Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a lead on a goon static that has a spot open for a Summoner? I've seen A1S up to enrage and coincidentally have been overcome by an incredible desire never to step foot into A1N ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The nice bit is that Dreadwyrm Trance, Contagion, and Tri-Disaster all have a cooldown/effective cooldown of 60 seconds.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Some quick notes on Singularity Reactor bardmode, or at least the first half of it that we saw before dying horribly. Honestly I bet this is kind of a fight you really want to watch a video for or something, because as far as we can tell it's just a blizzard of individually very simple (and very familiar for coil types) mechanics that need to be executed in quick succession. The easiest way to wipe is to not think ahead to the next mechanic when dealing with the current one. Unless you're some golden god of raiding this is a a very easy mistake to make, but one that I imagine goes away with practice.

Fun fight so far, though.

Everyone's gonna want to stack on Thordan's butt after the pull, since his first attack is a bunch of circles centered around players they have to run out of. See: titan plumes. He'll then shoot out one of those huge fan attacks with tiny gaps in the pattern, which shouldn't be difficult to dodge unless, say, the servers are melting under the weight of a recent patch. Dragon's Eye doesn't seem to do much (it gives him a buff though, maybe a stacking damage increase?), but Dragon's Gaze must be turned away from (like the arihman boss in WoD or the glare attack in t7), or else you'll get hysteria and probably run into Thordan's cleaves and get oneshot. Then he'll mark everyone with lightning rods that will blast nearby players, so spread out for that. Immediately after the lightning bolts strike, stack up on Thordan's butt again because a huge split-damage attack is coming (thermionic beam from t9 basically). Ancient Quaga will come out for like 7k damage raidwide, and then he'll immediately go into a sword swing + tankbuster + sword swing combo that's pretty vicious. It's physical so congrats if you stuck it out and played Paladin! Otherwise throw out a Virus for the tankbuster (Heaven's Heel) or something.

He'll probably be somewhere between 70-75% at this point? Anyways stack everyone in the middle because Ser Charizard's fire chains + explosions attack from the Vault is coming out, so deal with that like you do in LLDR. Four towers which look identical to the T13 ones will show up as the fire chains are breaking; have someone stand in all of them. You have a few seconds after the explosions go off to get into a tower, so don't feel compelled to commit suicide-by-explosion if one's fully covering a tower!

Ser Zephirin will show up and charge up an attack which deals damage proportional to how much HP he has left. This is a really easy DPS check if you did the towers right. If you didn't everyone is paralyzed and the DPS check will be rather difficult but perfectly managable. A couple seconds before the attack goes off, three more knights will appear outside of the arena in a perfect isosceles triangle. They'll rush forward in a straight line T9 divebomb style after a few seconds; the most reliable way to dodge this is to stand on either side of the short side of the triangle (draw this out on paper and it'll make sense!).

Two more Knights will appear after the charge attack is done; they need to be tanked apart from each other. They'll soon cast Royal Authority, which gives one Damage Up and the other Vulnerability Down; if they were still tethered at this point both of them get both buffs and you're hosed. Dump DPS onto the one with Damage Up obviously. After a bit they'll both charge up Holy Bladedance; the one with Damage Up will loving eviscerate a tank if multiple mitigation spells aren't used (viruses, disables, tank CDs, shields, etc). Then they'll both use Holiest of Holies for a pretty big chunk of raidwide damage.

While this business is going on three of your DPS will be targeted with blue prey markers; when they go off the victim will take like 12000 damage and everything nearby will take damage based on how close they are to you. Think up of some system to move the targeted DPS to equidistant edges of the arena because otherwise everyone will die horribly (corollary: think of some system to prevent the tanks from being vaporized by the dives too! A-B-C placed at thirds around the arena work fine). Assuming you're still alive at this point, they'll recast Royal Authority to switch their buffs and you'll take it again from the top. Also at throughout this phase you'll see a message informing you that the enemy party has gained battle fever if any raid members go down, so I'm going to assume you're proper hosed if that shows up too many times.

Once both knights are down, put everyone in a loose circle in the center so they can clearly see which way they need to run to spread out. Three things are going to happen in quick succession here. First, those slowly expanding void circles from CT will appear under the party, so people have to run out. As they're running, Shiva-style ice crystals will appear over people's heads, so I hope you all ran out in different directions. Lastly, Thordan will use a pulse attack to push people outwards into the death-walls, so everyone has to run back into the middle after the ice crystals go off. Out, then wait a beat, then back in. The only problem is that ice detonations leave behind a frozen death zone, so you need to make sure you're not going to be pushed backwards into one while running into the center.

