Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Global energy consumption and output is going to increase within the foreseeable future. Considering the impact that current heat output is having on the Earth, is an increase desirable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hi, I'm in Soyuz 11. Everything is going fine, we have a small issue of losing oxygen, but I know a little positive thinking will sort it out. Technology is amazing isn't it? Things are getting better all time, yup.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Salt Fish posted:

This is a common misconception. Efficiency, as currently deployed, doesn't reduce energy use. It instead moves energy use to other applications. As a society we say "oh, we saved a TJ of energy here, we can now use it to do something else".

No, there's actually a downward trend in energy use, diffusion of technologies is just a long process.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hi, I'm on Easter Island. Haven't seen any animals for a while and it seems that there are only a few trees left. Oh well, I'm sure its fine, after all, God has a plan for me, so it'll work out.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Global energy consumption and output is going to increase within the foreseeable future. Considering the impact that current heat output is having on the Earth, is an increase desirable?

Okay, so let's assume a middle-of-the-road increase in population, a (total) 150% increase in energy per capita yearly, and everyone living this lifestyle. That's about a 10x increase in energy output, meaning an overall 8 MJ/m^2 emitted from human energy production. Converted to watts, this is 2.5e-1 W/m^2, or about a third of what global warming has already created in energy deficit. But that's total overall, not the change. Equaling what global warming has done so far would require a 500% increase in energy consumption on average. By comparison, per capita energy consumption for the world from 1820 to the present increased by 300%, so this would be essentially two more industrial revolutions.

This is without noting that energy consumption per capita is holding steady in the developed world, (and, sadly, sub-Saharan Africa) and extrapolating from that.

Salt Fish posted:

Hi, I'm on Easter Island. Haven't seen any animals for a while and it seems that there are only a few trees left. Oh well, I'm sure its fine, after all, God has a plan for me, so it'll work out.

Funnily enough, Jared Diamond was wrong about that too. http://www.pnas.org/content/112/4/1025.abstract

Nice condescending liberal racism, tho.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 19, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the catholic pope is the voice of reason

the world is hosed

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Effectronica posted:

Okay, so let's assume a middle-of-the-road increase in population, a (total) 150% increase in energy per capita yearly, and everyone living this lifestyle. That's about a 10x increase in energy output, meaning an overall 8 MJ/m^2 emitted from human energy production. Converted to watts, this is 2.5e-1 W/m^2, or about a third of what global warming has already created in energy deficit. But that's total overall, not the change. Equaling what global warming has done so far would require a 500% increase in energy consumption on average. By comparison, per capita energy consumption for the world from 1820 to the present increased by 300%, so this would be essentially two more industrial revolutions.

This is without noting that energy consumption per capita is holding steady in the developed world, (and, sadly, sub-Saharan Africa) and extrapolating from that.

Funnily enough, Jared Diamond was wrong about that too. http://www.pnas.org/content/112/4/1025.abstract

Nice condescending liberal racism, tho.

Ah, the good ol' dump a link without reading it strategy. Pretty good posting going on over here.

quote:

This analysis confirms that the intensity of land use decreased substantially in some areas of the island before European contact.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Salt Fish posted:

Ah, the good ol' dump a link without reading it strategy. Pretty good posting going on over here.

Ah, the "cherry picker". A n00bish move. Let me quote the entire thing:

quote:

Significance
Our paper evaluates a long-standing debate and examines whether the prehistoric population of Rapa Nui experienced a significant demographic collapse prior to European contact in AD 1722. We have used dates from hydrated obsidian artifacts recovered from habitation sites as a proxy for land use over time. The analysis suggests region-specific dynamics that include the abandonment of leeward and interior locations. These temporal land-use patterns correlate with rainfall variation and soil quality. This analysis demonstrates that the concept of “collapse” is a misleading characterization of prehistoric human population dynamics. As a result, we see our approach as useful in the study of other prehistoric societies for which a sudden demographic collapse has been proposed in prehistory.

Abstract
Many researchers believe that prehistoric Rapa Nui society collapsed because of centuries of unchecked population growth within a fragile environment. Recently, the notion of societal collapse has been questioned with the suggestion that extreme societal and demographic change occurred only after European contact in AD 1722. Establishing the veracity of demographic dynamics has been hindered by the lack of empirical evidence and the inability to establish a precise chronological framework. We use chronometric dates from hydrated obsidian artifacts recovered from habitation sites in regional study areas to evaluate regional land-use within Rapa Nui. The analysis suggests region-specific dynamics including precontact land use decline in some near-coastal and upland areas and postcontact increases and subsequent declines in other coastal locations. These temporal land-use patterns correlate with rainfall variation and soil quality, with poorer environmental locations declining earlier. This analysis confirms that the intensity of land use decreased substantially in some areas of the island before European contact.

