Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hello all, complete noob here. I got Christmas money that I am burning to waste and I love Final Fantasy. I just have a couple questions before I sink it into his one in particular.

1) How is the solo experience? Typically when I play MMOs, I end up walking away from them after a short while because it gets pretty boring playing alone. I don't have any mates with a PS4 who are willing to sink the same cash and time that I am. I did manage to complete Destiny's main campaign without getting bored and I'm not even an FPS guy for whatever that's worth.

2) Is the game fairly balanced? I will do what I want regardless, but I'm curious if there's some agreed upon class that's better than the rest. If min-maxing is a thing.

3) If there are any other noob tips that aren't covered in the OP I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'd like to play as a Thief, but I see that you can't until level 10. I also see that you have to level up as a punch man to be a Ninja. So at the start should I just roll a punchy dude?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

If you want to be a rogue/ninja you can either start as a pugilist like you said, or as an arcanist or marauder if you want to unlock rogue as soon as possible. Those two classes are in the same city as the rogue's guild, but pugilist is in a different city and you can't travel to different cities until you reach level 15.

I definitely want to switch as soon as possible. Which would you prefer for fun? Arcanist or Marauder? I've never played as a caster before.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Back and still playing. Took a vacation, so I'm only level 7, but I did manage to get into the game. It seems like a fun ride. I decided to go with a Marauder so I could become Thief-y as soon as possible. I picked a cat dude in honor of the thread. Question, is there a way to display an arrow or Bat Signal or something to point me towards quests I specifically want to follow? I know you can view them on the map, but that's not as useful as it might seem when you're not very good at things. It'd be great if I could just have a little arrow around my character that points in the way I want to go.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I also wanted to ask how cosmetics work. Can you do the thing where you get the bonus from an item, but you can look however you please like DC Universe Online? I didn't see the option for it, but I also haven't navigated the HUD to its fullest extent. Cats don't wear eyepatches.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's more that the mini map is tiny and I have a tough time seeing the little arrows to point me in the right direction. I also hate scrolling through maps.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No, and thank loving god for it. That's one of the worst aspects of modern game design. "Well, let's assume the player is an idiot and can't read or navigate."

This is a ridiculous sentiment, because nothing is lost by having this as a feature as long as you can turn it off. That way if you wanna navigate, you can. And if you just want to go on stabby adventures, you don't have to dick around with too many menus.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ActionZero posted:

If you go into the HUD setup you can increase the size of your minimap (or any other UI element) by selecting it and pressing ctrl home.

Thank you. I think I'm gonna pick up a solid subscription to this game. I've only been playing it for a couple days, but it's a nice timesink. It feels like a big game as well. I've been following the story quest line for a few hours now and I have to remind myself that I should be running around other areas looking for sidequests and quests from the guild and all that. It's fun being a Rogue.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ambaire posted:

You did pick up an RAF code from the thread in PGS, right? If you're going to subscribe, you'll get some nice bonuses from that. Don't wait until after you sub and it's too late!

Didn't even know about this. Well I bought the game and that gave me 30 days. I'm on PS4. To be honest I'm not even positive on how the subscription works. I think I gotta buy one of those gift card type things. Is it too late?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CrashScreen posted:

Not quite it, but you can flag the location on your map and there'll be an arrow on your mini-map pointing to it. Without a keyboard and mouse in front of me, I'm thinking it's Ctrl+right click but someone would need to confirm. My memory sucks.

I'm having an easier time now, thanks mate. I managed to switch over to Rogue, so now I feel like I'm in the swing of things. Granted level 10 is hardly the swing of things. I wish I had done more sidequests and less storyquests as a Marauder though, because now the grind for Rogue is a bit slower.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
1) Is there a reason to not have Kiss of the Wasp on at all times? At least until I get the other one.
2) How do you deal with swarms? I know FATEs are meant to be done in groups, but sometimes I run into one while just adventuring. And when more than two enemies start fighting me at once, I'm dead as gently caress. is the solution to just run far FAR away if I see a mob or is there a playing strategy that I'm not privy to?

