Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
The Community Manger for WB Games confirmed that all pre-order bonus DLC will be included in the Season Pass, including both the Harley Quinn and Red Hood story packs. That's somewhat surprising considering the Season Pass for Mortal Kombat X, another WB Game, didn't include the pre-order bonus. (Or some of the regular DLC for that matter)

Sounds like Season Pass owners will have it dolled out over time along with the rest of the content, while general audiences have to wait until August or September. I'm almost tempted to buy the Season Pass while it's discounted to $30, but I should probably play the game I got free with my new GPU before throwing down thirty bucks for additional content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Did other people not get the option to activate Knightfall before finishing all the sidequests? I still had two left when it gave me the option.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, that is intended. There's a half-ending and a full-ending.

What happens in the half ending? I waited until I had everything done to activate it. Does it just stop halfway through or is anything different?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Yeah, I think Knight is the weakest of the trilogy (better than Origins by a country mile though), but it was still a pretty good game and I will go back to replay it once the PC version's been patched. I really enjoyed the story and the way they told it for the most part, but the main campaign's combat and especially stealth encounters felt kind of lacking. I actually thought a lot of the side mission stuff was way better designed, even if they didn't have as much budget behind them. I'm looking forward to them adding challenge maps as part of the season pass so I can really sink my teeth into them and figure out more about the nuances of the changes they made to the combat and stealth.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

redbackground posted:

So I'm finishing up the Knightfall Protocol stuff and tackling the last Azrael thingy, but are Blackfire and Ryder supposed to be back on the island or is this a glitch, because Blackfire was sitting in prison when I just last saw him.

That's a glitch, there's no way to interact with them and if you go back to GCPD Blackfire will still be in the cell. Ryder won't be at GCPD though, which sucks because I wanted to hear his reactions to the ending.

I dunno if this is a glitch in all versions or just another problem with the PC port.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Well clearly the reason people liked the Arkham games wasn't the fantastic hand to hand combat that was stolen by every other game released after Arkham Asylum.

As much as I didn't really care for Origins, I wouldn't have minded RockSteady outsourcing some boss fights to WB Montreal. I didn't find any of the bosses in Origins great but it would still be way better than just Tank and Tank 2.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

ayn rand hand job posted:

You're forgetting Asylum's bosses.

Here's a Titan. Here's another Titan. Hey have 2 titans at once! Hope you like the Bane skinned Titan? No, have 3 titans! You liked the Poison Ivy fight? Good because here's your Joker fight...oh wait he's a titan.

I actually remember the Asylum bosses and was going to bring that up, but then remember that all of the bosses in City were decent at the bare minimum. None of them were amazing or anything but none of them were bad.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
To be fair all of the pre-order stuff at least was available to PC players who pre-ordered at launch, so it all exists on PC already but they still haven't released that stuff for season pass owners. They wouldn't have to actually do anything, they just need to flip a switch somewhere to make it available. And I doubt implementing any of the new skins takes that much work either, it's not like there's better textures or anything in the PC port as it currently exists.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

TheJoker138 posted:

Hopefully it comes out August 31st, right in time for me to never think about this game again because MGS 5 and Mad Max are both out. I'm sure happy I bought the season pass. Maybe I could still get a refund for it.

If you're upset WB didn't/doesn't give half a poo poo about Arkham Knight on PC buying another WB game is an odd way to show it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I got mine from Amazon and when I contacted them they said they couldn't give me an MGSV code but offered a 30% refund on my card. That worked out to around $100 so I was pretty happy to take that "compromise".

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Saint Freak posted:

And 9 was pretty hosed too since nothing was on disc/no compatibility downloads were made mandatory so there was like a month of no matchmaking working (and then a month of psn being down).
To be fair PSN going down wasn't their fault. The 360 exclusive feature of "working online in the first month of release" was so much cooler than having Kratos.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Dogen posted:

Where does it say the PC is getting DLC?

I would like to know this too, it doesn't say anything about the PC in that description or in that video.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think they were talking about this joke post.

I thought it was pretty funny when he posted it, but multiple people thinking it's real has made it even funnier.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Yeah, it's loving ridiculous how broken this game is. I'm able to get a steady 30 fps with everything including the Nvidia stuff maxed, but I have to set the in-game FPS to 60 and then use the Nivida Control Panel to do half-refresh rate V-sync. Using the in-game 30 fps limit gets me pretty nasty stuttering.

Also despite taking like a month to only work on implementing DLC none of the DLC achievements work aside from the Batgirl ones.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

CuwiKhons posted:

I think that's exactly his point. All the other boss fights take place in the Batmobile. You never really get to go mano a mano with any of the rogues. Except, ironically, Riddler in his robo suit.

I cannot get over this. You rematch Deathstroke in a loving tank battle, but get in a fist fight with The Riddler?! How the gently caress did that happen.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Holy poo poo is that Nightwing Predator map ridiculous. It's set in the GCPD building again and you have to get through seventeen guys, leaving the detective mode jammer for last, take down at least five using ledge takedowns, and avoid any of the glass breaking, which the map is loving full of. I eventually managed to get it with a time of like nine and a half minutes but it took at least an hour and one crash to get through.

I'm also really not happy about them bringing back Catwoman's caltrops as a predator requirement, I still have no loving clue how to consistently trip guys with them outside of combat.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Asylum was structurally/pacing-wise the tightest, City has the best content, Origins has the best story and also super underrated multiplayer. Knight has the best fighting/stealth mechanics I guess but not enough to overtake City as King of Arkham. Overall I'd rate them City > Asylum > Knight > Origins.

