Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
that's not a bad idea, actually. Since I don't need anything I can just do that.

I only have like 4 captains left to do before I have all 32 completed, and I suppose i can spend a little bit to finish dual styles off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

It's weird that draft picks always have real Player last names but then they're never used in commentary like the line for the name is already recorded so just use it

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I did the All-Madden ultimate legend Terrell Suggs game last night. I picked off Joe Flacco 9 times :getin:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I just encountered the strangest bug in a solo. Jameis Winston was lined uo to spike the ball after a 1st down conversion. The center snapped the ball, and Winston stayed in the presnap animation for a moment before just stepping back like he actually spiked the ball. Only he still had the ball and the play was live, and I sacked him.

:wtc:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Ah, the fake spike run to perfection

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
These Madden Championships are pretty bad holy poo poo. One guy is running nothing but fullback dives and inside zones.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Competitive Madden is a joke and really exposes how flawed the base game is.

If EA really wants to make Madden a legit E-sport then they really need to make some fundamental changes to the game, especially with the o-line/d-line interactions.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Madden can't be an ESport in it's current form.

Name one other successful esports game where
1)It's a 1v1 head to head competition
2)Certain aspects are completely luck-based (O-line/D-Line interactions, picks, aggressive catches, fumbles, etc)
3)There is no customizability at all- 32 stock teams with no viable upgrades and no progression as the game goes on
4)At any given moment most of a player's team is controlled by a computer that can randomly make horrible decisions for no reason other than a dice roll.
5)There is a clear hierarchy of quality between teams that makes only 7-8 actually viable.

None of these things make for interesting competition. There are big possible changes that could make it work, but generally Madden is a terrible option if you're looking for the coveted e-sports audience.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
People like watching football. People would like watching video football.

What I want to see out of a video football game is sick stick work, the meta "chess game" being played out, and people generally playing the game at a higher level then I can possibly achieve.

What "pro" Madden is now a two guys who have an above average ability to see the field and make good reads, above average ability to pull off sick spin and juke moves, and an encyclopedic understanding of the AI and how to glitch it. I watched one game today where the guy was down by 4 on his opponents 12 yard line and he ran the SAME motion glitch audible route 4 times in a row. It wasn't interesting or fun, and it didn't show any understanding of what his opponent was doing on defense and an attempt to counter it, it was just the same glitch play over and over. The guy playing defense was able to user his dude into the spot and break up the pass, but alls the offensive guy needed was one good dice roll on the agressive catch and he would of scored. That's 90% of pro Madden and its totally uninteresting to watch. Two guys trying to out glitch each other.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 12, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
There was a show on ESPN of people playing madden. If they actually made the game technically sound it would thrive in eSports

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Speaking of madden as an esport, I wish they would go back to having region local tournaments for the madden challenge instead of whatever online thing they do now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Dubious posted:

I just encountered the strangest bug in a solo. Jameis Winston was lined uo to spike the ball after a 1st down conversion. The center snapped the ball, and Winston stayed in the presnap animation for a moment before just stepping back like he actually spiked the ball. Only he still had the ball and the play was live, and I sacked him.

:wtc:

My favorite are the bugs where you can trick the game into working normally with bad position/play logic. In older Maddens you can use supersim to trick the teams into sending out the wrong units on the field, so you'll get your QB linig up at defensive end while the other team's strong safety tries to complete a pass.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Lol "watching esports" just lol

Madden (and football as a whole to a lesser degree) is intrinsically unbalanced and EA doesn't care about some imaginary balance that cant be achieved, unless you can make 11v11 player madden happen. They care about :signings:

If you want to watch/play competitive games of madden without seeing dumb poo poo, let me point you to the SASFL/BIZARRO threads downpage.

hth, cuckservative

E:

zimbomonkey posted:

Madden can't be an ESport in it's current form.

Name one other successful esports game where
1)It's a 1v1 head to head competition

2)Certain aspects are completely luck-based (O-line/D-Line interactions, picks, aggressive catches, fumbles, etc)
3)There is no customizability at all- 32 stock teams with no viable upgrades and no progression as the game goes on
4)At any given moment most of a player's team is controlled by a computer that can randomly make horrible decisions for no reason other than a dice roll.

