Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

Also I am sleeping in or working in the morning because lol if you think things are going to be running on schedule~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Close the thread until 4.0 qtiyd.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I hate people who play video games.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, what's a brother gotta do to get into a/the hunt LS/TS? I'm going to go mad if I have to keep doing daily hunts to get my law crap upgraded.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

As someone who poopsocked way ahead of the FC and ran all the story stuff alongside really crap pubbies I'm somewhat inclined to discount their contribution anyway. I'm the canon Warrior of Light, sorry guys.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Because of it I've had to choose between manually controlling embrace spam and dropping cleric stance occasionally. That's a choice no scholar should ever have to make.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I was just sitting here at work thinking about video games and realized that early access started 17 days ago and since then I've already clocked ten days of /ptime.

What the hell is wrong with me? :negative:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I tried SMN for the first time tonight (aside from a carbuncle CT run back before I finished my SMN quests) and.. I don't think I know what I'm doing with it. How do I play it effectively? I vaguely see what my poo poo would've been in 2.x, but how do I play it effectively at 60?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

So how do Alex drops work in practice? I get the bit about the tokens, but how many and how consistently do they drop? I'm trying to figure out what a pain it would be to pug this thing since I don't have a static and every other Goon is already playing a tank.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

At least it's easy, right? :v:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

:stare:

We almost beat it after only a single cycle last night, how do you even go to four?

I did DF with a partial Goon party last night and had enrage twice (the two times we even got that far). When I had to start tanking the second one suddenly nothing got done. We had a SMN who kept dying and having keyboard problems (if you're reading this I love you anyway and don't blame you for any of it) and a couple of our pubbie DPS were STILL lower on the meter.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

Self-destruct is a mechanic that begins once one of the two things are dead, you've gotta bring them down almost at the same time like in Coil turn 1. You sure this isn't what you were seeing?

Positive. We got hit by self destruct and the lowest we ever got them was about 12%. :v:

We actually had pretty even DPS between them, we just had painfully little of it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Since someone just mentioned going blind, here's a thought I've been chewing over. I've been toying with the idea of starting a new static, probably something a bit easygoing and flexible, but focused on doing blind runs since it's usually more fun than just trying to use someone else's strategy. Would anyone be interested in that?

I don't mean in a "be there when the servers first come up" way so much as a "try not to know the strats and if you do keep them to yourself" way.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Doublestep posted:

i like thing

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I like FFXI. FFXI was neat, and had some good parts and some bad parts.

I like this game too. This game is great, and also has some good parts and some bad parts.

:)

Fighting words if ever I heard them.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I'm so happy crafting is extra bullshit now so I can just wait for catchup mechanics and quests and only do those so I can repair my own equipment. The kindest thing Yoshi-P will ever do for me is cure me of the compulsion to level everything to cap.

Combat classes are still go, though. How did the FATE change affect the grind mob? Is N Than still packed or have folks moved on to the new zones? It's time to pick a 50, unequip my job crystal, cross Flash, and put in that sweet mindless minimal effort.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Some people don't like taking breaks since they prepaid for a bunch of game time and there's no way to pause the subscription (because if there were it'd probably be abused like hell)

I can confirm this. When I play MMOs I normally spend a couple weeks playing a new content patch before I lose interest until the next patch, and I would definitely try to get everything done that I could within the first week and pause it if it were an option. The expansion being released was sort of an anomaly in that I played it nonstop for a month, but I'm pretty sure I unsubbed halfway through the second month.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I'm starting to feel the itch to resub, or at the very least make use of the four free days to knock out any events that're active once Starlight Festival starts, presumably in a week.

In the meantime, I was curious about what I've been missing. I heard the new dungeons and Vanu quests are good, but I haven't heard a lot of anything about Void Ark and Diadem. What gives? Are they crap? Or better yet, are they fun and good in a way that makes the peanut gallery mad?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

What DPS classes are the most fun these days, if I'm defining a "fun" class as having a cool style and the fewest bullshit mechanics? For example, I used to love MNK for its style, but I loathed everything conspiring to make me lose my stacks constantly.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Well sure, WAR's the best class hands down. Obviously I just need to read a refresher on how to maximize my damage output and just run with Goons so I can WAR DPS as God intended.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Shame on all y'all nerds. It sounds like everyone is forgetting what this game is all about. That paladin's outfit is pretty good, so she's doing it right.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Thank Christ when I was first playing and leveling as MRD I didn't wind up with a bunch of douchebags. Maybe it's because I 'fessed up to being new at the beginning and set proper expectations, but everyone always seemed nice and chill.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Reading that post was too much of a time commitment for me. Should I give up on the relic?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I would also be happy to see an additional middle difficulty in Alex, and more loving around potential in Vark. I'm heartbroken that the latter isn't as entertaining as CT, and I want a more challenging time than normal Alex but haven't the time or inclination to be dedicated to Savage.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Kagon posted:

Not having to deal with reclearing trash every time we reset a raid more than makes up for boring circular arenas to me.

