Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

JetsGuy posted:

But I agree, the real hayday of Madden was the PS2 era. I don't have interest in MUT, I just wanna play a few years worth of a dynasty here and there. I don't want to have to play practice just so my guys can get the XP to level up. Christ. The PS3 brought online for every game which while good in many cases, also brought about the doom of old wonderful play modes. MUT came with PS3, and I know a lot of y'all love UT modes, but I really wish EA didn't ignore Franchise/Dynasty poo poo. I understand exactly why they do it - MUT makes them money perpetually - it makes sense to focus on that. It just is frustrating that not only is dynasty mode ignored, they made it some RPG poo poo.

I *do* like being able to improve players where I want to improve them though so it's not a cut and dried thing.
Then you'll be happy to know a shitload of work went into franchise this year. A lot of the mode was re-written on the UI side to make things not such a loving bother, they also tweaked a bunch of things on the backend. I had to boot up 15 to double-check a bug in franchise recently and jesus christ was I saddened at having to trudge through all the fuckin menus just to start a new franchise. That poo poo is all in the past now and then once you've started your team it's nowhere near as bad to do some of the normal things you would do week to week.

So don't worry about franchise not getting touched, there's a dedicated group of people working on fixing a lot of the crap that's wrong with it and this year was the 1st pass at it and it's insanely better than it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

real_scud posted:

Then you'll be happy to know a shitload of work went into franchise this year. A lot of the mode was re-written on the UI side to make things not such a loving bother, they also tweaked a bunch of things on the backend. I had to boot up 15 to double-check a bug in franchise recently and jesus christ was I saddened at having to trudge through all the fuckin menus just to start a new franchise. That poo poo is all in the past now and then once you've started your team it's nowhere near as bad to do some of the normal things you would do week to week.

So don't worry about franchise not getting touched, there's a dedicated group of people working on fixing a lot of the crap that's wrong with it and this year was the 1st pass at it and it's insanely better than it was.

But does franchise mode have the look?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Are menus still embarrassingly laggy?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bloody posted:

Yeah that's another thing that really irked me. It felt like the game was hanging every time I switched to one of the (many, many) menus just to do something.

Also today I managed to beat the Titans 70-3. Nick Foles threw for 8 TDs while the Titans defenders fell down all over the place and Zach Mettenberg Charlie Whitehurst went 13/35 for 120 yards and 2 INTs. They also only had 2 rushing yards. Yes, 2.

I uh, think I adjusted the sliders too far. :stare:

Anyone know of any sliders that give you results somewhat approaching what you'd actually see in a football game?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

real_scud posted:

Awesome man, thanks for the inside scoop so to speak. :)

I also unlike last year have a PS4 and that will also make a world of difference.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Bloody posted:

For lag would it differ if the game was on disc or a download?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

This will be the greatest Madden ever since it has ODB on the cover. The game could just be a video showing him taking a poo poo on three $20 bills and it would still be better than anything put out since the PS2 days.

The only way to make a better game now is to get Eli on the cover.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Tank44 posted:

For lag would it differ if the game was on disc or a download?

it doesnt matter. for the last few years the menus have been laggy as poo poo and the longer of a play session you have, the worse it gets until the memory leak eventually crashes it. It was exponentially better on PS4 than PS3, but eventually it will crash the PS4 too.

Also there were certain menu operations you could do that would guarantee a crash. Ending a MUT auction early on PS4 is an assured crash.

Gameplay itself is fun, but man that menu lag. If they could it like MLB the Show menus, then :fap:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

jabro posted:

This will be the greatest Madden ever

I hope so

Edit: top 5 tightend ratings are out. There seems to be a bias for receiving tightends

Metapod fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 24, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

jabro posted:

The only way to make a better game now is to get Eli on the cover.

Put Tom Terrific on the cover with him signing over memorabilia to those Dorito Dinks that tampered with footballs.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Call me a shameless homer (and I am) but ODB got jobbed by the ratings department!

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2015/madden-16-best-wide-receivers?sf39603584=1

Slagwag
Oct 27, 2010

"I am not a nugget!"
Buying the game as usual, can't help it each year. Though I stuck it out with a PS4 - but wondering if there is any good reason to jump ship and get an Xbone with this.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Slagwag posted:

Buying the game as usual, can't help it each year. Though I stuck it out with a PS4 - but wondering if there is any good reason to jump ship and get an Xbone with this.

no. like, there's absolutely no reason to do this unless you play with a bunch of friends who have a bone

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'm actually considering doing the reverse- 15 was kind of unstable on the bone. Is it better on the PS4 or is it just that the game itself is unstable?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm actually considering doing the reverse- 15 was kind of unstable on the bone. Is it better on the PS4 or is it just that the game itself is unstable?

