Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bushmaori posted:

Please don't feel the need to use unmarked spoilers in here, though I know you guys won't because you're all cool, like me.

I have a question about a Premium Edition AK game I bought on NZGameshop a little while back, it's probably relevant to other online cheap steam selling guys. I've already done all my ordering and paying and whatnot and the site says: "Awaiting game release" before I'll get my key. My question is does this mean I won't be able to do a preload since I wont get my key until the actual release, or do they give the key out at preload time to take account for this or what? Also torrent sites usually have the steampreload of certain games up before the game releases, could I copy one of these into my proper steam folder and have that work as a preload or not?

Basically I'm so super excited and I can't wait.

When they deliver their codes vary - I've had them be late before, I'm afraid, so we may indeed not get to pre-load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Always watching, ever vigilant.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't really know what you're getting at but that woman was the chillest female games journo I've ever seen.

Top left of the image.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bushmaori posted:

Please don't feel the need to use unmarked spoilers in here, though I know you guys won't because you're all cool, like me.

I have a question about a Premium Edition AK game I bought on NZGameshop a little while back, it's probably relevant to other online cheap steam selling guys. I've already done all my ordering and paying and whatnot and the site says: "Awaiting game release" before I'll get my key. My question is does this mean I won't be able to do a preload since I wont get my key until the actual release, or do they give the key out at preload time to take account for this or what? Also torrent sites usually have the steampreload of certain games up before the game releases, could I copy one of these into my proper steam folder and have that work as a preload or not?

Basically I'm so super excited and I can't wait.

BreakAtmo posted:

When they deliver their codes vary - I've had them be late before, I'm afraid, so we may indeed not get to pre-load.

Spoke too soon - my game and SP codes just appeared in my email.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

Personally I probably won't bother to obsess over every single Riddler thing because I am sick to loving death of it, though.

Heh... I was actually just reading that the really-totally-final ending is locked behind 100% completion, including getting all of the Riddler stuff.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bushmaori posted:

Did you use the NZGameshop as well? Mine says dispatched but I don't have a key in my email so I hope they're not doing anything dumb like snailmailing me a cdkey...

Also thanks for all the help, fella.

Technically I used OZGameshop, but it's all the same company from what I understand - both sites are merely mirrors of the U.K. original, 365games.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

iGestalt posted:

Admittedly, Witcher 3 which was one of the biggest games I've ever played was only 21~ Gigabytes. Compression and good asset use is a thing, but I suspect some developers don't/can't be bothered?

The biggest offender is usually large video files more than anything else. inFamous Second Son is gorgeous and detailed, but it's only 24GB because only 4 of its cutscenes are pre-rendered videos. Witcher 3 is the same - outside of the gameplay it's all art slides and real-time cutscenes. Big games are usually big because their cutscenes are prerendered - TLOUR, Wolfenstein, etc. GTAV is the only exception I can think of - it's all real-time but is like 55GB because... well... GTA. Shadow of Mordor also has video cutscenes, although I believe it's still about 35-37GB without them. Sometimes it's bad use of compression and stuff, but generally I think games will shrink in size overall if more devs go with real-time.

Does anyone know if Arkham Knight uses pre-rendered cutscenes?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

iGestalt posted:

I don't think it does. Someone mentioned all of them being in-engine now, so your outfit choices will show up.

Hmm, that's interesting. I guess it may actually be sheer weight of assets. Good to hear about skins appearing in cutscenes though. Honestly I think an Asylum/City/Origins remastered collection would be best if they actually went to the effort of making all the cutscenes real-time to allow for that - the Arkham games have so many goddamned skins.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's got a ridiculous amount of audio (including a 400+ song soundtrack.) Sound can take up a lot of space. I think a bunch of Mordor's space is similar.

Of course, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

redbackground posted:

I mean, it just shows two large XBox and PS4 logos at the end of that trailer. And it only shows PS4 and Xbox cases. No, there is no PC port.

edit:
Warner Bros. hired Virtuos, a Chinese-based studio, to oversee production for the remastered version.

If this is a straight graphics upgrade port, which is what it sounds like this company does all the time looking at their site, the PC versions aren't going to look that different. I'm really curious to see the final comparisons. I would imagine if there were any real playability updates/upgrades, they'd have been mentioned in the trailer.

Normally I would agree but I think the engine switch is a good enough reason to have a PC version, it could result in better performance.

I wonder if rebuilding Arkham Knight in UE4 could potentially help in the PC version too. Seemed weird for such a recent game to use UE3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apprently all the cutscenes in the old game were all prerendered cutscenes. the remaster is all in game. so they had to make all the cutscenes in game from scratch. it explains to me sorta why some look worse.

That's actually really impressive, I didn't expect that to ever happen with a remaster. Even Naughty Dog's Uncharted and TLOU remasters didn't go that far despite going above and beyond in everything else, they just re-rendered them all.

Even with some of the bad design choices the idea of playing the Arkham games without cutscenes full of artifacting sounds nice.

• Locked thread