Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wolpertinger posted:

If you're on excalibur, DGKK (or at least me and a few other people in DGKK) make a regular point to not only do cutscene-friendly goon runs of praetorium for brand noobs who want it, but do it ilvl synched, which not only synchs character level, but ilvl - all the way down to ilvl /42/ - so the bosses actually live for more than five seconds and you have to pay attention to mechanics. This /massively/ enhances the experience for the Nero, Gaius, and Ultima fights the first time around - Ultima is an incredibly cool and fun fight ilvl synched.

If you can hop in on one of these sometimes you might enjoy it a lot more the second time around - even after having seen it once duty finder style, several people who came in to help newbies do it had a blast seeing it 'for real'.

I only just came back to the game after 1.5+ years, but I'd totally be up for doing this if you're around sometime today, ImpAtom (though I think I'm in PBC, not DGKK). Its a shame praetorium doesn't work with randoms, because its genuinely a kickass "JRPG final dungeon" when done "properly". I'm almost always down for running it.

It'd be a good way to readjust to one of my jobs too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Percelus posted:

the single greatest racial mystery of eorzea imo is why hyur highlander men don't have eyebrows by default

Funniest thing about coming back was realizing/remembering that my character's eyebrows were tattooed on.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Countblanc posted:

dang does no one here play male roedygan, or male characters at all

I do! I'm a real man's Hyur.

Actually, more often than not, you can barely see me under the Best BLM Glamour Ever.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 31, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does that hat not have an eyepatch?! All the good BLM hats I knew of had eyepatches.

Nope, its just a good old Vanya caster hat dyed yellow.

Also, having just done the big 2.5(?) series of cutscenes where it tells you to set aside plenty of time to watch....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK :ohdear: :argh: :smith:

I want to kill so many people.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ibblebibble posted:

Just finished the 2.5 storyline and got to Ishgard.

:stare:

Yeah just did that myself a few days ago. HW is pretty good so far.

I'm sad about all the voice actors changing though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, I just looked around at a few obvious places (amazon, iTunes, Googleplay, SE's own websites) and I can't find a digitial version of the sountrack(s). Well, except for iTunes, where you have to buy the album by the song, and $1.29 per song. No thanks.

That is dumb, and disapointing

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lemon-Lime posted:

New Urianger is fine but Merlwyb is 100% a downgrade. :(

Worst thing is they didn't find an actress with a good Welsh accent. It's a U.K. studio now, yeah?

Or am I the only one who thinks the Roe names like Merlwyb seem Welsh based?

Wait did the localization team change too?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

2 for 2 on video game Welsh pirates who don't sound Welsh.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Please take this Linkpearl, that we might communicate even when separated.
*does some quests*
RING RING
Pray return to the walking sands that we might discuss what has occurred with the Scions.

I guess Minfillia got the basic model Linkshell that can't do conference calls.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wasn't there an a very minor plot point somewhere that someone had derailed plans to instal an aether crystal in Vesper Bay just to gently caress with the Scions?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Funny thing is "Galaga" could probably pass for a Lalafell name. :v: Too bad I'm a Highlander.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is Palace of the Dead something that tends to be soloed or group effort? Can I bring my chocobo if solo?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Leal posted:

3.0 Hildibrand is starting off pretty good.

but... Godbert is wearing clothes. :confused:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Brainamp posted:

You will dump literal millions of gil into teleporting fees over the course of the game.

I kind of wish there was a stat screen that kept track of how much gil you've spent on teleports.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Leofish posted:

What does this person event want? Like, they got kicked from PvP for AFKing and they're asking for the rules governing the minimal amount of participation in order to get the rewards? Like, do they just want some wolf marks and lore?

Probably wants to know the minimum so he can just do the minimum.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I finished The Vault during the HW MSQ tonight. A smile befits a hero. :gbsmith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just tried Bismark HM for the first time and the DF group fell apart after the second wipe because the tanks and the healers started arguing about pulling the serpents apart, cleric stance, not needing to jump off in HM, etc etc.

It'd be funny if I didn't need that for story progress. Oh well, I'll get another group.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Some people are so bad they constantly look for faults in others to make excuses.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I'm going to hit BLM60 tomorrow, my first 60. What are my options for gearing up modestly before slamming my face into all the various content? I assume the easiest would be having gear crafted, but what else is there?

Also, I thought I finally found a new hat for my "Classic BLM" glamour, but uh, no.

Someone used too much starch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

homeless snail posted:

At the very least you should play a couple rounds of frontlines to get a 235 weapon, because every other source for decent weapons in this expansion is a huge pain in the rear end. You can get the rest of the 235 set there if you want to play quite a bit more pvp beyond that, but lore gear is pretty easy to get so you shouldn't have much trouble with armor as long as you're doing roulettes and 60 dungeons.

Also try Doctore's Hat

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Consider Vanya Hat of Casting.

PVP for Garo gear is decent, have a look and see if you can afford the 250 weapon on the MB. If you are on Excal, go pester the goon guilds for freebies.