I think City has the best campaign even though the story is kind of a clusterfuck because the side-missions largely weren't repetitive, instead you got smaller stories focusing on the lesser villains who would never factor into the main plot. It also has the best challenge mode even now that (basically) all of the DLC for Knight is out. Each character's combat maps actually utilized every enemy type Batman fought, unlike Knight where most of the later game enemies are just removed because they couldn't be bothered to add ways for the characters to deal with them, and the stealth maps all had unique challenges unlike Knight where every character aside from the one the map was originally designed for has one or two shared objectives.

Asylum is paced basically perfectly and nails the Metroidvania aspect better due to the much smaller hub world of Arkham Island. The combat and stealth are kind of simple to go back to now though which is a big part of the reason I prefer City. If there was some kind of mod to play Asylum with City's combat and stealth it would be the perfect Batman game.

Knight is just a worse version of City in every way. The campaign isn't as interesting, side quests aren't as good, all of the Batmobile stuff ranges from boring to terrible and it feels like it takes up half the game. The new mechanics are cool but not as big of a leap as the leap from Asylum to City that I can't go back. I really feel no need to ever replay this game unless I decide I absolutely need to unlock that new golden batsuit by doing New Game Plus. Which I probably will because my free time has no value.

Origins is a lovely expansion pack by a team that doesn't understand anything about what made the Arkham games good. New gadgets? How about a gun that shoots ropes, so you can just inverted takedown two or three enemies for free from the other side of the room with no consequence or risk? Combat changes? What if we added a generic devil trigger type meter that just makes you completely ignore enemy weapons and armor, turning the game into mindless button mashing to kill everyone like people always accuse the Arkham games of being? Rocksteady made traversing Arkham City really fun by letting you grapple basically anything so you could launch yourself from building to building and quickly glide through the city, so how about we just make half the buildings not grapple-able so that you're just brought to a sudden halt and have to find somewhere else you can launch from? Also model a giant loving bridge with nothing on it put it right in the middle of the map so players are forced to cross it a million times. Freely selectable upgrades so you can just focus on what you care about and ignore the batmobile stuff health upgrades? gently caress THAT, SKILL TREES BITCH. ALSO LOCK THE CRITICAL STRIKE UPGRADE BEHIND A SIDE QUEST THAT'S LIKE 75% OF THE WAY THROUGH THE GAME.

I know it's personal opinion and all but I cannot understand anyone who prefers Origins to the Rocksteady games or even just thinks it's comparable. Everything they changed or added sucked, and even the parts that were literally just Arkham City again were somehow worse. I don't know what they did to the combat but it doesn't feel as responsive as City even though it's so obviously just built upon that engine/framework. That all being said I really enjoyed the story in Origins, I liked that they actually tried to delve into Batman's character outside of "Can he save everyone?!" and "Man Batman sure refuses to kill people huh." They also figured out how to fit a bunch of villains into the story in a much more organic way than City where villains enter and exit the story kind of randomly. I just wish the part where you actually play the video game matched that quality.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Season of Infamy spoiler relating to Mr Freeze's mission

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Ba.../966764#U966764

So like it sounds like this might be a problem, Freeze was the second mission I did and from there on the game stayed snowing. I had already beaten the game and gotten Knightfall so it didn't bother me at the time but I can see where people are saying it, as much as I am tired about it, it doesn't look as good as the rain. How was your experience with this?

Also when exactly can you do the Season of Infamy dlc? It looks kind of challenging for a first time playthrough but I think it could incorporate it's self midway through a normal play session. Or do you have to wait for the postgame section?

I've heard this has made a bunch of people's game on the PC stop stuttering so I wonder if it was intentional.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

SonicRulez posted:

Excuse the hypocrisy, but I had to say that I agree with all of this more or less. I forgot Origins' multiplayer. It was actually REALLY fun. The problem I had on PS3 was that matchmaking, especially when the game first came out and I cared to play it, sucked. I remember just leaving the thing going for a half hour and never getting a game. Months later, after CCH came out and they'd done more patches I got to play more matches. I like the multiplayer more than the campaign honestly. I was sad to see it go. It was simplistic, so it was easy to pick up, but also pretty fun. All 4 gameplay types felt unique too, which was interesting to me, cause looking at Origins it wouldn't have surprised me if Bane Gang and Joker Gang just differed in costume. But no, Joker is different from Bane and even Batman is different from Robin. Good stuff that they did nothing with sadly.

It really bummed me out to see so many people dismiss it out of hand just because "Batman doesn't need multiplayer". The asynchronous nature of the multiplayer made it really fun, that most of the people in a match were playing a third person shooter while the players playing Batman and Robin were playing a goddamn Arkham game. Pulling off an awesome takedown feels so different when there's another person on the receiving end rather than an AI, and the developers did some smart things to adapt the predator mechanics to a multiplayer setting. Tons of fun memories both of pulling off awesome takedowns and being surprised by having them done to me seemingly out of nowhere. I had this one really awesome moment in the mode where everyone has one life where both gangs went to this spot in the center of the map, and I managed to take out five of the six at once with three explosive gels I'd placed there ahead of time, and then spent the rest of the match just slowly hunting down this last guy waiting for an opening. It made me feel more like Batman than any single player moment ever has.

I'm pretty sure I spent more time with the multiplayer than I did the single player in Origins, and would have loved to see what Rocksteady would have done with those concepts or if Splash Damage were brought back a second time to polish and expand upon the multiplayer, rather than just ignoring the mode entirely for Knight.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

l33t b4c0n posted:

They added two as far as I remember. One with Batman/Robin and one with Batman/Nightwing.

There's at least one more than that because I definitely remember a Robin/Nightwing one.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
There's been a ton of skin mods on PC but it's mainly swapping with ones already in the game, playing as Alfred and stuff like that. There's also mods to play as the other unique playable characters in the campaign but those are all I've heard about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
https://youtu.be/pEXmZUtzacU

Yo this remaster looks like garbage

• Locked thread