Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

My body is ready*

Is yours, Midgardsormr?

*this isn't true; I'm changing to Au Ra first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Imminent lizardgirl.

Probably gonna give myself the Malaguld name, aka the Xaela tribe of Raen that wish they were Xaela (also probably change hair because I know the clipping will be dumb with that one)

Also,

I'm saving this because someday I want to be running a D&D game where I go, "You glance over at the fireplace and this is what you see."

Oh, and

Alternate catgirl shot. FC decided to have a server-shutdown party at the Hermit's Hovel. Poor hermit, whoever it is.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 19, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Bugaal Ja, a Mamool Ja 'dancer' who likes to watch women bathe.

Oh I remember that guy now! :buddy:

In that case, hell, the party was his idea and we all learned the Mamool Ja Sacred Bathing Dance.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

What's the most overused Lizardgirl tail and hair so far?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

God drat lizardgirl owns.

(also loving that the female DRK idle is the Kiryuin pose)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Riftling posted:

:siren:How to Not Suck at Leveling 30-50:siren:

Always do your low level roulette daily first if not already completed. Levequests current benefit from rest XP, but do not consume it. You heard me right. This makes levequests ludicrous in the level ranges they're available. FATEs suck and are terrible XP/hour due to boss HP scaling and the massive zergfests going on right now.

30-35: Go to Camp Tranquil in South Shroud. Get the Adamantoise Tears leve. Max level difficulty, just run and pick up the tears while ignoring all enemies. They attack slow, so even with 2 on you, you can pick the items up off the ground. If Adamantoise Tears isn't available, do Black Market Down on lowest difficulty to bring it back.

35-40: Do Qarn at level 35 until 36/Cutter's Cry at 38 until 39 (chain XP puts them on top over leves). Otherwise, Go to the Observatorium in Coerthas. Run Cower to the People, just like Adamantoise Tears. If it's not up, Have a Nice Trip and Now We're Even are nice alternatives. Alternatively you can chain run whatever your latest dungeon is; they give a little less XP/hour than leves.

40-44: lovely levels. Cutter's Cry at 40 and Stone Vigil from 41-44 are the fastest XP/hour available to you. If you have an amazing HQ gear set and can handle +5 mobs, go to St Conch and do leves there (see below). If you have slow queues, sorry; your best bet is to find a Coerthas FATE group in party finder and join the zerg while you're in queue.

44-50: Find or build a DD speedclear group. Coast to 50 on 800,000+ xp/hour. If you're a lone wolf and rue the concept of playing with others in an MMO, you can go to St Conch in Mor Dhona. Grab all of the leves except the Naturalist. Speeding through those will give about 600k xp/hour if you have rest XP available, a little more or less depending on your efficiency.

Leve tips: Is the leve telling you to kill a mob for an item to use on other mobs to dispell their illusion BS? If you hit a mob, their illusion is dispelled anyways, so just run around tapping all the mobs once, run out of range, then run back in and kill your leve targets. Picking stuff up off the ground? Ignore all enemies, acquire tears.

Thank you, this post is good. An alternative to Camp Tranquil, FYI, is Costa Del Sol.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So I've barely scratched the surface of the MSQ because I've been having a grand time with the new jobs, and though this probably isn't the first time it's been mentioned here, I wanted to pop in and say :lol: HOLY loving poo poo THE DARK KNIGHT QUESTS. :lol:

Your edgy teenage angst? Nope, that's played. Your secret desire for destruction and bloodshed? Naw, that ain't even a secret. :v: (plus WAR's gotcha covered there) That which fuels your ~inner darkness~ is your irritation with the usual bullshit of being an RPG protagonist. Fetch quests, ungrateful comrades, annoying NPCs, filler after filler, and not even a single good line of dialogue? It added up, and you are your own Fight Club-esque trainer. :allears: It's the finest demonstration of medium-awareness that this game has exhibited yet, and it's wonderful. Jesus gently caress I love the way this game embraces itself.

Also it has given me my newest favorite screenshot of sort-of my character.

