Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Veotax posted:

Maybe I'm just a cynical rear end, but most of these collections and ports are mostly the same game with no changes running on the new system.

I'm just surprised that this seems to have some effort put into it.

It seems like a mixed bag. The Team ICO games that were ported and The Last of Us were really in-depth ports that had a lot of care put into them. Then you had the Silent Hill ports and...welp. Even though I own the GOTY editions for Asylum and City on PS3 and have played each game like 5 times, I'm sure I'll pick this up as well because I'm a sucker for a game I love with a few noticeable improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Veotax posted:

Maybe I'm just a cynical rear end, but most of these collections and ports are mostly the same game with no changes running on the new system.

I'm just surprised that this seems to have some effort put into it.

No I would agree with you. Most don't. Most are just 1080p60 high def with all DLC added. TLOU was fantastic though as a remake. But it also may have been a test bed for Uncharted 4 and how far they can push things with the PS4. With that said I have both GOTY editions on PC from a Steamsale - so unless they really make use of a new engine that I cannot get on my PC, there is no point in me buying this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Utnayan posted:

No I would agree with you. Most don't. Most are just 1080p60 high def with all DLC added. TLOU was fantastic though as a remake. But it also may have been a test bed for Uncharted 4 and how far they can push things with the PS4. With that said I have both GOTY editions on PC from a Steamsale - so unless they really make use of a new engine that I cannot get on my PC, there is no point in me buying this.

Yeah same here- the originals still look pretty great on PC, as well, I played them last summer.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Veotax posted:

Return to Arkham trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWv07fouYvs

Is it me or do the graphics look updated? Like new textures and lighting?

The trailer isn't impressive, however the stills released look far better. Definite improvements in lighting & textures:

All indications are it's 30fps though, they likely would have stated 60fps if it was. We'll see with the Neo though.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I guess the lack of a PC version confirms that WB has indeed taken their ball and gone home on PC.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The trailer isn't impressive, however the stills released look far better. Definite improvements in lighting & textures:

All indications are it's 30fps though, they likely would have stated 60fps if it was. We'll see with the Neo though.

Borderlands HD was just 'the PC visuals on console', so I wasn't expecting much from this. But if what you're saying is true, then it's enough of a step up that I'll consider it :)

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Brutakas posted:

I guess the lack of a PC version confirms that WB has indeed taken their ball and gone home on PC.

There's no way they'd be able to sell it for over $30 regardless, they wouldn't want to undercut the console versions that much but I couldn't see it selling at all for above that on the PC even if the port was solid. Too bad, really used to them at 60fps now. The graphic upgrades aren't awe-inspiring but the material shaders + dof effects are definitely noticeable.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I wonder if they re-rendered the cutscenes with the new assets or if they're just going to make them realtime in the new versions.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's technically ported over to UE4, so that might mean other improvements like characters looking less UE3-y. Those screenshoots look like they just added AK's photo mode in though possibly?

But whatever I have all the games on PC and if WB wants to gently caress off on PC fine by me anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

redbackground posted:

Looking through the WB forum, but there are entirely too many people convinced that it means something else, the Joker birthday thing wasn't it, and are still looking for the whatever the TRUE MEANING is, even though RS has come out and said there are no more secrets shut up already.

Got a source from RS on the no secrets thing? I'd like some closure.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Got a source from RS on the no secrets thing? I'd like some closure.
Well, it was more specific than I remember:
https://twitter.com/seftonhill/status/644287925098819585

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I think that's also from before the map with the 4-25 was released or even in production.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I think that's also from before the map with the 4-25 was released or even in production.
Probably. Sorry! Beer's on me!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sober posted:

But whatever I have all the games on PC and if WB wants to gently caress off on PC fine by me anyway.

Is it definite that it's not coming to PC? Like, picked up the first 2 cheap enough in sales and whatnot on PC that i wouldn't be too upset about buying an upgraded version (if there were significant enough improvements to things that is.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Is it definite that it's not coming to PC?
I mean, it just shows two large XBox and PS4 logos at the end of that trailer. And it only shows PS4 and Xbox cases. No, there is no PC port.

edit:
Warner Bros. hired Virtuos, a Chinese-based studio, to oversee production for the remastered version.

