman pictured from behind. The woman tries to protect her baby wrapped in her arm in blankets...."

The difference is that in the US, these types of people are more likely to shoot the object of their hatred. If this sort of thing makes anyone "feel better", take a moment to consider that if you need hosed up poo poo to offset how hosed up and lovely you feel about other hosed up poo poo, well, that's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Krowley posted:

Breaking news: Man from telly eats snack whilst travelling

Thread needs more Spider Jerusalem.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

poo poo, I was saving that one for later...

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

An alternative viewpoint to the "getting raped in the rear end is justice" one:

Gregory David Roberts posted:

"Justice is a judgment that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us and must be punished by us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong. It is the way we try to save them " - Shantaram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6bfIvUjAuw

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Bless the Beasts and the Parents of Dead Children.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Volcott posted:

Also, only in the UK could pepper spray be considered an offensive weapon.

I'm guessing the UK isn't too different from Australia, where pepper spray, lasers with an output over 1mW, and body armour are all classified as offensive weapons. :australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOk1SnQ8uU

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 14, 2015

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Sub-replacement birth rates are a good thing. I'd hope that if we can work together to improve the developing world (or at least not constantly dick them over) then they will also get sub-replacement birth rates, so I don't see it as being mutually exclusive with feeding the world.

Trying to reduce population by war or famine is a pretty terrible idea though, I think we can agree on that. It's not only terrible and inhumane, it plain doesn't work in the long term.

"... if every women were to bear only one natural child the population of the Earth would fall by fifty percent in about forty years without war, epidemic disease or forced migration..."

"A woman on the Upper East Side of New York, or in Malibu who has a child, that child will have between eight hundred and a thousand times more negative impact on the environment of the Earth, than a child born to a woman in Bangladesh. Where do we preach birth control? Bangladesh." - Terence McKenna

:catdrugs: for all! On the other hand,

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

:gbsmith:

unrelated:

Australia's Prime Minister announces a Royal Commission into Northern Territory Juvenile Detention after the ABC (no, not that ABC) ran a story on abuse at a Darwin juvenile detention facility; the NT's Corrections Minister John Elferink has been sacked from that position, but is still part of the NT's Cabinet as Attorney General and Minister for Justice. Perhaps Australia is finally going to look at phasing out institutional abuse for kids! (or may double down on covering that poo poo up, who am I kidding. After all, It's now illegal to report the suffering of refugee children in our offshore concentration camps after abuse was reported last year.)

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Volcott posted:

Man born in 1916 held outdated views, news at 11.

(He said that in the 80s? That's... less defensible.)

I don't think you're gonna like the Duke of Edinburgh much either.

the telly posted:

1986: He asked a Scottish driving instructor in Oban: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?"

2002:To Australian Aborigines during a visit to Australia with the Queen he asked: "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 23, 2016

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

The Pain posted:

Not much humorous to say about this one. I dashed it off just in time to make the first deadline after the election. No way around it, that election was a downer. It's become harder to blame the blackening political skies exclusively on the dumb criminal arrogance of the Bush administration; the time may have come to reluctnatly concede that most Americans are just so stupid they'll reliably vote for whoever spends more money on TV propaganda. That said, though, I have to admit the Democrats deserved to lose. Although my own Senators (Sarbanes and Miukulski) are pretty progressive and were both vocal opponents of the invasiaon of Iraq, the Democratic Party hasn't really stood for anything at all in decades, not since America's labor force was shopped out to Mexico and Reagan/Bush made it okay to hate coloreds again. Their craven support of Bush's Iraq resolution was their official announcement of death. The best thing they can do now is for their last withered remnants to die off quickly and make way for some new party that does stand for something. In the meantime I think we can safely count on the Republicans to behave so vilely--giving themselves and their corporations a few hundred billion dollars in tax breaks at our expense and sending a couple thousand expendable working-class kids to get killed in the Gulf for oil profits--that finally even the American people might notice. Or maybe it'll take al Qaeda mustard-gassing the loving Superbowl before anyone in the national press corps politely raises a hand and asks hey whatever happened to that Osama guy anyway.

Sorry, everyone. Some weeks it's harder than others to find the funny side of things. - 11/20/02

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

South Sudan Cartoons - World Peace Foundation via War is Boring:

Part 2:

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I have an image, and a stupid question. my image is imgur, it is breaking the borders of this page, and I don't know how to gently caress with it to make it tiny and appropriate for this page without loving up the quality

~until I know how to do that I'll just leave the link here~

http://imgur.com/SFRmrWo

[timg][/timg]

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

E: Orwell on Patriotism vs. Nationalism, for what it's worth.

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 26, 2017

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

I wonder which of these wannabe führers wants to be the example of "Authority figures stopped tweeting calls for murder after only one death. Perhaps they do it because they know there are no consequences yet."

https://twitter.com/Karnythia/status/827909808141500416

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

While we're at it:

:(

Or maybe they were aiming for itirwiniii

• Locked thread