Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Recruitment codes go in the PGS thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Argas posted:

Along with the class/job distinction, you'll notice that your bars reset when you equip your job stone. Except it's not resetting. Take off that job stone and it reverts. Your Gladiator's hotbar isn't your Paladin's hotbar.

The hole's even deeper than that. When you make a hotbar shared, all it does is change what's displayed. Each class and each job has its own version of that hotbar, sharing just means that there's a class-neutral hotbar that's present when the box is ticked. It's what allows neat hotbar tricks to work because these macros are accessing hotbars and copying them over.

As someone who has all jobs unlocked, this means the game keeps information for every single class and every single job on my character.

I do hope they do something about all these little system issues before 4.0.

Hotbars are all stored locally on the machine. Same with gear sets. It makes playing on both console and pc really drat annoying because there is no way to copy those config. Inventory order is also local so that sorting doesn't spam the server. When you move an item within your inventory its still in the same spot on the server and the client just maintains an index of where you placed it.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 1, 2015

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Now if you're macroing bar switches, particularly if you're using a controller, that can really help with monk.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Best control method for this game, you get analog control and keyboard buttons.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Mordiceius posted:

It's looking like it'll take 9-10 weeks PER class to get all the crafter scrip gear if you're maxing your scrips every week. So yeah, it's completely not feasible to plan on gearing out more than 2 or 3 classes with scrip gear, and you MIGHT have that done close to the time the next expansion comes out.

If you're putting scrip gear on all the classes, you're looking at 1.5 years of capping EVERY week.

This is assuming they don't add new tiers of crafting gear and scrip like they do with combat gear and tomes.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Vermain posted:

Bots also tend to move in very specific, easy-to-detect ways. They almost always follow a fixed pattern (generally moving in a semi-circle in combat repeatedly for seemingly no reason), will occasionally spend several seconds doing pathfinding calculations, stop very suddenly and jarringly, etc.

The semi-circle in combat thing is actually a feature of the game that locks your camera to the currently selected target and makes it so your character is always facing it. Generally if you only use KB+M you won't run into it but on controller its bound to clicking one of the sticks in.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Xenoveritas posted:

That's neat, I guess. (Presumably that's "registered accounts" and not "active accounts" meaning that the active population is still under a million active accounts.)

Square has a stated policy going back to when ffxi came to never give out subscriber numbers for their paid mmos. Regardless 5 million box sales is still damned impressive.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 21, 2015

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
http://www.twitch.tv/reinheartv will have translations for the Live letter portion of the broadcast per the SE staff in twitch chat

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

kharaa posted:

they are and we've known this for months. this is the last expansion supported by ps3

I think they said that 3.0 was the only one they'd guarantee support for but nothing concrete. Wouldn't be surprised though.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Europe Data Center starts operation in mid-october

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
They're planning an abridged mode for 2.x story for those who come in starting with 4.0

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Volt Catfish posted:

I think they stated they want to divert more resources to other things, and Expert is only going to be 2 dungeons from now on.

I'm hoping they keep the previous 2 in the roulette then.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

SpaceDrake posted:

New primal name will apparently be revealed during The Rising? Hmmmmmm.

EDIT: AHAHAHAHA gently caress THEY'RE INTEGRATING LORD OF VERMILLION INTO XIV

that one's coming down from corporate, you can be sure of that

NOPE

ITS MINION BATTLES

Lords of Verminion

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-...RD4MFP2WY097XZA

Amazon has the G13 for $40 right now. Its amazing for this game since you get full analog movement while still using keyboard hotkeys.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

vOv posted:

what the gently caress is with all these macros

Probably a phrasebook since they aren't using a keyboard

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Have any of the Live Letters mention anything about another PS4 upgrade promotion?

Not going to happen. The promotion existed to convince people to still buy the PS3 version even with the ps4 version on the horizon. They might offer a discount when they end support of the PS3 version though

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Holyshoot posted:

A ninja asking the tank to stop spinning the mobs. The second picture is him meeting up with the same tank in another dungeon.

There are actually a couple bosses where spinning messes with the enemies casting, the final boss of haukke manor for example can be soloed after all the adds are dead if you continuously circle the boss since her fire cast only works if you're in front of her.

Generally the tank shouldn't be doing this though.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

50% of all active players clearing Alex normal is seriously impressive, not due to difficulty but the sheer number of people raiding

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

a kitten posted:

She's definitely pretty cool so far.

MSQ spoilers from this patch: Y'shtola is blind and burning her lifeforce to see and Thancred might have lost all magic, wonder how bad of shape Minfillia is in? Maybe she's mute. :haw:
Yda and Papalymo seemed to be in pretty good condition at least

I'd bet that minfillia is now associating with the ascians

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Kwyndig posted:

VAPE LIFE!

But seriously, who the gently caress knows. How do you even implement 'there is X number of people in front of you' incorrectly?