Level 9 Rogue if that matters. I'm on Hyperion and not Excalibur cause the server wasn't accepting when I made my character and I didn't want to wait.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Volume posted:

I can confirm that it's worth waiting. First character was on famfrit but it was kind of difficult getting things going. 2 days later the Excalibur server opened up now I'm having a blast

I believe you, because I can tell quests would be more fun with mates, but I'm not paying $18 and it doesn't sound fun to re-roll just to do the exact same dude.

kafziel posted:

1) Yes, always have your venom on. When one venom is more damage than the other, use that. Eventually they'll be even and it's up to you whether you want a sleep or a stun in Jugulate.
2) Level 9 Rogue is not very high, so there are not a lot of options! But there are things you can do. For now, get some potions. Around 15 or so, you'll be able to go to other city-states - consider getting Pugilist to 8 so you have Second Wind crossclass.

Thanks. What does Second Wind do? Reraise?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Honestly guys, I'm not sure I'm going to sub yet. If I do, I might pay the cash and swap over. As long as I can still do everything solo, I think I'll be alright though honestly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think the gameplay is fun and the story looks like it might be interesting. I don't WANT to play alone, but I also don't wanna slap down 20 bucks to make goon friends. My thought process has always been that if I need friends for the game to be fun, it's not worth picking up. I've been wrong tons of times in life. If it sucks, I'll make the hop.

On an unrelated note, it's 50 when you can start fashion stuff, yeah? Because right now I'm rockin oven mitts and baby blue boxers and considering I'm already playing a cat dude, I look like bad fanfiction. Like a hooker in bad fanfiction.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Scrublord Prime posted:

Keep your left side gear up to date, especially your weapon as weapon damage is the king of stats in FF14.

There'll always be some stuff you can't solo (Fate Super Bosses) but a healer chocobo helps a lot once it learns Chococure.

Noted. Should I be purchasing weapons? I've just been upgrading as they come to me in the story missions/guild quests.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Do the story quests have an overarching plot this early on? I'll grant that I'm not giving the cutscenes without voice acting my full attention, but I don't know that this all means anything. I was working at Summerford and this one dude apparently was dealing with some shady people. They made me fight a golem. I guess they're working with Sahagin which I recognize as the fish guys from other FFs. But now I'm by the docks protecting this super ship. They don't seem to really relate to each other much beyond building my name as a cool dude around Noscea. Is that the point? I'm just contrasting it to the Rogue's Guild quests which all seem to flow together in one way or another.

Also, I've come across quite a few hooded robe things that don't allow you to equip helmets. Are they ever worth giving up helmets?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
For those who were worried about me not having any fun, I found goons on Hyperion. They're nice dudes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

UglyDucklett posted:

Glad you're enjoying playing on the best server! I'm Jinh Charizard in game, let's kill stuff together sometime.

Hell yeah! I was actually just staring at the World Transfer screen debating if I want to see what this Excalibur thing is all about when I checked in on the thread and saw this post. I'm taking it as a sign.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I realized you could make more than 1 dude, so I decided to see if Excalibur was open when I got off work. It was! So I have a guy in my back pocket whenever I want to give it a whirl.

Came to ask when you can ride poo poo though. I want one of those flaming horses in blue.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well, it looks like I'll be in this game for a while then. A chocobo or unicorn will not do. I need a magic horse. Level 50 sounds like a hell of a grind though.

Is there no option to just go alone? I reached my first dungeon and I have no desire to wait ~20 minutes to get into it.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 17, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Valle posted:

You can keep doing stuff while queued, you can even switch jobs if you want to craft or level another DoW job or whatever. When the queue pops, you just have to switch back before clicking commence.