Aside from the self-parody, there's a genuine poignant side as well. The climactic turn at the level 50 quest takes place where the local NPCs absolutely hated your guts at first, but openly come out to help you fix yourself. Just, drat, Square-Enix. Well played. :golfclap:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your chart doesn't include "use LB because Wildfire counts its damage as well" so you might want to fix that unless SE finally removed the Wildfire+LB thing.

Is this true, and can anyone confirm whether or not it remains so? :stare:

I've been leveling Machinist as what feels like a long-term investment. It's really unimpressive and the way abilities line up is too much effort for very little reward, but the the look and the animations just feel so good. Also I love the Ishgardians being handed guns being all like, "I don't get it, you're wasting your time, what's the big d-OH HEY THIS IS WHAT THEY DO OKAY WOW"

They can probably keep the RNG if they ratchet up the damage bonus from the procs, and add a third proc for Split Shot that can trigger off either of the others. That ought to give the DPS a properly explosive feel and make it different enough from Bard.

Present state notwithstanding, anyone who bleeds Maelstrom-red should be leveling MCH out of sheer principle, 'til sea loving swallows all. :black101:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 1, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

It is kinda lame that I can't get access to any Heavensward stuff right off the bat. I'm barely past Ultima Weapon in the storyline and all the quests from 2.1-2.5 are looking pretty daunting to me, especially after getting through all the story quests in 2.0 was such a slog. :(

2.1 quests up to King Mog are lovely filler because Minfilia turns everything she touches into :geno:, but King Mog is fine because of the music.

For the rest of it, they're alright, story-wise. Heavensward is new and sexy but there's enjoyable stuff leading up to it. Some good bosses and dungeons, some fantastic character scenes (particularly involving certain city leaders), and the story plays out pretty much exactly as you'd expect a trashy fantasy genre serial to, and I actually mean that as a positive. Like, if you go into FFXIV's story like you might have gone into cheap Forgotten Realms novels between D&D sessions in middle school, it'll be fine.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I choose to hope that our ability to resurrect at an aetheryte is addressed as canon at some point, and it's used as fuel to poo poo on the Ascians as the unspecial jobbers that they are (especially Lahabrea who will always be a scrub)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

If there was a dancer class, it would have to have that Mamool Ja dance as one of its moves. The only animation I can imagine doing it justice is a giant censor bar, though.

Every single person in the raid's screen just cuts to

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

(last scenario things which I haven't even finished because I'm bad at not mousing over spoilers)

The thing everyone's describing happens in the level 50 DRK quest, which was (among other things) a straight callback to FF4. It was incredibly deliberate there. So why would they have placeholder generic dude when the DRK thing pulled it off perfectly?[ So they wouldn't think we were just facing "Fray" in a new costume or something? :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

You know, doesn't Square-Enix own the rights to Drakengard? They could totally have some Drakengard themed vanity items in FF14 if they felt like it.

Platinum's involvement with Nier 2 is very likely to boost the signal for it to a much greater extent than Drakengard 3 got, and one would expect S-E to give it some sort of distinctive marketing. So I think, if there's any significant showing of interest, this could actually happen.

At the very least: Emil's bouncing rolling head as a minion. :3:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FrancoFish posted:

Estinien for prez

Please say that MGR buttrock is playing for whatever the hell is going on here.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm such a dapper demon dragon dame, with my handy shotgun over the shoulder.

Unfortunately the MCH changes were pretty much the opposite of how I was hoping they'd fix this -- which was to just ratchet the proc bonuses way up so that, if the gameplay was gonna be RNG-based, we'd at least feel the boom when a good hit landed. Bards seem like they're in an okay spot and much less finicky, so might just keep shooting bows and singing at people. Maybe MCH will get some real love in 3.1.

Also I'm honestly torn between DRK and WAR for main tank job. I feel like I just want to focus on one to 60. Originally I was planning to level something for every role, but am coming to understand that there's a difference between being versatile and being genuinely good at something. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kuvo posted:

it would be interesting if SE changed their models subtly over the course of the game as they grew up. theyre suppose to be 14 or something right?

