Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I really need to get back into updating on a regular basis and it is a Tuesday so lets pretend I'm doing this on time and not two weeks after the last update! Oops!

Episode 19 - Snack Break

also did you know that my co-commentator and very good friend gnome writes RPGs? Because he just released his most recent one and if you're even a little bit of a tabletop nerd I'd encourage you to check it out! It has a lot of love and care in it and it really shows and aaaaa Fellowship is so good you guys :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Twitter is indeed important. How else could I have all these Miitomo friends? :v:

I think the idea behind the Exhausted Superstick is it's a used roll of tape, and superstick is supposed to be like the ship's guess at the name of the product.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

*throws pikmin into a cloud of poison leading to it's death*

You only have yourself to blame for that friend.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 20 - Happy Birthday Bugs

Thinking about it, this video would've been more appropriate on my birthday but oh well!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wow, they do a good job of hiding the procedural generation of the levels, I had no idea. Maybe it's just because you don't get a good enough look to discern set pieces.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I'm actually pretty certain only the location of all enemies, treasure, entrance, and exits are randomized. Each floor has the same geography every time.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The Network Mainbrain looks like a computer valve.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Skyridge posted:

I'm actually pretty certain only the location of all enemies, treasure, entrance, and exits are randomized. Each floor has the same geography every time.

This is partially true. Certain floors are always the same layout on every visit, while the rest always use the same pieces but the pieces might be attached differently. So the generated floors will have all of the same elements - the same rooms and the same set pieces - but they'll be attached together in different ways, with different kinds of connecting hallways to make them fit together properly. It's a partial procedural generation.

It gives you the illusion that you're always going to the same places, but nothing is quite how you remember it.

The illusion is further increased because the floors that are always the same on every visit are usually the most memorable ones. The final floor of every dungeon is always exactly the same in every way, and the rest floors always have the same layout too (although your entry and exit points may change). Most dungeons also have one or two unique floors that are like nothing else in the game, which have locked layouts like the Final Floor does. We don't reach it in this video, but this cave has a windy maze area with lots of slopes and right angles and zero open spaces that really stands out, and that floor is always exactly the same, down to the treasure locations, entrance, exits, and enemy placements. Hitting a floor like that every so often helps hide how the less memorable floors keep changing up on you.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I really dig the music in that last level.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh wow that was harsh. Definitely worth a soft restart.

Glad it doesn't kick you back to the beginning of the day! Man, that would be rude.

Also, those birthday bugs are assholes. We don't want your bombs! :argh: Stop being so clingy! The relationship is over!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Those bugs teach us the same lessons that a childhood filled with Saturn Bomberman has taught me.
Friends are just assholes who want to see you explode.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 21 - Many Impossible

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So the rest of the game is caves, huh? Yeah, that would help with the time limit just a little.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

So the rest of the game is caves, huh? Yeah, that would help with the time limit just a little.

I didn't think Pikmin 2 had a time limit. I remember them just letting you go at your own pace regardless of the threatening letters.
Unless you mean the end of day timers.

yomidian
Sep 2, 2011

for every bat, there is at least one more bat
the dolphin just runs off an advanced hocotatian understanding of microphysics. those who study it are known as spring theorists

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

SilverSupernova posted:

I didn't think Pikmin 2 had a time limit. I remember them just letting you go at your own pace regardless of the threatening letters.
Unless you mean the end of day timers.

Oh, ok. I thought I remembered someone saying that it technically had one but it wasn't an issue for Reasons, but I could easily be misremembering.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh, ok. I thought I remembered someone saying that it technically had one but it wasn't an issue for Reasons, but I could easily be misremembering.

I said that earlier in the LP, but I had remembered wrong! I thought this game still had a time limit, because of the "your boss is being pursued by loan sharks" subplot, but no. It has no time limit, your boss can be on the run for as long as you need him to be.

But even if it did have a time limit, caves would make the time limit fairly trivial. Any given cave except the very first one has like 10% or more of the total treasure you need in them, so clearing them out will very quickly get you towards your goal without advancing the clock to do it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Does the game ever explain why Olimar is so absurdly overqualified for his job as a glorified courier?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I swear I'm trying to have a schedule. Anyway, this next set of episodes come with a slight arachnophobia warning -- there are not actually spiders because they don't have eight legs but they look spidery enough to trigger a phobia so here's your warning!