5)There is a clear hierarchy of quality between teams that makes only 7-8 actually viable.

None of these things make for interesting competition. There are big possible changes that could make it work, but generally Madden is a terrible option if you're looking for the coveted e-sports audience.

Bolded for emphasis

tl;dr - esports lol; madden is literally football d&d morrowind mario party with hidden dice rolls

Oberst fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 12, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oberst posted:

madden is literally football d&d morrowind mario party with hidden dice rolls

so it's football

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Volkerball posted:

so it's football

That's why it owns, and that's why it'll never be a "balanced competitive esport" like star craft and street fighter, or whatever trash Games plays nowadays

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/12/11912838/madden-nfl-17-franchise-improvements-upgrades-features

A lot of the CFM features got announced and put up into a new posting on Polygon. I worked on a few of these features and obviously know a bit about them so you can ask some questions

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

real_scud posted:

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/12/11912838/madden-nfl-17-franchise-improvements-upgrades-features

A lot of the CFM features got announced and put up into a new posting on Polygon. I worked on a few of these features and obviously know a bit about them so you can ask some questions

Great, new thread coming up later tonight!

E: when the actual blog post goes life SYKE

E2: scud, an actual question, if you can tip your hand or not - Do we have custom scheduling in yet? That would make online leagues so much more longer lasting. Having a season with 2 user games is the worst.

Dubious fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 13, 2016

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Dubious posted:

E2: scud, an actual question, if you can tip your hand or not - Do we have custom scheduling in yet? That would make online leagues so much more longer lasting. Having a season with 2 user games is the worst.
Like what kind of custom scheduling? Guess since I don't do online CFM I don't really know how that could be a problem.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

real_scud posted:

Like what kind of custom scheduling? Guess since I don't do online CFM I don't really know how that could be a problem.

In NCAA 14, the commish could set the schedule before the season started, to ensure users got in meaningful matchups against other users, instead of a roll of the dice from the RNG deciding the schedules. Similarly, conference realignment would serve the same purpose.

Our goon leagues keep going from perseverance, but the ability to set schedules would keep people interested a lot longer.

E: for importance

Dubious fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 13, 2016

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Dubious posted:

In NCAA 14, the commish could set the schedule before the season started, to ensure users got in meaningful matchups against other users, instead of a roll of the dice from the RNG deciding the schedules. Similarly, conference realignment would serve the same purpose.

Our goon leagues keep going from perseverance, but the ability to set schedules would keep people interested a lot longer.

E: for importance
That I have no idea if it's in or not, I can try taking a look tomorrow.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

real_scud posted:

Being able to edit players is great. The rest I could take or leave.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i like the idea of being able to play every game with the moments mechanic thing without making it take 3 weeks to get all the way through each season. skeptical about the gameplan though. looks like it's more repetitive drills. so i think if you were trying to make use of everything available to make your team good, you'd have 17 gameplan drill sessions and 17 sessions for training players each season? seasons will take several hours each if that's the case.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Glad to see practice squads are in

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
A 10 man practice squad is pretty big. Still hate that we somehow still don't have formation subs.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

This isn't all, right? Just focused more on the gameplay aspects? Because I still see nothing about renegotiating contracts.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

If I have to run one more stick passing concept drill for my qb player league to get optimal xp I will gouge my loving eyes out

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
BRING BACK THE THROW THE BALL THROUGH THE RINGS DRILL

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

All presentations are skippable in all modes. Preordered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/status/742173647616380928

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 13, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Metapod posted:

BRING BACK THE THROW THE BALL THROUGH THE RINGS DRILL

I do hope drills are more fun if the whole concept of the "build your plan to counter your opponent trends" thing revolves around it. I dig the idea but there needs to be a spruced up drill system with it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Volkerball posted:

i like the idea of being able to play every game with the moments mechanic thing without making it take 3 weeks to get all the way through each season. skeptical about the gameplan though. looks like it's more repetitive drills. so i think if you were trying to make use of everything available to make your team good, you'd have 17 gameplan drill sessions and 17 sessions for training players each season? seasons will take several hours each if that's the case.
No basically each week you can choose one gameplan to train on for offense and one for defense. You can either play them yourself and try to get the biggest gain, or you can sim them and get an average gain.