I can't comment on being more or less unstable since I haven't played the xbone version but I don't remember any stability issues with the PS4 version.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
the only crash problem i saw on way too many hours of this game on ps4 was crashing in mut taking auctions down, but that was it. Smooth otherwise.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I call bullshit on kern not being a top 5 overall punter

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I picked up Madden 15 in the PSN sale for poo poo cheap and as it's my first Madden in at least 10 years, I'm kinda poo poo.

When doing the tutorial, which team should I choose as the opponent in order to have the best chance of getting Gold in each level?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Cowboys probably have the best QB/WR/HB combo with the more up to date rosters.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

quote:

The Madden NFL 16 soundtrack features more than 30 tracks from artists you already know and love, including The Weeknd, Yelawolf, Lee Brice, twenty one pilots, James Bay, Blackberry Smoke, and Sigma. The mix also includes brand new music from John Newman, Don Broco, Robert DeLong, Fashon, and Rag‘n’Bone Man.

Exclusive! Madden NFL 16 is also your first opportunity to hear new tracks from Brooke Candy, Jimi Charles Moody and LunchMoney Lewis. Hear their new songs first in Madden NFL 16 before they’re available anywhere else!

I'm so old I have no idea who any of these people/bands are.

Here's the playlist? https://play.spotify.com/user/maddennfl_easports/playlist/0T22esVKW7cTZEN7XzXV14

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Who the gently caress are any of those bands

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Being old is not why you don't know those bands it's because ea decided to put every band in a hat and that is what they pulled

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Ok, so like every EA game since like MVP 05 I'm going to just turn off most if not all the music. So be it.

I loved how in Madden 10 there was a whole bunch of Sam Spence and other NFL Film greats in the track list. I just put the track list on the NFL films music and that was awesome.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

JetsGuy posted:

Ok, so like every EA game since like MVP 05 I'm going to just turn off most if not all the music. So be it.

I loved how in Madden 10 there was a whole bunch of Sam Spence and other NFL Film greats in the track list. I just put the track list on the NFL films music and that was awesome.

https://play.spotify.com/user/1215163931/playlist/3jZCOcwfQq4pPKfyVqrCCP

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

:allears:

Years ago, SaxMaverick recommended this to me. I have it burred somewhere in a moving box, I should find it.
http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Thunder-Years-Films-Music/dp/B0002VERQA

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

JetsGuy posted:

Don't worry they're not all completely gone, they're just not enabled by default but if you open up EA Trax you can re-enable them.

Also some of the songs were selected from people within the team so they're not all completely random.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
EA Trax is a vehicle to build popularity for new artists. They get a few "whale songs" like avenged sevenfold and crazy train and stuff and then they sandwich that with stuff they want to gain exposure. That's how they've always done it. Except that one year where it was all major songs and it was a little jarring.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2015/madden-16-afc-south-player-ratings

quote:

new arrival Dexter McCluster (73 OVR)

Cmon ea get your poo poo together and look up when people join new teams

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

real_scud posted:

Don't worry they're not all completely gone, they're just not enabled by default but if you open up EA Trax you can re-enable them.

Also some of the songs were selected from people within the team so they're not all completely random.

I mean, I realize that I'm in the vast minority and probably not the target audience of Madden anyway. :v: So I didn't mean it as a criticism so much as a just statement of "yeah, I always turn most of it off". In NCAA, I had it on fight songs only, in the show, I just used my own MP3 library, in Madden, I use the NFL Films music (because it says "footbaw" to me). On a related note, I wish PS4 would be able to play MP3s so that all games could just allow custom playlists.

Thanks again for addressing something though! :)

EDIT:
Also, real_scud, I was on the fence about Madden16, but you've convinced me to get it. I stopped really buying these games every year a long time ago, and it certainly helps that I was using PS3 last year (which made some issues even worse), but imma gonna give it a go.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 6, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So there's a league I can play in with goons if I buy this? Because I haven't bought a Madden in 4 years, but I'm awfully tempted.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Yes. Last year we had like 3. That may be too many.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

davecrazy posted:

Yes. Last year we had like 3. That may be too many.