A bunch of the Comet/Meteor circles from the Xande fight will then appear. You've seen these before: if you can kill them all you move on and if you can't you wipe. A few players will get red prey marks during this phase, which indicates that they're about to take three mini-meteors to the face for like 2k damage each. I don't know if the mini-meteors do AoE damage because I'm a summoner and I"m never standing next to anyone. It's possible!

If you made it through the comet summoning Thordan will show up again and do his whole light-show + broken screen attack you remember from Singularity Reactor normal. Unfortunately we never got past this bit. Good luck!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Here's my hot take: people complaining about how Diadem is a goddamn trainwreck for progression raiders are basically right because it is. But everyone else seems to be having fun with diadem, and the Diabloesque grind is probably calculated to get people still playing the game during midpatch doldrums in the same proven skinnerbox way that Diablo keeps people playing. I'm pretty sure that the dev team didn't "screw up" this blatantly--they did the cold-blooded calculation that keeping overall player engagement up was worth pissing off the (much smaller) segment of the population for which having stacked i210s still matters. You guys got hosed. But I'm not sure that it's unhealthy for the overall game that you did so.

As a bad player though I don't think it actually matters much in the grand scheme of things: the world firsters already have a4s on farm obviously, anyone else good enough to actually care about how much determination is on your pants is probably at least making good progress on a3s, and there's no reason other than petty spite to argue that casuals don't "deserve" gear. It's not like they're going to do anything worthwhile with it. Soon enough we'll see i220/i230 gear or whatever and the playing field will be level again.

Of course people who are good enough that they don't actually need overpowered Diadem gear are going to hellgrind it anyway, but on some level Yoshi-p isn't obligated to protect you from your own brain problems...

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I only started playing this game in like 2.4 so I don't personally remember how coil went, but if 3.2 is like 3.0 won't there be another tomestone and another alex normal before the next tier of Alex raids? Won't melded gear from that content be better than diadem gear by virtue of higher mainstat?

If not then yeah don't get me wrong this is horribly unfair to the, what, less than 50 human beings in the world who are actually in contention for world firsts? All I'm saying is that maybe the dev team was willing to make that tradeoff and screaming about it isn't going to make much of a difference.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

bleuraindrops posted:

You might be right that it won't matter in the end but yours and others "gently caress raiders they just mad casuals getting gear" attitude is absolute poo poo.

I raid? I mean we're not the best obviously since A3S' last phase ate my static and spat it out, but at least nobody in it is Belzac-ing out. I honestly don't see why casuals shouldn't be able to get i210 gear literal months after I got mine.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't actually disagree with anything you said! But the whole point of randomizing gear stats is to dangle that nigh-unattainably rare carrot in front of the playerbase to keep them logged in; toning that down defeats the entire design purpose of the Diadem in the first place. I guess the difference is that I'm willing to believe (basically on faith) that with stuff like a new tomestone and a5-9n gear coming out before a5s, this won't matter in the end for anyone except maybe first-weekers.

e: belzac isnt even raiding right now man
e2: for the love of god have we all been flipping out over a photoshop

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also the camaraderie you get from playing video games with other people is nice (which is why preformed Seal Rock is fun despite being a colossal clusterfuck) and it's not like anyone's going to spin up a static just to farm EXDR so here we are.

e: Amateur self-psychoanalysis time: I started this game in 2.4 and I didn't join a static until after I had my eso weapon so I've never actually experienced not having "enough" gear for a fight. I've also never been anything but the undergeared stepchild in a static that everyone keeps around because gently caress, how hard can SMN be? Maybe that's why I can't find it in me to care about Diadem gear.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 12, 2015

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Some people play the game the way they like it? They got hosed. I think Diadem is good for the game overall but if I thought about the game the same way they evidently do I'd be loving pissed too.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's just saying that all of a summoner's important cooldowns are divisible by 60 and therefore that you should use them together, except presented in a way which somehow makes this incredibly simple concept deeply confusing

e: also any fight long enough for any of this to matter probably has invulnerability or burn phases, at which point you'll actually have to use your brain anyway

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
just bane and painflare instead of fester, and hope the rest of your static has spell effects off

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
guys it's not like level3 owns the only backbone machine in montreal, if that was true wtfast wouldn't work either

