Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cession posted:

Whats the best way to level from 30-50? Fates? Dungeons?

Be in highest level dungeon queue while running fates. If you haven't done the daily LLDR, queue for that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Internet, that's why.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
At least there's level sync. Lesser games would make you go through all those dungeons at max level. :v:

Demicol posted:

Did someone write down the coords. to unlock Astrologian? Can't see patch notes because of maintenance.

Recommendations window!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Okay i'm confused. It's 9am right now but the internet is telling me its 8am GMT+00? Did they not take daylight savings into account or something?

gently caress.

GMT doesn't observe DST.

e:fb

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It';s upppppppppppppppppppp

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mymla posted:

So on my steam DLC list, I have "Heavensward" and "Heavensward - Standard Edition", with the former marked as not installed, and the latter marked as installed.

What's up with that?

Ignore steam status for games with their own launcher, really.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kuai posted:

So is Excalibur hosed or just the old non instanced zones :negative:

It's excalibur, since everyone in here is getting the same error, no matter where they logged.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yep, I, too, am back to lobby error.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aug posted:

Is there a way to not have it force close the launcher every time?

FF14 has the worst launcher.

No save password, no auto login, no auto start game :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Has anyone tried resetting their retainer to DRK/AST? I made a terrible mistake in picking a job that wasn't mine when I first levelled him up to 50, and I hope to rectify this with a 30 level head-start.

class is not job
job is not class

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

We are still playing an MMO, to be fair

Not really an excuse for lovely "go there, and back again 37 loving times" quests though (hi, forelands/mogs). Guild Wars 2 did the right thing, sidequests there don't make you talk to an idiot on the other side of the map every time you do something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

The Forelands make you run to the random hunter camps a lot and usually you have to take the long way around because of the cliffs, and the Hinterlands divide the whole place in two and make you run back and forth a ton in addition to gating flying to lvl 59. Those are more the kind of things I mean.

Yep. Spending 20 minutes autorunning between NPC A and NPC B repeatedly isn't fun for most people. Everything is really cool, but simply placing two NPCs 3-5 minutes of running apart, and then having the quest literally be "go talk to guy a, then b, 5-6 times, maybe also kill a guy once", is 90s as gently caress, and doesn't belong in a 2015 MMO expansion IMO.

It's dumb, because everything else about this game is insanely good, but this is the exact same thing that made my friend ragequit (the lovely "run between a and b" part of titan prequests). They can do way better, so why do they do this instead I have no idea.

Of course, the good part about the expansion is, all this is optional. I didn't notice any glaring filler like the titan bullshit in MSQ this time, so that's good. If someone doesn't like the sidequests, they can just gently caress off back to grinding dungeons like the drones they are. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Calihan posted:

It's quite a wide-spread problem and seems to be happening on both Radeon and Nvidia cards. Sadly, there does not seem to be any known fix other than using Dx9 for now.

I'm using an ancient set of cards (2x radeon 6970s) and getting absolutely no crashes, contrary to the dx9 client, where I had about a crash a week. Are the people getting crashes on newer or older cards? I was going to upgrade to a 980ti because maxing everything makes dx11 run like poo poo with my current gpus, but now I'm not sure :ohdear:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh dear. So it's like the thing with dungeon entrance/boss walls on the dx9 client then. :v:

I guess I'll wait a bit and see, I'm still waiting for a week or two before buying anyway due to real life reasons. If it's just crashing on exit that's not an issue for me at all (as long as it doesn't lose settings).

e: I'm honestly surprised this working this well this early, especially in my case (crossfire can often poo poo all over a new game). I'm still getting a giant boost (near 100%) from my second card, and all the issues I had with the dx9 client are gone.

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 29, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ouhei posted:

I don't think there's a bracelet from a quest, but if you manage to get to 50 without one of the dungeons throwing something that at least beats out Aug. Ironworks I don't know how you managed. The dungeons vomit accessory pieces.

