Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Hello TFF.

It is with a heavy, over-sized heart that I relay to you that we have lost one of our own. Aric Matthew Kleppin aka wheez the roux has passed away. He was 26.

Obituary here

quote:

On May 23, 2015 a beautiful, brilliant, funny and kind young man was sitting on his couch in Pullman, Washington excitedly messaging his sister about plans to celebrate a family event. Then his heart stopped beating. He was 26 years old.

Aric Matthew Kleppin, who was born on August 30, 1988 in Anchorage, Alaska and graduated from South High School, would have loved this opportunity to write something ridiculous about himself in the newspaper, and likely would have preferred we use a picture of him in his beloved Halloween horse mask. Instead, his family would like to introduce him to those who did not know him.

Aric was an avid student of history and linguistics; he was an enthusiastic cook with a kitchen full of unusual cooking implements; he was a talented trombone player with a passion for jazz and love of Japanese pop music; he was an outspoken activist for human rights, volunteering with Project Hope in Nablus, Palestine; he was a caring son who loved going to football and baseball games with his dad as well as road trips with his mom; he was a proud Washington State University graduate like his older sister; he was a world traveler who gleefully celebrated Spain's World Cup victory while in Barcelona and did not go into the details about how exactly he got that photo from the top of the pyramid of Giza; he was a Spanish speaker who loved teaching at Concordia Language Camp in Bemidji, Minnesota; he was a passionate debater who never conceded an argument no matter how absolutely wrong he might have been.

Our awesome son, brother, and friend had unbounded intellectual curiosity and has left behind passionate and prolific recommendations of novels, articles, films, albums, documentaries, causes and recipes which will take us a lifetime to catch up with.

Aric is loved, missed, and survived by his family including his parents Daryl and Donna, older sisters Desa and Lyndsey, brother-in-law Cory Duskin, niece and nephew Alaina and Parker Duskin, grandfather Ronald Steichen as well as numerous, aunts, uncles, cousins, teachers, students and friends.

A celebration featuring his favorite food, beverages and music will be held at home in Anchorage on August 29th. Further details will be announced closer to that date. Memorial contributions in Aric’s honor are suggested to the Southern Poverty Law Center or Doctors Without Borders. Kimball Funeral Home & Crematory of Pullman has been entrusted with cremation arrangements.

If you spent any time here in the last few years you knew wheez as an incredibly funny, intelligent, and sometimes vulgar poster. Wheez had a positive impact on this forum and I think it's safe to say that GDTs and the forum at large will be a crappier place without him. This is a place to share memories, posts, or just talk about a straight-up good dude.

Ehud suggested that we donate to the South Povery Law Center (https://donate.splcenter.org/) in his honor which is a fitting tribute to such a socially conscious dude.

But sincerity without mockery isn't what wheeze would've wanted, Detroit_Dogg suggested that we make some toxxs in which we honor wheez, so in his honor...

:toxx:

If we can raise $250 in donation to the SLPC I will create and eat a full 4loko inspired/infused meal, chosen by donors, during the first Seahawks game of the year

:toxx:

Rest in Peace Aric.

fan of the browns fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Oh man

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fantastic thread title

rest in peace big guy

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dude was six months younger than me and his heart just stopped, gently caress that :( Rest easy wheez

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

I dont have the larger one, apologies.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

C-Euro posted:

Dude was six months younger than me and his heart just stopped, gently caress that :( Rest easy wheez

Wheez was a legit cool dude. Probably my favorite TFF poster. He made me root for the cougs.

gently caress man. GDTs are going to be weird without Wheez's songs and poo poo after the game gets out of hand.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'll make fried chicken in his memory sometime.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I lurk more than I post, but Wheez always made me laugh. What a lovely day.

