Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

hey so what's the deal if you preordered via PSN?
What deal? The DLC should have preloaded, you launch the game today to register it to your SE account and download 3.0 and maybe it'll work in a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also speaking of PS4 they changed the splash screen for when you start the game and I'm pissed!! Now its just a picture of a stupid dragoon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Now I'm concerned. I purchased via the PS Store for PS4 (on a non-PS3→PS4-upgrade account), confirmed stuff on my system, and had to do some stuff earlier today before downloading what I thought was a ~3 GB patch, but Mogstation doesn't have anything down for the Heavensward license row for me and talk of a 8 gig patch has me worried.

Did I goof? Will HW become linked for me once Early Access officially starts and I'll have to download then, or was this just earlier in the day than the 8 gig and I need to run the launcher again?
Try running it again, once you log in it'll bring up a dialog box asking if you want to register Heavensward early access to your account. I don't think the patch is 8GB on PS4, there's the 3GB patch out of the launcher and 2GB DLC.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rincewind posted:

How did the Legacy program work? 1.0 and ARR seems so different I'd assume it was something more complicated than just your character and all of your stuff being ported over, right?
All your poo poo carried over. So you come in at the beginning of the 2.0 MSQ with a bunch of 50s you don't know how to play.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Even in death, 1.0 still had one final "gently caress you" to players. :allears:
Legacy chocobo + paying $8 a month makes it all worth it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hey so I preordered this on the PSN ad it said I should get in for early access. However, I don't have a code for early access in any of the receipt emails. I have an order number but no other codes besides that. Is there something I'm supposed to do? I checked the link in the OP and they said it should be in the email.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I was reading the wrong section. I had thought I'd already done all I needed to do, but the new content was still locked...

On my mogstation it says I do not have a license for Heavensward yet, what's that mean?
There are no codes, if you preordered it and downloaded the DLC you can play now, it'll link to your account when you log in.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not sure what I think about Alphinaud's new VA.
Its still Sam Regal I think? He just dropped his voice a little. Its good because I no longer want to brutally destroy Alphinaud whenever he talks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lotophage posted:

After playing the Dragon Quest MMO I have decided taht keyboards are stupid and I only want to play games with my playstation controller from now on, how viable is that in FFXIV.
Insanely.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

I'm only level 40 on my main and working my way through the story. Is there any reason to purchase Heavensward now, or should I just wait until I finish up the literally eight billion main story quests I have left to go through?
Only if you wanna make a dragon girl. I don't think there's anything else you'd get out of HW until you finish Before the Fall.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mo0 posted:

Are there plans to have the relic quest continue into the expansion, or is it an entirely moot point now? Seems kind of sad for all that work to completely go by the wayside, especially with the emphasis that had on it being your one weapon that grew up alongside you.

Thanks for the advice, though, now I know what to focus on.

I was also reading, apparently 2.4 story quests are straight up dropping the i110 soldiery (?) gear as quest rewards. Looks like I picked the perfect place to stop :getin:
They said if you have a zeta relic you'll get some kind of boost on whatever the 3.1 weapon quest is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

boho posted:

Hey what's that one weird trick for making Vita Remote Play playable? Something about connecting via the internet even if your PS4 is two rooms away because the PS4's broadcast antenna is poo poo? I know it was mentioned in the old thread, but I forget the details...
You plug your ps4 into ethernet and turn off direct connection in the remote play settings, and hope your wifi isn't garbage.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I know this is a strange question, but how many of you have approached this game as something other than a MMO?
I definitely play it like its a regular FF, you gotta talk to every NPC after every quest to see what they think of whatever crazy poo poo is going on. At some points the sidestories between the incidental waking sands/rising stones npcs are more interesting than what the scions are up to. So far the HW MSQ is pulling off the tone and structure of old school FF way more successfully than the 2.0 stuff, and I'm unreasonably excited about that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Merlwyb is my friend and I love her.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anyone ever run into a situation where they consistently get a 90k2 error exactly 10 minutes after logging in? PS4 version if it matters.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Does anyone play this on the ps4? Is it possible to use my keyboard for hotkeys because anytime I try to type c to look at my character or anything like that it immediately starts typing in the chat instead.
Turn off direct chat.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Oh, wow, that's pretty lame. So my friend and I won't be playing together except for dungeons until endgame, basically?
You can play together, but you'll be splitting up pretty often to do solo stuff, annoying but you can cope with it. The game is really designed for people to be able to level at their own pace though, because unlike other MMOs if you're progressing with others you don't have to worry about staying within a level range to do group content, due to level sync and the ease of leveling alt jobs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Not sure they want to devote the time to changing and retesting the dungeon code; my only 24 so far is the labrynth of the ancients and it has that 3-hall split which requires all 3 groups to complete before going on - I'm sure there are similar mechanics throughout all the 24s that require the 3 different groups to do things
Nothing in CT needs all 24 players to be doing mechanics at the same time. Most you need is for CT1 Atomos with 4 people per pad plus I guess one guy to punch atomos, so 15? Not 100% sure how many people you need to stand on Phleg's pads though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the button to do the thing is labeled "undersized party", maybe they should change the name but that's why people call it that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sometimes a tank LB on story Garuda's phase change helps too, if the rocks get too hosed up or the healer isn't keeping up. That's the only time it's ever really appropriate in leveling content.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I haven't been able to get on, what's going on for the anniversary?
Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Rising is, you have to see it for yourself. -Morpheus