I got to 60 on my non-aug ironworks bracelet, which I then replaced with a law one to get my ilevel to 145 and get exdr unlocked :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ActionZero posted:

Has anyone else with a female character noticed that the characters in Ishgard randomly change from calling you Mistress to Master partway through the story?

bonewitch posted:

I haven't seen that specifically but there's a variety of bugs involving character's gender. Gender specific titles will often switch entering instances, etc

Never had this myself. Maybe it's connected to (recent?) fantasia use?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Story Garuda is the hardest fight in the game right now I think :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think the fairy stops scaling at 50, since people at 60 report their fairies healing the same as mine does at 50...

Hopefully, that's a bug.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like the whole Enochian thing at the start, but once you do every fight once or twice and know where to move to not get hit by all the orange cones, nailing 100% or close uptime starts being real fun.

And if you fail it, it's not really that big a deal either? It has a higher potency than Fire 1 and 3, but also has a longer cast than fire 1 or firestarter, and you have to keep using fire 1 or firestarter anyway, to keep up astral fire. And you have to still get MP back, and by keeping enochian up with blizz 4 you pretty much lose your "free" thunder cast. So the potency per second doesn't seem *that* much higher to me, at first glance.

Basically, unless you're doing cutting edge content, it doesn't seem like it matters. It's better dps, sure, but much like having i130 didn't matter much unless you were doing final coil, it's probably fairly incosequential.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Velveteen posted:

Finally! I hit 45 and did my scholar quest to get all new scholarly clothes (minus the gown since that's in 5 more levels.)

Unfortunately it makes me look really dorky, but at least it doesn't look too bad. Plus it totally beats being plain looking.

Type /visor to get rid of the glasses.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What's wrong with the armoury? It's the best thing about this game..

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is the ACT window an overlay that injects into the game, or is it just an always on top transparent window?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gearhead posted:

The back end of the Armoury System is, from what we've heard, actually a huge goddamn mess and poorly optimized -- and hasn't been heavily modified in HOW it stores player data from way back in 1.0. It also makes it impossible, in how it is currently set up, to set up all the classic FF Jobs. Yoshida's been eyeing it for a while, but it would take an expansion level patch and focus of attention to do an overhaul to fix it properly.

Well yeah, but that's the backend. Why would armoury system itself prevent you from making a new job, though? They've added 4 since release...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gearhead posted:

Yoshida has used Red Mage as an example of a class that does not work with the current paradigm. They're a class that uses some of their own gimmicks, but also uses abilities from three other classes, including a tank class's main hand weapon.

He's talked about going to a system where you start off from the start with a selection of basic classes which teach you their skill trees, then you add these trees, as a whole, together in valid combinations to add up to other Jobs, instead of having everything tied to the weapon you have in your hand.

But we already have that with cross class skills? Just give the job cross class skills from 5 different classes, and make it so tank weapon + red mage soul = red mage.

Just like book + smn soul = smn and book + sch soul = sch. Hell, SCH even unlocks cleric stance, something arcanist doesn't have access to.

:shrug: It just seems like a silly excuse to me. The thing about the backend being absolute poo poo and them not wanting do to it so it doesn't break and explode in their face in one way or another is a lot more plausible.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Suitaru posted:

I do :smith:

it'd be neat to have off-GCD abilities that place a debuff for a few seconds that explodes if an appropriate off-GCD ability from another class is used before it wears off

of course I played 11 for years and so am qualified to say it was dumb and bad, but adding a cooperative element to a dps rotation could be really neat

Trick attack, heavy thrust, etc exist.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

Oh yeah also the worst part of that IGN review is that he's whining that BBUT NEW PLAYERS WILL HAVE TO QUEUE FOREVER FOR OLD STUFF PROBABLY ACCORDING TO NUMBERS I PULL OUT OF MY rear end and didn't take like 5 goddamned seconds to notice that there's daily roulettes that cover all the 2.0 story stuff and that this game has never really had a major problem with getting people in to help new players through content ever.

The best thing about the dungeon finder changes is, if you need a dungeon/trial for story, queue solo and you will wait less than 2 minutes even as a dps.* And as a healer class, I get a newbie sprout in my lldr more often than not now, doing babby's first tam-tara. They really fixed this poo poo up.

