Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Too much hype. Can't sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bombogenesis posted:

Even Adamantoise is full. drat.

I think when servers come back online they increase capacity in tiers.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

If they can keep the VAs consistent going forward, I'm all for the change. I have a feeling the original cast was done on a budget, and with the success of ARR they probably went with a higher quality (and thus more expensive) cast for HW.

Some of them are actually the same people, just maybe better directed.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Velveteen posted:

I reached lv 20 in the trial. A question about upgrading to the full game and recruit a friend. It doesn't specify on the page if you need a new account to use a code or if you could use the code while upgrading. It just says "When your friend receives your message with the enclosed recruitment code, have them create a Square Enix account if they have yet to do so, then register the recruitment code via the Mog Station." Another thing is the code like a one time use? Say if I don't commit after the free 30 days do the person get screwed out of a friend code.

I'll probably be poking around on other classes to see what its like for a bit.

You need to use it before you commit cash. They're not one time, you can generate one every 3 hours.

Hit up the thread in PGS and grab one. Some come with rewards for use attached.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Meiteron posted:

Well I found it a more existential grim for the first "Act" (which ends at the Aery), where you have the plucky party trekking through the wilderness to find the one Good Dragon who wants peace to try and resolve this war without bloodshed, and there are trials and obstacles and character growth.

And if this were a standard final fantasy you'd reach the Good Dragon and figure out how to resolve things happily but you get there and the Good Dragon is all "no, really, we loving hate you for legitimately understandable reasons and just because I'm not out there murdering as many of you as I can doesn't mean I'm interested in helping you. Piss off." and you're left with no good options but to continue a cycle of violence.

And then more stuff happens but you haven't gotten to it yet.

Not only that but good dragon really isn't good dragon at all, he's bitter, sad-brains dragon. Also, your country is a total lie, hey Iceheart, all your faith? All lies too. Also, the war? It's not really a war, it's an horrific unending troll by a very angry dragon

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 23, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

book posted:

Thought they said they trapped her to consume her eyes to gain the dragon's power.

There might be more too it though, eventually. The knights seemed pretty beat up about what happened. Not just about Thordan dying, but what they did themselves.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bonewitch posted:

I think my favourite part of the 3.0 story line so far might actually be how obtuse, unobservant, or just dumb most of the characters are.

(~58 spoiler) Like during Lucia's character reveal when she rides in on Livia's magitek armor, nobody bats an eye or mentions it for 3 cutscenes

(~55 spoiler) Or when you kill Nidhogg and find out an eye missing and nobody even starts to go "Hmm, a dread wyrm eye is missing, thats pretty powerful, maybe we should look into that?" or even mentions it

(~59 spoiler) Or when Y'shtola comes out of the lifestream very obviously blind with huge cataracts on her eyes and nobody mentions a thing until Motoya points it out

(60 spoiler) And my favourite, when Estien complains the entire msq about how powerful the eye is, and how hard it for him to control, and then he just casually picks up the second one at the end of the MSQ like what are you expecting dude lmao

(60 spoiler) I also love the implication that your character is going to become a primal in a future patch

55: You wonder that like almost immediately
59: No one says anything because she says something about her eyes almost immediately after waking up, Motoya only conveys that it's also going to eventually kill her. Also, does that make Y'shtola Daredevil?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nebilim posted:

Where does the music at about 4:48 in this video play? It's obviously the Dravanian Forelands theme but it's a different version from anything I've heard in-game.

It's uh right there in the video. It's the Churning Mists theme.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:(
http://whenarrowssing.tumblr.com/post/122457854538/ooc-noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-i-knew
http://whenarrowssing.tumblr.com/post/122458005693/ooc-why-did-i-do-this-one

I love that the writing team goes back and makes the world feel lived in

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rock2much posted:

Is guildwork dead?

Yes, I believe the old dev abandoned it. There's another guy that picked it up and it working on a HW compatible version.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Source on that?

You know how to use the google don't you?

http://guildwork.com/broadcasts/55845ad7002aa856e1163db2

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jia posted:

What am I missing?