They're like...20s? In actual years. Props to FFXIV for doing the long-lived elf thing but actually showing adults looking like scrawny kids.

Ultimately Alphinaud should double in height and quadruple in girth and grow a huge manly 'stache, embracing his destiny as a Muscle Wizard worth following.

This growth should naturally occur abruptly in a single content patch. Elf puberty, man.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah, I guess teenagers would probably make sense. Just going by attitude, they come off as late-teens/early-twenties.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FATEs in HW zones might be slightly less of a waste of time soon.

I hope so. Dinging 50 in N. Than with one that awarded close to 30k and then going to Western Highlands and getting 14k for one is utterly dumbfounding.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want Limsa but with Raubahn as the leader instead of Merlywb.

Merlwyb earned my undying loyalty when her response to a respawning bad guy was to calmly shoot him again until the eldritch god watching it unfold got tired of it and just ate him.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Not sure if this ever really made the rounds at all, but I found something neat in the art book that came with the HW CE that tickles the nostalgia fancy, though is probably to be expected with a certain trio of significant statues that have featured prominently in Heavensward stuff.

Ultima Weapon? Not quite. Look at the tail, and especially the horns.

FEEBLE CREATURES, GO!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

kafziel posted:

Yeah that's definitely Proto-Ultima.

Oh dang, this guy is a fate? Here I was thinking he'd show up in a dungeon (haven't even hit 60 yet. :v: )

Is it like a Behemoth/Odin type thing, in which he gets the music?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh, okay. Then maybe once we get a proper fight with him, we'll get to hear the Soken remaster of this that we all need.

I mean, really, that's all I truly care about here. :allears:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Rez macros are cool.

/ac “Raise” <t>
/p Soul of <t>, withdrawn from it's vessel. Get back in your corpse, if it ain't too much hassle.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Okay, this game.

I'm taking my sweet time, just now getting flight in west Coerthas, so just wandering around looking for aether currents, enjoying the landscape and chill, melancholy tunes, and just out of nowhere I find a tiny little grotto full of sea angels. For no drat reason other than probably serving as a fishing spot, just to be pretty.

Guys I fuckin love this. :3: This is a GOOD GAME.

Also (early 3.0 story spoiler) I tremendously enjoyed getting to punch down a giant portcullis in the process of saving Raubahn. Ilberd, is "you're just being used!" what you tell everyone who whoops your rear end? :smug:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Design a hairstyle.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm entering. Thinking pompadours and/or microbraids. They're already said they're wanting afros in, so chances are no such entry is needed.

I hope SE immediately trashes any entries that are straight copies of existing FF characters. So probably like half of what they get.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Countblanc posted:

She was never cool

*shoots you, waits for you to respawn in the nearest fishman, wordlessly shoots you again*

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'll be honest, I probably wouldn'tve taken much note in the change of Merlwyb, Raubahn, and Alphinaud's voices had it not been pointed out. The biggest difference seems to be that they can speak in conversational tones now without seeming stilted.

Tataru was very noticeable though. Following up her performances as Rosabeth and Fiora, Carina Reeves continues to be charming and adorable in the utmost. :kimchi:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

All of the Rogue guys' dialogue is 100% understandable if you just bother to read the sentences and understand context. :v:

I do like how they show up during the Ninja quests now and then. It helps maintain the feeling that you are indeed a standard fantasy heroic-thief archetype who's actually learning an exotic foreign art, and at the same time actively helping maintain good diplomatic relations between a city-state and refugees. There's something poetic about the ale-swilling scallywags being the ones who've actually got the Domans' backs.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress BRDs. The brd population of Famfrit is enough to make me willing to pay to move to Excal. Useless inattentive bunch of shitheads. Fuckers couldn't focus on a target if you paid them, and run around like a drat rabbit if something looks at them because they drew aggro being the only one attacking that mob.

They stop with this bullshit once they hit 52 thanks to Wanderer's Minuet. Speaking as one who actually enjoys playing BRD and MCH, this seemingly burdensome ability is a blessing to those who don't for the exact goddamn annoying reason you state.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Brannock posted:

I played with a grognard tonight in Sohm Al who bragged about how he had never paid a single bit of attention to the story or script since 1.25.