Plus having the one pull of trash serves as a nice reminder of the pointless bullshit you're missing.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I am so god drat excited to revisit Amdapor. I want a jukebox for my room with Lost City's song.

Also I love that your actions there actually had consequences. Sorry for all the trouble, Cat poo poo. Thankfully saving the world is my gig anyway.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

LordNat posted:

Anyways all that said I have been sucked back into EVE again so I am a crazy person and these are the rantings of a mad man.

Well, you certainly know a poo poo game when you see it.

I don't know, I'm at least somewhat hopeful. I don't think they're terribly responsive, but I'm hoping they're willing to learn well enough that they can keep it interesting and alive. It's a pretty good time generally, and if they learn their lesson they might have 4.0 content that holds up to 2.x. I can't think of a single MMO that didn't go to poo poo after its second expansion at latest, granted.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Make Diadem as easy as CT1 to gently caress with pubbies and I will run it all day every day.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Reminds me what shade of pink is best for dying the free gear crafted for lowbies?

It doesn't matter. Just make sure they don't match. I usually do a pink, a light blue, honey yellow, and an orange or green.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

If anyone's mentioned this, I failed to notice (it's late, it happens), but even if they incentivize all this great old content, is there enough of a player base to keep spreading things thinner and still have reasonable queues?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

dromal phrenia posted:

Sheesh, the answer is obvious. New raid with the very logical storyline that all the old bosses are sick of your poo poo and have teamed up to stop you once and for all. Three randomly chosen bosses one after the other, also it can be the same boss three times (he is REALLY sick of your poo poo).

Sounds plausible to me. Just title the breadcrumb quest The Minstrel's Fanfic.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Gearhead posted:

Fanfic is the basic justification for Bullshit Mode Ultima and Thordin now... as to where the EQUIPMENT comes from? uh... BELLISARIO!

I was featured in a piece of poo poo minstrel fanfic and all I got was this lousy sword that somehow beats what the Allagans stored in the Coil.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

make an elezen, there is not enough giraffe necks

im so lonely

Sorry to hear you're alone in your choice of garbo races, buddy.

Obviously the only appropriate choice for a Japanese fantasy game is catgirl. And if you're playing with Goons, you need to go catgirl with a food name.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

if the dudeazen could wear the pretty dresses i'd be a male instead, for maximum lonely

The only good dudeazen is a dead dudeazen.

And he will be forever missed.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I know I got beaten to this while typing this post, but the correct solution is to tune it so there's a normal for the rabble who can't or don't raid for whatever reason, a somewhat more difficult hard mode for the organized casual who wants challenge but doesn't care about bragging rights, and a savage mode that's tuned so people who enjoy banging their heads against the wall week after week get their sense of fulfillment.

If three levels of difficulty isn't an option though, yeah, gently caress every last person who'd unironically gripe about casuals. Hardcore raid dorks alienating casuals is like meatheads alienating resolutioners at the gym. If they aren't as invested in it as you, let them have their fun and be nice to them so their subscriptions can subsidize your hobby. When games cater only to you they crash and burn because you aren't a valuable enough market demographic to sustain them.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Niton posted:

This game is more fun the less time you put into it, with fun peaking somewhere below 10 hours a week.

Unless you're working on the story, in which case the sky's the limit.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Is that reasonable/affordable? I know people were freaking out about how expensive and potentially unrewarding it was to work it up back when the expansion first hit, but that sure sounds better than grinding things out with pricey mats at any rate.

Maybe I should just wait for another Ixal-style catchup mechanic. I'd prefer to have the full sheet of 60s, but most of what I use DoH classes for is repairing.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

MLG pro guide to DRG, Vark edition:

Pop Blood of the Dagrong.
Say, "Whoa poo poo this is too much responsibility."
Geirskogul.
Elusive Jump into an instant kill mechanic.
If anyone else is dead, " /a lol you guys are bad"
Sit back and vote abandon after the fight, win or lose.

Nice. :cool:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hyperactive posted:

So, I picked up this game a couple weeks ago. Got a Dragoon up to 34 and having fun with it. Thought I might swap over to Archer/Bard for a little diversion since I always enjoy ranged action and support stuff in MMOs. Is this a terrible idea? All my bonus stats went to strength.

Bonus stats are set on a per class basis. Go hog wild. The game wants you to play and enjoy everything.

Except paladin, which is apparently meant to be a miserable poo poo show.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Unironically yes, and you can ask blizzard about how doing the opposite may have killed their juggernaut money maker.

Agreed.

As for Blizzard, are we talking about them making things more difficult with Cataclysm and starting their subscriber hemorrhage, or is there something more recent? I haven't really followed WoW news in years, but I'm certainly curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

The new dungeons look swell, I love that the new Amdapor gets a neat new arrangement of the best dungeon music in the game, and I couldn't be happier that they use Papaya for the jukebox. The new clothing looks rad too.

I sure hope actually playing the content isn't tedious after a week this time.

• Locked thread