Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

catteman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

After 20 mins I'm at least in a login queue with 132 people in front of me.

edit: in.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 19, 2015

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I may or may not have paused to start blaring John Cena's theme song when I walked in to champion Tataru for the trial by combat. Also, I love that so many of the things coming up in these new quests, like the DRK first quest and in the MSQ, are solved by violence. Everyone freaks out, and then someone goes "well, you could just beat the poo poo out of these people and the problem goes away" and I just go "Finally, now someone in this game is speaking my language." It's very cathartic after the 2.55 stuff.

This is has been my favorite part of the MSQ as well, though I'm not much further than that point. There's been a handful of dumb mom quests, but they've thrown you into action scenario's pretty quickly. I really appreciated having 2 instance events in both the area intro quest lines, made it feel like a cohesive story rather than a tour. I also said "gently caress yeah, trial by combat" when you champion for Tataru.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Okay.. Au Ra female log out animation in the inn is the most fetishy thing ever. Although I doubt anyone else has seen it since most players didn't log out during Early Access.

People actually go to an inn to log out? Why?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I didn't get my stuff yet - do you have to put in your main expansion code to get that stuff?

I got my preorder bonuses this morning before putting in my code. You probably need the code for the CE items though.

I'm really digging the story so far, the XP walls are pretty heavy if you're JUST trying to go through the MSQ, but it's not too bad (grinding out a level can take a while, side quests are kind of slow, but dungeon spam and roulettes are decent). At least the quest pacing is much much better than anything 2.X had. I'm at the lvl 54 wall now, having just completed the second dungeon. So far the 2 dungeons have been great and Ravana was awesome. Loving everything so far and it looks like I'm about to be a hodgepodge of gear again as the lvl 54 gear seems to be i130+ and I'm currently in full Ironworks.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Tarranon posted:

Is excal opening at all these days? I have a pal wanting to come over

It's probably still open early in the morning and other off peak times.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah I gotta say a lot of the sidequests were frustrating and/or boring as poo poo, and there were so many of them and they each contributed so little to my XP bar. Fortunately that's all over with, but it's definitely not HW's strong suit.

Side quests are kinda weird. I'm personally trying to do them when they make sense. If I can fairly quickly go out and finish up 4-5 of them then it's worth my time, otherwise dungeons are more entertaining and you can get some good drops.

I'm only 54 though, should hit 55 tonight.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Will the DX11 client have any impact on framerate? I know it makes things prettier and in generally prettier = laggier.

I sometimes get lower frame rates, but that probably has more to do with the zones being like 10x a large than DX11 being weird.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Got Ravana story unlocked this morning. Neat cutscenes. Can't wait to tank him blind tonight :ohdear:

Try to be the OT if you can, you have a specific role and it's pretty fun.

On burning through the expansion:

I was gone for 2.5 of the EA days but I've been playing like 5-6 hours a day since and I'm lvl 55 (should hit 56 tonight) and I'm just working on the MSQ with a class I had at 50 already. I'm playing a lot more than I usually do as well (I normally play ~1 hour a day with 3 days at like 3-4 hours).

I don't know how some people have burned all through to 60, fully geared up and are working on their second 60's at this point.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 25, 2015

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I've done a decent amount of side questing and I'm hitting walls at almost every wall in the MSQ, currently working on the lvl 56-57 wall. The only bonus to the lvl 57 wall is that I can grind out Aery for that sweet tank set (the sword/shield combo is one of my favorite designs in the game so far). I left a decent amount of side quests in the lower zones I guess I could go back to, maybe I'll do that between spamming Aery.

As much as I kinda hate the way leveling to 60 is being handled, I get it and it's not literally the worst thing. The MSQ in general has been so much better in both pace and objectives this time around that I'm willing to forgive the 50-60 grind. There are still some dumb fetch quest mmo bullshit things going on, but it's much reduced. I finally got around to unlocking flying in my first zone (Churning Mists) and wow. Clearly all of the zones were designed with this in mind because traveling without flying in any of the new zones is a massive pain in the rear end and flying makes everything so much better. I can't decide if having to do the whole Aether Current thing is smart or kind of a pain, but I'm leaning towards smart since exploring on foot first makes you experience the zone as opposed to dive bombing your objective spots.

Overall I'm super happy with the expansion. I wish leveling was a little quicker, but everything else is so great that it's not a huge deal for me. So far all the new PLD skills are fantastic and really make the class more fun to play. Having more than 1 useful combo is great, the new blocking move is fun and the healing buff thing (at 56) makes for an interesting move to try and fit in to fights). Looking forward to the remainder of the skills for sure.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Vil posted:

My method:

- Do every single main and sidequest, taking the time to read all the text. While many of the sidequests are eyeroll-worthy, some of them (especially the ones with cutscenes) are actually kinda interesting/charming as mini-stories. A lot of my friends approached them simply as a barrier to hitting 60 and naturally resented them for that, but I enjoyed them more by appreciating them as another bit of Heavensward content in their own right. Level 60 wasn't going anywhere.