There needs to be an MSQ involving a quiz that pools from several thousand questions of lore trivia relating to the main story, that in turn pools from several hundred questions with like eight randomly arranged answers, required to pass for progress.

It won't stop story-skippers, as there'll inevitably be a gameFAQ for answers somewhere, but it will irritate them, and anything that annoys people who hate the story in this game (as if there isn't enough that does that already) is good in my book.

On another note:

Is it just me or are Summoners kinda bonkers-good DPS right now? I'm leveling one, and the performance I'm getting out of it runs circles around my Machinist and Ninja. Not at 60 yet so maybe it's a different story then. Right now, I'm mostly grinding dungeons to fill XP gaps between quests, but it's especially noticeable when on the last boss in Aery, we're sitting and twiddling our thumbs for 5-10 seconds between waves during the add phase playing as SMN, but it's always much closer with others.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It's a pretty good story. Compared to most video games it's a notch above, compared to most MMOs it's high literature. It's self-aware, the NPCs are actually fairly likable, and the narrative it delivers is impressively consistent with the world and art design. It crawls a little too far up it's own rear end trying to be cute with tangential fetchquests now and then, but even those tend to have some sort of worthwhile moment or two.

But you don't have to love it. :v: My comment was directed more towards those aforementioned grognards who brag about ignoring it like they're the alpha-nerdmonkey in the playground (which they are, except that's not actually a compliment). In things that actually matter, there are no really wrong choices you can make, so play and have fun.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I went out of town and didn't get my entry done in time. :( But, I'm very glad that a pompadour made it onto the list anyway. Mine looked slightly more like an absurd tornado.

I like female entry no. 2, because I'm partial to offbeat styles that could invoke either an ethnic or punk look depending on how you spun it. Mine was gonna be long, wavy microbraids.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Eerkik posted:

I am absolutely enamored with the amount of small details that went into the lore of this game, holy poo poo

As with most things, the design probably came first, and then the lore team went and concocted some explanation for what the art team had wrought.

But it still says something that they're actually willing to take the time to polish it up like that. The fact that every last thing in Eorzea's got some sort of story to it, even if it's some tiny blurb in the Sightseeing Log, is why it's a good setting.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I've got Machinist questions.

I finally started hitting 60 on my chosen jobs because I am slow and also have to level four at once (war, nin, mch, sch/smn). Now I need to actually make up my mind, and I was thinking about Mechanist. So, my questions here are for anyone with experience with it in the endgame.

Am I correct in assuming that in endgame content, the routine still largely consists of:

- Piling on buffs to get the biggest possible Wildfire you can manage towards the very beginning of a fight/phase?

- Spending the rest of the fight just John Madden'ing between whatever the hell decides to proc and whatever comes up on cooldown?

- Occasionally poking your turret to make it do something situationally helpful?

As DPS goes, I do sorta LIKE the proc-chaining style, as I find the other classes to be rather repetitive, but while leveling, it feels like the sheer damage is somewhat less compared to ninja, and MUCH less compared to summoner. As you start gearing up, does it start to hit harder, or even if not, do the group utility benefits carry their own weight? Or, does it continue to feel like a very 'high effort for mediocre reward' kinda thing?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Will the afro be available to both genders like the ponytail?

If so, yesssssssssss. :woop: My catgirl (who is dark complexioned and has the sassy-black-lady voice, I think it's number 8) will know her true destiny

e. A month and two weeks isn't that massive a wait. It's probably enough to get some people antsy, but given how substantial these patches end up being, the complaints will probably vanish into nothingness the second it rolls out.

Also, if, as someone up-thread mentioned, it's because the devs took a big vacation after HW launched, GOOD. We've heard enough horror stories about both game development crunch time and Japanese office culture, and the people who've been making this game have been doing a pretty good job and don't deserve to be burnt out.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 19, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Grondoth posted:

I hope that MGP stuff is both genders. That's a cool [LOWER ROBE] if it's dyable.

