Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Huh, Rhodesian flag, you don't really see those outside of white supremacist or weird crypto-racist groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

"Hitler sighed as he unboxed his 'Kantai Collection' blurays"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Who's the clown?

Some Japanese nationalist crank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPAwZkXcy_M

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

north charleston city hall looks like a shopping mall

edit: ha! way to be a poo poo in every way imaginable

The real crime here is they took the photo vertically.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I thought I'd heard all the various confederate apologist arguments but I'd dearly love to know how the rebellion was 'the first war against terrorism'. The terrorism of non-slavery? Or what?

Probably intended for the slavery apologist "Bleeding Kansas was abolitionist aggression against innocent slave owners" types.

And, IIRC, the first "war against terrorism" would probably be better defined as the French suppression of the Hugeonots in the 1500s, as the Hugeonots carried out a number of assassinations and as a result Catholic Frenchmen responded by slaughtering large numbers of people, and France spent the latter half of the century in civil war. Alternatively in the 1800s we have the British reaction to the French revolution and the Terror, unrest in Ireland, or the opposition to the Carbonari nationalists in Italy.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Long before 'gently caress the police' there was 'gently caress the papists'

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Volcott posted:

Sanders is the Ron Paul of 2016. His only real purpose in this election is to push Hillary to the left.

But will Bernie Sanders buy a blimp and then gently caress off with everybody's donation money before selling gold and iodine to scared liberals?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

Have some random WW2 Japanese propaganda.

" You are still alive! What a miracle! And marching, too. But WHERE? To the Philippines? To Tokyo? But do you know what awaits you in the Philippines? Let me tell you. It is the Japanese forces with the combined support, both moral and material, of all the awakened Asiatics--the Manchukuoans, Chinese, Filipinos, Annamese, Thailanders, Burmese, Indians, Malayans and Indonesians. And the Japanese are there to pound you incessantly and relentlessly as you should have known. Perhaps they may retreat temporarily, but only to attack you again with double fierceness after your reinforcements have arrived. Day in and day out the Japanese troops are also pushing to the front in ever-increasing numbers. And remember, entire Asia is behind them! As long as you persist in marching west, the attacks will continue. Innumerable strongholds are all set to give you the hearty welcome from the land, air and sea. The reverberation of their rousing welcome must even now be in your ears.

But this is not all. There is still another thing in store for you along the Philippines front. What is this thing? I will again answer you. It is a grave. YOUR GRAVE! Nobody can say where it exactly is, but it is certain that it does exist somewhere in the Philippines, and you are bound to find it sooner or later, far or near. Today? Tomorrow? Who knows? But one thing is positive. You are heading west for your grave--as positive as the sun sets in the west. Officers and men, you still insist on marching west? If so, I shall have to carve an epitaph for you.

There are only two definite things on earth. LIFE and DEATH. The difference between LIFE and DEATH is absolute. One cannot rely upon the dead; no one can make friends with the dead; the dead can neither speak nor mingle with the living. If you insist on marching west, we (by we I mean all living things) must bid you goodbye and stop bothering with you, because we, the living, are too busy to have anything to do with the dead.

Your politicians are among those who survive and are enjoying life comfortably at home. General Marshall and General MacArthur can enjoy their reputation as heroes only because they are alive. But you... you continue to march westwards to sure death, to keep your rendezvous with the grave. The same holds true for your comrades-in-arms who are pathetically struggling to escape their ultimate fate. The graves await you. So again goodbye, American soldiers!..... Farewell!..... Farewell!....."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
If you're into military history or whatever, 20 guns would barely cover WWII service rifles.

quote:

The new weapon was produced in a network of factories in Moscow, with high-level local Party members made directly responsible for meeting production targets. A few hundred weapons were produced in November 1941 and another 155,000 were made during the next five months. By spring 1942, the PPSh factories were producing roughly 3,000 units a day. Soviet production figures for 1942 indicate that almost 1.5 million units were produced. The PPSh-41 was a classic example of a design adapted for mass production. Its parts (excluding the barrel) could be produced by a relatively unskilled workforce with simple equipment available in an auto repair garage or tin shop, freeing more skilled workers for other tasks. The PPSh-41 used 87 components compared to 95 for the PPD-40 and the PPSh could be manufactured with an estimated 5.6 machining hours (later revised to 7.3 hours) compared with 13.7 hours for the PPD. Barrel production was often simplified by using barrels for the 7.62mm M1891 Mosin–Nagant rifle: the rifle barrel was cut in half and two PPSh barrels were made from it after machining the chamber for the 7.62mm Soviet submachine gun cartridge.