- Do all the clan mark hunts every day (still worthwhile considering the hunt blob murders A ranks in 2-3 GCDs). You unlock a new batch at 53, 56, and 59, with your weekly hunt unlocked at 60. You're looking at over 100k per day per tier.

- Do the heavensward sightseeing log entries - these have no time or weather requirements and have a glowy spot to identify them - in each zone once I can fly there. Each zone is 126k exactly.

- Do low level, high level, trial, and main scenario roulette each day, two or maybe three times total before hitting 60. Huge exp boost here (no big surprise), well worth the time. Plus LLDR likes to give you the new dungeons anyway.

- Run each new leveling dungeon once deliberately. (I've done more since, and they're wicked fun, but I'll be doing plenty of them on my later jobs, and those will get the 50% armory bonus which my first 60 did not get.)

- Mostly ignore fates, though I hit up a few of the achievement-rewarding ones (which also rewarded a lot of exp) if I was in the area and saw shouts for them.

I ended up hitting 60 at the beginning of the last zone, and never once hit a wall. I expect that if I'd skimped on either sidequesting or running roulettes that I would have hit a wall, however.

This is great, assuming you can spend 4+ hours a day in game. I find that if you're limited to ~2 hours it's better to do LLDR (since it usually gives you a HW dungeon), then run your highest dungeon (good xp and you can get loot), then side quest (either in between, while in queue or just if you find yourself with 20 mins to spare).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Vil posted:

Good point. I basically took a few days off work and blasted through the content (not to the point of rushing/skipping cutscenes, but definitely playing a lot). Mostly for the sake of not having to deal with assholes spoiling poo poo for me.

In an approach like that with a more sane daily time investment, I'd agree with fewer roulettes per day - among other things, the process is going to be drawn out over more days anyway. You probably don't need to throw in the deliberate highest dungeon though. (I mean, if you want to because you find it fun, great, but don't feel obligated to do it to stay ahead of the exp curve.) One LLDR a day, plus sidequesting, should still keep you on pace for 60 if you're playing 2 hours a day.

It's worth remembering that sidequest exp won't get any better on later jobs, while dungeon and fate exp will. So if there's any time when sidequests are most relatively rewarding, it's on the first 60.

This is true, I may take the time off the MSQ to go back and wrap up my side quests in other areas then. I personally like dungeon running (especially Aery since I really want the set from there) since the XP is pretty good and it feels a bit more like playing the game vs. the fetch nature of many of the side quests.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

BERGfu posted:

In each zone I found if you focus on trying to get flying before hamming through the side quests you have a much better experience. There's enough quests and other stuff to carry you though level caps in the next zone.

The problem with unlocking flying is that 1) It's not available to you when you're first hitting the zone (when the side quests are most useful) and 2) It takes a good chunk of time to do. The time thing is solved by sucking it up, but if you're on for like 1-2 hours and still trying to hit 60, the last thing you want to do is spend an hour finding all the aether currents and side quests that unlock them. Not that I think how they've handled unlocking flying is horrible by any means, it's just so painfully obvious the zones were designed with it in mind and trying to do anything in them before you have it feels like you're wasting your time.

Contest Winner posted:

A lot of the quests are really dull, but I think that they really feel bad because 35k towards 2.5 million or whatever can feel like a paltry reward for bouncing all over the map. I kind of think they could have had biggef rewards on average, then they could have cut some of the more pointless quests so they could maintain the experience gaps they wanted. They didn't bother me personally too much, because I'm only going to have to do them once ever, if this game had regular alts Ala wow or something I'd probably be turned off from playing any.

Also maybe I'm a real idiot and i missed it but I don't think they give you a bracelet upgrade throughout the entire leveling process.
This is the biggest part for me, 40k for a quest at 58 isn't all that tempting. The best way to do them is to grab as many as you can at a time so you can do 5-6 in one area, then go turn in for 200k or so. A dungeon run is probably about the same XP/hour wise if your'e grouping side quests efficiently.

I don't think there's a bracelet from a quest, but if you manage to get to 50 without one of the dungeons throwing something that at least beats out Aug. Ironworks I don't know how you managed. The dungeons vomit accessory pieces.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Truga posted:

I got to 60 on my non-aug ironworks bracelet, which I then replaced with a law one to get my ilevel to 145 and get exdr unlocked :v:

Dang, you're pretty unlucky! I've had to turn down so many bracelets in The Vault, if only I could get the hands/feet to drop...

