Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I like that Olimar's end of day report says the 38 Pikmin were "lost in battle".
Way to sugar coat the truth there Olimar.

Those Pikmin were not meeting their hourly quotas. We cannot hold onto such negligent workers in the fast paced world of space repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
Fae, as much as you might try, I do not think you can build bridges across water using large quantities of dead pikmin corpses.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

That reminds me actually! So in the first episode, I said "these guys are so cute, I want to make one"

Well, in between the first and second recording sessions, I did this

i love the pikmin! im going to marry it

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I like that Olimar's end of day report says the 38 Pikmin were "lost in battle".
Way to sugar coat the truth there Olimar.

something something caligula

(Fae is obviously more competent than Caligula, though - she'd certainly check for horse-ness before appointing a consul if nothing else)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Aww, thanks guys :3: I am super proud of my little Pikmin friend and since my reaction to seeing a cute thing in a videogame is to immediately make a tiny crochet version of it I do intend to make the yellow and blue ones too so look out for that happening!

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Ohhh, dear. I foresee doom and tears the entire way. :ohdear:

I'll give one suggestion, just to limit a majority of your suffering: you seem to be pretty passively using the camera in a RTS game with a time limit. Don't wait, pay attention to everything if you've got a free moment you don't really need to focus on one thing. Even once you get the map, situational awareness helps prevent clumsy losses like getting a third of your pikmin caught on something like that box in on the first day or two thirds ending up in the water.

Unrelated to gameplay, there seems to be a fair bit of sound problems not being properly emulated, I think. It sounds much more, uh..electronic chirpy...than I remember.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Faylone posted:

Unrelated to gameplay, there seems to be a fair bit of sound problems not being properly emulated, I think. It sounds much more, uh..electronic chirpy...than I remember.

We blame Dolphin for that. Pikmin one doesn't seem to like HLE sound and there were bigger issues with LLE, I think.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I could have sworn this game was out on the N64, but I guess not.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
That whistle button won't bite, y'know. You don't need to just tap it and call pikmin one by one. Paint whole swaths with the whistle circle, all day every day.
The only thing about whistling that you gotta be mindful of is accidentally calling pikmin back from previously assigned tasks (carrying corpses, building bridges, etc).

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 28, 2015

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Pikmin actually was partially spawned from Super Mario 128, which was a tech demo for the Gamecube. I don't know if the N64 could have handled 100 Pikmin existing even if they were sprite based.

Gimbal lock posted:

That whistle button won't bite, y'know.
Only because she's not using one of the worse third-party GC controllers. :suicide:

Faylone fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 28, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Aww, thanks guys :3: I am super proud of my little Pikmin friend and since my reaction to seeing a cute thing in a videogame is to immediately make a tiny crochet version of it I do intend to make the yellow and blue ones too so look out for that happening!

Like, seriously. I will buy one from you. They're that adorable.

Also, its neat that everyone is coming together here and trying to give mechanics help. None of us want to see your adorable buddies die either.

Edit: Uh, Meis. May want to retract that statement, since its -technically- grounds to get probated.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 28, 2015

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Meis posted:

i love the pikmin! im going to marry it

i would like to apologise for this post. i had a lot of wine, and was drunkenly overcome with joy open seeing the cute thing

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

"The Pikmin games are all about fun" my rear end, I rented this game as a child and it was the most stressful video game experience of my life. It was basically "smearing my face with the ashes of my fallen Pikmin" levels of desolation.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Update Time!

Episode 3 - Why Is Dolphin Screaming At Me?

In which we have more than a few technical difficulties!

EDIT: Also for those who may be confused that I'm ignoring their advice, this is the last video that we recorded before the thread went up so if that's the kind of thing that super bugs you, that's why!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 3, 2015

Hugmonster VIII
Jan 5, 2008

i think that turtle
want to race us!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Update Time!

EDIT: Also for those who may be confused that I'm ignoring their advice, this is the last video that we recorded before the thread went up so if that's the kind of thing that super bugs you, that's why!

Is one of those technical difficulties the fact that the whole last 20 minutes of the video is just that drawing? :(

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Unfortunately, yes. For that attempt I switched to OBS to record instead of my usual recording method to see if it would help with our issues, but OBS decided it was having none of that and recorded a black screen.