I figured that out after a couple minutes and then it wasn't bad. First dungeon went fine. I guess Tanks are sorta the de facto party leaders since they gotta go first. I had a couple noob questions that I didn't want to bog him down with during the fight, but I still want to know. What is an add? From context clues I'm guessing it's just enemies that spawn during the boss fight, but I'm not sure. Also, are tanks the only ones that can mark enemies with the little numbers or can everyone do that?

Whizbang posted:

It's an MMO dumbass.

You can totally choose to go alone in DCUO and Maplestory which are the only other MMOs I've ever played. And as you can tell from that illustrious list, I don't know anything about MMOs. Give me a break dude.

And here's my male catgirl!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

a kitten posted:

Anyone can (or maybe just the leader?).

Here's a fairly exhaustive list of FFXIV and general MMO terms, but asking in your group (or here obviously) is fine too.
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dictionary%20of%20Terms%20and%20Slang

Thanks mate, that should be super helpful.

By the way, if anyone ever has suggestions for that skill setup, let me know. I'm always open to criticism. In the first dungeon we wiped because I ran ahead of the tank.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I excitedly await more dungeon stories. I can't see myself ever switching over to healer. Not that I'm not a team player, but that seems like the #1 job to gently caress up.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Summoner looks neat. I see that you can only have minis of 3 of the primals. Will that class eventually get skills patched in for more as more primals enter the lore or is there a lore reason why they can't? I get why they can't summon the true big beasties, but I would think that they could get like Leviathan and Ramuh Egis.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also,

The beginner's hall can't come soon enough.

I'll ask a stupid question. Is Fire III....not better than Fire II?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well yeah, that or making them actually better. Because I can say right now that if I were a caster, I would think "Well 3 must be better than 1" just because that's the way every other Final Fantasy works.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Just because you get something early doesn't mean it's weaker or obsolete.

This is really good to know.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel you. It was definitely a mistake when I ran too far ahead. I didn't really get the concept of a tank pulling all the aggro and letting the DPS go to work until I got my rear end kicked. The tank I ran with was chill about it. I just got a quick "Oh, you're new. Tip: Don't do that poo poo." He also called the strategy for the boss which I'm cool with. I don't mind just followin orders until I know what I"m doing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Thancred is unsettling to me. He looks like a weird hodgepodge of Cloud, Squall, Tidus, and Vaan. Like he echos all of them, but not quite at the same time.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Thanks to goons I went from 1-50 and finished the MSQ in my first week of owning the game.

Wow, that's awesome dude. I thought I was bangin them out by being Level 22 after a few days. Leveling in this game is pretty lax though from what I can tell. Just by doing quests I see and MSQ and Guildquests I'm generally synched for all the MSQs.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I saw someone say that they were more focused on mobs since they get more exp from enemies than from the actual quest completion. Do you guys agree with that statement? Because I don't think I've ever killed enough enemies to get more than the exp bonus I get from finishing a quest. Excepting the level 1 quests I guess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So are the primals the bad guys or is that a religious conversation that nobody is prepared to have?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Belzac posted:

Some primals are big meany heads who want to destroy/enslave all other people of the world.

Some primals are defensive in nature and only want to protect their followers from their enemies.

All primals drain the life from the world by existing so they all must be removed if summoned.

This is what I figured. The lore got interesting with me with Ifrit. Like the universe got older in a more tangible way than with Bahamut in the opener. It felt like Ifrit was kind of a jerk, but at the same time, he kinda didn't ask to be summoned? And it's not quite his fault that his existence is threatening to all life in Eorzea? I'm getting more and more into this game and my wallet is giving me dirty looks.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Two questions. Gotta ask about armor again. I'm level 25 so I started the level 25 Rogue guildquest. You have to go to Costa del Sol which is a level 30 area. I wanted to try my luck, so I aggro'd one of the normally peaceful enemies. Got #rekt. Lookin at my gear, my stabbers are alright, but some of my armor is definitely not level 25. Should I buy gear to even things out? I was told earlier that I should get by on quest rewards. I don't wanna get my rear end kicked though.

