Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Jeez is 4 am PDT really the best time to get on Excalibur?

It's always been this way right after content patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i used to think i would have to choose between tanking and dragoon but as it turns out you just end up tanking a lot anyway.

DRGTNK is a pretty good tank. Bloodbath & second wind are pretty handy for staying alive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah but she was actually useful in saving the realm from Bahamut. Alphinaud hasn't done much more than tag along and gently caress things up with hubris.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Meowbot posted:

Just hit 60 on my white mage ... noww what? Where should I be grinding tomes at?

Do your daily roulettes, unlock the two expert dungeons and do that roulette, too. You'll often times get newbie bonuses in your roulettes, and the law gear is very cheap. You'll be awash in tome gear in no time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Can you transfer from any Data Center into Excalibur? Might as well just gently caress around and see if I like the game and then pay a transfer in order to play with goons, unless I find a decent EU guild, because goons are hardly worth 18$.

I transferred to excal to play with goons and it has been more than worth the $18. I had a decent FC on gilgamesh but it was rife with drama. I couldn't get into a solid static because my FC didn't have a spot for me or time didn't work out and different pub statics were either full of lovely people or had demands I couldn't meet.

I moved servers and was almost instantly able to jump into a static that matched my availability, sense of humor, etc and we've been clearing everything pretty well mostly just dicking around.

There are three goon FCs that are all some of the most active in the world let alone on the server. There are dozens to hundreds of goons online at any time. With a few notable exceptions, almost everyone is chill and helpful. I can't really recount a bad goon experience other than people just needing to :gitgud:

It is absolutely worth the pain to get on this server. I convinced personal friends to come over from other servers and their reaction has all been positive as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nuru posted:

When you transfer does your friends list turn into a large pile of <deleted>? If you transfer back are those replaced with the original people?

I'm pretty sure it was just blank when I moved over but it has been a while.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The expert dungeons also drop 160 gear and accessories, so you should get a few pieces just from that as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Meowbot posted:

Expert dungeons? Jeez I only have low level duty roulette :ohdear:

There are only 2 expert dungeons. Once you finish the 3.0 story, one unlocks outside Fortemp's manor and the other from the bird villiage chief in the sea of clouds. Once you run both of those you'll have expert roulette that you can run daily. It will give 80 law tomes on top of the dungeon rewards.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fracture is good on Paladins, monks, and warriors.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Or at least used to be. I dunno about monks at 60.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

With royal authority now it seems you're right. That combo averages out 230 potency per GCD. Prior to 60, though, it's still a DPS boost.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They are for trials roulette iirc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nipponophile posted:

Nah, trials roulette got changed with 3.0 so that it works like LLDR. It unlocks once you've completed any two of the trials on the list and will only put you in ones you've completed.

Sweet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The tokens aren't hard to get with a static. We ran it for the first time last night and by the end most of us ended up with all that we needed because each one drops two chests. I only need one item from the third fight now, myself.

I welcome the change. I didn't get my dreadwyrm dragoon chest until well after FCOB was taken off of the weekly lockout simply because it just never dropped. We started clearing T11 in December.

I think I do like the hybrid token and drops from the ex primals a bit better than the alex drops, but either way there are two chests for three items in each fight. It doesn't take much time at all to get everything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Warriors are very involved tanks that play very similar to a DPS in the tanking role.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Furnaceface posted:

Well boo, I liked the idea of swinging a big fuckoff axe around without any care or responsibility. :(

You misunderstand my issue with casters in this game, its that Im very against the idea of having to macro macros and set up anything more than a single hotbar to play. Really its just :effort: on my behalf but whatever.

You're going to have to set up more than one bar for every class in the game because you get a bunch of skills with all of them.

Macros for combat are almost always dumb and aren't really needed. You don't have to set up any for any class.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

And dragoon, to maximize DPS, does actually take a good amount of work. Blood of the dragon is vital to keep up almost all of the times because of the boosts to jump and spineshatter dive, but also because hitting your random positional is a DPS boost. Geirskogul is an amazing off-GCD skill to use especially if there are any adds or multiple mobs but must be timed well otherwise you lose your BotD.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ouhei posted:

Finally unlocked EXDR last night, the 2 dungeons are fun, I've got my first 2 law pieces (sword and shield) too, now to actually go unlock hunts so I can upgrade I guess.