All of the new MGP stuff, whomever it's available to, are basically validating my choice to give Machinist a fair shake for endgame content.

I'll either be a sophisticated debonair victorianesque sharpshooter, or I will bring the magic of Blaxploitation to Eorzea.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Azys La is pretty clearly supposed to be where a lot of really interesting stuff happens and is placed in the storyline patches though, I don't think it's a waste of resources as much as something that they have plans for utilizing that will be actualized over the next couple years of 3.x.

Maaaan. I love the hell out of Azys Lla.

It feels like it was designed for the very specific purpose, gameplay-wise, of serving as the "last level" (solo, anyway) of the 3.0 MSQ. It did a good job of storytelling-by-scenery, the details in the environment and placement of enemies as effective narratives for just what's going on throughout the islands, and though the quest direction is linear compared even to other zones in FFXIV, it had a satisfactory pace and some good storytelling beats. I loved especially the "drop everything and go a few rounds with the Legatus because you're there and you can and oh wait we both have better things to do right now" (let none mistake that both the Empire and We are mutual, if opposed, instigators of trouble). Altogether, it feels like a single, coherent level with clear progression and set of objectives that make sense as you get there.

Also, it got me right in my FF6 nostalgia. Naturally, knowing in advance that it played host to the Warring Triad, I felt it poetic to go in as Ninja. :v: It felt awesome to ding my first 60 fighting those gnarly sphinx monsters in the shadow of the statues. (oh yeah, and I got giant pangs of Xenoblade as well, as with a lot of things in Heavensward)

Once you get to fly around it, it's clear that there's a lot of unused space (quite a lot more than Mor Dhona had in 2.0), but that goes right to the notion that they've probably got plans for it across 3.x.

But y'know, even if they ended up not doing much with it, it still served it's purpose perfectly in the questing experience.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 22, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

vOv posted:

My biggest complaint about Azys Lla is how yellow and cloudy everything is. It's such a drag coming from Sea of Clouds.

This is also my complaint. Having an excess of yellow or green is visually unappealing just from a pure art perspective. Fortunately the scenery actually retains it's own colors, so you get a nice contrast with metallic reds and greys. They did not commit the foul that some game designers seem oblivious to: stick a green filter on something to convey "murk" (but instead just make it all look like puke) like a bunch of zones in World of Warcraft still loving do for some reason.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The Doman Kids quest basically justified itself in the moment they all lined up to salute, and your badass godslayer, who's looking oblivious, glances over at what they're all doing and joins the salute perfectly straight-faced. :3:

Also when the thieves get chased off, one of them stops to wave at the kids before disappearing because she thinks (rightfully) that they are adorable.

Anyway, speaking of being a badass godslayer, I finally finished the Heavensward MSQ, which I'm slow at because I was simultaneously leveling warrior, mechanist, ninja, and summoner/scholar.

I'm still reeling over the fact that SE seriously just took the Knights of the Round summon animation from FF7 verbatim and turned each hit into a combat phase. :roflolmao:

I love this loving game.

And also doing every quest and watching every cutscene in it thank you very much.

Mystery Prize posted:

I was looking at trying Bard and the dps priority system looks like a giant mess and reminds me fondly of feral druid dps at 70 in WoW.

If you want a giant John Madden clusterfuck, play Machinist endgame instead. Which I am now, because nobody else I know is, gotta be special. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

There is something eminently satisfying about pulling off a perfect Wildfire burst. What fucks me up as a Machinist is mistiming boss phases so that Wildfire never goes off at all while other buffs just tick away impotently, i.e. Ravana's tendency to just leave the ring and waltz around offscreen while throwing stuff to dodge. This, however, I figure is just as much a matter of practice as it is to keep track of cooldowns, and having this much to juggle honestly makes for more engaging play than more predictable DPS classes. Granted, they might be parsing higher than I am, but gently caress it I'm having fun. :v:

Also, the ranged DPS gear sets are like head and shoulders above everything else in sheer swank factor, and if damage output is the price to pay for being the swashbucklingest princess, so be it.

• Locked thread