Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Am I doing this right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Downtime posted:

Can finally get some rest!

REPAIR YOUR poo poo OH MY GOD

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The only thing bad I can say about DRK is that it's sort of lame that they have -10% damage tied to a parry proc with a maximum uptime of 66%. And while Sole Survivor is absolutely hilarious it's also only slightly less underwhelming than NIN getting two enmity-modifying skills. I don't think the :siren: hardcore world first :siren: progression groups will bother with DRK unless SE changes it but who gives a gently caress about those people anyway, I have a bigass sword.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

It's too bad that Sole Survivor isn't the comedy button we were told it was, but at least it'll get used some now.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also, the -10% damage debuff from the DRK's Reprisal stacks with the WAR's Storm's Path.

Oh.
Oh.

I guess this makes sense since otherwise WAR and DRK wouldn't have much in the way of cooperative debuffs.
And now it makes sense that you can't get 100% uptime on Reprisal, or use it while not tanking anything, since you can achieve -30% magical damage dealt from a boss with DRK/WAR.
It would still be nice if there was some way of using it when you need it without having to hope for a timely parry, though. Maybe through Dark Arts.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Arthil posted:

I mean, I guess technically that gif shows one in a robe so you kinda don't get mooned.

I think if you're wearing an outfit which results in you getting mooned you've already gone well over the fetish threshold under your own power.

On that note, it's kind of a bummer that the new jobs don't get AF gear, so it looks like you're mostly rocking the coliseum sets from 44-50. Not that the greater healer population needed an excuse to dress entirely in swimsuits and underpants, since that seems to be part of their code or something.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

a cat on an apple posted:

Adamantoise Tears until your eyes fall out
Something something
St. Coinach as soon as you can handle it (everything but the /beckon leve)

There's a coerthas leve that is the same type as the adamantoise tears but I forget what it's called.
Also if you have a lot of rested xp there are some level ranges (starting with Cutter's Cry access I think) where running dungeons is better exp/hr than the leves (unless you get two MCHs).

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

I'd wait until Alex Savage or even 3.1 to see how they balance classes out but as it stands w/r/t Warrior supremacy but DRK is a fine MT (Reprisal stacking with Path is hilarious) and an okay OT (Delirium gives you more flexibility in group comp aka No Monks Allowed). I think the real issue is that DRKs have no free on GCD abilities to give them a TP break, making them more reliant on Spire, Goad or hoovering up Rook/Paeon with the other melee DPS.

PLD is really in the same boat, ignoring time spent casting their new heal, except DRK is actually better off since they have a really good DoT that only costs 60TP, and since their ranged attack costs MP instead of a whole bunch of TP they can spend GCDs on that if they absolutely run out of TP, or if they find themselves out of range of their target and between combos.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

Paladins have always been able to use Bulwark or cast Stoneskin at specific times in a fight to recover TP. With Shelltron they can use it on cooldown to get more Shield Swipes (which now have an emnity bonus) to save TP or use it instead of Bulwark to mitigate a single tankbuster attack, letting them use Bulwark more freely as a DPS and TP cooldown. Along with Clemency that's four buttons that Paladins can press to save TP while doing something useful with their GCD (even more so now that PLD Stoneskin is the same as WHM Stoneskin!). Hell, you can even cast Protect when someone is rezzed to save your healers the GCD or two.

I mean I guess you could use Unmend as a filler between combos to save TP but that's definitely deep into the Feelbad Zone.

Ah, yeah, I forgot about Bulwark+Shield Swipe.
Yeah, DRK TP recovery is crappy.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

And that's offset by DRK having other buttons to hit that cost no TP, either because they cost nothing or they cost MP and mana management is the big game for them. Like, DRK can have other issues but TP problems aren't even on the list.

If you're fighting a boss you're going to run out of TP and you will then have to do suboptimal things, which are better things than when other tanks run out of TP but still suboptimal. WAR is better off than DRK because they have zero-TP weaponskills they can use sometimes and in a real pinch I think they can stance dance and regain some TP.

fadam posted:

Do DKs have assy threat generation or something? I've seen two different DK MTs have the boss ripped off of them during burn phases by the OT and a BLM.

I'm pretty sure that the issue is that it's easier to tunnel vision away from your threat generation as a DRK than the others. For WAR, your highest potency combo is your threat combo in the first place. For PLD, your enmity combo is a good debuff. For DRK, your enmity combo is a combo in which you aren't generating extra MP.
Add to that people dropping Grit on bosses (which I don't think DRK can get away with like the other tanks for this exact reason) and you have a recipe for "oh god why did the boss turn around?".

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Mr. Vile posted:

DRK hate generation is completely and absolutely bonkers. Like, "Tank entire dungeons without touching your enmity 1-2-3 combo" bonkers.

