Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

Remember to switch from DX9 to DX11 if your system supports it in the launcher config.

If you're not sure, run the benchmark.

My body is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Mikemo Tyson posted:

My original plan was to tank as a gladiator but then I was thinking of being a bard before I saw how ugly their armor looked on guy characters.

What? Bard gear looks awesome on my Highlander male!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Rei_ posted:

i've been running vault all evening and let me tell you if i can pull aggro off you as MCH, you are loving something up

I ran Vault earlier tonight on my DRG and a MCH and I kept pulling aggro from a DRK. He took a ton of dmg too while tanking bosses, not sure what was going on.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Ineptitude posted:

I too am trying to get onto a high pop server (excalibur? the goon server). Is the server transfer guaranteed to work or is it too affected by the restrictions?

I am not sure what they are thinking with restricting servers, im not going to play the game if i cannot play with goons. Glad i am only on the trial so far and not paid any money.

Try making a character right after the server comes up this morning. You should be able to get in.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

It's myth chest vs zenith all over again, get your weapon first if you want to help out your entire party. Get your chest first if you don't give a poo poo and want it first, just don't post about it being the right choice.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

gently caress yes I got on Excalibur with a new character.

Good job! It's worth it to play with such a large community.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

effectual posted:

So I spent another 20 bucks so I could actually start playing, what's the best class for a newb? Should I fart around leveling multiple classes at the same time or focus on 1 at a time?

Stick to one class until you unlock your chocobo. That is level 20 in the story.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Skies of Arcadia is the best FF ever made.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

As someone who plays a human I agree that it is just like ordering the best flavor at the ice cream shop

gently caress yeah

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Farts posted:

I pre-ordered and got a physical copy of Heavensward awhile ago, quit playing, came back, started playing again but I also had a pre-order bonus code for early access (which I never used because I was nowhere near the minimum level for the content).

Today, I go to apply the code on my account and it says invalid (I put the code in to their preorder webpage to get the actual pre-order bonus item code).

Contacted support, they said that since my base copy was purchased on Steam, the code will not work and I need to contact Steam for any pre-order bonus purchase questions.

Is that their code for saying I am poo poo out of luck? (Seeing as how I don't think I can pre-order something that's already been released) I am still not high enough to access the Expansion and the box is still sealed so I guess I will eBay it.

If you bought the base game on steam every expansion will need to also be purchased from steam.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

The DX 9 and 11 clients use the same textures don't they? The DX11 will just use a different rendering pipeline, but if the input is the same the output will be just as low resolution. I have noticed some oddly low resolution things as well, I'm guessing they're really old assets from 1.0 or something? Or maybe some setting is wrong under graphics.

If they were old assests from 1.0 they would look better and kill your framerate.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought 1.0 had silly polygon counts not textures?

They did have insane polygon counts, they also had pretty nice textures on most things too.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is it easy to get the prisms for transmogging gear?

Glamours, yes they're easy to get. You buy the clear ones and craft the ones you need, or buy them from the market board already made.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

seiferguy posted:

DGKK is considered more laid back and is all about glamours. We're like the BYOB of goon FCs.

DGKK has a hard-on for themselves and likes to tell new players that PBC is not a fun place to be.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Here's the truth about (PBC | DGKK | TPT)

- It is full of people to play and chat and have fun with :)
- It is full of people who will drive you utterly mad :(

This is 100% accurate with goon guilds in every game. The most fun and the least fun people to play with all under the same roof.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

kafziel posted:

How do you Black Mage in it? I've never been able to land two casts on a person, and usually one only if I got them by surprise.

Stand above people, hang out in groups, or use the limit break when it's up and wreck people. You're going to be pretty worthless on your own but if you move well and know when you can get off a cast you'll do a great amount of dmg to people.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

^^^ DO that for sure, you want to stick with one combat class until you unlock your chocobo, it'll make everything else faster.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I just started the trial for this so let me get this straight: I can be any class/job on my character and switch whenever I want??

As long as you aren't in an instance or in combat you can be whatever you want whenever you want to.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

So does it just take FOREVER to get allied seals now since you don't get them from HW hunts (afaik) and even if you do, no one seems to do A/S ranks.