zimbomonkey posted:

This isn't all, right? Just focused more on the gameplay aspects? Because I still see nothing about renegotiating contracts.
That's included in the Big Decisions stuff, so there is a vastly different contract negotiating process.

davecrazy posted:

All presentations are skippable in all modes. Preordered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/status/742173647616380928
Not going to lie it was the thing that made me happiest too. Really I would've preferred we put in a setting like we had in Tiger for simply turning off all presentation or not, but this is better than nothing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

real_scud posted:

No basically each week you can choose one gameplan to train on for offense and one for defense. You can either play them yourself and try to get the biggest gain, or you can sim them and get an average gain.

My first strategy will probably be to sim through gameplans and only play them for important games I really want to win.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

There's a ton of really interesting stuff here.

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2016/madden-17-franchise-big-decisions-and-community

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Each player’s development trait is the biggest defining factor in how he develops. Players with a Superstar trait will stay in the league longer and develop into the top tier talent, while players with the Slow trait will not make it in the league long.

Bold claim.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The fact that it's dynamic and that by feeding my favorite UDFA the ball I can actually make him BETTER now, unlike in 16 where players were basically fixed, even with boosted XP sliders is my favorite part. The total nerfing of player development is one of the reasons I lost interest in the good leagues so quickly this year (that and my MUT overload and lovely work schedule)

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

real_scud posted:

That's included in the Big Decisions stuff, so there is a vastly different contract negotiating process.

That's all I wanted. Consider me optimistic.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

davecrazy posted:

The fact that it's dynamic and that by feeding my favorite UDFA the ball I can actually make him BETTER now, unlike in 16 where players were basically fixed, even with boosted XP sliders is my favorite part. The total nerfing of player development is one of the reasons I lost interest in the good leagues so quickly this year (that and my MUT overload and lovely work schedule)

:argh: Your Giants team was just fine.

real_scud do you know if they fixed the draft at all? It seems like there are always some game breaking 5th round talent (QB/WR) in the current game and I've seen people in other leagues moving those players to different skill positions (running back/corner) to get more speed on the field.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The Big Moments thing is actually something I think I'll use. A few years ago I wouldn't have considered not playing every game but it'll be nice to be able to actually get through a few seasons with less time devoted to Madden.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

quote:

When your players are on the last year of their contract, you can now re-sign them using a more intuitive menu.

Nope you hosed up.

The point was that without the ability to extend contracts before the last year you had scenarios where you get stuck with a choice of whether to cut a superstar player before the last season of his contract or pay him obscene money at the cost of the rest of your team. Contract extensions are what keeps superstars and hometown favorites on their respective teams. They're why you don't see QBs changing teams every 5 years.

Why does this get ignored every year? It seems like a rather quick fix.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 13, 2016

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Volkerball posted:

My first strategy will probably be to sim through gameplans and only play them for important games I really want to win.
Yep, plus when you go into game you can see what was trained that week because we give you a big informative popup that says you trained X and Y things on offense and defense. Plus those plays are highlighted in your playcalling screen as well so you can easily see at a glance which is a gameplan play and what isn't.

AfterFather posted:

real_scud do you know if they fixed the draft at all? It seems like there are always some game breaking 5th round talent (QB/WR) in the current game and I've seen people in other leagues moving those players to different skill positions (running back/corner) to get more speed on the field.
I didn't do anything relating to the draft this year but I know we had a bunch of people working on it so I can't really say what exactly was tweaked this year in the draft.

zimbomonkey posted:

Why does this get ignored every year? It seems like a rather quick fix.
Because how you think things work and how they really do is sadly vastly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberst
May 24, 2010

real_scud posted:

Yep, plus when you go into game you can see what was trained that week because we give you a big informative popup that says you trained X and Y things on offense and defense. Plus those plays are highlighted in your playcalling screen as well so you can easily see at a glance which is a gameplan play and what isn't.

:eyepop:

• Locked thread