Yeah but it's not "tank a boss without using either enmity combo or Grit" bonkers.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Why do dark knights hold their sword like retards? I bet SE is having a very good laugh right now.

It's a variation of a longsword fencing stance that can be found in historical documents and diagrams relating to the subject.
The only thing odd about it is that the real-world stance usually pointed the sword toward the throat of the enemy rather than at a downward angle, and the posture was more upright, but it looks cooler this way so :shrug:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

brokenknee posted:

Do you think Aero III affords us an opportunity to have consistent damage on mob trash pulls?

I dunno about the other things but even on single target Aero 3 is like the third best DoT in the game for damage per cast, I think.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

johnny park posted:

Oh. So is there a point to using Fuma Shuriken at all, then? I figured they wouldn't just give you a straight replacement skill 5 levels later.

The differences between the two are that Fuma has a 25y range, is physical/slashing damage, and only takes one mudra to cast so it's hard for lag to cock it up. Raiton has a 15y range, is magical damage, and takes two mudra.
As a result, there are more viable uses for Fuma than there are for Hyoton, at least.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Forward_Bee posted:

Lvl 59 WHM here, about to hit 60 and finish up class quests. I won't give away any spoilers, but I feel safe in saying that I have the cleanest taint in all of Eorzea.

The Tale of the White Mage, Part 2: The Padjal and the Sacred Bidet

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Truga posted:

I'm using an ancient set of cards (2x radeon 6970s) and getting absolutely no crashes, contrary to the dx9 client, where I had about a crash a week. Are the people getting crashes on newer or older cards? I was going to upgrade to a 980ti because maxing everything makes dx11 run like poo poo with my current gpus, but now I'm not sure :ohdear:

I'm on a 970 and, other than one instance where my display drivers crashed the other day, it only ever crashes when I exit the game.
On the other hand, it always crashes when I exit the game.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

This has been my exact experience with the 970 as well. I have a stock one with no overclocks. Very stable and works great in fullscreen windowed 1440p and while I tend to not hit 60fps (closer to 50 :ohdear: ) when I crank it to max, it's been very stable other than the weird crash when closing. I, too, assumed it was some weird Windows 8 whatever. Maybe it is.

It's not a weird Windows 8 thing since I'm still on 7. It's also not necessarily related to the video card, although it could be. When the game crashed in the middle it was an obvious driver crash, i.e. the video was gone so I was looking at my desktop but the game was still running and the audio still playing and such. And it took Firefox down with it, which is something that happens semioften when I have a display driver crash (and I played through The Witcher three weeks ago so I have had plenty of run-ins with display driver crashes).

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I know the answer is "because pubbies" but I don't understand how people find DRK tanking hard. Do a DA Power Slash once or twice at the start, put up that debuff I can't remember the name of if you don't have a monk, use Blood Price when something's hitting you (not when Ravana's hitting the offtank, you dumbass :cripes:), turn off Grit only when you drat well know there's nothing to tank, job done. Everything else is either the same as the other tanks or just plain cherry on top (doubling up on DA with Dark Passenger or Carve and Spit, DA'ing Dark Mind or Dark Dance, dark darkity dark).

If the enmity numbers I've seen tossed around are accurate, using Dark Arts on power slash is a waste of MP. It looks like the DA bonus is only about 15% more enmity.
For that matter, unless your DPS outgear you a lot it's a waste of GCDs to use Power Slash at all, in my experience, unless you want to dump enough enmity on an add that you can ignore it until it does, or are tanking without Grit against some 4man boss that hits like a wet noodle. I did some badrough napkin math and if you compare an MP neutral "spam Souleater" Grit combo to an MP neutral "Oh god I have to make every other combo Power Slash to keep threat" non-Grit combo, the latter comes out ahead.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I'm not entirely sure why so many people think the sky is falling with the DRK fix. You're losing 200 potency a minute from DA Dark Passenger (as opposed to regular Dark Passenger) and 140 potency a minute from the Souleater you would've comboed with Carve (assuming those went together, I haven't gotten to 60 yet to see). That's under 6 potency per second lost which isn't enough to cause any real upsets.
We're not losing much defensively either because DA Dark Dance is garbage in the first place and I, at least, never had any luck getting DA Dark Mind to double up with Souleater.

The bugs that got introduced kind of suck, though. DA DP blind was great for big packs of trash.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Did DRG get any improvements to AoE in Heavensward? While DRK is bugged I figure I might as well level a DPS instead of gearing it up, and I'm (STILL) debating between it and SMN.

The new DRK bugs are really pretty inconsequential, so I wouldn't let that stop you from playing it.
If what you want is big AoE, SMN is apparently the way to go right now. PAINFLARE

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The Chairman posted:

This is a perfect example of how terrible the XI combat design team was for the first few years: they gave Samurai a fairly high parry skill and an ability that'd let them ignore one physical attack every 30 seconds or so and figured that would make them sufficiently good tanks, while they gave Ninja a spell that'd let them ignore seven attacks every minute (in a system where enemies attacked once every 6-8 seconds) but expected them to be a support class with all their random debuff ninjutsu.