RIP Wheez

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Its so weird. I feel like I haven't earned the right to be as upset by this as I am. I mean, I did not know him as well as his friends, or even a lot of people on here. But still, drat man. He was a great guy and he will be missed. Will toss in something to the pot in a bit.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
would you read my posts if i saw you in heaven
would i get your lols if i saw you in heaven

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Also I don't have a cool screen cap, but I donated $25 to SPLC.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
you know I always wondered how long it would be until online R.I.P. posts had someone's name I knew in the title

and boy does it suck :( GDTs will somehow be more hollow than ever without wheez's presence

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

is it possible to get this thread pinned, at least temporarily?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
If we reach 300 tonight (which should be laughably easy) I'll concoct a new drink at my bar using Loko as a main ingredient. It will be gross and I'll capture the process in pictures and share the recipe. Please do not try to replicate the recipe.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
wheez also made a big effort post in the ME thread during Israel's latest bombing campaign listing charities there that he tried to encourage people to donate to, if you'd like to donate to something along those lines.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390388&pagenumber=1468&perpage=40#post431898478

is there something we could send to his family to show that he meant a lot to us here, or is there no way to do that that isn't cheesy and tacky?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Wheez and I agreed on nothing! But it sucks that he's gone.

I just donated $50 in his name to Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Volkerball posted:

wheez also made a big effort post in the ME thread during Israel's latest bombing campaign listing charities there that he tried to encourage people to donate to, if you'd like to donate to something along those lines.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390388&pagenumber=1468&perpage=40#post431898478

is there something we could send to his family to show that he meant a lot to us here, or is there no way to do that that isn't cheesy and tacky?

I'm gonna try to come up with something to send to his family that won't be weird.

It will probably still be a little weird cause we are from the internet

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Was he the poster with the combination pete carroll avatar/guy eating popcorn? If so, gently caress that sucks.

He taught me that the MLB was the "mike". RIP.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I like the idea of pooling cash for a nice wreath or something for his family

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
A edible arrangement shaped like Mike Leach's head

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
For those who wanted the full WE WANT BAMA picture, here's the link it someone wants to make a better version for the OP: http://gigapixel.panoramas.com/washingtonstate/football/20140920/?view.fov=7.20&view.vlookat=-3.03&view.hlookat=-195.91

Also, include http://www.istombradyacheater.com/ Sadly, he never got to harvest the hate mail from that. I'm sure it would have been enjoyable.

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008
I mostly just lurk and I'm too dumb too screencap things, but wheez was the best and the coolest and will be sorely missed. I have donated $25 to SPLC in his honor. RIP.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Wheez was good people, I'll throw in for SPLC when I get home from work. And that pole picture is legit one of my favorite things on TFF, such a goddamn perfect way to be photographed at a Wazzu game.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Put in $50 to the SPLC.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
wheez turned me on to this, the greatest chicken recipe EVER. I cannot recommend this enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

I like the idea of pooling cash for a nice wreath or something for his family

Ya. This. When my father died nice flowers and wreaths were like the only things that I didn't get upset with. I would give a little more, of course I am a poor grad students so I can't give much, if we are taking up a collection for a wreath.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
We're going to send a flower arrangement shaped like Connor Halliday's NFL future

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
Jesus Christ I was hoping this thread title was just some kind of joke :smith:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
drat this sucks :smith:

How about in addition to donations, those of us that go to college games each make a "We Want Wazzu" sign. Poles optional.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Goddamn Wheez how are you going to up and die like that :(

Gonna pour half a bag of popcorn on my face in remembrance.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I have one of wheez's chicken recipes saved on my computer. I haven't gotten around to trying it out and probably won't since I'm lactose intolerant, but... gently caress, maybe I'll make it in honor of him anyway.

