Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

is there a good idiot's guide to crafting in HW? especially if it's 3.4 relevant. i'm coming back to the game after a while so I dunno what to do other than the good old 'get every craft to 50' routine.

i care a lot about crafting gear for my ast, so is it reasonable to specialize crp/wvr/gsm and gear myself? or is this a giant waste of time since i haven't even started hw crafting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Truga posted:

Getting good enough gear to craft 4* is quite easy now IMO, if you're in a goon FC. Get the materials, bother goon friends to craft you an ironworks set, do some melding, done. I only have 3 crafting classes at 60, but all 3 of them can do 4*.

Getting crafters from 50 to 60 can be either cheap or quick though. Spamming leves can get expensive quickly on some classes.

I'm not, I transferred off a while ago to play with irl friends. I guess I'll pray that they can do it or I'll have to suck it up and start the journey of being able to do everything myself. :rip:

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't worry about specializing until you're ready to do 4* crafts, since that's the only thing you need them for. And which ones you pick doesn't matter much in the long run. CRP/GSM/WVR are all you need for the final products, but you'll need intermediate materials from literally every other class. No matter what you pick, you'll have to rely on someone else for at least part of it. Personally, I'd suggest going ALC/CUL and one of your choice.

So pretty much level every craft to 60 unless I have friends to fill in the gaps for me?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

holy poo poo what a loving post :eyepop:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Did a 51-100 with friends. SMN (me), PLD, DRG, SCH. Everyone was max level on main job except the SCH who is our new-ish friend. She was 52 coming in and finished it at almost 55. ~200kish per set, 400kish for the last 10. Everyone was 30/30 going in.

Here's my impressions and experiences:

First 30 floors were easy. Things died really fast, still not worth casting dots outside of bosses unless solo. The bosses start to feel like real bosses here, but still aren't too hard. 81-90 started to pick up in difficulty but weren't bad with smart pomander usage. The worst thing we had was getting a giant pile of 8 nasty things with AOEs, but that's what Witching is for.

91-100 weren't really hard, but things have a lot of HP. The enemies individually hit pretty hard though. I think 81-90 might've been harder.

We barely saw any negative enchantments, we were at 3 serenity for almost the entire run.

We ended the run at 50/49, so we gained nearly 40 combined levels on the weapons/armor.

We never saw a single non-iron sack; I assume gold/silver is from 101-200.

Each set of floors took us 30-35 minutes. We could've been faster with a more experienced healer contributing dps and faster pulling.

The last boss was easier than the 90th and 80th floor bosses. I don't really consider this a spoiler, but JUST in case: Use your Kuribus here, they one-shot the undead adds and do ok damage to the boss. If you have two, they should last you the entire fight from when the first adds spawn.

I would not do this with pugs. I would not do this without a tank/healer at lower gear levels.

e: Overall it was fun but it's gonna get rote again pretty quick. Looking forward to trying 101-200 with a more prepared group though!

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 2, 2016

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

41-50 is more exp than 91-100. :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Axle_Stukov posted:

Saw the end of PotD 200 on a steam and it is amazing.

It was literally just a bench next to a tree with a token to loot for turn-ins, no boss fight. The group lost their poo poo at the fact it was just over with no surprise super boss.

:perfect: loving SE. This is great in a twisted way.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/5cucly/8page_famitsu_interview_with_yoshida_after_nas/

Didn't see this in thread yet. I want to buy jump potions now though. :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Eopia posted:

Make Jump Potions put you in a special tutorial instance that forces you to learn your rotation before you get your levels.

forces every character to do novice and intermediate hall :getin:

anyway jump potions would be cool for my idiot alt obsessed friends (and me) who dont want to do the entire story through 3.5 again once the expansion hits.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

literally on the same page followed by a bunch of discussion. :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

just run potd up to 90/90 and turn it in for a 255 weapon straight up. potd shits aetherpool upgrades at you now. I regularly get +15 to +20 in both arm and armor from a single 51-100 run.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

AngusPodgorny posted:

1) Having a 0/0 weapon is a big disadvantage (although not impossible). You're going to need to get used to starting over to farm upgrades to be ready for the higher floors. The usual way is to do 1-10 on the first save, then 1-10 on the second save, then 11-20 on both, and so on. Even then you might hit a wall and have to reset.

nah the game shits out so many upgrades at you now that it doesn't matter

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I kinda regret skipping all of the HW ones but on the other hand I was the first person in my FC to hit 60 so

very impressive feat. good work friend!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

what's the best way to turn my poe into money? give me all of your dirty trade secrets since i'm not on excal and won't trash your markets.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tenik posted:

if you have GSM desynth leveled, you can break down the right sides for demimateria. If you don't, you can donate gear to your FC for seals, which you then use to either farm Quick Ventures, or or buy 2.0 endgame crafting mats.

good point on the GC seals, though i've been making bank on my server from the francescas and such.

are quick ventures that lucrative? my retainers are 52 because they're fisher and war which aren't capped heh.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

a stupid gmpc last hits the bosses, for example.

i don't think wow raiding is that good any more (and i say that as someone actively doing it) but lol are we still loving on this after 5 years

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Pikavangelist posted:

Why are you on Balmung?

i'm not, thankfully.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

homeless snail posted:

All the FF14 plushes are 25% off on Square's store, I'm sure someone ITT cares about that https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/279667/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-delivery-moogle-plush

They're also taking preorders for the fall issue of FF14 magazine

that link doesn't list fat cat but it's also 25% off!