I think the problem is actually worse than this. FFXI always felt like the developers didn't recognize that the player base would gravitate towards optimal strategies, and seemed to assume that, especially while leveling, players would behave similar to party members in an single player FF. I think their intention was that people would let aggro bounce around between the melee jobs and nobody would worry about intentionally generating enmity unless a monster went after a mage. So you end up seeing melee gear with +enmity and caster gear with -enmity. Plus you would see things like a piece of artifact armor with only defensive stats for a job people only used for damage. This is also why basically every melee job had abilities that either helped them while being attacked or caused them to generate more enmity.

As far as bringing skillchains to FFXIV, the only way I think they could do it is by giving the limit break system an overhaul and making limit break activation a cooperative activity of some sort. I don't know if that would necessarily be an improvement, and I don't think they're likely to do it right after adding unique LB3 animations for everyone, but if they decided to give that a shot it might be interesting.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

So it takes you 20 mins to run it just going with the dungeon, 25 mins if you hunt all the packs. It seems it would be better just to start another dungeon instead of hunting packs because the dungeons will always have mobs to kill. Don't know how you would be annoyed with that.

You realize that not everyone just gets to jump right into another dungeon, right? I don't know if the drk gravy train is still going but a dps queueing for a low level dungeon could be looking at a half hour wait. Aside from the wait time skewing the value they place on exp per dungeon run, its more likely they won't have time for another run since they have to have an hour free to do a twenty minute dungeon.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

nuru posted:

Is it a generic token, or for a specific piece? Open rolling?

It looks like there's one token per left hand slot and one token that covers all accessories. Each floor has three tokens it can potentially drop. The number of tokens you need for a piece of gear depends on the piece (legs and body are 4, head hands feet 2, and belt/accs 1 if I understand correctly).

This means they've eliminated a lot of the "a thing dropped that nobody here wants now or ever", and the likelihood that you'll see the thing you want when the boss dies is greater. On the other hand, you now have to win up to 4 lots in order to get the actual item you're after. I want to be optimistic about this but I'm left with this feeling of "hey, remember trying to get sands of time in ST?".

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Etrips posted:

Also holy poo poo what race do I play? :supaburn:

Never not potato.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

This isn't actually the optimal path if you include Esoterics and also plan to do Savage Alex when it comes out.

Well, it's one of a few arrangements that allows you to get all the things in four weeks.
But first you have to ask yourself if you even want all of the things. The tank body, for example, is a huge piece of garbage and doesn't even look cool.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I don't miss EQ. On my warrior I didn't even bother farming SOW boots, someone gave them to me out of pity.

SOW boots let you cast a movement speed buff one of the classes could do.

No, you bastard, I had struck all these memories from my mind, and now thanks to your carelessness they return, unbidden!

SOW PLZ

If nobody knows what we're talking about, imagine if sprint was a 10 minute buff, which you cast on other people, but only MCH was able to cast it.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

On the subject of "But the community was so much better in FFXI!", the reason why a lot of people probably think this is because the gameplay in FFXI was so non-existent that during combat, especially while leveling, you generally had enough time to type out a few full sentences before you actually had to provide any actual input. In this game's analogue to the leveling party involves pressing a shitton of buttons without much pause for 20-40 minutes, so people generally don't talk as much in DF dungeons.

So what I'm saying is, something people bring up as one of FFXI's good points is actually just more evidence of why the game was bad.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

So how are Kefka and Cloud of Darkness coming into FFXIV? Is Gilgamesh running a travel agency now? Or do we just not know yet?

They aren't meant to literally be the same characters from their original series. CoD, and in fact all of Crystal Tower, was adapted into FFXIV's storyline (as opposed to characters like Lightning, Gilgamesh, and Shantotto).

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I liked the alex token system a lot more before I realized that there were different tokens for each slot.

I think it would be at least 50% less poo poo if there were literally just "left side gear token" and "right side gear token".

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

Unleash is Flash except it does damage and Abyssal Drain is Overpower except it's ranged. What this means is that Unleash does not need a target while Abyssal Drain does more damage (and Dark Arts lets it leech a ton of HP) and more emnity at the cost of MP. The major difference between the two is that Unleash does not break your weapon skill combos while Abyssal Drain does (so exactly like Flash vs Overpower).

Also, pull with Unmend so you can hope for the free Unleash.

Bolded for not true. Unleash has a higher enmity mod so they both give the same amount.
Unleash is also more potency per MP so if you aren't swimming in Blood Price MP but have several targets to hit at once Unleash might be more damage before you go dry.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

All Str right side (across like 25 ilvls), all stats into Str. I was going 1-1-1 Path-Eye-Block in Deliverance and steadily swapping aggro with him after 6-7 combos. I couldn't slow down too much or else I'd drop down to 3rd.

