Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

You are the one who was.

You are the one who is.

And you are the one who shall be.

Bring on Heavensward. I'm looking forward to what shall be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Iron Tusk posted:

Ugh. Too much hype. Can't sleep.

There's a part of me that goes "you are far too old to be this hype for a videogame release".

And then there's another part that answers back "if I was incapable of getting hype for something this fantastic-looking, I'd be dead inside".

On the whole, I think it's okay to be hype for something that looks this promising. :v:

I'm probably going to either Splat or Bloodborne while we wait for the servers to come back.

Furnaceface posted:

Friends and goons hyped the poo poo out of this game, so I bought it while it was on sale on Steam... last night right as the servers went down for an expansion. :saddowns:

Im not sure if that is the best or worst timing.

Best timing, after today's wait you'll get a huge boost to leveling from 1-50.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Every single time I hear this version of the FFII battle theme, it's the cabana trumpets that kill me. Every single time.

(Those summer/dancer outfits are going to be murder to obtain, aren't they)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

And now cometh the longest four hours of the year. Rip our everything

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I still say it's fun to go back into the older threads and see just how goddamn far we've come. Especially the old 1.0 threads, full of despair.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353297 - original retail thread, the dawn begins to break on page 62.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433215 - Yoshi-era 1.0, ends when the servers go down.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516878 - the transition, beta, and launch 2.0 thread. Watching people realize the game is good in this thread is just :allears:-inducing.

Now, of course, we get to fill the current thread with talk of bad DRKs and fracture. :v: So far, yet still so near~

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

psymonkey posted:

I want Chrono Trigger content so bad in this game. Magus Castle Dungeon/Raid, ehhh??? Tyranos Lair? Black Omen?? Come on SE!!

They actually have been tallying both the SaGa games and Chrono Trigger with the Final Fantasy series in other crossover products to ensure those games get exposure at all, so it's not impossible, really. I'd love a Black Omen-inspired raid.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Niton posted:

If you get loot on Savage, you can get more loot in Story, but not vice-versa? :v:

Sure why not :v:

psymonkey posted:

They both fall in pits, twin "in the ground" emotes.. This writes itself, come on Square.

Man now I do kind of want this to happen. Ozzie and crew haven't gotten the love they deserve in a long time and they're a perfect crossover fit for Hildibrand.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogog

og

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Oh poo poo, did it eat my fantasia and maybe glitch out my character in a transient state between races? We'll find out I guess. :stare:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

Error 1014, but I'm a dragongirl now, at least.

Exactly my situation as well. Didn't expect I'd be 1014ing in loving Old Gridania of all places.

fount of knowledge posted:

Is it the same as the video they showed at Fanfest?

It is indeed the full version of the Opening Movie, with credits added.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah I can't even get through the lobby at this point.

I knew poo poo would be congested, but this is grim.

At least I did get onto Zodiark for a little bit and tried out dragonprincess animations. In the main, I like them quite a bit :3: they don't have as great a /grovel as lalafells, but then nobody can really have as great a grovel because a proper-size person trying to mimic the lalagrovel would look like they're shattering their kneecaps. The other animations are nicely characterful, though, and by and large I dig 'em.

Now I just need to see how my dragonprincess looks in my wardrobe. :negative: Yoship pls

quick edit in a queue thank gods

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

You're going to be really unhappy about Alphalpha's VA.

Did they really change out Alf's VA? Boo-urns.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

pandaK posted:

How long would it take me to get to Heavensward? :v:

And yeah, I guess just straight up starting a brand new account is on the board since I have literally like 2 hours of progress on this one, but gently caress trying to get a proper Excalibur account again (unless they alleviated this issue now?).

The Excal character creation thing might never be "fixed" at this point because the server is so high-traffic. Nobody really anticipated this, but that's what it is.

Also it won't take as long as you think, because the ARR main story now gives tons of experience, so hop on that train with your catgirl :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kuvo posted:

chairman please do the needful

The INSTANT I enter a quest, look what you people go and do.

