Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I always just referenced the dungeon readthroughs before tanking a new dungeon/trial here: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons

Between that and just letting the party know, "Hey, first time tanking here, so if you have any tips, let me know," I've been fine. Note the readthroughs there are not great for savage/ex content, but for most regular stuff it should do you fine if you hate tutorial videos like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Regarding the story of FFXIV, I rushed through it and skipped nearly all of the cutscenes in the last days of ARR / pre-Heavensward months trying to get to 50 and get familiar with the mechanics and style of the game so I would be a better player for HW. This developed into a bad habit and I ended up skipping most of the cutscenes through HW as well. As I came to learn about the actually rich lore and story of the game through FC chat, the small bits I picked up in areas I didn't or could skip, etc.. I felt like I had kind of cheated myself in a way. I have since gone back and watched many of the cutscenes I skipped, and read a lot of info about the story and lore of the game, but found that slowing down and taking the story cutscenes in as I play (in the 3.x patches at least), as they were presumably designed to be watched, provides a better experience.

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't expect the story to be good, and it turned out being a rich part of the game's fabric that I often find enriches my playing experience, especially given my long history with FF games and the fact that I really enjoy learning game lore. If you enjoy game lore, JRPG stories, or have a history with FF and are okay with some tropes and inconsistent writing early on, I would recommend you at least give the story a chance before skipping it like I did or using a skip potion.

This isn't a comment/judgement on skip potions - though I wouldn't use one, I do think they're probably good for the game as a whole, and they're great for people that don't give a gently caress about the story and just want to push buttons with friends. I just think giving the story a chance up to a certain point before deciding to skip might prevent others from experiencing the sort of twinge of regret I found myself in when I discovered the story and lore was much better than that I had found in prior MMOs.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I can't disagree with that generally. Imo, 2.0 isn't bad, story wise, though it is inconsistent and drags at times - I regret skipping through it greatly because it does provide a lot of backstory and introduces the folks who become major players as the game goes on.

2.x is probably the only part I would say is bad, but even it has its moments. The issue there, is as so many people have already said, is that it is way longer than it needs to be and was generally developed as filler for the 2 years between AAR and HW, with little thought given to what would happen to those quests when HW launched. Making a lot of this optional sidequests (or just ripping the guts out of some of the interim fetching stuff I seem to remember) would be ideal. Hildibrand would be the one major exception to this in the 2.x time period, but it's already a sidequest, so.

3.0 story was grand, and I absolutely regret skipping my way through it. 3.x continued that level of quality, imo. Even the 3.x sidequest lines (Scholasticate / Hildi) were great.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

2+ hours for ldr, once you get to 60 and you need to queue for specific dungeons for quest reasons those probably won't be longer than an hour. This is my guess. Although if everyone just goes to potd, ldr might not be so bad.

This is about my #1 reason for thinking I might do SB story and initial leveling as PLD, and then level RDM second. It's basically the same reason that I started the game as a Arcanist thinking I would go Summoner, but my first level capped character was Scholar. Long queues blow when you're excited to be leveling a certain thing. They're not so bad later once you have all the content ungated and can putter around gathering or something.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

vOv posted:

Getting a random chance to get XP gains based off FATEs would be such a mindfuckingly bad idea.

Why? I would think it would encourage people to level by playing the story quests, or by doing other open world activities, as you can always pop into a nearby FATE and possibly come out with a xp buff. Seems like they're trying to bring the open world XP gain up to the same tier as grinding dungeons / potd. Plus, it would also help when leveling additional characters.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

I never actually played during 1.0, so I would, if only for the experience of seeing what it was like. The whole fact that 1.0-1.x was a thing that happened and is now just gone is an interesting, if likely bad part of the story of FFXIV and I'd enjoy trying it out even for a little bit if it were possible.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Currently playing a White Mage but based on what I'm hearing I was thinking about switching, but does anyone have any good guides on how to play Astrologian? Picked it up once I got to the Heavensward content, but it's so complicated, especially since they just kind of thrust you into it.

I don't know of any guides, but imo, AST isn't too bad to play (at least for a relatively casual player like myself). So long as you do some dungeons while you're leveling, you should pick up the nuances pretty quickly. Some tips, though: As noted, you'll need to remember what the cards do both when played and when royal roaded. That's the biggest new thing to get use to, and you can weave your card stuff between gcds.

Benefic and Helios don't change with sect (aside from the casting speed bonus or potency bonus of each sect), and they're basically your Cure and Medica I, respectively.

In Diurnal Sect, AST plays more like a WHM:
Aspected Benefic = Regen + a small up front Cure, and
Aspected Helios = Medica II

In Nocturnal Sect, AST plays more like a SCH:
Aspected Benefic = a better Adloquium
Aspected Helios = Succor

Edit: also remember that Aspsected Benefic is insta-cast, so you can cast it on the move or on the tail end of another cast. I regularly throw Aspected Benefic after a Benefic to add potency and get the shield/regen effect on someone that needed more healing than a single Benefic.

In 8 man content, use the sect that opposes your other healer, so Diurnal if the other healer is a SCH or a Nocturnal AST, Nocturnal if the other healer is a WHM or Diurnal AST. In 4 man content, use whichever you prefer. Some folks like Diurnal, some like Nocturnal. I personally prefer Diurnal, because I throw Aspected Benefic on the tank, Cleric Stance, and Gravity away.

Some of the later flash the AST gets is great for extending their buffs (Time Dilation, Celestial opposition) both of which add time to buffs you put on people (stack the tank with a Bole, Synastry, Aspected Benefic, Aspected Helios then drop Time Dilation and Celestial Opposition on them and don't worry about healing them for like a minute). Collective Unconscious combines the SCH and WHM ground placement abilities into a regen + damage reduction bubble, but you have to channel it - its great when you know a big raid damage effect is coming - toss the shield up and protect your bros.

Edit: also remember to use your refresh - Lumniferous Aether - as able. I like to CS and DPS so I often find myself dragging the bottom of the mp barrel but the refresh helps. You can also fish yourself up a Ewer card if you have to have more Gravity.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 13, 2017

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Logicspren posted:

Everything is changing soon, but currently the Aspected Benefic shield is more powerful than Adloquium unless Adlo critically heals.

What about the total heal + shield for Aspected Benefic vs Adloquium? In that case, I was under the impression that Aldo was still on top, but I'll admit, as a filthy casual, I may have been wrong (and I could have worded my advice more clearly).

Edit: edited my prior post to reflect the posts below responding to this question. Praise be to the keepers of the sacred AST knowledge.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 13, 2017

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Jinh posted:

If you wanna test me, just Duty Find

All the things Smith teach ya is sure to treat ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

nuru posted:

These notes don't mention Doom Train so why do we care about anything at all?

They don't put story spoilers in the patch notes, dummy.

• Locked thread