I liked that I had the Seahawks in the 360 league for like 4 years since I took them over when they were bad. The 360 league barely survived any duration last year. Hoping to get into a xbone league this year.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

JetsGuy posted:

I mean, I realize that I'm in the vast minority and probably not the target audience of Madden anyway. :v: So I didn't mean it as a criticism so much as a just statement of "yeah, I always turn most of it off". In NCAA, I had it on fight songs only, in the show, I just used my own MP3 library, in Madden, I use the NFL Films music (because it says "footbaw" to me). On a related note, I wish PS4 would be able to play MP3s so that all games could just allow custom playlists.

Thanks again for addressing something though! :)

EDIT:
Also, real_scud, I was on the fence about Madden16, but you've convinced me to get it. I stopped really buying these games every year a long time ago, and it certainly helps that I was using PS3 last year (which made some issues even worse), but imma gonna give it a go.
Believe me I turn all the music off in every EA Sports games so I'm not exactly the target either but I was just in a meeting about this today and brought up that some people will turn it off, some will love it and I'm sure some will hate it because it doesn't have their genre of music. I honestly can't even remember what all is in it this year because I never play with music on but there's a pretty decent mix of genres this year so it's going to be interesting what people think.

Also not allowing the custom soundtracks is kind of a good thing because goddamn was it a mess to support. You can however simply use the Spotify integration on the PS4 to play whatever the hell you want and not hear any of the sounds from Madden, which is what I usually do.

Thanks for picking it up but really I totally understand people who don't want to buy a yearly title, it's kinda expensive and really the only people who do it every year are the ones who really love the series and have to play with their buddies.

So I'm not trying to blow smoke up people's asses and say we made a huge leap in improvement, we iterated on a bunch of small things and I think they make some decent changes. The franchise stuff is so nice if you do that mode a lot, I don't do it a ton but just going through some minor things I found it so much more fuckin useful than it was in previous years. The new catching mechanic stuff is nice to finally be able to catch and run up field instead of being forced to go out of bounds simply because that's the direction a canned animation took you.

I don't play enough to know the ins and outs of how everything feels in minute details but it is still fun, plus I like to give information where I can without getting into trouble.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I got dibs on the Eagles in the Xbone league

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to preorder this and get some value for your old disc:

Best Buy Game club members get this.

Madden 16 with 20% off GCU discount = $47.99
$20 trade in + 10% GCU trade bonus = - $22.00
Madden 16 $10 Best Buy coupon = - $10.00
Best Buy $10 Pre-order rewards = - $10.00
Net cost: $5.99 + tax*

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
If I play Owner's Franchise as the Bucs this year am I going to lose every player I have to free agency after the first season like in last years version? It was messed up that I could not even get close to in the black and so couldn't afford to resign anyone.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

quote:

New York Giants – 77 Overall

Head coach Tom Coughlin is back for another go-around in the Big Apple. Can he take the Giants back to the postseason? QB Eli Manning (87 OVR) will look for big years out of both WRs Odell Beckham Jr. (94 OVR) and Victor Cruz (84 OVR). First-round pick Ereck Flowers (76 OVR) gets a chance to shine on Manning’s blind side. HB Rashad Jennings (80 OVR) shares the backfield with the Super Bowl hero Shane Vereen (81 OVR), as well as second-year back Andre Williams (73 OVR).

Rookie SS Landon Collins (74 OVR) joins an excellent secondary with CBs Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (88 OVR) and Prince Amakamura (86 OVR). RE Jason Pierre-Paul (89 OVR) has had an eventful offseason, but can be a force when healthy.

lol

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Less fingers means less the o-line has to grab onto.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.muthead.com/16/players

Stay strong self, find another hobby...

Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant both top out at 89 OVR, going to be another year of super slow player inflation.

http://www.muthead.com/16/players/reveal/JVPCv :getin:

e: http://www.muthead.com/16/players/reveal/fVXIae

Confirmed legends in MUT so far:

Joe Horn
Christian Okoye
John Elway
John Randle
Shannon Sharpe
Terrell Davis
Derrick Brooks
Walter Jones
Dermontti Dawson

Joe Horn?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

davecrazy posted:

http://www.muthead.com/16/players

Stay strong self, find another hobby...

Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant both top out at 89 OVR, going to be another year of super slow player inflation.

http://www.muthead.com/16/players/reveal/JVPCv :getin:

e: http://www.muthead.com/16/players/reveal/fVXIae

Confirmed legends in MUT so far:

Joe Horn

Christian Okoye
John Elway
John Randle
Shannon Sharpe
Terrell Davis
Derrick Brooks
Walter Jones
Dermontti Dawson

Joe Horn?

Get the gently caress in. I hope Derrick Mason is in the game.

Titans are officially the lowest rated team at 72

• Locked thread