Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/8fe819184fa9f441fe018c134584e3bd75a7a4d1
Full notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3aq11s/can_all_the_bards_please_chill/csf0xxr

This post summarizes the current bard issues very well.

quote:

I just hit i179. The damage is great. The play style shift is not.

Wanderer's Minuet is currently bugged and randomly will prevent you from attacking from 1-10 seconds. This has happened to me twice so far, very rare bug.

Seeing a Straighter Shot proc and queuing the skill instantly, you will cast a full-channel Straight Shot without using the proc. Forcing you to use it twice in a row, hugely inefficient TP and DPS wise. This perplexes me especially since the game presumably has even more time to apply the buff to your character due to longer casting times.

You miss out on potential Bloodletter procs by not being able to spam it while channeling other skills. I have definitely seen this happen.

Unable to queue Flaming Arrow while channeling. You lose time and DPS by dedicating that second or so to use the skill and place it.

Using Repelling Shot, landing, then queuing your Heavy Shot spam, the Heavy Shot will be interrupted, and you'll have to recast it.

After applying your dots the first time, you have to pause before using Sidewinder, or else it won't proc as having both DoTs. Slightly inefficient, we'd like to spam it immediately.

AoE vs DoTs: The Clunkening. Rain of Death now shares a timer with Bloodletter, so we have to unlearn spamming Bloodletter during AoE rotation. Also what do you do when you're fighting, let's say a 4-pack of equal sized mobs?

Do you DoT one or more of them for increased chance for Rain of Death? There are no more free AoE procs otherwise, and BRD took a big hit in the AoE department.

Buffs mean nothing anymore. You spam them at the beginning, then there is no reason to not turn them on as they become available. Seems lazy.

If I wanted to play a class that was forced to stand still and cancel casts, I'd play a loving BLM.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Hivac posted:

Ah, yes, the class that is now exactly identical to BLM in every single way. It is now literally BLM, in every single function and skill that it uses.

I sure wish I could turn off Minuet but oh well!

You would have a point if they actually added skills that worked outside of Minuet. Or if Minuet didn't have a 3 second cast time, making swapping stances in combat a dps loss. Or if Minuet was a flat DPS upgrade, instead of tradeoff by losing autos and adding cast times.

But regardless of all that, you can't deny that the Bard playstyle has basically taken a 180 from what it was in ARR. You surely realize that saying ' but just dont use the 50+ skills!!!' is a dumb argument.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Adept Nightingale posted:

I dunno. I don't use parsers or anything like that, but I do main bard. I hated Minuet pretty much the moment I got it, and continued to hate it until I hit 54 and got Empyrean, and now 56 has given me Iron Jaws (which refreshes both your dots simultaneously). Empyrean is... really, really satisfying, actually-- if you plan to use barrage along with it, a crit gives me about 3600 damage in one button press. I can only imagine how fun that's going to be at 60 in real gear.

I'm still getting used to the loss of mobility, but on the whole the trade-off's so far seemed worth it. I definitely feel like I'm contributing more DPS.

It only feels like you're doing more damage because you see big numbers. Losing autoattacks, delaying oGCDs, and any movement/los at all fucks over WM. Its only worth being in for aoe packs and for an opening salvo of barrage emp arrow, dots, and sidewinder. I've tested on a dummy and WM is only like a 20-30 dps increase when completely stationary.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

cadenza posted:

Cool, it looks like I can still log into ffgoons so I guess I'll see what situation there is. I assume I got kicked from DGKK for inactivity and will have to apply again. Here's hoping warriors are good now.

not even level 60
also you can do it twice in a row

:getin:

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Rei_ posted:

So I've been playing with MCH and can we talk about this rotation a bit? It's bonkers. Since none of your 1 2 3 needs to be done in order, you actually want to set it up in a way where you can get loops of procs going without ever terminating the loop or backpedalling so you're firing a shot that procs the next shot while the next shot is already proc'd... So am I insane or is the optimal Ammo Rotation 2 1 3 2 3 2 1 3? I imagine you'd attempt something like this even with reload on cooldown but man, that's a weird thing to keep track of while also worrying about Hot Shot, Lead Shot, Off GCDs and Autoturrets

you have 5+1 ammo, and you want to spend them on 1 or 2 whenever possible There's several combinations that leave you only wasting 1 ammo on clean shot.

reload 12312 quick 1
quick 2 3 reload 12132

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

There's always blue mage. I think yoshida even mentioned it at one point.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

The problem is that if he's right, which he presumably is, then their parses should be considered the best possible ones and only compared to ones of roughly equal level. Obviously if you compare the parses made my someone that has basically "mastered" a class with the average idiot, then obviously their numbers will seem lower than I expected.

The question is whether or not they make "good dps" more accessible to average players, and if they can do it without making it less enjoyable.

I'd like to see the actual numbers, although I'm sure they won't release those.