Not a fan of MMO PvP, but we'll see I guess.

And yeah, been rocking a Vanya hat since the Augmented AF came out (granted I unsubbed until recently).

Doctores hat was also something I considered but decided I liked the band above the brim. Oh yeah I also didn't like the rough woven textures.

Love my glamour though. I get comments on it surprisingly often. Usually comparisons to Vivi, which amuses me cause I never played FF9 and just had "classic Black Mage" in mind and was also inspired by Lalai from the BLM quest line.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 7, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

While Flare is legit great and satisfying, it's not Deathflare, which is superior, and it's not Assize, which is the actual best skill in the game in real terms.

The answer is to just give us Megaflare. I'll also accept Ultima or Comet/Meteo(r).

BLM AoE: Talk, as someone about to hit 60, how does Enochian fit into this AoE cycle? Does it not?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 7, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By the way, does the Bloodstorm trailers and other teaser materials contain spoilers for the Heavensward+3.X patches MSQ? I've been avoiding them just in case, but I'm kinda curious.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Going back to gearing up at 60 on my BLM... I got 10 silver feathers as part of the returner thing. Is it worth using them on a i230 weapon, body and pants?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For some reason I'm half tempted to get an apartment even though its kinda pointless.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

resubbed after a long break

omg i can vendor directly from retainers inventory

I don't think I could've faced the mess that was my retainer inventories without that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Does the Manacutter remind anyone else of an Arwing from Starfox?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You guys are making Dun Scathe sound far worse than Crystal Tower.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Does it at least have opportunities for fun like THE BONE ZONE or a Goon group going in without job crystals equipped and still doing better than pubbies?

Man, I've got so much to catch up on. I never did WoD, most of coil, etc

At least I cleared 3.0 HW's main story last night. Ascalon was a fun if chaotic fight

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I get comments on my "classic" Black Mage outfit, but not my hotness. Not surprising though given you can barely see my character under the robe and hat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gammatron 64 posted:

The only XI \ XIV merch I ever see are plushies of Goblins \ Mandragoras \ Carbuncle which are nice and all but I don't collect plushies. I like figures and statues and posters and stuff.

Start looking for these then. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Where? Where do I find those?

Japan. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Countblanc posted:

pictured: my character on his sick new bike

Funny thing is, despite having airships and such, incidental dialogue by NPCs in Ul'dah suggests bicycles are unknown to Eorzea. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rhix posted:

Hiding bars out of combat and better proc notifications are a couple things I really would love to see.

I actually replaced my normal "draw/sheath" hotkey with one that activates a hidden macro button that not only toggles battlemode, but toggles my hotbars on and off. Of course, it doesn't work perfectly since it can get out of synch.

My job buttons and other misc commands (mounts, minions, teleport, etc) are toggle on and off by macro buttons as well.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 14, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, after 3-4 days of effort and burning through about a hundred leve allowances, I got Botanist and Miner to level 50. Time to figure out all this collectable junk. Any advice on taking these from 50-60?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Someone told me collectables were better than leves for leveling, but maybe not as fast I guess? I was kinda hoping to let the leves regen for leveling (a) crafting job(s).

[edit] And yeah, Gear was a bit of a concern, figure there was no sense paying for good poo poo until level 60. Though its not like I CAN pay for good poo poo, I've only got a bit under 2mil. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah. I'd already stumbled into collecting a couple each of old world figs and yellow copper. 60k a pop wasn't too bad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The 51 set? Is that the same one you can get from the moogles (mythrite/Archaeoskin)? How DO you unlock the moogle beatsman quests? I heard they were DoL/DoH centric, do you need a high level crafting job? Or is it some of the generic quests I've ignored need to be done first? Just looked it up, you gotta do a LOT of quests.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 16, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The bad thing about SMN in FFXI was having to fight the primals avatars to get the summon, a fight that normally required a party.

Well, not entirely bad. I made a lot of money soloing avatars as a RDM/NIN for would-be SMNs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

On the other hand, it was a really cool idea and I enjoyed doing it even if it wasn't an especially realistic thing to achieve.

It was a cool idea, in a FFXIV it'd probably be a single-person duty instance with maybe a NPC helper. But as a full party thing it was rather unfortunate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I mained RDM and SMN in FFXI.

Whats up fellow Chapaeu bro. :respek: I'm so looking forward to RDM in FFXIV, if only because I'll actually get to use a sword and not just carrying around a set of elementally themed staves. Very glad that 14 RDM looks to be nothing like FFXI RDM. I eventually grew to hate being nothing but a glorified MP battery and enfeeble bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ImpAtom posted:

I admit with RDM I'm mostly curious how the white magic aspect plays into it. If it's a DPS with healing potential or something that sounds really fun, if white mage is "you have HOLY stab and AERO stab" then meh.

I suspect it might be like how I have Physick sidejobed on my BLM. "oh poo poo, the healer is afk/just got clobbered. time to save the day *throws a lovely cure*"

• Locked thread