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Wasn't there a coil fight that auto crit you? I never tanked it but whenever I asked about awareness that's the only fight anyone cited.
Also Shiva, awareness is good during bow phase.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

People get too hung up on how classes worked in old FFs, as if any of the jobs in 14 function anything like they do in the other games. RDM could end up being tank, healer, or dps and they could easily make it work under the filmsy theme of "sword guy with magically themed abilities" if they felt like it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Like I've been saying, there's already a regular recurring class in Final Fantasy that is exactly what you're describing, so it'd probably be easier to introduce Mystic Knights and give them Red Mage flavoring than to add actual Red Mages and have them function at all similar to their classical nature.
Mystic knights are dumb though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

The only thing to understand is that most of these people do not actually want challenging combat versus other real players. What they want is the ability to be a complete dick to people with no real consequences.
Yeah, fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

Filthy PS4 casual player just logging in. I played this a tiny bit during 1.0, and then for a month when ARR launched. Decided to give it another try now that I have some more free time bore I begin classes again.

I have a gladiator on the Ultros server, and I'm enjoying myself - even with the janky PS4 controls. Is it worth it to do my own gathering for crafting jobs, or is it more cost effective in terms of time spent to just buy the necessary poo poo from vendors/marketplace?

I've made it through the first three story dungeons, tanking the best I could. As a new player to these dungeons, I would like to slow down sometimes. I still don't know the gimmick of the first one. One of the other players manipulated something, said "it's red", and everyone kept running. I know there's a story in there somewhere. It'd be nice to know! And I feel insecure because as the tank, everyone was following me, but I had no idea which way to go. Being on the console it's a nightmare to type messages quickly, and that compounds my insecurities.

Anyway! This game is fun and good.
That's Sastasha, there's a note in the side room near the beginning that tells you what color coral you need to touch further in to spawn the boss. The wrong corals trigger a trap.

Gamepad controls are actually really good once you get used to them, but you definitely need to invest in a bluetooth keyboard for chatting. For tanking the most important things you will need to learn is using R1+R2 to cycle target forward, and holding L1 and using d-pad up/down to navigate the threat list

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Here's the thing: all classes can do acceptable dps. MCH is one of them, and I'd say in terms of ease of getting good numbers, they're middle of the line

Based on my experience, the ease of classes to do "good" DPS is this: SMN, BLM, MNK, DRG, MCH, NIN and BRD. Without fail, ninjas and bards do the worst DPS in my random pubbie runs for DF. I don't know if it's that the class attracts a bad player type, it's underbuffed, or if it's something else. To clarify: all classes can do really good DPS if you know how to push buttons right - people that raid with bard can easily push 1400-1500 dps in EXDR (so can MCH). But in reality I'm usually getting people pushing about 700-800 for those classes.
Its because BRD is priority based instead of having some implicit class mechanic like skill combos or stack building driving its rotation, you're just going down the list and checking off procs, CDs, DoTs, and doing whichever thing most needs doing at that time. If you think about it for a little bit it coalesces into a real rotation where you know what order you have to spin your plates in and how many GCDs you have before they stop spinning, but conversely if you're the kind of person that hasn't put much thought into it its also not very obvious that you're doing something wrong. Unlike a melee class where if you use abilities out of sequence or just spam impulse drive over and over again or whatever you'd have to be a total idiot to not realize where you hosed up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Does heavensward go on sale? I can't justify paying full price for an MMO expansion right now.
The download versions occasionally go on sale, but the physical version has been $20 on Amazon for awhile now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You only need the disc if you install from the disc in the first place. Just use the code and download it from the PS Store and throw the disc away

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

It's not an illusion of choice. You have to choose the optimal configuration for each fight/dungeon/whatever. There's as much choice as there is in choosing the optimal rotation for each fight. Of course, you could dumb that mechanic down too, so there's only one ability for each class and you mash it all fight, but I'm sure you see why that logic fails.
You're just describing a horizontal progression, if there was a situation where you needed a different build for each piece of content then that just means you're going to need every build if you want to be able to access all the content, or else people are going to yell at you endlessly for not having done the very specific timesink necessary to be ~Optimal~ for this fight. Vertical progression just gives people one number to be weird about instead of nitpicking every single choice you've made and telling you how wrong and stupid you are.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