For anyone out there still leveling between 50-60, go to the forgotten knight and start unlocking hunts. One star ranks start at 53 iirc and are worth around 150k experience and 15 seals a day right off the bat. You can unlock 2 and 3 star along the way and your weekly elite at 60. The experience from hunts is helpful in leveling.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blockhouse posted:

FFIV raid set incoming

Nah it's gotta be kefka. They already have shown an emperor gesthal minion and we have the warring triad bottled up by the allagans.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blockhouse posted:

yeah but he said the hint is in something he said earlier, which means that mystery airship, which looks a lot like the FFIV remake version of the Lunar Whale

That's main story stuff, though. They already showed the warrior of darkness on the moon in game with ascians.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anniversary posted:

Can anyone recommend what to do while leveling in the late 30s? I've hit something of a wall. Most guides I can find seem to suggest fates but I'm not always on when that is practical.

Depends on your job, but the best spot for fates in that range is Coerthas Central Highlands. After you hit 40 join one of the PF groups in N Than.

If you're a tank or healer, just queue for the highest dungeon you have available.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, I really should have unlocked them sooner, oh well.

It'll really help your other jobs when you get into that level range. The best is when you have the same mob in all three of your hunt levels and get 3x experience for killing the same monsters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a way to change linkshell channels using type-commands? I'm used to the WoW way of typing "/g [message]" or "/r [message]" but I don't know the equivalent command here.

/l1 - /l8

note that's a lowercase L not a capital I. Capital letters won't work.

Similarly shout is /sh, yell is /y, Free company is /fc, /p is party, /a is alliance etc.

With the exception of shout (and maybe yell never tested) you can switch to any of those chats as your primary (including /t /tell with a target name) but just typing that in with nothing after. For example if I'm going to be sending you a lot of tells, I'll just type in /t Sir Phoebos (or if you're in target range I'll select you and type in /t <t>) and hit enter so I can just chat with you without having to type in the /t name bullshit over and over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SirPhoebos posted:

I forget what the benefit of getting something to 100% spiritbound aside from being able to convert it into material.

That's it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So far I've been DFing A3 and people are pretty competent. The queues for DPS have all been sub 10 minute with one instant in progress. I've cleared all attempts with only 3 wipes in total. It's not bad at all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I haven't tried to DF 1, 2, or 4, but 3 was super easy today and I got my lens after 5 runs.

I think they got the difficulty pretty right for story alex.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can someone recommend a place for me to read up on boss gimmicks for the 2.x hard mode dungeons? I'm meandering my way through them to unlock the roulette and I don't want to make an rear end out of myself in front of the good players :ohdear:

Just tell them in the dungeon when you're new and anyone should explain. Also just send me a /tell when I'm on and I'll run you through whatever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you have similar item levels and weapon you are just shameful to lose hate to a tank in an offensive stance.

If you're in content that you outgear a tank to the level where you can't help but pull hate in an offensive stance you're probably in content that you should be main tanking in an offensive stance in the first place.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 11, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Path? That's only needed on one or two fights. Eye->BB all day long.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It doesn't use TP but a skill like geirskogul is still draining a resource, that is your 30% buff to two other off GCD skills.
There seems to be something similar with a lot of the new skills for people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Verranicus posted:

Just unlocked Alex, can someone explain the loot system for me?

Each item that drops corresponds to a piece of gear. Lens = helm, spring = legs, shaft = body and so on. Accessories and belt take 1 token. Gloves, head, and feet take two. Chest/legs take 4.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Peakay posted:

Is there a dragoon rotation for level 50? I'm using Heavy thrust->chaos thrust combo->Phlebotomize-> Full Thrust combo with jumps and other buffs where I can fit them but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do.

Your rotation is basically the same except you now have your combo finishers, blood of the dragon, and geirskogul to worry about. You'll basically get in at least two geirskogul while waiting on the BoD cooldown if you do it right.

There's a lot of judgement calls and balancing. I usually pop BoD right before my opening chaos thrust, then after that you'll either switch to flank or stay at the rear depending on what the RNG tells you to do. After that throw out a geirskogul, phlebotomize, full thrust, then combo finisher, HT, repeat.