The specific argument, which you can spend ten dollars to read for yourself, is that "collapse" is a misleading (note that when someone says "misleading" in a scientific paper they mean "wrong") way to understand the shifts in Rapa Nui's population and land use prior to European contact, that it reflected shifting with environmental conditions as opposed to the racist middlebrow cracker interpretation where they hosed themselves over.... just like us! wooooooooo~ and died off because of their environmental ignorance. Please sterilize yourself today.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Effectronica posted:

Okay, so let's assume a middle-of-the-road increase in population, a (total) 150% increase in energy per capita yearly, and everyone living this lifestyle. That's about a 10x increase in energy output, meaning an overall 8 MJ/m^2 emitted from human energy production. Converted to watts, this is 2.5e-1 W/m^2, or about a third of what global warming has already created in energy deficit. But that's total overall, not the change. Equaling what global warming has done so far would require a 500% increase in energy consumption on average.

Thanks for crunching the numbers. I don't expect the situation in SSA to hold out for long -- sooner or later the corporations are going to recognize development and growth opportunities there despite the social instability present.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Some more numbers- running this with the assumption that the entire world lives a German lifestyle in terms of energy consumption gives us 0.1 W/m^2 and current energy production gives us 0.03 W/m^2 in terms of energy deficit. So this is an area where encouraging changes in lifestyles has some promise, but it's doubtful you could get the world to the German average quite so easily. Of course, anything aimed at directly mitigating warming cycles can be used to fix this deficit too, which gives us some more wiggle room.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

the world is hosed

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

the world is hosed
I'm not unhappy the pope's doing this, but I'm fairly certain this wouldn't be happening without the shadow of child abuse cases and the negative PR resulting from that. But maybe that's just me being cynical. Let's hope this trend can continueto prevent all of the Siberian/clathrate methane escaping, because that is going to suck major balls.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

Ah, the "cherry picker". A n00bish move. Let me quote the entire thing:

The specific argument, which you can spend ten dollars to read for yourself, is that "collapse" is a misleading (note that when someone says "misleading" in a scientific paper they mean "wrong") way to understand the shifts in Rapa Nui's population and land use prior to European contact, that it reflected shifting with environmental conditions as opposed to the racist middlebrow cracker interpretation where they hosed themselves over.... just like us! wooooooooo~ and died off because of their environmental ignorance. Please sterilize yourself today.

You didn't quote the entire thing, just the abstract because you haven't read the paper and lack the technical background to understand and assess its arguments so maybe you shouldn't get all :qq:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

rudatron posted:

I'm not unhappy the pope's doing this, but I'm fairly certain this wouldn't be happening without the shadow of child abuse cases and the negative PR resulting from that. But maybe that's just me being cynical.
Yes, drawing the ire and attention of the powerful is a sure fire way to sweep all that under the rug, solid analysis

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Get ready for Rick Santorum, the Anti-Pope.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

rudatron posted:

I'm not unhappy the pope's doing this, but I'm fairly certain this wouldn't be happening without the shadow of child abuse cases and the negative PR resulting from that. But maybe that's just me being cynical. Let's hope this trend can continueto prevent all of the Siberian/clathrate methane escaping, because that is going to suck major balls.
In the sense that that is probably why Francis got elected, yeah as opposed to another crotchety old Catholic reactionary. But I don't think that's what motivates him personally to come out with stuff like this.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Forgall posted:

Get ready for Rick Santorum, the Anti-Pope.

I heard snippets where reporters asked Rick and Jeb! (tm) about this, and they basically said, that they follow the Pope on spiritual matters, not economic ones.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Now, I could be wrong, but I think the problem is our carbon dioxide output, not our heat output.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The whole argument about the world being overpopulated or not is beside the point in the context of climate change. We need to make systematic changes to the way we live right now, not wait for the population to peak and decline in 50 years. The nature of C02 emissions means that we're only feeling the effects today of what we put into the atmosphere 20 years ago.