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I think I mentioned this earlier, but man the new PLD skills make the class so much fun to play! It was starting to get pretty stale after playing it for so long (I knew it was simple and wanted to learn tanking), but the new skills make it way more interesting.

Sheltron - sweet animation, love the short CD and it's useful in both mob pulls and boss fights
Goring Blade - sweet animation, gives PLD a DPS 1-2-3, adds trying to keep it up while maintaining threat
Divine Veil - I'm still getting used to this one, but it's pretty great for boss battles, I try to pop it right before a party wide AoE when everyone gathers up.
Clemency - Another healing skill, great to use on occasion. I try to watch for the healer taking big hits and hit them with it
Royal Authority - Haven't gotten this yet, but I hear good things

We got another codlin, a new combo (I believe Royal Authority makes it 2 new combos) and some healing aspects (finally). There's just so much more to think about/do, rather than just 1-2-3-Repeat. Way to go SE.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I played halfway through a Vault last night with a MCH I kept losing aggro to, figured everyone was just playing them wrong and this guy was some sort of wizard at it, but then I realized I didn't have Shield Oath on.

Is it a new bug that Shield Oath is taken off ANY time you get level synced?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I don't think a lot of the classic FF classes people are asking for make much sense in this game. People keep asking for Samurai and I don't know what the point of one would be at this point, I don't know how they'd make it different enough from either Dark Knight as a tank or Ninja as a DPS to make it worth having.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

rock2much posted:

Anyone else miss skill chaining and bursting? Maybe not the way it was in 11 if it makes it to 14 but I did like coordinating special attacks.

FFXIV is not not will it ever be FFXI. So can we please stop wishing/hoping/reminiscing about stuff form that game making it into this one?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Man, being on vacation this week is gonna kill me once I get back Wednesday...gonna be so behind! I just hit 60 the night before I left!

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Minrad posted:

No rush man. No weekly poetics to cap on and no Alexander lockouts for two more weeks.
Isn't Alexander normal this Tuesday? I've gotten lucky with drops and I'm i143 and still have to do all the lvl 60 MSQ stuff, so catching up shouldn't be too hard.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

So what's everyone guess for the ilvl on Esoterics (AF2) gear? with Alex normal at i190 I would guess at least matching that. I'm hoping they're going to follow the upgrade path as well and be upgradeable to i200 and be dyeable without the insane method for getting dyeable AF1/

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

190 and upgrade to 200, with Alex HM giving i200 gear would make sense.

Not sure what FF6 Raid 1.0 will give though. Maybe i190 since it'd be better than the lesser tomestone stuff and ultimately worse than esoterics and alex gear due to a lack of an i200 upgrade.

I would imagine the new CT tier raid would maintain the "as good as the base high tome gear pre upgrade" pairing, so i190 would make sense if that's where Esoterics come in as a base. What would be interesting about that is that you'd then have 3 sets of gear at 190, and if the highest is 200, gear optimization could get fun.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

What is it? Skill speed major parry minor?
Yup: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/9e405e9a38c/

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Finally unlocked EXDR last night, the 2 dungeons are fun, I've got my first 2 law pieces (sword and shield) too, now to actually go unlock hunts so I can upgrade I guess.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

For anyone out there still leveling between 50-60, go to the forgotten knight and start unlocking hunts. One star ranks start at 53 iirc and are worth around 150k experience and 15 seals a day right off the bat. You can unlock 2 and 3 star along the way and your weekly elite at 60. The experience from hunts is helpful in leveling.

Yeah, I really should have unlocked them sooner, oh well.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's it.

I really wish they gave a small stat boost for it or something, seems so silly to spirit bond non convertible gear.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I'm really looking forward to getting my ilvl back up, I have all these sweet new combos to use but I barely get to use them except on bosses because I can lose aggro fairly quickly to the DPS are really unloading.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is there an option to lock the PS4 version to 30fps? I'm not a fan of variable framerates.

I believe there's just a setting to cap the framerate. It'll still drop when/if it needs to.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

ghostinmyshell posted:

The only allowed provoke macros involve getting Sempai to notice you.

This.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

After 19 Aery runs I finally had the tank chest piece drop for me, I am pretty now: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/7575334/

I have the legs/skirt too but the greaves are too sweet to cover up like that.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Man, the new AF2 PLD set seems loaded up with Parry! The full set (with sword/shield):

At i200/i210
STR: 501/544
ACC: 176/193
CRIT: 147/163
DET: 170/188
SS: 63/70
VIT: 524/576
Parry: 220/241

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

weapon has always taken three weeks, it took three weeks to zenith your relic, three weeks to get a soldiery weapon, and three weeks to get a poetics weapon

it's actually cheaper than the soldiery and poetics (990 vs. 1300) and doesn't require a dumb raid currency to boot

Yeah, the weapons are way better this time around.