One thing to realize is that the optimal Drk rotation involves never using their enmity combo ever, which is generally sufficient unless undergeared or the OT is spamming threat

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Maybe in single tank content or something but I'm pretty sure it's better overall dps if you use your enmity combo enough and absorb the slight dmg per gcd loss compared to having your OT skip entire GCDs.

If you're literally skipping GCDs instead of just using an Eye combo instead of a Butcher combo you are loving up bad.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

FaintlyQuaint posted:

DRK is mediocre for everything except MT DPS.

Lots of weird decisions floating around the job, out of all three new ones it's the middle of the road/average one. Out of all three of the tanks it's probably the weakest party contribution wise.

I've been feeling this way myself.
PLD can drop a damage shield on the party with a long CD. MT PLD takes less damage. OT PLD can heal people.
WAR does a lot of damage and can have 100% uptime on either -10% damage dealt or +10% slashing damage. OT WAR can do both. If WAR uses their slashing debuff, a NIN in the party can skip theirs for a DPS increase. WAR also has a "give me a bunch of HP or TP" button.
DRK has int down. If there's a mnk in the party, the mnk still has to use dragon kick. They also have -10% damage taken, but on a CD and only if they parry, so no using it if you're OT. Their Sentinel-alike is just worse than what the other two tanks get; I feel like it should get a DA bonus, like +50% duration. Their "don't die" button is good in theory but in practice is harder to not die with than the other two tanks.
My real problem is that a lot of the buttons feel like poo poo to use.
1) Dark Mind is weird. There are very few cases where you would want to use it, but not DA it. Why not just give it a big MP cost so it wouldn't be awkward to use?
2) Dark Dance is lovely, and DA Dark Dance is dumb.
3) Dark Arts combined with anything that already costs MP feels bad. This is mostly because you would only do this when AoEing and once your 15 seconds of Blood Price MP is gone, dumping all that MP means you have to stop actually AoEing. You could AoE three times, or you could AoE once and get a Cure worth of HP back.

And that's combined with how much of a slog it is to get your MP back when Blood Price is down or you aren't getting hit much for a long stretch of time.

Also it's the only tank with no good way to regulate their TP use other than "spam ranged attack".

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't think AST and DRK are underpowered or whatever. Maybe I'll eat my words in savage Alex when one of our healers and I are forced to go PLD/SCH or something but while I think both could use a tiny buff or something I don't think they're in a terribly bad place.

DRK isn't in like, 2.0 WAR's position or anything. It just feels like it has some rough edges and some weird design bits that could stand to be tweaked. I'll be surprised if people throw it to the side the way they did WAR back then, but it might find itself in a situation similar to SMN in the early bits of fcob where nobody wanted them because all the gear was spell speed and they ran out of MP in five seconds.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

I think DRK is most of the way there to being a good tank. They've got a niche in "absolutely bonkers emnity generation", though I'm not sure how valuable that is. Msybe if there were some fights that forced emnity management as an issue? Or they got some skills that let them 'spend' emnity to do stuff.

I think they're going to get a boost to their life drain type skills, maybe some additional life drain stuff, to address their current iffy durability. Behaving like there's a third healer in the party would make for a distinct route of durability from the WAR and PLD.

Edit: Speaking of tanking styles, anyone hoping a proper Evasion tank gets added eventually? Dunban in Xenoblade was a lot of fun. I know it's hard to balance, but I'd love to see it done right.

They already "spend" their enmity on "using only weaponskill combos that don't generate bonus enmity so they can have MP to do things"

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

Dark Passenger without DA gives you more damage per MP spent than DA Soul Eater and is off GCD and also aoe.

This. Unless you've messed up and have no MP you should basically be using it on cooldown.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I think Provoke macros are pretty useless too but just because Belzac hasn't been posting lately doesn't mean you need to fill the shitposting void his absence has left.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

mightygerm posted:

Non-elemental. I don't think this has any actual gameplay applications, however.

I feel like it's mostly just a shortcut for "we couldn't think of a thematically appropriate element for this but wanted to make it clear that it is magic damage as opposed to physical".

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

It's probably "part of the standard" but it isn't actually normal to find a keyboard with those keys and a lot of software doesn't bother supporting them. Which is a shame because I'd love to bind extraneous mouse buttons to some of them to get around lack of support for 6+ mice buttons in stuff without using a key that's actually on my keyboard.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Rei_ posted:

I like how the red square on the aggro chart actually blinks based on how solid your threat lead is but it's such a loving awful indicator that no one ever uses or notices it

What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I think the alex system would be ok if it dropped 4-6 things per clear instead of two.

• Locked thread