You're correct, but I'm not sure what you're criticizing here. Either method contains timesinks and either method allows rear end in a top hat players to criticize you, only the method with more variance is more fun for a lot of players and rewards player knowledge more.
Because one way means you get to play the classes you want to play, and the other means you have to play the classes other people want you to play or else not play period, because the tank you got stuck with in DF refuses to pull unless the WHM subjobs in blue mage.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kuai posted:

Is it still possible to get the maid outfits from amazon? Just started playing again.
Amazon stopped giving out codes, but codes that are out there are still valid so, idk, ask around to see if you can find one. Maybe try the video game deals thread in coupons.

Davoren posted:

Man, I never thought I'd say it but I actually miss the early days of Everquest, when no-one knew poo poo about poo poo and it actually felt like a weird new world. Maybe this is why I've never gotten into the optimisation high level play seems to demand.
That was good poo poo and I miss it too, but it can never happen again unless the nature of MMO game clients changes dramatically.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just practice quick R1 switching to a crossbar with all your pvp stuff on it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Mastering the fast r1 swap mid fight can be a bit tricky, especially if your framerate is a bit low or your trigger button is wearing out and sometimes it fails to swap back (and leaves you wondering why you just used Tornado Kick instead of Snap Punch).
Yeah I should actually say that I've trained myself to just press R1+face button to swap, because just tapping the R1 button is too context sensitive and finicky. I'm a crazy person that insists on having instant access to mounts and teleports and stuff in the open world though, so I dedicate one of my double holds to a shared bar that has all that stuff on it, meaning I guess I've always had a lot fewer buttons to work with than most people.

The way I organize it is to put all the GCDs core to my rotation on bar 1, frequently used stuff like heals/tanking skills/etc on R2->L2, less frequently used GCDs and cooldowns on bar 2, and overflow (if any) and PvP stuff on bars 3/4. Once you go fully multibar the first thing you want to do is also make some hotbars in the corner somewhere that contains everything with a cooldown, so that you can monitor your CDs without having to switch crossbars.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's something poetic about pressing both triggers to run in a Final Fantasy game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its on for over 2 weeks, and after the initial rush it'll die down and be fine, like every other seasonal event. Its not worth freaking out about.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nurge posted:

The argument about illusion of choice blah blah blah a few pages back is idiotic. Fixing that entire thing takes exactly two steps: 1) You create a system where no one sees any numbers, ever. 2) You encrypt every piece of data moving between the client and the server, hard. Bam. Problem solved. No one will ever know what is optimal. Why MMOs don't do this already boggles the mind.
Great idea, and then someone will spend an afternoon killing crabs and counting how many times you have to use a skill to kill a crab, and the next day there's a new crab based measurement system for mob HP and skill damage.

You know, kind of like how people figured out how enmity works in this game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nurge posted:

Except that you know that doesn't actually happen. All you need to do is look at vanilla WoW and the original Everquest to see how optimal solutions aren't figured out for years and years and years no matter how many people try to find them or how good they are at it if the numbers aren't given to you on a platter.
That's only because no one knew what the gently caress they were doing in Everquest since it was all so new. Its 2016 now and people have wisened up re how game mechanics work, and are just smarter and more efficient about breaking things down in general. What I described is something that has literally happened by the way, they just used water sprites instead of crabs.

e: TBH I actually think a completely opaque MMO that is undatamineable because everything is encrypted and it only serves up the decryption keys for relevant content when you're interacting with it could be a cool idea. Its just totally incompatible with the now standard MMO formula that's about being productive and clearing content over and over again, because that kind of game necessarily relies on a basis of trust between the game and player and you can't build that trust without a certain amount of transparency. That's why people are responding to you negatively cause this is the FF14 thread and FF14 would loving suck if it operated like your hypothetical game.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 6, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Leofish posted:

My wife wants to try the free trial, on the same PC I use to play my full version, but the Free Trial client is asking me to uninstall the full version of the game. Is there a way she can create a trial account without doing this? Conversely, if this does go through, will I still be able to log in to my normal, Heavensward account?

If anyone's had experience running a second free trial account, I'd appreciate the help.

E: Another Question - what about just setting up a subscription? The game's already installed on the machine. Do we really need two copies of ARR in order to have two separate accounts or can she just start paying for it, nevermind the free trial?
Did you try just logging her trial account into the regular client? IDK if that works or not. You can totally play with multiple accounts on the same install though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh yeah, you would need to buy another key, but she would get a free month off of it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

At least if you're crazy enough to be doing animus books right now, in August 2016, sometimes the fates line up line up with yokai grinding

• Locked thread