Episode 22 - Orb Explosions

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Not to nitpick, but it's Nobuo Uematsu. :v: I'll have something more constructive to say when I've finished watching.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

You know, I had a sneaking suspicion that I'd spelled it incorrectly but I thought it was just be being paranoid (I'm dyslexic, it happens a lot and I'm very used to it) so I just left it. Figures that the one time I don't check is the one time I actually needed to :downs:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's all good. Hey, Pikmin digging up buried treasures is even vaguely like Chocobo Hot and Cold! :v:

That level was mean. I swear I saw bombs drop in places you'd already walked past, so I don't think they're one-time triggers or even particularly pre-determined. Just bombs constantly dropping, except when they're spiders instead. :gonk:

E: Also, I panicked but it's OK - Lets Play Every Pikmin Game

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 11, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Well now I have to go play Chocobo Hot & Cold for hours. Thanks Fae.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

AlphaKretin posted:

That level was mean. I swear I saw bombs drop in places you'd already walked past, so I don't think they're one-time triggers or even particularly pre-determined. Just bombs constantly dropping, except when they're spiders instead. :gonk:
They are pre-determined, but they're still totally dickish; some only trigger when you bring Pikmin along with you, others have a specific area trigger but one that's so small you're only likely to hit it when you have a horde with you. You have to go at a crawl and be ready to bug out at a moment's notice or you'll lose half your team and possible even Olimar or Louie as well.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Hello, do you want to watch another LP starring myself and Faerie Fortune? Because I just started a new one of those: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775718

Now all the bad advice I give is immediately put into practice without a second thought! So, it's basically the same.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 23 - I Have To Go Now, The Abyss Needs Me

Ahh beetles, my old nemesis..

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well that literally could not have gone worse. :allea- uh, no, I mean :stonk:, totally!

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
I'm particularly amused by how it didn't go worse during the difficult fight, that part went quite well.
It all went horrible during the 'we're pretty much done with the floor, let's just clean up' stage.
Of course, it was easily preventable, as with most of the mistakes and 'accidents' of this LP - but I'd likely'd gotten bored of it by now if she played perfectly.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I am incredibly proud of how well Fae handled the two gatling gronks on this floor. Those fights went so smoothly!

It's a shame about everything that happened after that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That was beautiful.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
Oh nooooo

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I currently have cracked ribs. This makes it painful to laugh.

I am in agony right now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So close and yet so far. That was as tragic as it was hilarious.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I can't even blame Fae for that one. That was entirely due to one homicidal PIkmin.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hi guys! I've been on vacation for a week and will continue to do so for the next week so have a whole two videos to keep you occupied until I get back!

Episode 24 - I'm Glad We Had That Awful Dream
Episode 25 - Pikmin Is A Cover Shooter Now

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Oh god, use the spotted candypop buds.. they turn 1 pikmin into 8 you guys

EDIT: Man-at-legs notes. I never noticed that the music swells up to the crescendo whenever he pulls out his machine gun. It's really cool, and Pikmin 2 does it for all the bosses when they attack.

Also the piklopedia notes on that thing are horrifying.

...and yeah you'll be coming back to the Subterranean Complex a lot before the last area. It's the only place to grind Purples, as you can get 15 a shot.

legoman727 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 22, 2016

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So nice that everyone is following the honor code and not spoiling things like this so you had the opportunity to respond to machine gun spider the way God intended you to.

That's just one of those curveballs that deserves complete surprise.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

legoman727 posted:

Oh god, use the spotted candypop buds.. they turn 1 pikmin into 8 you guys

I actually did not know this and am very much making a note of it for the future. They were worthless in pikmin 1 and I guess I just never used them in pikmin 2 as a result.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh hey, the pikmin did the thing at 14:30 in the first video.

e: As a professional film reviewer, I give Captain Olimar's performance in The Guns of Navaronia 5/5
That name is so good.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

gnome7 posted:

I actually did not know this and am very much making a note of it for the future. They were worthless in pikmin 1 and I guess I just never used them in pikmin 2 as a result.

there weren't any spotted candypop buds in pikmin 1

• Locked thread