Just gotta do daily/weekly bills I guess.

I stopped doing them about a week or two ago but the S ranks were killed pretty quickly at late night/morning hours eastern time when I play.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Klungar posted:

Ok, that makes it even worse. No free AF gear anywhere to give you at least the stereotypical Job look for glamouring? Super lame.

You have the free AF for glamouring from level 45-50 job quests. AF2 gear was the good gear at 2.0 release and you needed to buy that with Myth tomes the same way you're buying lvl 60 AF with Eso Tomes. So until you farmed up enough tomes over the weeks to kit yourself out in AF2 you didn't have a stereotypical job look in 2.0 because the glamour system wasn't in place yet, and the other gear you wore at the time was darklight and it looked like poo poo besides the tincan tank.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Doublestep posted:

unironically want world pvp in ffxiv

Adding duels or a world pvp area would be awesome. It'll never happen but I would love it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

At 22:49 PST, I was able to create an alt on Excalibur.

If you need to create a character on that server, might be a good time to take care of it now.

You could make one almost all week man. Dead game!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I may have to sex change to a female for butt window.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dross posted:

Finally got into Excalibur! Excited to check this out.

Welcome, and remember to ask people to craft you sets of gear instead of blowing a bunch of gil on the AH every few levels. Goons are almost always willing to help with things like that.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dross posted:

Am I handicapping myself by playing with a controller? Being able to sit comfortably is very appealing.

Not really, I'm sure the super hardcore raiders hate controller players because they hate everything but you can play the game well once you get either control scheme down.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Unguided posted:

Strawberry Panties gave me an invite to the GMs' sex dungeon.

"You must be a real hit at parties"

So at parties do you pick out someone in the room and follow them uncomfortably close all night until you're kicked out?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Shaquin posted:

My buddy wants me to play this with him but he's on Balmung. Is it literally just insurmountable as far as creating a character there being impossible goes?

Your best bet is to be awake at the end of maintenance and make one right after the servers come up. Save the appearance data for the look you want in advance so you'll be ready to create at that time before the window closes again.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Granbar posted:

Yo. I hit level 50 a few months before Heavensward hit and didn't play any more than that. Now I've bought HW and installed it etc. Looks like I'm on the main scenario quest You Have Selected Regicide. When can I do HW stuff? Do I have to finish every quest up to #100 as listed here: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests ? All I want is to make a Machinist!

E: Can't even do the trial in my current quest cus my IL is only 48, and I need 54. :downs:

You need to finish all of the MSQ content up to HW yes. Buy some gear to get to ilvl 54, it will be super cheap. If you're on Excal I'll buy it for you from the HW area vendors if you need help.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Granbar posted:

Cool! I'm on Excal and in DGKG. Got about 292k moneys. I'm a SMN/SCH, any suggestions for gear to buy?

What is your name in game? I'll log on and get you vendor gear before I go to bed, it's pretty good.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Granbar posted:

Awesome. Name's Maximum Planck.

You'll look like an ugly jester in the gear but it will work well, I hope it helps.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

i rolled a thaumaturge on some other server just to gently caress around with and try out combat

this game owns

Thaumaturge is prolly the most boring to level up too, it owns at high levels though so at least take it up to unlocking swiftcast.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

You get a race change potion after a month of sub time, right?

Yes.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/help/option_service/veteran_rewards/

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Potato Jones posted:

There's also Halatali.

Edit: Wait, is Qarn optional, too?

Yeah, he will need to side quest for Halatali it is needed to rank up in GC and gives seals for his bird.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I feel bad for everyone in DGKK and TPT that never got to meet Gong Way.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I use my mouse lefty too, which complicates the switch even further (not to mention eliminating anything but the most basic 2-button mice)

Steelseries has some mice with two extra buttons on the side for lefty users.

Edit: also mouse wheel clicks so that's another button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

TheHeadSage posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only Duskwright Elezen on the entire Elemental data centre, because I've never run into another one.

Looks nicer than the pale ones.

• Locked thread