Needs to be HQ.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wish there were more dialog options. After Thordan dumpsters Lahabrea and gives his little speech I wanted there to be an option for your PC to be able to give him a thumbs up. "Ya whatever man, your plan sounds good"
I like that they've taken the time by and large to make understandable villains.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Klades posted:

It's a variation of a longsword fencing stance that can be found in historical documents and diagrams relating to the subject.
The only thing odd about it is that the real-world stance usually pointed the sword toward the throat of the enemy rather than at a downward angle, and the posture was more upright, but it looks cooler this way so :shrug:

I also like the the animations are done so that it looks likes you're barely in control on something that probably weighs 70 pounds.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rafzakael posted:

I'm working on my second 60, white mage, and I'm firmly of the belief that dungeons are the best way to go

I've been at this for about 25 hours did the math, 29.5 hours from 51-58, and that's with almost instant queues

it sucks

armory bonus dungeon exp that I've gotten without rested bonus but with food bonus:

Dusk Vigil: ~250k per run
Sohm Al: ~275k per run
Aery: ~345k per run
Vault: ~385k per run

editedit: also out of all those runs, I've only seen a dungeong pet drop once, it was the panda from aery; those things barely drop at all

What's your time per dungeon?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Whenever I run into Praetorium newbies I tell them to skip the cutscenes so they can see the bosses and hear the cool music, then watch the cutscenes later. Usually they're chill with it when spun that way. (And honestly it's true, the music for Ultima Weapon pt2 owns all of the goddamn bones even now.)

Question about SMN, do you find yourselves out of Aetherflow the vast majority of the time? Even against single targets I'm out of stacks in the first 30 seconds just from Fester; I can't imagine how fast it'll go with Painflare added to the mix.

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27550

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Does Ruin III have any use case before Dreadwyrm Trance?

Beating on mobs where depleting your mp isn't an issue.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rock2much posted:

Rusty caps and black sole.

You mean moat carp.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jim truds posted:

Wait, I somehow missed this. People are using those Fates to level to 60? Do they hate fun?

FATES in HW zone's just don't reward greater enough XP to make them worth it.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 2, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

oh what's that, it's just people tackling the most current content in the game with nothing more than respect for each other, dedication, and a shared, genuine desire to git gud

Cid's Angels, the catch up linkshell, has surpassed some genuine statics in tackling progression content. And while there's no way for this to not come off as self aggrandizing, the fact of the matter is that the membership of this silly linkshell is stellar, and continues to amaze and surpass expectations every day, thanks to both the experienced players helping the scrubs out, and the scrubs being so curious and ready to learn.

And with Alexander raiding making it ever kinder to swap people in and out of progression groups without hurting loot drops and etc, I expect us to get better and better.

The gist is that high end raiding in this game is freaking fun as heck, and the more people we get doing it, the more fun and success is shared by all, regardless of whether they can fit into a static's schedule or not.

Curse you, the need for sleep.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Room spam was nerfed in 3.0, as I recall.

Sub 50 armory bonus kind of made up for it I thought.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Man, ACT is depressing as poo poo. I installed it a few days ago and just did almost triple the damage output as a mediocre BRD than the NIN in HLDR :smith:

Kinda get what you jerks are talking about re: poo poo dps players.

No, the depth of depression is going into it as a Paladin and having the dps lead by over 100.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Yeah the DX11 friendly client has been working for a week now so I guess the email is "late" because they just really wanted to make sure it worked fine in the wild before telling everyone to upgrade.

Beta vs out of Beta situation I think.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every time this DF Ninja used Trick Attack.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ghostinmyshell posted:

drat! BugdadEX down in 4:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhmbzwASX0

I still haven't done the encounter yet. Seemed like everyone did it the first week and stopped doing it like BismarkEX :smith:

There's always a boatload of PF's for it every day/night in Excal.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doublestep posted:

I want them to steal the EQ cleric/WoW paladin gimmick of summoning hammers and throwing them at people

I'd rather them go all in and steal the Warrior Priest.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

vOv posted:

Curses, we've fallen right into the puppetmaster's trap!

I think I'm going to level up SMN for a while; I have it at 50 because I levelled up SCH, and once I take it to 60 I'll both be able to dragonlaser dudes and have a healer at 60.

... you know, in retrospect, the fact that Summoners get abilities from Bahamut kind of spoils the plot twist that Bahamut is actually a primal in the image of a long-dead dragon, doesn't it.

If you read words during 2.0 it's not really a twist.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

vanbags posted:

Can anyone identify this set? It looks like warrior relic things, but I've never seen any of it. I know the axe is from Ramuh.

i90 Warrior AF.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Failboattootoot posted:

Tell me your fishing secrets because I have never had any luck with perch!