This isn't really my field, but it took me about four minutes to confirm that AWS instances in the us-west regions can route to Montreal without going through level3 machines (they use GTT's tier-1 instead). I'll toy around with SOCKs later tonight, but if true you can just spin up a free micro instance and route all your traffic through that.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Correction: it appears that all of the major cloud computing platforms (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure) are part of Level 3's Cloud Connect Solutions program. This basically means that they paid Level 3 a boatload of money for better performance, which isn't a violation of net neutrality because

Anyway, this means that you should be able to set up a proxy on whatever one of those services offers the best free trial/has a region closest to you and take advantage of their deep pockets to skip the line at Level 3's Montreal machines.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Alright, gently caress it, I'm tired of everyone in DGKK making dying-goldfish noises when I'm on voice. Any recommendations for a desktop cardioid mic for raiding purposes? Let's say...under $80, I'm not doing studio recording here.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sounds good, thanks!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've honestly had the reverse experience--as long as nobody dies, Sephirot's enrage is almost trivial. On a clean run with 4 decent DPS and no deaths, you usually don't even see the adds spawn on the second loop. Even with one shaky DPS or a death or two, enrage never feels like a concern either with a goon group or in PF.

...it's doing the fight cleanly that's the problem.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If we do not have that playing 24/7 in all three FC houses until the end of time, we will have failed as a community.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even in not-that-long fights, every four Ruin Is you cast instead of Ruin II saves you enough mana to hardcast a Ruin III out of DWT, which means that the Ruin 1 has an effective potency of ~110 instead of 80.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
You can do hunts (your daily+weekly hunt) for an i180 weapon, and buy i145 vendor gear from a NPC in Azys Lla. That'll get you into some of the early 60 dungeons, where you can start earning esoterics to pad out you item level with cheap i200 accessories. Then run void ark for i200 left side pieces when you can.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you can trust your healer, don't kill Ziggy's adds at all. The explosion damage is not difficult to just heal through, and you can keep dps on the boss.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there's a third phase?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is this game just hysterically unoptimized or something? Just picked up a GTX 1070 and it's everything I ever dreamed of...except for in FF14, where combat is unplayably choppy at 1440p Ultra.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Haha nope I logged back in and did some trials at a smooth 60 fps at 1440p maximum. Best guess is that it was thrashing on disk or something last night.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

It depends a lot on the fight and how much healing you actually need to do, but if you're not healing at all, I'd say 600-800 dps is good. My static's scholar can do about 750 on Twinkledinks.

this guy hit 60 yesterday please please please don't make him feel like he has to match the 95th percentile parse on fflogs immediately

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Realtalk: all healers should be able to sustain 1000+ against a stationary striking dummy at current gear levels (i220+) but having to keep an eye on the party is going to cost you some DPS in any actual fight even if you don't have to cast healing spells, simply from splitting your attention.

fakeedit: healers should be able to match most non-SMN DPS in a pull against a pile of trash though; 1800+ is easily achievable against 4+ targets

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 12, 2016

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think that's ntan's first serious post ever in this thread so i guess he sees something in you grasshopper

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can move while casting it so if you know you've got some running around to do mechanics in your future it's better than sitting on your rear end not doing any damage

also i think it's better than stone iii if you need to weave in assize/fluid aura, since it doesn't clip your next gcd but don't quote me on that

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kuvo posted:

I live in San Francisco, the tech capital of the US (arguably the world) and the only broadband option where I live is comcast :mad:

https://webpass.net/

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
NIdhogg is a really good fight for Eos. Even the later Akh Morns kind of just bounce off if you have Eos' mdef/healing+ buffs up; it's hysterical.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Reading the PotD thread on reddit is amusing because there are quite a few people turbo raging about the RNG nature of the place.