This sucks. I kinda just feel stunned by this. He was just a guy we knew on a football forum, but... he was larger than life, y'know?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROixfhb6ZKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkgMynJLAw

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What's this chicken recipe?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Sash! posted:

What's this chicken recipe?

the Best Fried Chcken You Will Ever Eat You loving Dick
adapated from a recipe by thomas keller because suck my dick none of you deserve to eat this good

first you'll need some chicken. the best way is to buy 2-3 whole chickens (~3-4# each, bigger chickens are grotesque hormone pumped monstrosities that have muscles growing in wrong places and cutting them is a horror show of anatomical miscarriages) and break them down into 10 pieces. if you're too stupid to figure out a 10 piece break then watch this video and learn something you useless swine. if you had to look it up it probably means you don't make your own stock in which case you can either start doing so to make use of the leftover carcass bits + spine or you can be a lazy wasteful worthless rear end in a top hat and buy 5-10lbs of whatever pieces you want ie drumsticks, thighs, breasts. SKIN ON, BONE IN YOU PRICK. if the breasts are Too Huge, you'll have to break them into smaller pieces. there's an ideal surface area-to-volume ratio you want here. too small and your chicken will overcook,too big and it'll be undercooked and loving gross and the breading will burn before the center is warm which means i can;'t teach you anything. jesus christ.

so once you have your chicken you're gonna want to brine it, which accomplishes two goals: it flavors the chicken and it keeps it moist through the cooking process. you can do a lot of things with brine but any good chicken brine will have a few key ingredients: lemon, thyme, parsley, peppercorns, garlic, bay leaves, and a sweetener (honey or sugar). these are classics for chicken in any form for a reason, because people with better palettes than you refined it for centuries. i'll quote keller's recipe for brine here because it's foolproof and excellent. ps if you don't have a digital kitchen scale loving BUY ONE OH MY GOD VOLUMETRIC MEASUREMENT IS FOR ASSHOLES

quote:
Chicken Brine
Makes 2 gallons
5 lemons, halved
• 24 bay leaves
• 1 bunch (4 ounces) flat-leaf parsley
• 1 bunch (1 ounce) thyme
• 1/2 cup clover honey
• 1 head garlic, halved through the equator
• 3/4 cup black peppercorns
• 2 cups (10 ounces) kosher salt, preferably Diamond Crystal
• 2 gallons water

The key ingredient here is the lemon, which goes wonderfully with chicken, as do the herbs: bay leaf, parsley, and thyme. This amount of brine will be enough for 10 pounds.

Combine all the ingredients in a large pot, cover, and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring to dissolve the salt. Remove from the heat and cool completely, then chill before using. The brine can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

you can vary this. i add more lemon and garlic. do what you want i don't care but probably try it as written before screwing around with it and ruining it like an idiot. make the brine and wait until it is COMPLETELY CHILLED or you'll be breaking about a billion rules of poultry safety and poison your friends and be That Guy when they're all sick. don't be That Guy. do it in advance a day if you don't have a huge amount of time to wait for chilling (i'm talking like 6 hours). if you don't have a big enough pot for 2 gallons you can do it with 1 gallon of water, and then when you get to the chilling step add the other gallon of water in a larger vessel ( a sanitized home depot bucket for $5 owns because it's big enough to brine a turkey in for thanksgiving) and the dilution will also cool it rapidly.

once your brine is loving chilled then pour it over all your chicken. i use huge ziploc plastic tubs and organize by cut (ie drumsticks, thighs, breasts) for organizational purposes but if you go the bucket route then just put all your chicken in, cover it, and put in the fridge covered. ziploc bags work well too but you'll probably spill all over everything and contaminate everything with raw poultry you god drat idiot. use tupperware/tubs/whatever. time this so that you're doing it as close to 12 hours before you want to be serving your chicken as possible. as much as 16 hours is okay if not ideal, by 24 your chicken will be p drat salty, under 10 and the flavor will be weak.

~90 minutes before you want to serve, pull chicken from the fridge and dump the brine, rinse off the chicken with cold water and get it good and clean. then pat it all dry and keep it separated by parts and set aside covered with a tea towel or w/e to let it come up to room temperature. now is a good time to prepare your cook station. you'll be making a flour coating and using buttermilk for a double coating. flour->buttermilk->flour->fryer->cooling rack will be your workflow here. again from keller:

quote:
Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

Two 2 1/2- to 3-pound chickens (see Note on Chicken Size)
Chicken Brine (recipe follows), cold
For Dredging and Frying
• Peanut or canola oil for deep-frying [ed. note: i use vegetable oil, idgaf. just know your smoke points]
• 1 quart buttermilk
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Coating
• 6 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup garlic powder
• 1/4 cup onion powder
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cayenne
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Ground fleur de sel or fine sea salt

Directions

Cut each chicken into 10 pieces: 2 legs, 2 thighs, 4 breast quarters, and 2 wings. Pour the brine into a container large enough to hold the chicken pieces, add in the chicken, and refrigerate for 12 hours (no longer, or the chicken may become too salty).

