Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Either bosses turn due to a fixed mechanic, or because your tank is moving for a specific reason. If it's turning at random your tank is either losing aggro or moving when they don't need to. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Let me tell you about my zero damage fell cleaves on Cruise Chaser.

There have been so many too. :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Leal posted:

Or a tornado kick and seeing a big 0! pop up.

You don't Tornado Kick during limit cut because it's possible to keep GL stacks if you :gitgud:

(hitting for 0 damage during limit cut lets you refresh GL and buffs/dots)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I'm glad Y'shtola and Alisaie are dead.

The cast neeeded to make room for Hamon Holyfist.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Firstborn If you're just getting into the game now, the smart thing to do would probably be to test out different classes and figure out most importantly which role you like; tanking, healing, or damage.

Then if you can afford it, I would probably buy a story skip / level boost potion to get you up to Stormblood so you can play with other people.

This is some of the worst advice I've ever seen in this thread.

If they like the game they should go through the story and enjoy it. If they don't like the story they should consider playi something else entirely unless they have zero interest in story and only play to run content with a group of friends and specifically want to run this games content.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Haha gently caress you people never stop do you

MMOs are games to play with friends, and your friends are all going to be leveling and doing samurai redmagey cool poo poo in ala mhigo and doma and you're stuck asking for tam tara runs with them. Play enough of the game to make sure you'll like it and the class you pick, then get the potions and go back and do this poo poo later if you want. When everything has calmed down and there's no more new stuff to do in SB the people you want to play with will be happy to do it.

And I know you fuckers are going to come in with "I'LL RUN THOUSAND MAWS EVEN ON SB LAUNCH DAY" no you loving won't, and you know it.

Except the only other person they mention playing with would also be new to the game and one of the reasons they didn't stick with it before was because they felt bombarded with things, a jump potion would only magnify that.

You are defending a bad opinion and if a new person enjoys the game they should not skip ahead to the latest story just because an expansion is going to come out soon. Firstborn would be wise to ignore you and anyone else who suggests they burn a jump potion when storm blood hits.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The best way to make someone not enjoy this game is to put them into the purgatory of catching up on story when no one else wants to do it. You'll fill dungeons because of leveling roulette, for sure, but your friends will not want to directly queue for your poo poo dungeons instead of the new ones. By the way, this is why player retention went up when the potions were added to the chinese and korean versions of the game. People want to play with friends. Period. Whatever nonsense you want to argue about the importance of the story takes a backseat to that.

That being said, if none of your friends are at SB and you're all doing the story together, go ham and don't get potions because why would you bother? There is such a thing as nuance. You just think jump potions are blanket a bad idea, and that's the only bad opinion around here.

I have repeatedly defended jump potions from people who think they are bad for games, but ok sure I hate them now?

I shot down your post because telling a new player to use one just to skip ahead, especially when they said they didn't stick with the o being overwhelmed in the past, and has nothing to do with catching up to friends and the improved retention that tends to result in.

You made a bad argument out of ignorance. Just acknowledge it and move on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It'll be bad for the launch window I think, especially in EA and the first couple of days of official release.

Then people will get bored of the new classes or decide they don't want to play at all and the amount of SAM/RDM will drop off a bit.

That'd be a change of pace from HW's launch. I had zero issues getting fast queues as a solo DPS during early access. :shrug:

nuru posted:

What's the feeling on SB monk? I tended to play SMN for dps since I main Scholar, but I'm tempted to go melee for my dps job this time and have drg at 50 already.

Edit: oh hey person above me just said it

I honestly don't think FFXIV's designers play MNK much because they either think it's perfect and thus needs little to no changes (:lol:) or they simply don't know how to rework the job to make it more worthwhile. Especially since SAM seems to be taking the "contribute little/no group synergy while dealing tons of damage" role that MNK theoretically held.

Mordiceius posted:

Some (probably fake) changes coming:

i320 from the launch EX primals would be less of an ilvl gap than Ravana EX since it'd be 275->320 vs 135->190.