If this is a straight graphics upgrade port, which is what it sounds like this company does all the time looking at their site, the PC versions aren't going to look that different. I'm really curious to see the final comparisons. I would imagine if there were any real playability updates/upgrades, they'd have been mentioned in the trailer.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 20, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Utnayan posted:

You'll often see them using higher res assets often from the pc version.

It's pretty rare to get an actual rework of content and texturing. Like gta5 got all new textures all over the place, not just scaled up ones.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

redbackground posted:

I mean, it just shows two large XBox and PS4 logos at the end of that trailer. And it only shows PS4 and Xbox cases. No, there is no PC port.

edit:
Warner Bros. hired Virtuos, a Chinese-based studio, to oversee production for the remastered version.

If this is a straight graphics upgrade port, which is what it sounds like this company does all the time looking at their site, the PC versions aren't going to look that different. I'm really curious to see the final comparisons. I would imagine if there were any real playability updates/upgrades, they'd have been mentioned in the trailer.

Normally I would agree but I think the engine switch is a good enough reason to have a PC version, it could result in better performance.

I wonder if rebuilding Arkham Knight in UE4 could potentially help in the PC version too. Seemed weird for such a recent game to use UE3.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
https://youtu.be/pEXmZUtzacU

Yo this remaster looks like garbage

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

How the gently caress did they manage to make nearly every change be for the worse?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm not convinced these aren't mislabeled.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He specifically said its correct and I just laughed. I was gonna give these a try too if they had tangible improvements. No way I'd pay full price for these regardless.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah gently caress this collection. WB continuing its proud tradition of farming out work as quickly and cheaply as possible. Pathetic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

batlol

edit: more like remas-turd edition!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 22, 2016

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Get rid of all the textures, they're overrated anyways!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Some things look better. Most things look WAY worse. That shot of Strange is incredibly bad and it seems they went backwards in time a few generations in regards to hair in general. Hugo Strange now has "old school Jeff Gordon" eyebrows.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Harley's new tattoo looks like someone taped a playing card to her arm

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exploding mummy posted:

Harley's new tattoo looks like someone taped a playing card to her arm

Heh, didn't notice that before. It has the shine of a temporary tattoo. Bless.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

redbackground posted:

batlol

edit: more like remas-turd edition!
The hair aside even if the engine is like "more realistic" with the lack of reflections in his glasses it kinda ruins the shot and the intent of the scene quite a bit. I think the same with Clayface, the shot in that video has "THE END" clearly projected on his body but the way it completely misses in the remastered is weird. This feels like when someone else goes back to remaster a movie and misses all the point of the framing of the shots and everything.

Other than AA Batman looking less weird beefcakey though it's not really a huge improvement overall.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What is even happening here? Even the light in the background looks worse, lens flare overuse aside.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just seems like a quick move to a new system and engine without doing any kind of optimization port.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It would be silly to use the shot in the trailer but it might not be fully finished yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kin posted:

It would be silly to use the shot in the trailer but it might not be fully finished yet.

Yeah games always end up looking better than they do in the trailers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

parts do, parts don't. ill still pick it up if it isnt glitchy. anyway 5:17-21 you can see they are adding thug model variety.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I actually really like the new Batman in Asylum. :shrug:

The rest is quite bad looking. D-:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The cutscenes look worse, but some of the gameplay sections look better to me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

thrawn527 posted:

The cutscenes look worse, but some of the gameplay sections look better to me.

Yes but notice the framerates of the "remaster" side in the video. They look horrendous compared to the original.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah, I may just keep my PS3 copies after all :v:

Minor quibble, but I liked the blueish appearance to the Batsuit in the originals so that seems like an odd thing to change.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

He's the dark knight drat it, he has to blend into the darkness

but how will the players see him?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So if you 100% the Riddler stuff, do you get to punch his lights out or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Seventh Arrow posted:

So if you 100% the Riddler stuff, do you get to punch his lights out or something?

You get a boss fight with Catwoman on your team. It also saves the riddles for a new game + play through.

• Locked thread