Waterfall sightseeing cave, goblin jig.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Meiteron posted:

you know when I read that sentence by itself I do feel a bit unsettled

Also I'm devoting a large portion of brainpower to actively repressing the staggering amount of time the average person who wants to gear everything will spend mindlessly hitting the same gather points burning favors, because if I ever admit that concept into my thoughts I'll probaaefbfdafkbls;fbfgbfvsdfbdk

You mean mindlessly fish while watching Netflix right?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I wish I could have that back instead of the Garuda-egi :sigh:

One day.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

No bot can do a dungeon. The only bots are in a group of 4 blm teleporting above bosses insta casting flare.

Hopefully not serious. There's dungeon bots everywhere.

You can usually tell bots because they will sometimes only move as far the furthest other player. PLD bots will commonly only use flash and fast/riot fast/riot over and over.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Chairman posted:

Nobody knows; there probably wasn't even an intended strategy. Almost every XI boss up until recently was essentially a collection of various special attacks that fire off at random, so any kind of strategy beyond "keep it stunned as long as possible while gimmick build DDs burn it down" wasn't an option.

At certain HP thresholds, the lamp adds would all simultaneously use a summoner ability called "Astral Flow", essentially an 8-fold limit break; the only way people figured out how to handle this was to have one person hit all the lamps right when they spawn and then sacrifice themselves.

What I think is best about a lot of the FFXI nostalgia is that there was a long stretch of the game where voice coms weren't a thing yet. I remember doing Dynamis and Sky runs all in the horrible chat box.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Meiteron posted:

This is gonna be a bit spotty but here's what I remember from both reports of the era and speculation afterwards. Note that the time between him being spawned for the first time and the marathon run shutting everything down was only a couple of weeks. This blew up in SE's face pretty drat fast.

Every form of PW would spawn with 8 Pandemonium Lamp adds; PW's main form would emulate one of the many major bosses of his expansion, and his lamps would be themed similarly. A beastman king form, for example, would have lesser beastmen as the lamps. If all 8 were killed they would respawn with the next PW form, and if they were left alive they would despawn and reappear in their new appearance whenever PW switched forms.

The best guess people had was that something with either killing or not killing the lamps would let him skip forms. His forms were grouped into sets; 4 raid boss forms, 3 beastmen king forms, so on and so forth. He would choose forms within a set in a random order then move onto the next, although a couple groups making attempts reported instances where he'd only use one form from a set, then skip to the next set entirely when it was killed. That would mean you could reach his "final" form by killing only 5 forms before that instead of 20, if you did it right.

Understand that each form was like a 20-60 minute fight, with repeated wipes and recoveries. So even if you stripped the fight down to one form per set it would have been 5 hours or longer. His "last" form, where he takes his unique appearance, not only spawned 8 normal lamps but every 25% health would summon eight more whose only purpose was to throw a ludicrous amount of raid damage around, basically instantly wiping the group. You were either supposed to have a controlled wipe and recovery, or some kind of positioning which would only kill half your group or something like that. We'll never know. The marathon attempt ended here, when he wiped the group in about 2 seconds at 75% of his health and the group making the attempt realized they'd have to deal with that three times to kill him. It all fell apart after that.

Anyway the whole marathon attempt got a fair amount of play in MMO websites along the lines of "haha look how utterly hosed up FFXI is" and in response SE totally retooled the fight. They stripped half the forms out, dropped the total HP by like 80% on everything. In return he now has a 2 hour "timer" from the point that he's spawned and if his final form isn't killed in those 2 hours, he just despawns with a little message about how disappointed he is with you (because SE never passes up a chance to be a dick to FFXI players). It is a total DPS race from start to finish because you needed to go full burn for those 2 hours to make it in time.

And here's what he's reduced to now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPbsHhbi4LE

When I read about it all way back when, I expected to see this awesome boss, and not just a dude sitting in a floating chair.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ps am no frog posted:

You don't bane but shadow flare and painflare are both aoes that don't diminish and they add up with deathflare not to mention that all egi enkindles are aoe.

And Shadowflare.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Velveteen posted:

I like Ramuh's theme music the most out of all the primals. Its very relaxing. I also like Good King Mog's theme because its so playful.

Shiva part 1 is the best.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doublestep posted:

drat do you have that bookmarked

It's the top search result if you search for Fastest Wipe in the West.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Well, first of all, I'm MAELSTRONG, but the reason I ask is because sometimes I just get tired of healing and want to kill someone but I'll never kill anything as AST.

Summoner.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

pvp is completely balanced and not soul crushingly poo poo at matchmaking at all

promise

You can ask them to switch classes since there's no restriction on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

50-51 still seems like a hassle.

MS, High Level, Leveling roulette plus your daily hunts. Poof level 51.

• Locked thread