Other question. I saw in the Party Finder that a guy wanted to grind Odin for his gear. He specifically mentioned either being or looking for unsynched. What difference does it make if your level is synched? You still get treasure don't you? I have in all the dungeons I've been to and I've been synched every time.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rand Brittain posted:

Primals are basically a metaphor for religious ideology.

FFXIV's opinion of religious ideology is about the same as every other RPG.

I saw that. It's part of what made it really interesting. It looks like the entire next chunk of the game is all about the primals which I'm 100% down for. That Ifrit fight was short, but hype.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Why can't you repeat quests? It wouldn't be worthwhile, but it drives my OCD into overdrive when I see a quest offer me the options of one piece of what is clearly an entire matching gearset. Not matching drives me up the wall. Hell, I even spent the gil on dyes despite the fact that you have to craft/grind for all the good dyes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kibner posted:

They are all just vendor gear you can get for free. Go to the level appropriate area in the zone and you can buy some.

How can I assess which area is level appropriate? By the enemies that spawn outside?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Get goons to make you gear.

At best, it's HQ and has bonus stats relative to non-HW quest rewards.

At worst, they dye every piece a different color, but still HQ.

I would, but I neglected to join the goon server. Pretty cool that that's a thing though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Here. Level maps: http://imgur.com/a/9TW48

They are slightly out of date, as they do not reflect much of the map at its very edges (where presently many beastman tribe daily quest objectives are), but generally speaking, this should give you a general idea of where what level mobs are.

(If anyone knows of an updated source, please share the link?)

Thanks mate, this helps a lot. Just to say it, I'm super appreciative of everyone who's been putting up with my noob questions. I'm just really addicted to this game. I really like the lovely fetch quests and the grinding and the story and all of it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Playing for a few hours a day, I think the story is alright. It goes up and down depending on where I am and what I'm doing. I thought the entire Rogue guild line was fun. Whenever we're building toward a primal, that's fun. The only time I hate MSQ is the middle parts where I'm running errands for a Sylph or something along those lines. The parts that are clearly filler. And I'll admit fault, my eyes glaze over after I've hit X so many times in a cutscene. Rule of thumb is that if voice acting is occurring or a cutscene in pretty graphics, I give it 100% attention. Otherwise I can do fine just glossing over it. Ascians are bad, mask guy is bad, Garleans are bad but kinda off the radar, beast tribes are generally bad but not always, and I'm the only one in the world who can get poo poo done since I can't be "touched". I can't imagine there's much more I'm missing than that, I can see ditching the story.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I get why it's there and why I need it technically, but it's still not fun and I don't think it's impossible to make it more interesting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So far I've been gettin on in dungeons through the DF with the occasional assist from a goon and I'm up to Titan now. Once I say "I'm new" someone takes charge and we get moving. Is that same sort of thing not as viable in the late/endgame dungeons? Like I've never been in a fight where we needed instant orders delivered constantly. A quick talk before the tank pops the boss has done it. FFXIV players are really nice. Every person I've met was super patient and helpful. I haven't seen anyone flip out yet and I definitely wouldn't have been surprised if someone got pissed in Qarn. That dungeon is silly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've been watching Mr. Happy. Like after I finish a dungeon, I watch it on YT to see what I could do better if ever I'm helping FC or future goons do it. Is he...not good at the game?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Warrior of Light posted:

Is that an edelweiss in your pocket or are you just happy to meet me?

I try my hardest not to mash through the textboxes in this game, because the dialogue is A1. The quest names are amazing too. Just read everything at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Am I playing sub-optimally by playing on PS4? I already have quite a few skills and I'm not max level, so I know I'm getting quite a few more. I'm becoming more aware of how few buttons the PS4 controller has compared to a keyboard.

• Locked thread