* As long as there's people queuing anyway, I had to wait 30 minutes for the final HW fight, because the last healer took that long to queue up (at 7am on a weekday, less than a week after release :v:).

jim truds posted:

Wait, I somehow missed this. People are using those Fates to level to 60? Do they hate fun?

Welcome to MMO games autism central.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
HW FATES give barely more EXP than the ones in N Than, (remember how exp scaled linearly during 2.0? That's how FATE and still scales up to 60, while http://i.imgur.com/DZvEboX.png). Add the fact that HW FATE mobs have dumb amounts of HP to chew through, exp/hr is possibly worse than N Than even in a FATE group?

Also, I'm guessing not everyone has the expansion yet, which is why there's more playerbase for N Than than any single HW zone? :shrug:

Boten Anna posted:

You're supposed to be able to remove the level sync even with a full party, but it's broken:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/b7cce54cdfb8bc40675523d5998bec264a0116e0

This makes sense to me. I found it odd it'd work for 7 people but not 8.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

Day 13 and still no sign of rmt spam on excalibur. Not sure if I should relax or he scared.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

year199X posted:

What other people said, I basically bought this game just for Monk.

Monk is super enjoyable with the simple creation of two macros, one for all of your rear positionals and one for your flank positionals, then it's just hit the key/button for where you are. It can be annoying if your tank is a jerk and running circles around mobs for no reason but for the most part it's a non issue.

Someone posted this earlier

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/199753-Theres-not-enough-macro-space-to-play-Ninja.

Please don't be this person :dogbutton:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bonewitch posted:

When you hit the a GCD ability before your GCD is up (in the last .5s or so), the client sends the ability to the server preemptively so that the GCD fires off immediately. This is to help compensate for network lag, make the game flow better, etc and is known as ability queuing.

I just want to point out that this is true for all abilities, when cast times are involved, not just GCD ones. I.e., you can queue your cleric stance to turn off as soon as that Ruin finishes casting.

My only wish is that we could set the queue time to be longer. 0.5s isn't too short, but I'd prefer a bit more wiggle room myself. SWTOR had the option of setting it up to 1s, and that had a 1.5s GCD.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vahalla posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the Fray stuff happens in an in-engine Cutscene, where as the Warrior of Darkness is a full blown animated cinematic? Probably :effort: to make a "dark copy" of you in that context.

I'm pretty sure it's just a cutscene because I don't remember it being super pretty, also clicking on speech bubbles.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what happens if you do The Aery as a DRG. Because holy poo poo that kill steal at the end is dumb.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you are seriously mad about what happens in Aery then you are dumb.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Francis posted:

And yet, WoD still has more raid content (30 bosses with four difficulties each) than the entire ARR content cycle (12 turns of coil, 9 extreme primals).

Uh, okay, I thought CT was a raid, but I guess not!

Also, 19 lv50 dungeons to WoD's how many?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Opposing Farce posted:

I was so mad when they played the first part of Shiva's boss music BUT NOT THE SECOND :mad:

Same. I guess it was too long.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't like the Bismarck fight at all. I have no idea why goons keep hyping it. Maybe it just isn't my thing.

Ravana, on the other hand... :kheldragar:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

It's a less fun Leviathan! That's all it is!

That was my first impression too, but I haven't done it on ex yet because I'm doing dumb things like levelling more classes instead. Levi also wasn't too good until I got to do extreme (though doing it hard for the first time kinda blew me away).

KaneTW posted:

SUBETE WO TACHIKIRAN

Yes, blood trickling down to Hydaelyn!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KaneTW posted:

that's not his lines though, that's from the soundtrack

It's his character song. Good enough for me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Leveling in the expansion is mighty slow, but also only 10 levels.

e: Oops, you probably mean pre-50, in which case it's quite a bit faster, because main story quests now give twice the exp.

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Rather, it works by employing middleware developed by TransGaming (presently NVIDIA) to convert Windows’ DirectX drawing method into OpenGL on Mac systems.

:rip:

I thought this might be what's happening when people complained about the performance. :v:

more like dICK posted:

Bismarck is a bad fight because Bismarck is barely involved.

:agreed:

• Locked thread