Speaking of, god drat but DRK 50 is a hell of a thing. And, from what I can tell, it ties in so well thematically to the expansion, too. I'm really not regretting my decision to switch to DRK for doing the Heavensward MSQ.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

so bards are still poo poo out of luck then

BRD and MCH balance changes probably won't come until at least 3.0.1, or 3.0.5. I sorta suspect it'll be sooner than 3.1 because holy gently caress is MCH not in a good spot right now, but it was unrealistic to expect those sort of changes this soon.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

If you turn north at exactly 6pm in game time during the weather and sheathe an alagan weapon after defeating all the bosses in the fates, Bahamut Neo appears :cry:

realtalk a Bahamut Secundus would own so hard

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

given how popular DRK is on the RP server, a lot of what I'm seeing is probably both, DRK is a VERY popular class on balmung.

chuuni job, 100% confirmed

But yeah, threat gen is not a problem for DRK unless you sync down to >26 (and at that level threat is a joke for every tank :v:). The whole point of Dark Arts + Power Slash is to give you bonkers threat gen, and everything else important also has huge enmity scaling, so no DRK should have threat problems. The easy threat gen is one of the reasons I love tanking with it! (Now if only it was a little clearer exactly how Unleash worked vis-a-vis the "hit" going out compared to the animation...)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

・An issue wherein the dark knight action "Dark Arts" would apply its effect to multiple actions used in sequence.

This is the patch where fun went to die. :mad:

(Naw but seriously, we're supposed to do what now to keep remotely up with Warriors?... Bueller?...)

I'll also have to see about this AoE thing being hosed up

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Niton posted:

On this, though, I rather suspect you aren't, but we'll have to wait for the first balance patch to see what that entails.

Well, I also meant that more as "what is either tank class supposed to do versus Fell Cleave" :v: we will have to see if that sticks around.

quote:

Relatedly, I hope they address the weirdness of Fairy scaling in 3.0 - thanks to either a bug or change in the way 51-60 fairies calculate their stats, level 60 fairies heal for less as a percentage of your other heals than they did at 50. If you take a level 50 and a level 60 Scholar with equal MND and WD, the level 50's fairy heals for about 25% more :psyduck:

I'm 90% sure this is a bug, though, and I'm a little surprised it wasn't fixed in this go-around. While it does seem like they were a little surprised at how long Scholars were spending in Cleric, the way the numbers are lining up right now just seems like an oversight. I can't imagine them intending for a fairy's "naked" healing to get smaller as you go higher in level.

(And besides, if they didn't want SCH doing allthedamage, they wouldn't have given us Broil. :allears:)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Eminent Domain posted:

This is also the personal airship theme. It's amazing.

It's the theme for all non-chocobo dedicated flying mounts, though it's obviously intended first and foremost for The Mount You Get At 59. You even hear the opening bars of the theme in the cutscene where you get the mount.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

One question: Do they change anything in the 1-50 or patch storylines if you start off as an Au Ra?

Goofily, no. Yugiri doesn't even notice that you're a kinsman, which makes that whole scene calling attention to her attire incredibly silly.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Truga posted:

What hairstyle is that and where do I unlock it?

(SE, give me some god drat long hair already)

Freak Futanari posted:

Long hair would be pointless because even short hair clips through absolutely everything.

From some comments the art team's made in certain places (like the art books), this is the reason - super long hair is a technical nightmare on multiple levels in the current engine, and only NPCs like Iceheart get such hair because the art team can exert far more control over the hair per-scene, compared to a player's hair which has to work everywhere and ideally clip as little as possible.

(Longer hair would be cool)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Plastic Paws posted:

was going through old screenshots....

Weddings involving lalafells are the best thing

Yololo should get hitched some day to provide a source of even more wedding screenshots, but alas, I simply haven't found the right person~

Great White Hope! posted:

I just reunited with my catgirl dragoon on excalibur, which goon FC do I choose to join and inevitably disappoint by dying on every encounter? :confused:
Edit: I don't know how to read!

All three have a little bit of room right now, but new players probably want to gravitate over toward Third Party Tools. Look for folks with an <EULA> tag or head to the house in Mist near Limsa, and remember to follow the instructions of ffgoons to prove you are an Authentic Goon.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just hit my first level 50.