At this point, gnome and I had played through the third day at least four times, not including attempts where Dolphin crashed on us after like 30 seconds, so for our own sanity we decided to leave it at that and hope everyone would understand! The good news is that I think I've fixed it, although Pikmin is known to have slowdown issues in this area, hopefully there shouldn't be more instances of me panic googling technical issues!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

quote:

Well, it's recording fine according to Screen Share.

:v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Poor Siegmeyer got smushed in that picture.

Also, that Bulborb looks infinitely more terrifying than in the actual game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ChaosArgate posted:

We blame Dolphin for that. Pikmin one doesn't seem to like HLE sound and there were bigger issues with LLE, I think.

Assuming you're using an official GC DSP dump and not the free one that comes with Dolphin, DSP LLE should work fine, though it is more demanding on your hardware. Try that if you haven't yet.

If that doesn't help, try turning on Sync GPU, since Pikmin is known to have Dual Core timing issues. Right-click on the game, select Properties and tick this box:

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 3, 2015

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Fae, I think your Dolphin might be missing some parts. Maybe an eternal fuel dynamo might help with future recordings. :v:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Wall of Fallen Pikmin cannot be accurately updated this session, please hold for accurate casualty reports.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Update Time!

Alternate text: For those of you confused that Fae is ignoring your advice, boy are you in for a bad time :D

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Before, I've only heard about Pikmin from Smash and such. Now I'm starting to realise that the Overlord series was to the Pikmin idea what Darksiders were to Zelda. :v:

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yay, Pikmin 1 and 2 are two of my favourite GameCube games and I'm really happy Faerie Fortune is LPing them.

Also agreeing that I would buy that crocheted pikmin, it's super cute.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Speaking of crochet Pikmin, he made a friend the other day!

:3:

also on the topic of new friends, I'm working on this too!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Faerie Fortune posted:

also on the topic of new friends, I'm working on this too!

Now we just need 97 more and a crochet bulborb to cruelly devour them while you desperately whistle to recreate the Pikmin experience.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

That's a really pretty picture. :3:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Geostomp posted:

Now we just need 97 more and a crochet bulborb to cruelly devour them while you desperately whistle to recreate the Pikmin experience.

a pool of water would suffice

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Faerie Fortune posted:

I know it's a blind LP, but that was ridiculous! :rimshot:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Special shout out to Admiral H. Curtiss, for making this most recent recording session smooth as butter. We've recorded 4 more episodes today, and everything went perfectly.

Progress!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

gnome7 posted:

and everything went perfectly.

I hope you're only talking technically, because otherwise I will be very disappointed. I was promised tragedy!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Actually, it turns out that when I'm not frustrated by Dolphin constantly crashing, I'm actually kind of not awful at Pikmin!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Actually, it turns out that when I'm not frustrated by Dolphin constantly crashing, I'm actually kind of not awful at Pikmin!

Well, after you've gotten the full story that Pikmin can only deal with situations represented by their colors, you should be a bit more golden after all!

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009
I was inspired by Fae's cute amigurumi, so I made this:

It's a magnet. Now I have to make the rest of them or this one will be lonely on my fridge.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Oh goodness that is wonderful! Thank you for sharing with us :3:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Hiilai posted:

It's a magnet. Now I have to make 99 more of them or this one will be lonely on my fridge.

And an Olimar. :3:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 4 - Pikmin Are Terrifying

For reference, the "practice" we refer to in the video was a short session where we hosed with Dolphin a little bit to help the audio issues (serious shout out to Admiral Curtiss for helping with that) and played the entirety of day 4 without actually making progress, just to make sure that Dolphin wouldn't have a fit. Unless something catastrophic happens, all episodes from now on will be completely blind.

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 18, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Drakenel posted:

Like, seriously. I will buy one from you. They're that adorable.

Well hey, now you can do that: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheFairyFountain?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Several Pikmin were lost in battle against the UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
IIRC you can pick the type of Pikmin to throw somehow. Hold A to prep your throw, then switch with the D-Pad, I think? I want to say it's up/down to pick within a color (Leaf/Flower/Bombrock/whatever) and left/right to switch between colors. You can tell which type you have selected by the Pikmin icon at the bottom of your UI, and also by the color of your in-world target cursor.

You don't have to separate the whole group every time you want to throw a specific type is the gist here.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 10, 2015

• Locked thread