Some of the videos and screenshots of players in the AF3 gear are i290, too. So if that claim is valid then level 70 gear progression will likely also go AF3->TomestoneA(unlimited)->TomestoneB(limited).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Shiva's stomp-into-drums is really only rivaled by Leviathan's "YOU CHALLENGE ME WITH TRICKERY?!" for phase transitions. Ravana has my favorite theme in general but those two just set up their phase two so perfectly.

T13 beats both of them tbh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Do we know any of-

- where RDM start is (I presume SAM is with that new guy with the Scions, can't recall his name)
- If characters in PotD will level to 70 or be stuck at 60 until some point in the future
- if we'll be able to download the patch before Thursday at any point

Guessing dunno, dunno and no but figured I'd post anyway

SAM won't be learning form Gosetsu if for no other reason than it'd cause too many issues with the MSQ (as he'll be moving around a bunch in the SB story, I'm sure). While it's not impossible to make it work it'd a hell of a lot easier to just have a different NPC as your go-to for SAM job quests. The closest comparison would be Estinien but his involvement is pre-HW DRG quests which were all hammered out well before HW's development would've begun in earnest.

The real surprise would be if we don't get a Toshiro Mifune SAM NPC showing up in Stormblood.

e:

Caeks posted:

Okay nice. Currently at the lvl 59 MSQ portion and I don't know if I'll be able to finish the MSQ prior to Stormblood launching. I was going to stick with my MCH if I could be ready by Stormblood release, but looks like SAM it is.

You could get through the remaining MSQ in the next 2-3 days but it'd probably take several hours, minimum, each day to do so. If you're enjoying the story and don't care about trying to join the initial leveling rush then I'd say just try to hit 60 on MCH (shouldn't take long) and then do what little prep you can for your swap to SAM when the expansion hits.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 13, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Caeks posted:

I'm actually swamped with work related projects for the next couple of days and I'm not going to be able to do much else, unfortunately. I'm so close to finishing the MSQ that I could probably finish it on a single day off, but with Stormblood being so close, and from what I gather are ilvl requirements for finishing up the MSQ, I might as well just start SAM at release THEN finish up the MSQ.

I also left quests unfinished through my journeys in HW and it'll be nice to finish them up as SAM.

Edit:

While I'm not worried about gearing up my SAM, as I've acquired a huge chunk of MNK gear already - how does a new SAM go about collecting weapons while leveling 50-60? Does SE normally put new weapons for the new jobs in older instances?

There will likely be a bunch of easy to craft i260(ish) gear added for level 60 similar to how HW included the addition of i115(?) craftable level 50 gear.

To get a SAM weapon for 50 get some tomestones together and an update item, similar to how you'd do it for any other level 50 job since they're adding SAM/RDM weapons for poetics/lore (and primals). They're also adding alexander weapons for level 60 but you'll be fine just getting a shire katana or maybe even whatever level 60 craftable is added. Odds are the level 60+ MSQ will hand out equipment regularly like the HW quests do. Plus they'll probably backfill some gear in to the HW MSQ like they did for ARR.

If you can't get the stuff for an i130 level 50 katana or i270 level 60 I wouldn't worry about it too much though.

Leofish posted:

You can get items from your squadron that give extra XP from monsters for 2 hours.

These don't stack with the FC bonus, which I imagine each FC is going to have running constantly for the first week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

Rift tried the whole damage heal thing, and learned what WoW learned with damage dealing tank-the dps players bitch about you taking their jobs and people playing the other classes of that role bitch too.

It's fine when you're the secondary healer/support, like Chanter in Aion, but Warhammer Online tried the damage->heal setup too and while you could make sledgehammer WPs work in PVP your group had to be setup for it and you still weren't as useful as a hammer+tome healbot WP.

SL the Pyro posted:

Gil: 5.7m
Company Seals: capped
Wolf Marks: capped
Tomestones: capped
Crafter/Gatherer Scrips: capped
Tanks: BiS and glamoured

I am as set for Stormblood as I'm gonna get.

Now comes the painful 2-day wait.

Gear up your retainers?

• Locked thread