Is it worth picking up the expansion now so to ensure I'm not wasting experience from the MSQ?

If you have enjoyed the game so far, pick up Heavensward so that you get experience going through the 2.x patch content. Keep in mind that there's a lot of this content, though; if you do everything, it'll probably take you a week or two on a fairly casual play schedule.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm so close to finally getting into Heavensward but completely hit a brick wall against Nabriales, that guy does not gently caress around at all; wiped six times across two parties last night, dps just don't seem to be able to burn down the aetherial tear at the end quickly enough

It is a really cool fight and probably the first time in the main scenario I've really had to sit up and pay attention

Nabriales is absolutely the most difficult of the story trials. If you're on Excalibur, feel free to ask for goon help and mention that you're trying to clear it for story advancement, that should get a few folks to help.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Man, I knew potatoes were messed up, but seriously?

Look: crustaceans are complicated, things happen, and we don't talk about it in polite potato society

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

pandaK posted:

Hey how long does the pbc FC wait to kick afk kick people out from the FC? My subscription just ended, but I'm definitely planning on re-subbing in at least 3 days' time. Will I be fine idling in the FC until then?

As I recall, we typically boot people who haven't logged in for 60 days or more periodically. If we're really squeezed for space and have tons of demand, I think we've done 30-day kicks.

You're fine either way if you log in within 3 days and were on just a day or two ago.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

So, if you're not doing Savage, is the Esoterics gear kind of the last grind until 3.1? Like, Esoterics gear is all better than the story Alexander gear, so the only reason to run Alexander at this point is if you like the way that set looks, I guess? This is all confusing.

Basically, yes. In fact upgraded Esoterics gear is probably going to be the best gear available until 3.2, as in the content model to date, odd-numbered patches have been "catch-up" patches.

You're limited in how much Esoterics you get a week, though, so Alex normal will help fill that in.

I didn't anticipate Esoterics being that much more powerful than Alex normal, though. That is one gently caress of a power spike we're seeing at 60 at this point. :stare:

Farg posted:

So if I Only did EXDR, it would take 6 days to cap esoterics? What if I threw in frontlines and trials? Or even just extra EXDR runs?

Actual clears of Fractal/Reap will provide Esoterics too, so it's more like four days. If you do EXDR and Trial consistently, which takes less than an hour, capping should not be remotely an issue.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 21, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Chyea posted:

goblins are literally hitler satan

I fully anticipate Pepsiman being turbohitler

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Chyea posted:

A2 Savage Down

World First

Let us know how brutal pepsiman is

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

LegionAreI posted:

So being the scrubbiest scrublord that ever did scrub in America, I tanked the boss, got the clear for the newbie, and got my amusement all at the same time. I don't get what these people get out of going off like that, but whatever floats your boat I guess?

A lot of people simply go by their previous experiences in a given piece of content and assume it must be like that all the time, or simply have a comfort zone which they shut down outside of. Despite being nearly level 60, he probably never did the math and realized that Protect isn't even necessary for pre-30 dungeons, or didn't realize that, especially with the changes to syncing, a SCH can easily solo the dungeons at that level.

He flipped out because he was afraid of ephemeral "failure", but for whatever reason couldn't process the information in front of him that revealed his fears were unfounded.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Spaceman Future! posted:

does protect even matter pre longstop? Most of the heals are still overheals at that point, the impact is minimal

That's sort of the point of the conversation: no, Protect is completely trivial before, hell, Stone Vigil even, but some people will just completely flip out if a healer doesn't have it in super-lowbie content even though it doesn't even matter.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

what else am I supposed to do in 25 minute DPS queues besides :justpost:

e: this is an actual question by the way. the only thing I can think of is FATE grinding alternate classes and that's no fun

If you aren't interested in trying out and leveling the other classes, don't think you have any hope of finding a static or doing any savage Alex (why aren't you with the Goonion) and aren't interested in character progression in general, aren't interested in the crafting and pretty princess aspect and aren't interested/invested in the side games like Gold Saucer, you really should consider unsubbing. There's no need to keep going with something you aren't enjoying, and you can always come back for 3.1!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

DrNutt posted:

So how far into the game do you have to be for most of this thread to make sense? I am in the early 20s and most of the posts go way over my head. The only other MMO I've played was Star Trek Online, but it's got even more of a focus on single player content than even FFXIV, and I'm sure that doesn't help my general illiteracy.

he1ixx posted:

I am glad I'm not alone. I'm closing in on 30 and felt like a boss wobbling around on my fat chocobo but reading this thread always makes me feel like a wee baby.