Its possible that they aren't using optimized rotations for the other dps they are comparing them to. The cited reason for ninja being OP at release was that their inhouse rotations weren't as good as the ones the players came up with.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

bonewitch posted:

MCH has:
-Virus/Supervirus (though not at the same time)
-MP/TP regen
-Physical/Magical Damage Up (Bard can only do magical damage up, and with WAR buffs physical damage is going to outshadow magic in most raid groups)
-Stun/Bind/Heavy (Situationally Useful)

I'd say MCH > Bard both in utility and damage right now.

the mch foe's is much much worse than bards

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

It's going to have turns.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

lmao sidewinder got loving gutted
I guess the dont want you playing outside of WM at all

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

https://soundcloud.com/arkenaw-eldrian/ffxiv-alexander-theme
datamined full alexander theme

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Cleared Alexander this morning. Its a really fun dungeon. I'd say the difficulty is a bit higher than WoD level, but its 8-man so slacking is more obvious,.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I will commend any healer that is actually using cleric stance.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

G-Whizard posted:

Navigating the map if the quest is in your area is easy. What isn't easy is finding out how to get to other cities.

at level 15 you will get a quest that takes you to the other cities. Then you can just teleport there.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Sentient Data posted:

gently caress you, my buttons are sacred and EVERYONE will have to know when I actually play the game.

Battle Voice has a 300s cooldown and that needs to be on a macro letting everyone know how stupid they are at spending their mp/tp that I had to use it
Sidewinder has a 60s cooldown and I need to make sure everyone praises me for the DPS that I bring
Heavy Shot and its 2.5s cooldown? That spells macro to me, everyone needs to know I'm doing my job

{Blunt Arrow}{Just Used It} <se.3>

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

sword_man.gif posted:

i'll quit bitching about people doing lovely dps and wanting to be carried so they can just mash buttons as soon as square stops putting in dps checks

Yeah, whats really shocking is the massive gulf between bad and competent dps. I'm not sure if this is the game's fault or just a consequence of how easy the story and leveling is. I feel like its even worse in HW because it seems like pugs aren't adapting to the new skills at all, and just regressing to 2.x rotations. I swear that half the BLMs I see in DF don't use enochian at all.

FWIW I'm not arguing that the story content should be harder, its just that it doesn't challenge you enough. People who have been skating along doing minimum passable dps hit brick walls on bis ex, or even hit enrage on A1 which is almost inconceivable to me.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

bonewitch posted:

There's a ton of people out there who have no idea that they're not very good at the game and have no idea how to improve because the game makes no attempt to teach beyond the absolute basics.

This. I'm not asking for anyone to spreadsheet out rotations and search the internet for the optimal cooldown usage. Black mage is a shining example of this. You've all met the DF only-blizzard blms or the rotate fire3-ice3-fire3 ones. Theres no real feedback in the game to tell them that this is 'wrong'. The skills are clearly intended to be used, at the very least, in a fire phase then an ice phase when you're out of mp, but the game doesn't really teach you that.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So what are my options for burst damage as a SMN? Like on adds that need to die, because I feel like ruin spam isn't cutting it.

On single adds you can bane or tri-d + fester/pain/etc. But summoner lacks good ways to deal with multiple waves of low hp adds like on ravana ex spirit ganas or A3 slimes. I'm not sure what the optimal way to deal with those is.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

Speaking of glamour, I wish there was a website like MogIt for WoW that let me see what all the different outfits are.

EDIT: what the hell does "Unaspected Damage" mean?

Non-elemental. I don't think this has any actual gameplay applications, however.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Chyea posted:

goblins are literally hitler satan

how crazy is savage a2

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Chyea posted:

let me tell you about living liquid

let me tell you a story

Is the difficulty living up to your expectations?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

the DOT does an attack of X potency for each tic

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Lumis posted:

Except they do. Quite often. There's a VERY clear line regarding what the votekick system can and cannot be used for. If you get kicked or kick someone and the reasoning doesn't fall into harassment, being AFK or offline, or cheating and someone decides to report it, you can very well expect GM intervention, as the GMs in this game take player abuse quite a bit more seriously than other MMOs. I mean, they're not gonna throw you back into the party and shout "get along", but you can be pretty sure the abuser will be getting talked to.

Basically, this. Stop telling people not to bother reporting poo poo.

This isn't entirely accurate. See http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/186569-So-votekick-abuse-is-practically-allowed

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Raid Finder has been my jam the last couple days. All my sophia's have been one shots with the occasional two shot. People seem to know their poo poo and I haven't had a single disruptive person in party. I don't know how this ended up being so much better than the shitshow that is party finder, but here we are.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Eos is the real MVP.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Direct Hits are like medium crits but more frequent so you can try have more common Direct Hits as opposed to rarer but bigger crits.

Direct and Crits can happen on the same attack

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what is shirk because it sounds like it's a way for tanks to drop aggro, which would be hilarious
It has a similar icon to shade walker, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7R7QM5X18
All skills for all jobs.

Stormgale posted:

Remember sam has no self buffs like greased lightning so their numbers are big to compensate (1.5k potency on draw with the buff though)

It has 10% haste 15% damage perma self buffs.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

FaintlyQuaint posted:

This post is really amazingly funny in light of PLD being extremely better than both WAR and DRK as of NA/JP info release.

I mean hopefully there was a massive rebalancing in the week or so that we've had since then (or between now and SB launch), but, uh, if nothing changes PLD/whatever is not a PLD will be the new comp for everything.

Yep. WAR and DRK theoretical rotations have them pretty close on potency. If the DRK trick attack thing is real, DRK/PAL will be meta as long as you have a dps that applies slashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So Selene looks nice.

Fey Glow: Increases spell speed of self and nearby party members by 30% for 30s, 60s cooldown.
Fey Light: Increases skill speed of self and nearby party members by 30% for 30s, 60s cooldown.

They can't be used at the same time, but they don't share a cooldown on the tooltip.

Fey Caress and Wind are there too, and they look unchanged.

Didn't see those pets skills pop up anywhere.

Uhhhh... that's 2.0 seleene. Pretty sure it's just an old tooltip.

• Locked thread