Who'd of thought a roguelike inspired dungeon would be heavily RNG?

yes palace of the dead is exactly like nethack, if nethack just rolled dice and said "gently caress off you can't progress" when you hit castle 25% of the time

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
serious question: have you ever actually played rogue

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
rogue is uniquely relevant here because it's a simple enough game to illustrate the point he's missing, which is that in rogue rng is something you manage, not something that randomly ends your run because the dice hated you

you very rarely ever die in rogue unless you've made a mistake; the only real exception is umber hulks but you usually have a get-out-of-jail free card by then

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
for what it's worth i don't think palace of the dead is very roguelike but i actually kind of like it anyway; my only two complaints are the horrific rng involved in getting going from 25 to 30 on your aetherpool and that solo runs are probably a little too hard right now

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's worth noting that arguments over what counts as a roguelike are basically the electrified rail of Games threads for a reason

but moreso than the aetherpool rng, the big reason i don't think of palace of the dead as a roguelike is that it lets you carry over your equipment progression in between runs; not just as an optional baby mode or whatever but as a default which you are expected to take advantage of

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can crossclass invigorate before you hit level 30 though????

pull three packs, hit blood for blood + raging strikes, spam overpower until you die or you get kicked

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i cannot emphasize to you how bad of an idea this was. please do not attempt a solo deep dungeon run unless you know exactly what you are getting into. it was infuriating on every possible level but also oddly compelling so here we are

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Alright, some thoughts on how to solo SMN effectively in Deep Dungeon before it all leaks out of my head

1) It's easier to keep up with the level curve if you farm above it early (so you're more efficient at killing things later). Unfortunately, this means 30m+ of ungodly tedium farming glacially respawning mobs on 9F and 19F. You must be at level 56 (Tri-Disaster) by 40F. For me that meant entering the 10F boss at 24, the 20F boss at 35 (Fester!), and the 30F boss at 47.

2) You'll need pet micro though thankfully nothing very complex. You do have to be consistent, though. On later floors, you will have to use a variety of tricks with Titan:
- switching him between multiple targets to keep them all aggroed on him instead of munching on you
- pulling with him in Steady to pick individual enemies out of a close pack
- moving him out of enemy disabling enemy AOEs (Palace Morbol' bad breath, Nightmare Succubus' terror AOE , Catablopas' stoning attack off the top of my head). if he gets disabled he's not generating aggro, which usually ends with a mob munching on your face*
- moving him to move the fight away from a patrolling enemy who's about to pile in
Fumbling when you do this usually means a rapid and embarassing death. Get comfortable with your sic/steady/place/follow binds
^ in case of emergency: remember that Rouse allows your pets to ignore many status effects, something which has basically never been relevant before now

3) Critical cross-class skills: raging strikes, swiftcast, quelling in that order
- swiftcast titan is the poor man's benediction; just remember that titan will lose his current threat lead when you do this
- swiftcast tri-bind will save your rear end multiple times in your run. yes, i know tri-bind is normally garbage and you probably don't even have it on your bar. find a place for it
- titan won't be able to hold hate off a 54+ SMN using tri-d/ruin3/fester without help. rotate rouse+spur, enkindle, and quelling

4) Effective use of Virus, Eye for an Eye, and Tri-Bind will dramatically extend titan's life expectancy vs. tough enemies.

5) Hold a Rage pom for the 40F boss. Hold early Alteration poms for 31-40F. You're not doing this without a fairly leveled weapon, so crack Fortunes and Affluence on 31-40F too.

6) 31-40F are by faaaaaar the hardest part of the run on paper, though if you spend too many poms there 41-50F will also be rough

Quick boss guide:

10F: if you're having trouble here as smn you should probably not be doing challenge runs of anything, really
20F: boss will do significant damage to titan, so keep 100% sustain uptime. don't get cleaved while running around. hold aetherflow stacks for the bees and keep potions on cooldown, but in case of emergency physick is still pretty good here.
30F: have titan on boss in middle with 100% sustain. bait fire + ice puddles (4 per cycle) to the outside and run in for fear itself. use virus after the fear itself to catch the mini-tankbuster, but it's not too important
40F: hoooo boy. those adds that light parties just ignore must be killed before the boss can cast scream, or they will zap you for like 3k damage. the dps check is pretty brutal for a solo player too. for the first set, you can barely kill them if you unload everything: raging strikes + tri-d + fester one of them, dot up the other manually and spam ruin 3 till dead. For subsequent sets, you'll probably have to pop a rage pom (you should kill the boss as the third set is spawning, so you should only need one). just don't panic and don't let titan die or you'll be proper hosed
50F: look away from the fear. don't get hit by AOEs. be aware that the gargoyles from tamtara hm make a return, so later In Healths will require a bit fancier stepping than normal (light parties kill edda too fast too see this)

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 24, 2016

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ACT, and follow this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/ACTOverlayPlugin/comments/3b7ogz/instructionslatest_download/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i played a lot of ninja in ff11, how similar does it play in ff14?

• Locked thread