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/316436/final-fantasy-xiv-plush-cushion-fat-cat

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

also didn't see this mentioned, but the base game and HW are each $10 (or $20 bundle) if you have any friends who are on the fence about getting into the game: https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/282822/final-fantasy-xiv-online-pc-download

no these arent on sale on steam lmao get hosed

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Asimo posted:

There's literally no reason to have alt characters in FF14 unless you have to play on multiple servers simultaneously for some reason. So you don't have to worry about much there, just plug through it all at your own pace.

tell this to my friends with multiple characters at 60 of various races/genders.

dress up is the real end game.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Leofish posted:

Are they just not logging out?

correct. there's no auto-logout atm.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

a lot of the big, group-wide hits don't even interrupt you. it's usually the specifically targeted attacks that do, or standing in stupid poo poo. i can't think of a single raid-wide effect in HW that you need to pop surecast through. unless there's something i haven't seen in savage, anyway. i do remember some of those interrupting you in ARR though.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I've never been interrupted by mega-holy on my ast, but then again:

Truga posted:

There's been a few raidwide things that also interrupt recently, but it's super easy to just time your heal to land before cast finishes, but heals after the damage goes out. :shrug:

yeah this is probably why. also this is why i like the slight delay on heals and casts in this game. it feels super clever and good to perfectly time your casts in a fashion that you can't do in other games.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 24, 2016

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

someone please help me

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Azerban posted:

Check the source of the email? Maybe the codes are just styled badly.

i checked that and there's nothing buried in there, at least not that i can find.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

S-E support told me to re-enter the amazon code on the redemption website and try again. the codes were there the second time.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I made a terrible mistake and left Excal a few years ago to play with friends on terrible, dead, backwater servers. I made a fresh character on Excal tonight because I didn't feel like paying $28 to transfer and fantasia my old character (and I guess I can still play with my friends occasionally). If there's any low level people who are doing the story and want to run dungeons together, hit me up! I'm Sam Raimi in game and I'll tank for you.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

How was that name *not* taken already on our server.

because i sat on it a while ago in case i ever came back to excal :mrgw:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Meldonox posted:

There's also a chance it'll do some dumb thing where it dies and starts giving you errors like this:

I don't remember what the fix is off the top of my head, but don't panic if you see it. It's annoying but it's nothing you have to reinstall over.

Also guys guys I figured out how to fix the RDM wardrobe problem. No matter what hat you equip, if you're RDM it should magically and automatically be made jauntier.

If you see that error, you need to change your DNS. My friend just encountered that problem and switching his DNS to Level3's corrected it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

nuru posted:

I was not prepared for the first Samurai we encounter to be Scottish.

Wait, where? What? I need to see this.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Leofish posted:

But I may change my mind. They've said SAM will share gear with MNK, right? I may go full techno samurai and keep the Ironworks set for awhile. I'm assuming we're getting Magitek weapons for RDM and SAM, right? Everything except Coil and ARR/HW relics?

i am hoping and praying that RDM and SAM get the same treatment as the HW jobs did and they retroactively get ARR (and HW) era weapons for primals and such. especially because some of the ARR weapons for MCH/DRK/AST were radical.

moogle katana please.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

oh i somehow missed that. i am excited as gently caress. must collect them all.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Is that actually what they're saying, or is it just the straw argument that you've reduced it down to? Also I agree that getting new people into the game is good, but I don't think that literally anything that does that would be good. "Anything" includes a lot of really stupid poo poo including actual pay to win bullshit.

do you think that jump potions are pay to win bullshit?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

my favorite parts of wow legion:

playing my class optimally but being unable to ever catch up to another person of the same class in my raid because he lucksacked optimal legendaries and i got a sephuz ring

never getting loot from an entire raid tier because i already outgeared it just from running M+ or world quests, or if i did it was for transmog or a sidegrade.

lol at anyone who claims gear diversity, you stack one Really Good Stat at the expense of everything else and you're good to go.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

gw2 has actual raid content and the tank/healer/dps trifecta is a thing for them. apparently they are pretty good and challenging.

specifically, mesmers are tanks with their chronomancer spec, and rangers can heal with their druid spec (while still doing damage) and there's something else that heals (other than incidental healign) that i can't remember what it was.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Are all the goons still on Excalibur or whatever the gently caress server it was?

yes

come play with us, vargatron!! you can play a ninja, it'll be just like old times.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Hello friends, I am forming a static for Stormblood! I've got a post over here on catgirl.bargains, which also has https now!

https://catgirl.bargains/topic/53-thals-balls/

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Stormgale posted:

I am doing the same but for cool EU peeps who want low pings and more french people on their servers:

https://catgirl.bargains/topic/40-eurovision-raid-contest/

if there's one thing ive learned from ilifin in the past week it's that french people are bad at the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Pray return to the waking sands.

i kept track of how many times i was specifically asked to return to the waking sands (so excluding things like returning to pick up ifrit/titan/garuda hm, etc.) when i leveled my newest character and the total count was around 20.

• Locked thread