It's easy to say that we should make changes to how we live, and that we need to re-organize our economic thinking to do so. Harder to actually do it. But I think the conversation needs to advance beyond those facts. Are we willing to do whatever it takes to keep the Earth's average global temperature below 2 degrees C? It's as much an ethical issue as it is a scientific one. If not, are we willing to enforce that ban no matter who decides to go ahead and try to geoengineer anyway?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I heard snippets where reporters asked Rick and Jeb! (tm) about this, and they basically said, that they follow the Pope on spiritual matters, not economic ones.
Yeah, because lives and deaths of billions are not a moral question.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Forgall posted:

Yeah, because lives and deaths of billions are not a moral question.

It's a statistical question, really.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

You didn't quote the entire thing, just the abstract because you haven't read the paper and lack the technical background to understand and assess its arguments so maybe you shouldn't get all :qq:

Oh really? Where did you do your doctorate in anthropology, and what was the topic of your dissertation? If you are unwilling to reveal these things, maybe you should stop jacking off in this thread.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Lol? I guess they are hoping people don't read it. The pope doesn't issue economic directives. Maybe someone will call them out on this, maybe.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
The right wing catholic (and protestant) tears over this loving own

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I am so stoked for when Francis speaks before Congress.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Effectronica posted:

Oh really? Where did you do your doctorate in anthropology, and what was the topic of your dissertation? If you are unwilling to reveal these things, maybe you should stop jacking off in this thread.

Can we see yours? Since you seem to be an authority on the subject.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Radbot posted:

Can we see yours? Since you seem to be an authority on the subject.

I never claimed to be an authority on the subject, while The Insect Court has, by implication, done so. If you want that lazy argument to be close at hand for your own use, that is fine and well, just as my wanting people who use it to have their arms broken is equally fine and well.

EDIT: This is an interestingly surreal argument- either people are really invested in Rapa Nui having collapsed due to environmental mismanagement, or there's some ulterior motive at work.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 19, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If the Pope were here right now he'd tell everyone to chill, stop arguing about abstract hypothetical scenarios and irrelevant historical tidbits, and focus on our present material reality.

Then he'd wash some feet.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

I am so stoked for when Francis speaks before Congress.

"More and more, this house resembles a pile of filth."

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

rudatron posted:

Can somebody more knowledgeable than me explain why the Pope has not or cannot solve the child abuse problem with a single stroke, by simply saying something along the lines of, "I, the Pope, am hereby speaking ex cathedra as literally the voice of God Almighty on Earth and I hereby decree that any Catholic official who abused his power and authority by having sexual contact with a child, or who helped cover up such crimes is officially excommunicated, this includes retroactively for the past thousand years" and then there's all kinds of badass biker angels with tattoos and Harleys throwing pedophile priests out of heaven and more importantly that poo poo stops happening on Earth pronto?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Because God hasn't actually told him that and being a lifelong true believer in the faith that's not something he's going to gently caress around with.

There's also a lot of institutional inertia in any organization as large and old as the Catholic church and the Pope only has dictatorial powers as long as the other powerful men surrounding him support his legitimacy. Change is happening and, frankly, it's happening extremely rapidly when you consider the context.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
God probably hasn't called for a cultural revolution to destroy capitalism either. I just figure as a direct response to the pedophilia scandal it would be more effective to specifically address that problem. He's already rocking the boat big time with the statements in the OP. Unfortunately, in our time and in my country at least, we've gotten to the point that "global warming exists and humans have to deal with it" and "pollution is a serious problem that is humanity's fault" are controversial statements thanks to Overton Window bullshit. "Pedophiles can't be in God's Cool Dudes Club" is not a statement that right-wing lobbyists are going to immediately spend a billion dollars in the next week to counter. Fox News isn't going to run editorials about "actually what the Pope meant by that was...", they are going to agree with it and blame "liberals" as usual.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Network Pesci posted:

Can somebody more knowledgeable than me explain why the Pope has not or cannot solve the child abuse problem with a single stroke, by simply saying something along the lines of, "I, the Pope, am hereby speaking ex cathedra as literally the voice of God Almighty on Earth and I hereby decree that any Catholic official who abused his power and authority by having sexual contact with a child, or who helped cover up such crimes is officially excommunicated, this includes retroactively for the past thousand years" and then there's all kinds of badass biker angels with tattoos and Harleys throwing pedophile priests out of heaven and more importantly that poo poo stops happening on Earth pronto?