Haha, don't worry about it too much; the stuff that usually gets talked about here will start to make more sense post-50, especially the tank stuff and the raid chat. For now just enjoy pressing buttons at mans and appreciate how stupidly pretty the game is and how fun the encounters are, and remember to ask Goons for help whenever you hit a dungeon or whatever! (And if you aren't on Excalibur, get on Excalibur!) And if anything seems particularly curious, just ask and folks will be happy to explain. At length. DRK supremacy

teacup posted:

I wish we had a thread for just straight up newbie questions

When do we start getting new mounts? I've got a chocobo mount and that's it.

We're honestly hitting that uncomfortable point where one thread has difficulty containing all the chat, but it's arguable whether we have enough traffic to sustain a subforum.

Anyway, Realm Reborn 2.x content is a little thin on mounts; you'll get one as a subscriber bonus at 6090 days and you get one for beating launch 2.0's main plot, and not a lot beyond that. Heavensward throws mounts at you at a somewhat greater clip, and you'll get a variant chocobo, an aircycle-style personal airship, and a Spoiler Mount by the end. For mounts beyond that, you need to kill the Realm Reborn Extreme-mode Primals or do ARR beastman dailies.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 26, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

vanbags posted:

So I have a question about tanking the 4th floor of Alexander.

What's the point of having a tank on the leg not being killed?

Not necessary. The Manipulator itself copies the aggro of the leg currently being attacked, so all tank-targeting mechanics will target the tank attacking one leg. There is no need to engage both legs at once (and in fact when one goes down the other gets a full heal, wasting the damage you did).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

vanbags posted:

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. If I'm the tank with aggro should I also be eating orbs?

In phase 1, sure, doesn't matter too much who intercepts them as long as they can soak a 4-5k hit. In phase 3, absolutely not, as Discoid is a multi-part attack then, and soon after orbs spawn, you'll get shot in the face with a succession of 5k+ laser blasts from Manipulator's center eye.

Pikachu posted:

Still can't clear A2

:psyduck: I've never even seen an A2 fail if it wasn't being done goofily on purpose with Goons and I have no idea how a tank could be so asleep as to not pick stuff up in the normal mode of that fight.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Eej posted:

Chyea and friends switched to DRK for A3S, thereby cementing DRK as king of MT mountain.

Eternal truth right here

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Is it me, or did a bunch of characters get new VAs between ARR and HW?

Real answer: yes, for reasons they haven't quite explained yet, SE began transitioning to a London-based recording studio in 2.4 for the Ishgardian characters, and with Heavensward moved English voice production over there completely, with the attendant role changes for the non-Ishgardian cast. (The old voice recording had been done in Los Angeles.) As a result, there's actually a fair number of Xenoblade veterans among the cast now - Tataru is Fiora, which is basically the best thing, and Pipin, for all he doesn't get a ton of screentime this expansion so far, is Shulk. Sadly, no Jay Taylor (Reyn) or Rufus Jones (Dunban), though with Jones that's probably because he's busy as hell. We also got David Warner (Jon Irenicus, Chancellor Gorkon, et cetera) as Edmont, which just owns.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC Alphinaud's also voiced by Shulk.

Not quite. Alf is actually voiced by Colin Ryan, another young British talent.

He does have some Wii cred, though: he was Yurick in The Last Story. :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Ryan_%28actor%29

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

took me a minute

but then I got it and I smiled

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

This thread is extremely close to just devolving into constant :vince:.

And I know I'm not helping, 'cause holy god :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm gonna sit here all night refreshing the server selection every 3 minutes while I play my 3ds and hope for the best.

Don't bother for another six hours or so. That's about when it will definitely open up.

• Locked thread