There isn't exactly a set time to reapply your dots now either. You just have to kindof watch for when they're going to drop. If you're at the start of a combo and you have 9 or less seconds left on chaos thrust, do a CT combo. If you have more, do a full thrust combo. Only re-up phlebotomize when it's dropped off. Use geirskogul whenever you can if you have enough time to do your combo finisher or BoD is off of cooldown so you can use it.

Combo finishers are a big boost to your DPS along with geirskogul. Otherwise it's basically the same.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The new Dragoon rotation is really time-intensive now. I'm always just a second too slow in completing my Blood for Blood combos.

I guess I need to start min/maxing a bit to improve my skill speed, but the Blood for Blood mechanics make every fight a lot more complicated than previously. The rotations were pretty manageable before, certainly--really just two three-button combos, an extra DoT, a damaging buff and some damaging debuffs and stuns. Pretty simple overall, but there was plenty for a Dragoon to do--and gently caress, positionals used to be required for them, which made the class even more challenging to master. Now there's an extra round of combos and skills to keep track of, and the addition of Blood for Blood is now making me use my stunning jump attack a lot more, so I feel like I've got even more stuff to keep track of, and my damage may be lagging as a result.

Anyone else had some trouble getting a grip on the new skills?

I'm still far from perfect with it, but it just takes time. You just have to keep an eye on your BoD timer and adjust accordingly. Also standing right on the edge of rear/flank on the target circle is pretty much a must when finishing a combo to save your from moving too much to hit the finisher.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Farking Bastage posted:

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the OSX version is not only just a wine-wrapped version of the regular client, but a very poorly wine-wrapped version. It's beyond garbage.

I figured it was something like that when the system specs require far more than the windows version. I cant even run the client in OSX on my imac but have been playing on win7 for years.

:lol: so bad they're offering everyone full refunds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

This isn't quite right for 50. You want to do two full thrusts for every chaos thrust, so it's something like:

heavy->chaos->phleb->full->heavy->full->phleb->chaos->etc

At level 56, when you get your first combo extender, you'll go to alternating chaos thrust and full thrust.

Even with the combo finisher you don't want to just alternate full thrust and chaos thrust combos. You'll be clipping a good 2-3 ticks off your dot that way. If chaos thrust has 10 or more seconds on it when you're starting a combo, you're better off going full thrust and then CT your next combo. I still typically get two full thrusts per chaos thrust because phlebotomize and heavy thrust don't just sit in between each combo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

You're the only source I've seen claiming that clipping chaos thrust is worse than letting it fall off. Do you have a source showing your math?

I haven't sat down and done any math just talking about what I do while playing. I'm able to keep my buffs up without clipping my dots which just seems like the best thing to do.

Edit: during 2.x it was common depending on your skill speed to clip both chaos thrust and phlebotomize before their last tick. Straight up alternating seems like you'd be losing 2-3 or more ticks which seems to be a significant loss.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 13, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

What's your skill speed? At my skill speed I have the option of letting chaos thrust fall off for ~3-5 seconds, or clipping it by 3-5 seconds.

I'm not at home but I'll take a look next time I get online and compare. I do have CT fall off usually before I get it back on, but not usually more than one GCD.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

After the dragoon discussion last night I sat down when I got home so I could parse out some numbers. I currently 549 SS with a 2.42 second GCD.

I tried a number of runs where I alternate CT and FT combos and ones where I still typically would go CT FT FT CT. I had BoD up all of the time and did not use any other cooldowns or abilities. I made sure to hit my combo finishers in the right spot.

The ultimate conclusion I came to is it's a slight dps loss to step on CT and disembowel. The difference is pretty much negligible, though. When they had the exact same crit rate I saw about a 10 DPS drop by simply alternating my combos.

BoD and the combo finishers add about 50 DPS. Without BoD up, alternating cost me another 20 dps vs the 2.x rotation.

So really, it's situational. Do you have another dragoon in the party? Don't alternate as you will lose more because their disembowel helps you. If you have a machinist or bard in the party and no other dragoon, alternate because you'll be hurting their DPS with disembowel off for 2-3 GCDs. If you're the only piercing damage type, it's slightly better to not alternate combos.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

seiferguy posted:

I know what RP is, but what is ERP? Do I want to know? :ohdear:

erotic role play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Good to know, I'm not really feeling NIN and wanted to do something ranged and MCH wasn't doing it for me and my SMN is mid-40's.

Summoner is loving baller. My fastest runs in any HW content have summoners. They got a ton of love.

• Locked thread