He's done a ton of stuff. He admitted fault in the church and promised to change it. Then he made a bunch of people vanish, told everyone else to stop loving kids and apologized profusely. These are all huge changes for the Church, he absolutely has not ignored it.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I'm not saying he's ignored it, I know he's the most comparatively progressive Pope in forever and he's apologized for it and said it wouldn't happen again. But that's something that's happened a thousand times, even if it's usually insincere. Lots of politicians or corporate PR guys have apologized for bad things. As Pope, Francis has the unique ability to invoke divine power and make a ruling that could stand potentially for millenia, to say the final word on a Catholic problem that's a cliche, a punchline.

Goddamn, having read that letter now, he's really NOT afraid to court controversy. He literally says "stop worshiping the stock market it is not God" and "technology is supposed to be a tool, not a goal". Maybe "No more pedophiles" isn't controversial enough for him to bother with.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Network Pesci posted:

Catholics aren't robot slaves to Canon Law and there is much debate even among Catholic theologians on what the bounds of papal infallibility are and which statements qualify.

It isn't just the Pope putting on his biggest hat and saying "Y'all fuckers listen up now!"

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

I never claimed to be an authority on the subject, while The Insect Court has, by implication, done so. If you want that lazy argument to be close at hand for your own use, that is fine and well, just as my wanting people who use it to have their arms broken is equally fine and well.

EDIT: This is an interestingly surreal argument- either people are really invested in Rapa Nui having collapsed due to environmental mismanagement, or there's some ulterior motive at work.

You slide into the thread, squeeze out a post impying that Jared Diamond is a lying racist monster by linking to an abstract of a single paper you haven't actually read and wouldn't have the background to understand anyway, and then whine about how the people calling you out on your pretentious idiocy just hate the browns. Which is tbh pretty standard Effectronicaposting.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

The Pope's vigorous stance on climate change may help, but it's going to be mitigated in the US where it's needed most because the USCCB is full of reactionary assholes more interested in trying to deny communion to pro-marriage and pro-choice politicians and defending their right to sweet child rape cases under the rug. Without the bishops of major cities showing a willingness to publicly engage with this topic and make it a subject of sustained criticism there isn't going to be too much pressure on even Catholics in the GOP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It isn't just the Pope putting on his biggest hat and saying "Y'all fuckers listen up now!"
How big is the Pope's biggest hat?

Is it the triregnum? Or the big mitre? Or does he have an even bigger hat somewhere, possibly with fruit incorporated?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

talking ex cathedra is enormously problematic on a very basic theological level, and generally people like to pretend that it isn't a Thing

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Ex cathedra is pretty much only used to define dogma. The last time it was used was in 1950 to define the Assumption of Mary as dogma.

Priests who commit child abuse (which we should distinguish from "being pedophiles", which means only inclination), like anyone else who commits child abuse, could be argued to have committed a mortal sin and thereby separated themselves from God and damned themselves to Hell. However, if they confess all of their known mortal sins in the sacrament of Penance then they are absolved of the mortal consequences of their sin and only retain temporal punishment, i.e. time spent in Purgatory. This temporal punishment can itself be alleviated through various penitential behaviors such as prayer, fasting, almsgiving, and the gaining of indulgences. If they were to repeat a mortal sin then they would again be condemned until they confessed it again, ad infinitum.

However, whether it's a mortal sin is questionable. There are three criteria for mortal sin: the sin must be of "grave matter," it must be done with full will, and also with full knowledge. But "grave matter" includes such relatively common things as masturbation, fornication and drunkenness. Full knowledge is a yes in this case, but generally people try to declare that people don't have "full will" to do the sin unless they are actually trying to spite God, rather than engaging in a behavior they resist and regret. A sin which does not qualify as mortal is called a venial sin, venial meaning "forgiveable", and does not result in damnation but does incur metaphorical time in Purgatory.

I should also clarify that this only counts if a person has been baptized. A person who has not yet been baptized is presumed doomed to Hell due to original sin, except for in the case of "baptism of desire" (i.e. a person dies while on the path to baptism) and "baptism of blood" (an unbaptized and repentant person is martyred for Christ), or if God is otherwise merciful for reasons unknown to us.

Kyrie eleison fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Go away, kyrie. You can't even tell the difference between Catholic and Protestant doctrine.

• Locked thread