quote:

During design, emphasis was placed on simplifying production and eliminating most machining operations; most of the weapon's parts were sheet-steel stamped. These measures reduced the number of machined components to a bare minimum, cutting down machining time by more than half, to 2.7 hours of machining instead of 7.3 hours for the PPSh-41. There were also savings of over 50% in raw steel usage, down to 6.2 kg instead of 13.9 kg, and fewer workers were required to manufacture and assemble the parts. Thanks to the improvements in production efficiency, the Soviet planners estimated that the new gun would have allowed an increase in monthly submachine gun output from 135,000 units to 350,000 weapons.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"We are one of those nations that somehow are not part of mankind, but exist only for the sake of teaching the world some kind of terrible lesson." -Pyotr Chaadayev. (He was subsequently declared to be "mentally insane" for his criticism of the Tsarist government and placed under house arrest.)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Narciss posted:

Did you know they (Iran) provide state-funded sex changes for gay men?

So they get to pick between forced gender reassignment, or getting hung from a construction crane. How progressive.
:nws::nms:http://i.imgur.com/vCVAjBJ.jpg:nms::nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

GANDHITRON posted:

It's from some blog or something called "Liar Town." Some stuff from there is kind of funny (I think the Cussin' Bears magazine cover comes from there), but a lot of it's loving dumb. So that image is a fake and it's satirizing people who want to call attention to lighthearted rape references and jokes.

:captainpop:

Oliver Stone made a glurge movie about 9/11 and cast a white guy as a black Marine.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

"Okay honey, now take a picture of me with the death squad!"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

And :nms: for the hideous 1960s architecture of Brazil's capitol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwI0P7AV7DE

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ryonguy posted:

..unless you ingest it in literally any other way, but lololololol hippies and pot amirite? Man, reactionary dipshits are so loving predictable.

Prediction: you will post a stupid loving link containing tenuous evidence that any form of marijuana use causes cancer at which point everyone will refer you to literally every other study that did the same thing for everything from sugar substitutes to cell phones.

fake edit: you're boring, stop posting.

U illiterate?
\/\/\/\/

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Transhumanism/Posthumanism. :jerkbag:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Jesus loving Christ. :catstare:

For people who don't want to see freeze-frames of somebody getting shot, it's the Daily News being classy as ever.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The USS Texas (the only remaining dreadnought) is in a similar sorry state. Supposedly they're still plugging holes in the hull with rags and the plans to place her in a dry berth have apparently been shelved due to a lack of money.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Is that a T34/85 at the top of the row of tanks :psyduck:

Yes.

Other notables:
A French Panhard AML-90 in the lower right, a armored car with a 90mm cannon.
A Tunguska anti-air system in the upper left.
What looks like a Pantsir-S1 (Tunguska turret on a flatbed trailer basically) next to the Panhard.
A SA-11 (Buk) launcher in the upper right.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

double nine posted:

Not sure I understand the purpose, is it a targeting range (bombing with duds or sthing?) or simply "learn what these things look like from above"?

The "petting zoo" is a sort of a museum crossed with a research and training center, basically a place for the military to study foreign (Warsaw Pact mainly) equipment to find it's strengths and flaws. Apparently nowadays civilians can get tours of the unclassified sections.

Inside they have a MiG-23 (captured from Iraq) and a MiG-29 (Purchased from Moldova in 1997 to keep Iran from buying them), along with various examples of infantry weapons and so on.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Good thing he didn't bring a gaming computer to school otherwise people would be claiming it looks just like a suitcase nuke.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

lol if you think its easy to fire cops in the south.

hint: just because their union isn't as powerful doesn't mean the cops don't still control hiring and firing!

https://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20111204/article/111139979?tc=ar

quote:

Fired five times and arrested three, he was charged with stealing a car, trying to board an airplane with a loaded gun and driving with a suspended license.

Internal Affairs investigations found that Bosque split a man's lip with a head butt. He opened another man's head with a leg sweep and takedown. He spit in the face of a drunken, stumbling arrestee. One time, he smacked a juvenile so hard the boy's face was red and swollen the next day.

Bosque has been caught defying direct orders, lying to supervisors and falsifying police reports. Off duty, he was accused by women of domestic violence and stalking. During inspections, the agency found a counterfeit $20 bill, cocaine and crack pipes in his patrol car.

Still, Bosque has kept his badge.

In Florida, the process of investigating and disciplining police officers and prison guards is flawed at every level, allowing troubled lawmen to return to work after repeated acts of misconduct, a Herald-Tribune investigation has found.

quote:

During an August interview in Opa-Locka, Bosque lit up with excitement when he heard that he led the state in discipline cases.

