Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For anyone who hasn't gotten it yet, you can still get Heavensward from GreenManGaming for 25% off ($30).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kenlon posted:

Anyone have experience using a Logitech g13 or other gaming keypad with FFXIV? It looks like a decent way to get more buttons to work with that I can hit without loving up my hand/wrist.

I use a G602: between the 6 hard side thumb buttons and the fact that they can be combined with Shift/Ctrl/Alt for up to 24, I can map pretty much whatever I want to them. It's much easier than using keyboard number keys.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
At least you can click through or skip most conversations/cut scenes, and can teleport hither and yon. I can't imagine how painful bouncing all over the damned world would be if AAR utilized a WoW-style "flight" transport mechanic.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kuvo posted:

im fine with jump potions on the condition that you have to pass a 50 question written test with questions like "when should a AST hold onto The Ewer?", "what substat should BRD prioritize, and why?" and "what is the proper single target opener for 60 BLM?"

Half the people who have leveled up via traditional methods would fail that test, though...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mymla posted:

Tbh I don't think anyone would give the gently caress about the HW story if they hadn't seen it in the context of the rest of the story.

Like, I think the first seasons of stargate SG-1 and buffy the vampire slayer are hot loving garbage. But I still don't regret watching them, because I would've been hella confused going into the latter, good, seasons if I skipped the first ones.

I don't understand why people seem so concerned about whether other people are going to properly appreciate the story. If they want to skip the story and then not understand story bits later....who loving cares? They "ruined" their own experience; whatever. Hell, some people do the MSQ by clicking through/escaping out of every single bit of dialogue or cut-scene they can anyhow.

Really, what a jump potion should drop you into is a short job-specific tutorial. Like an amalgamation of the current job guildhests, but scaling up through 50 so that at least there's some effort put forth to teaching you wtf your job is supposed to do in combat. Pass that so you won't be a complete and total useless drain on a party and I frankly don't care if you know the story behind why we're traipsing around in Amdapor Keep.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I want to know who the story-skip potions are actually for. I mean, ok, you pop one. Now you're quest complete up through HW. Great. You're still loving level 1. Now go grind dungeons and sidequests for all your XP.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Velthice posted:

new relic steps
3.5 - 270 "will be kinda hell"
3.55 - 275 "easy and casual"
aether oil and umbrite steps will be nerfed

As someone who is still sitting on two aether oils because he just can't be bothered, I'm looking forward to a new form of hell-grind for a weapon I should probably just ignore in favor of the glowy PotD one.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
PLDs are just fine for pretty much whatever. They just aren't as flashy or fun to play (for most people) as WAR/DRK are, so you don't see as many of them. Combine that with a bunch of PLDs who don't bother to use any of their ogcd stuff properly and you often end up with parties that--if they had a competent PLD--could go balls out with DPS in ways that would be challenging to manage with other tanks, but they don't because if you're rolling with pugs who the gently caress knows how competent that PLD actually is.

That said, as someone who plays a lot of PLD, the job could absolutely be given a pretty hefty DPS boost without risking becoming OP. "I can sit here and turtle for a half hour until you eventually die of boredom" is not a huge selling point.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Jinh posted:

Agreed although I hate to say it. The picture guide is nice but the enmity bar is really bad. Idk how other games show the same info, maybe you could give the mobs an aura that goes from red to yellow showing how much they hate you and flashing yellow if a mob is focused on a non-tank? That would be ugly though.

As a tank I'm mostly ok with the enmity bar. What I would like, however, is an audible queue for when I lose aggro. There's already one for when you get aggro, but I wanna know when that rear end in a top hat NIN who insists on never loving attacking anything I'm hitting starts getting punches without having to watch the bars all the damned time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You can get a full base copy of the game for like $20, though, so it's not like it's a big investment to try it out. Or let her play on your account for a bit?

• Locked thread