I'm debating if I want to go for the sword/shield first or grab some leftside (chest/pants) first...I know the sword makes the most sense but new visuals are always tempting, even if I'm fearing the PLD set will look way too big.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Anyone else having some really bad connection issues? It's insanely laggy for me right now.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I'm fighting the urge to pick up the Eso PLD chest this week instead of the sword. I know weapons are the best upgrade, but pretty pretty dress up! I'm not doing Savage at all and haven't started normal Alex yet (though I will be this week) so I know it doesn't REALLY matter other than making it slightly easier on me if I get paired up with DPS that get their weapon next week.

I'm thinking of doing chest > sword > shield > pants > gloves > boots > head. Since We PLD's can get the sword in 2 weeks, I'd only really be a week behind the fastest DPS in getting my i200 weapon.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

As a PLD, I don't mind never reap really. EXDR gives me the other one like 75% of the time so I'm usually just happy I got something different. I can see how it'd be annoying if you were a BLM or something though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I force upgraded my PC to Windows 10 this morning because I've read that the game runs fine and that's all I use my Windows Partition for. Everything seems good so far and I actually seem to have gained some framerate. I run 2560x1440 Max and was getting ~50fps and now I'm getting ~60, so around +10 (I'm running a gtx 970).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Playing around with ReShader and SweetFX is fun:

The DoF stuff straight up murders your frame rate and does a fairly crap job of guessing what should have blur, so I play with it off. It is a ~8 fps hit to run the color and sharpness corrections though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Paladins are kind of in a bad place right now. They have the weakest DPS, which is important for pushing new content. They have the least useful debuff, considering that most of the damage you have to worry about is magic, and it's a significant DPS loss to apply it. Most of their new abilities are underwhelming - Sheltron has proved to be useless for anything but mitigating auto-attacks, Divine Veil is finicky to use and doesn't make a huge difference, and Clemency's cast time is too long for emergency use and using it for anything else is just saving your healers a little bit of MP. The only thing paladins have going for them over the other two tanks is that they're tougher to take down, but that's not very valuable in the current paradigm.

I think paladins really need some love.

Of the 3 tanks, PLD does feel a little left behind in a lot of ways. We got 2 new combo's to use but they don't build aggro well (or at all) and we still have no AoE damage. Not that it's unplayable by any means (I main PLD still and haven't had any issues clearing stuff, though I've only done normal Alexander). I wish I could trigger Divine Veil with Clemency and I wish Clemency had a short cast time and slightly lower MP cost. I love the 2 new combos but it'd be nice to see some buffs in our AoE threat generation. I've done Alex2 a few times now with a DRK and WAR and it's so much easier for them to hang on to/steal groups of mobs it seems.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

drat, now I feel bad for playing PLD...thematically it's my favorite tank still and I've yet to have anyone shame me for playing in game or anything.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Bland posted:

You know I thought when they doubled the drops in Alexander I'd no longer having any problems with the system but after 8 runs of A3 today between 3 parties and nothing to show for it I think I'm about to burn down the server.
I had great luck last week (my first week of clearing) got a belt, accessory and then 1/2 for the head and hand pieces. Only had to run A2 3 times for my accessory piece. I imagine this week will be more annoying since I'll be aiming for more specific drops rather than whatever the hell.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I fantasia'd into a mooncatte because my midlander was starting to get a bit stale. While the animations are much more lively, the ears (how they make a lot of hair look) and how males stand with a really weird posture are starting to bother me. I thought about going Au Ra but I'm not sold on being that big either...life is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Wonder Turbine posted:

Think I found your problem.

I played as a female char for a while but it started to just feel a little weird when I spend so much time on playing dress up (the real endgame).

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Other races have at least one flaw, potatoes are flawless. Shed your excess height and come back to the chosen people.

IMO, all the races have their flaws. In general I think it's pretty clear they spent more time on the female's in this game, haha.

Hyur: Midlanders are kind of boring, their animations lack personality. Highlanders are pretty great but the males start having the build of humans in WoW which isn't a good thing.
Elezen: Stiff animations and they have giraffe necks, it's also hard to make a guy that doesn't look like an evil douche or a literal child.
Roe: Females are pretty great, dudes are cool but being so large makes movement seem slow and a lot of gear looks weird as hell on them (lol AF2 DRG)
Lala: Hilarious, but it's hard to take a potato person seriously as the Warrior of Light.
Cattes: Great animations, plenty of personality. Males have a weird posture when you look at it. Ears make a lot of hair styles look odd, nightmares imagining them bald
Au Ra: Ladies are dragon catgirls, but they're well designed. Dudes are giant, and take the anime aesthetic to an extreme.

Might try out a 3 pack and give Lala and AuRa a try...such a waste of my money.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 6, 2015

• Locked thread