"I can't believe that," he said. "I'm not trying to smile. I just ... drat!"

A high-level staff member with the FDLE's Bureau of Officer Standards had a different reaction. He first said it wasn't possible for an officer to get in trouble that many times and still be certified.

Then he pulled Bosque's records.

His response: "Holy s--t."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'd change my name too if it was shared with a library arsonist.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

http://www.videofact.com/english/defectors2_4en.html

quote:

Q: What made you question?

Belenko: Because I am very practical, technically oriented, person. I love to be in wilderness alone with Swiss army knife and matches rather than have a huge surplus and a huge crowd. When you're around very sophisticated equipment you have this honest trait-do it right and enjoy, do it wrong and die. You cannot use ideology to survive, or be like American lawyers who can talk themselves out of any situation. So I questioned the Soviet system by using my technological knowledge. I said okay U.S. is so bad how come they send man on the moon and bring him back? (Russians could send men on the moon in only one way.) If U.S. is so bad how come they're building best fighters in the world? If U.S. is fallen apart how come they have more Nobel Prize winners than progressive communist society? At same time I could not ask anyone those questions. If I had, at that time (in late 1960s), I would have ended up in mental institution. So I made my conclusion that U. S. is not that bad. At same time I did not have a clear picture of American society. And when I came to U.S. I behaved like someone from outer space. I put myself in very funny situations. Americans were laughing at me. I behaved worse than Mork in "Mork and Mindy".

Q: Like what did you do, for example?

Belenko: First of all American super-market, my first visit was under CIA supervision, and I thought it was set-up; I did not believe super-market was real one. I thought well I was unusual guest; they probably kicked everyone out. It's such a nice, big place with incredible amount of produce, and no long lines! You're accustomed to long lines in Russia. But later, when I discovered super-market was real one, I had real fun exploring new products. I would buy, everyday, a new thing and try to figure out its function. In Russia at that time (and even today) it's hard to find canned food, good one. But everyday I would buy new cans with different food. Once I bought a can which said "dinner." I cooked it with potatoes, onions, and garlic-it was delicious. Next morning my friends ask me, "Viktor, did you buy a cat?" It was a can of chicken-based cat food. But it was delicious! It was better than canned food for people in Russia today. And I did test it. Last year I brought four people from Russia for commercial project, and I set them up. I bought nibble sized human food. I installed a pâté, and it was cat food. I put it on crackers. And they did consume it, and they liked it. So the taste has not changed. By the way, for those who are not familiar with American cat food. It's very safe; it's delicious, and sometimes it's better than human food, because of the Humane Society.

I bought a box of Freedom with the picture of nice looking lady. I did not know what it was. (I'm talking about maxi-pads.) I brought it to my apartment, I opened it, and I tried to figure it out. I thought well it's probably some cleaning device for the kitchen to give these American women freedom in the kitchen to clean up and absorb everything, because even today Russian women do not have this convenience.

Q: What do they use?

Belenko: Well, what American women did in 1920s. This is the gap between two societies. During my presentations I emphasize this by using samples from everyday life. I had so much fun and adventure during my assimilation of American culture. You could write a book or make a movie, "Top-Gunski in America." I know how Russians live today, and as long as I live I'll never take those things for granted which many Americans do take for granted.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

“I want to live a safe and clean life, have a gourmet meal, go out freely, wear pretty things and luxuriate. I want to live my life the way I want without a care in the world — all at the expense of someone else. I have an idea. Why don’t I become a refugee?”

You'd think the Japanese would be maybe a bit considerate towards war refugees.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Fateo McMurray posted:

That's missing the 2nd half

BINKS LIED YOUNGLINGS DIED!

quote:

Later, on the behalf of the Naboo, he gives a speech to the assembled Senate in favor of granting Chancellor Palpatine vast emergency powers. These are granted, giving Palpatine the power he needs to subsequently overthrow the senate and bring the galaxy into the dictatorial control of the Sith's Galactic Empire.
(Iraq/Patriot Act metaphor?)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

"Tonight we'll dispense with the formalities. I'd like to toast the future prime minister of Canada: to Justin Pierre Trudeau."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Hitler was radicalized before he went to Vienna. And he already knew how to paint.

Wasn't a very good artist though, I'd say motel art at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Three OSHA films produced in 1980 that were banned by the Reagan administration in 1981 for being "too biased towards workers." The films were recalled and destroyed, but some union officials held onto copies despite threats that they'd loose all funding for health and safety programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1N48Z5HerA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puRnHE1nNYE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2JTQjiCdc

• Locked thread