Remove the chicken from the brine (discard the brine) and rinse under cold water, removing any herbs or spices sticking to the skin. Pat dry with paper towels, or let air-dry. Let rest at room temperature for 1-1/2 hours, or until it comes to room temperature.

If you have two large pots (about 6 inches deep) and a lot of oil, you can cook the dark and white meat at the same time; if not, cook the dark meat first, then turn up the heat and cook the white meat. No matter what size pot you have, the oil should not come more than one-third of the way up the sides of the pot. Fill the pot with at least 2 inches of peanut oil and heat to 320°F. [ed. note: USE A THERMOMETER IN YOUR OIL ] Set a cooling rack over a baking sheet. Line a second baking sheet with parchment paper.

Meanwhile, combine all the coating ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer half the coating to a second large bowl. Pour the buttermilk into a third bowl and season with salt and pepper. Set up a dipping station: the chicken pieces, one bowl of coating, the bowl of buttermilk, the second bowl of coating, and the parchment-lined baking sheet.

Just before frying, dip the chicken thighs into the first bowl of coating, turning to coat and patting off the excess; dip them into the buttermilk, allowing the excess to run back into the bowl; then dip them into the second bowl of coating. Transfer to the parchment-lined pan.

Carefully lower the thighs into the hot oil. Adjust the heat as necessary to return the oil to the proper temperature. Fry for 2 minutes, then carefully move the chicken pieces around in the oil and continue to fry, monitoring the oil temperature and turning the pieces as necessary for even cooking, for 11 to 12 minutes, until the chicken is a deep golden brown, cooked through, and very crisp. Meanwhile, coat the chicken drumsticks and transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet.

Transfer the cooked thighs to the cooling rack skin-side-up and let rest while you fry the remaining chicken. (Putting the pieces skin-side-up will allow excess fat to drain, whereas leaving them skin-side-down could trap some of the fat.) Make sure that the oil is at the correct temperature, and cook the chicken drumsticks. When the drumsticks are done, lean them meat-side-up against the thighs to drain, then sprinkle the chicken with fine sea salt.

Turn up the heat and heat the oil to 340°F. Meanwhile, coat the chicken breasts and wings. Carefully lower the chicken breasts into the hot oil and fry for 7 minutes, or until golden brown, cooked through, and crisp. Transfer to the rack, sprinkle with salt, and turn skin side up. Cook the wings for 6 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer the wings to the rack and turn off the heat. Arrange the chicken on a serving platter.

Note: We let the chicken rest for 7 to 10 minutes after it comes out of the fryer so that it has a chance to cool down. If the chicken has rested for longer than 10 minutes, put the tray of chicken in a 400°F oven for a minute or two to ensure that the crust is crisp and the chicken is hot. [ed. note: you can keep racks of chicken in the oven at 200ΊF for 15-30m without a problem to hold batches while you do the 2nd/3rd]

i've made this a million times so if you have any questions just ask and contemplate how you failed your poor mother to not be able to follow a simple god damned recipe. you can adjust the coating quite a bit obviously, i use extra paprika (pimentσn picante) and some other peppers besides cayenne (ancho, de arbol) but it can be whatever you want once you know how the baseline recipe works. anyway here's some pictures from various times i made it

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is loving horrible news. Wheez owned so much. What an Obit.

:rip:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Well that sucks.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Mostly just lurk here but Wheez was one of my favorite posters. RIP dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
The SPLC does really good work on both a national and regional/local level. This is a good cause to donate to, for anyone on the fence.

• Locked thread