There was a couple weeks where the duty finder choked if two groups of 3 people were at the head of the queue.

There's also how it will handle displaying partial groups that may end up in front of you because they have a role that's more in demand.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Spuzzz posted:

I logged in quick to check on things this morning and all my hotbars and graphics settings were wiped out. :negative:

Relog, its using your admin accounts games folder for settings not your usual one.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Belzac posted:

Except that you can see the physical bodies of the primals flying out of Silvertear, not just a lot of aether.

So unless this is the primals spontaneously coming into being because of the aether release it's more likely it was a seal on them than just magic in general.

It was a seal on all primals iirc (minus bound allagan ones). Once the seal was gone the eastern countries started summoning primals which is why it took so long for the garleans to make another move on eorzea. And part of the reason they started the meteor project was because they were having so many issues with them in aether-poor countries to the east that they figured it was less trouble to nuke eorzea then deal with even more powerful ones.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Nah, they're going to make it as an item that's a prize for coming first place in both Triple Triad and Lords of Verminion tournaments.

Luckily since the golden saucer is straight up not in the Chinese version of the game, it's never going to be required for relics.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Skaw posted:

Final Fantasy 14: The Dungeon Crawler sounds rad as gently caress what are you talking about

Anything like this is very dependent on execution.

Could end up like fractals in GW2 and be annoying as hell half the time if you get a particularly lovely configuration.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Thinking of and designing new content that genuinely brings something new to the table is hard. That's why a large part of each content patch is largely by the numbers new dungeons raids and story. And usually alongside they have something experimental or new that may or may not actually be good. They've missed more often then hit since HW but I think the random dungeon since it's entirely separate from current progression models could add a lot to the game.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
New mechanic in 4.x, rather then just adding new abilities to your rotation you have a personal limit break esque bar that allows you to activate "primal form" which changes up your abilities for the duration.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Kelp Me! posted:

Seriously, the concept was kind of neat but the execution was boring as hell. Do you even take damage if you don't jump off on your own? Is it even possible to land in the middle of the arena and get blasted?

The whole thing felt more like a proof of concept for developing the tech to do that. It's a nice teaser of what might be coming mechanically in 4.0

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Primals concert is good

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

hobbesmaster posted:

Considering you can rip them out easily and how inexpensive those materia are thats some cheap, easy trolling.

Didn't someone do some testing and find that elemental resistance actually gives you a small chance to completely nullify elemental damage?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

FactsAreUseless posted:

My girlfriend was just running random dungeons over and over, and I asked why, and she said "I can't do the story anymore because I switched classes." She just assumed that if she changed classes from what she picked at the start of the game, she wasn't allowed to progress through the story anymore. She didn't look it up or anything. She just decided this was true.

Sever

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Kenlon posted:

Anyone have experience using a Logitech g13 or other gaming keypad with FFXIV? It looks like a decent way to get more buttons to work with that I can hit without loving up my hand/wrist.

G13 is pretty amazing for FFXIV. The joystick can be used in an analog mode which is awesome since this is one of the rare mmos that actually supports analog movement. You'll want switch to legacy movement if you use one though.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Gpose Camera is awesome

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Asimo posted:

So how goes /gpose... work? Like there's all these camera settings or something in the patch notes but hitting it just removes the Ui for screenshots? :confused:

Hit 'R'

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Brother Entropy posted:

square knows that catgirls put butts in seats

Then why haven't they been in any single player games? (Ignoring sage robe ears and berserker costumes)

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't stop the game from doing dumb poo poo like, "Oh, you're ringing the retainer bell? LET ME HIDE THE GC TURNIN LIST FOR TODAY, HOPE YOU'VE GOT A GOOD MEMORY!" and "Ah, you're buying stuff off the AH for crafting? LET ME HIDE THE RECIPE SO YOU CAN'T MAKE SURE YOU GOT ENOUGH OF THE THING."

This is probably due to them having to write menu management code for the PS3s tiny memory footprint and trying to have it as uniform as possible between platforms.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Axle_Stukov posted:

Accessories were on the vilekin trader for each level range, including bracers.

I don't think a single person bothered with them.

I did at launch made some decent money reselling them.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Anchovies on pizza are good assuming you aren't going with one of the big chains. It also needs to be the only top other than cheese or hot peppers because you won't taste the other toppings anyways.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Sarrisan posted:

the logon "queues" in ff14 are weird. Like I remember back at HW launch when there were supposedly 1000 people in line. Except I just clicked cancel and immediately reqeued for an instant pop. I don't know if I skipped 1000 people honestly waiting or if the number itself was bullshit.

Number was accurate it only refreshes like every 20 seconds or so though and reentering keeps your spot but forces a refresh

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Verranicus posted:

What do you guys hate more about Roegadames, their pug noses or their awful hair styles?

How good looking they are in comparison to every other race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
G13 SUPREMACY!

• Locked thread